USAA Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Two phases, the first you sit down with a recruiter. Mostly behavioral questions, but with a scheduling puzzle as well. The second phase has you at their headquarters. Here, there are two main steps: a team interview, where you rotate between groups of other prospective candidates solving problems, which tests your ability and work with others. Finally, there are interviews where two other employees interview just you. More behavioral questions, but also design questions and another scheduling puzzle.

Interview Questions

• Design an online web and mobile market service given a set of constraints.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at USAA (Plano, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Largely behavioral, with a small on paper technical interview at the end. Asked some questions on the history of the company, expected to know history of it, military background and whatnot. Paper test included some odd questions, such as creating a telecommunications network in an area with no electricity or cell towers.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest strength/weakness?
      Why would you make a good addition to our company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

3 part process. They like to see how you interact with others, they like to ask you developer questions and they like to see you in action it is a very interesting thing and the people are not very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I had a phone interview and a second interview on-site. The phone interview was very laid-back. The questions are mostly based on how you solve problems not coding questions. The second interview was very similar. They ask a lot of "How would you solve this problem" and "Tell me about a time" questions. They also ask 3 questions that evaluate your developer skills, 1 was "Tell me an innovation that would better the customer experience during accident claims"

Interview Questions

• The innovation question was kinda difficult because it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

I was offered an internship somewhere else and I accepted that one instead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA (Plano, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online through the USAA website for one of several positions in their new Plano development office they are opening in 2014. Was contacted by someone in HR within two weeks and was scheduled for a day long interview at their office in Addison. I was one of ten people being interviewed that day and was never told by HR or any other USAA employee what position I was interviewing for. Only two people out of the group had been told which specific position they were interviewing for.

The first part of the interview you a paired up with the other candidates and placed at tables with several managers/project managers and developers and given instructions to complete a task together. Most of the tasks were around scrum practices (refining backlogs, prioritizing stories, etc) one was solving a large sudoku puzzle. The purpose was to see how you interact with the other candidates. After 4 rounds of this we were given lunch and then we started the individual technical interview.

The technical interview was with at least one manager and one developer. Most of the questions were Java related. There were 4 or 5 separate questions that required you to code or show a UML diagram on a whiteboard so be prepared for that. One of the whiteboard questions was poorly worded and neither the manager or developer could explain it well. There were several of the questions the developer admitted he didn't know the answer to or thought they were dumb questions to ask. The developer asked all the questions and was very friendly. The manager on the other hand sat at the table looking disinterested and was texting through 90% of the interview which was unprofessional. He definitely looked and acted like he was ready to head back to San Antonio. At the end of the interview they said they would contact everyone within two weeks and give a yes, no or maybe answer. A little longer than two weeks after my interview I received the generic thanks but no thanks email.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any oddball questions asked. Just be prepared to answer very low level java specific questions (which obscure method from an equally obscure library should you use for this specific use case). Also be prepared for several questions requiring the use of the whiteboard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Got invited to a pre-interview dinner the day before the actual interview. At the interview, they just asked behavioral questions. Then they emailed me for a final interview onsite. When we got there, there was another pre-interview dinner. The next day, two managers interviewed me. Its mostly situational questions, and behavioral questions. One logic question, just a math problem. And then they took us for a campus tour and thats it.

Interview Questions

• Questions like 'if you are to teach several students a language you have never seen, how would you go about teaching it to the students'. Another one was "what is the greatest risk you've ever taken".   Answer Question