USAA Reviews

Updated May 9, 2021

3.8
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock
Pros
  • "great benefits and management team(in 627 reviews)

• "Amazing Benefits; Amazing coworkers; great work-life balance(in 226 reviews)

• Cons
  • "USAA has many former military ppl(in 135 reviews)

• "Mostly call center environment if you don't want to take calls all day long(in 110 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of USAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great culture and sense of mission

Apr 11, 2021 - Product Development Manager in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and great to work with, the strong sense of mission helps everyone rally around a common cause

Cons

Could have better compensation growth

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good for long term career

May 7, 2021 - Member Service Representative II in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are basically set for retirement which makes you want to stay.

Cons

It’s cut throat. You need a masters to move up or even be able to compete.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work. They really care about employees and lots of opportunities to grow.

May 8, 2015 - Risk Analyst in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Life work balance, great benefit package and nice colleagues. The goal of the company is providing the best service to its members. So, they treat employees the best to encourage them to do the same for members.

Cons

Slow IT support, limited interactions with industry. Banking business is not as mature as insurance.

283 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent place to work, great benefits and culture

Dec 6, 2017 - SIU Investigator I With 25 Years Experience in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture, honesty and devotion to members and employees. Incredible benefits and perks. Salary is average, but annual and Christmas bonus make it surpass competition. Excellent Veteran employment opportunity

Cons

IT. Remote employees/work at home/ often issues take many calls to resolve.

238 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Please read this review!! Proceed with caution.

Apr 23, 2021 - New Member Solutions Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, PTO, work at home.

Cons

THIS JOB IS STRESSFUL. This is a very challenging sales role, and believe me, it is a sales role. Only elite sales professionals will strive at this job, but you won’t be compensated as such (no commission, very little pay increases). In pursuit of being a compliant company and not getting slapped with fines, your sales “process” will be extremely filtered. They do not give you the tools to truly sell over the phone, but expect substantial results. Talking to perspective members and customers all day is like any call center job, it can weigh on you heavily and can be exhausting. USAA members/customers will talk to you with a sense of entitlement if they meet the eligibility requirements and will frequently attack you professionally, verbally, and in rare cases personally because of this perceived entitlement. This is a hard sales role, with at times difficult customers, high metric standards, and a lack there of tools to achieve your high sales goals. If you are a seasoned sales professional and bored in your life, this would be a great challenge to see if you can succeed in this environment. If you have little to no sales experience, you may struggle greatly. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!

6 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0

Great benefits, Lower than average base pay, Good people

Apr 12, 2021 - Software Engineer III in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, positive work environment. Feels like people actually care about the products and customers.

Cons

Compensation is low up front. They do make up for it someone with less transparent compensation like yearly bonus and holiday bonus. But they should really up the base pay to stay competitive.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Almost Perfect, Hopefully Improving

May 4, 2021 - Software Engineer I in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work environment, people, tools, culture

Cons

Pay, “Agile” methodology, Promotions, Salary Increases

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A good company with good benefits and great people, but growth is changing executive management's culture.

May 4, 2021 - Data Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Time off in abundance, great employee culture, did all the right things during covid, retirement match of 8%, annual (but ever shrinking) bonus of ~10%, sometimes interesting work.

Cons

"Work life balance" is kind of a meme, salaried people work way too long, executive management is slowly cutting / changing employee benefits, rapid growth in the 2010's caused some compliance heartburn, which is ongoing.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's complicated...

Feb 16, 2021 - Software Developer and Integrator III
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's certainly a place where you can stick around for a long time. The 8% 401k match is great, the other benefits are good, and there is a program for newer hires that can help you make friends. I had a few other new hires on my project team, which helped a lot.

Cons

I got fired from USAA because of a bad manic health episode, for which I ended up hospitalized. Looking back, there was an opportunity to deal with me carefully and humanely. It should have been obvious that over about 2 weeks, my mental health was progressively deteriorating, and I was clearly not behaving normally, in contrast with the rest of my time on the job. I did not feel like there was proper due diligence in figuring out why I was acting that way; rather, the focus was on what I was doing. Instead, I lost employment (and health insurance) at a highly vulnerable moment, and it took at least 1.5 years, if not longer, to regain my footing professionally. This is a very specific case, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. For me, it's extra infuriating because USAA deals with military service members, and mental illness is very common in that community. Surely they have at least some experience having to deal with that. To be fair, this is not a situation I would expect most companies to resolve well. But that would mark the difference between a typical corporate establishment and a fantastic company.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best company hands down

Apr 30, 2021 - Licensed Property and Casualty Agent in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked for a company who cares about their employees like USAA does-they are the best, hands down, that I have ever worked for or heard about! Pay, bonuses, benefits, work/life balance-all excellent!

Cons

Job is repetitive and boring, I didn't like having to try to transfer people to the financial planners and meeting that goal-I think a lot of people got transferred who were not happy about it

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,715 Reviews