USAA VETFIT Java Developer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1.0

VETFIT Java Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Day 1, I submitted my resume and application via USAA's website.

Day 13, I recieve a pre-selection email asking me to take a logic test on the SHL.com website. The sample question was easy so I decided to take it on my phone, big mistake. Take it when you have a pencil and paper ready, these are complex questions that super difficult to do in your head. I had 3 minutes to complete each of the 15 questions, I was unable to finish 4 of them before the 3 minutes expired. I did not get the results for the others, but I think I got the other 11 right.

On D+17 I unexpectedly received an invitation to a 2 hour Vet Information Session where we would meet with IT staff who were vets and they would describe in much greater detail what the Internship entailed and as well as about 15 minutes to mix with the staff and the other candidates. I counted 46 candidates at the Vet Information session. I asked about 8 questions and the job was much different than I expected.

D+47 USAA hosted a Business Casual Dinner meeting with IT staff at Paisanos, there were about 22 attendees, and I was in the first of two groups. At the dinner they give you a couple of instructions, like bring 2 copies of your resume, your name tag from the event, and advice on what to wear. There were 6 USAA employees that sat among us at our tables and fielded questions. I asked a lot of questions and the employees were able to answer them all in great detail.

On D+48 both groups joined together for an breakfast at 8am, and interviews. A couple of us, myself included, forgot one of the things they told us to bring at the dinner. I thought for sure it caused me to bomb the interview. Half the group stayed in the room and watched a movie, the other half went with 2 USAA interviewers to different private conference rooms. In my interview there was a junior employee (16 months experience) and a manager with 6 years experience. The junior employee was a former air force junior NCO and the manager was a retired officer. We sat at a table across from each other. They asked me some informational questions from my resume like if I had any other schooling besides what was there and where I am from originally. Then they gave me two written problem solving questions which I had 10 minutes to finish. I wrote as much as I could write in about 20 minutes, and then they asked me to brief them what my answer was. The first question had to do with what steps I would take to solve an overwhelmed call center who spent 95% of their time answering calls for a new IT product that had just been fielded. The second one was to think of a product USAA should develop for the military community and then defend why it would meet the military community's needs. I broke down the problems into different areas and then told them how I could improve manning, maintenance, communication, and review processes. These are questions for which there are no right answers but they want to see if you get rattled when they get asked. Then after that, they asked me about 10 interview style personality questions like whether I like to work alone or in teams, how do I like to solve difficult problems, what shows that I have technical skills, could I do a job which required me to work as part of a team. Again, these were very easy questions. By the time of the interview, there were 43 candidates. At lunch they served us TexMex food and we finished by 2 pm. I did not expect to hear from them.

D+50 I received an email saying I had to report for a urinalysis and fill out background check information within 24 hours. I did it that day. The next day, I received a call from a guy introducing me as my manager. It was a USAA employee who often headed the different meetings as part of the interview process. He told me that I had been one of the 23 that got hired.

Interview Questions

• When you had an interpersonal conflict with someone, how did you handle it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The intern program is non-negotiable, however, I understand the period afterwards is negotiable if you have 10+ years of relevant experience, a masters/PHd in a relevant field, or a related terminal IT certification.