Yankee Candle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yankee Candle Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2017

2.2

Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

Was sourced by an internal recruiter at the company for a brand manager position out in their Western Massachusetts office. The entire day was well-planned, but I didn't get much of a tour ahead of my first interview. The questions posed by the first woman I met with, one of two Directors, seemed very constructed and straightforward. When answering, even if I spoke for 1-2 minutes, I could tell she was bored. I came prepped with my research, a marketing campaign idea, and associated presentation, and she has no interest in any of my work. It was a great position on paper, but the company culture seems to have a lot lacking. Additionally, everyone I met that day said they were trying to "change" the culture of the company, but didn't seem very aligned with their feedback. Lots of red flags. I wouldn't consider relocating here for this position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Basic behavioral questions etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lake Grove, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Lake Grove, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I walked in the store and asked to speak to a manager, where I then told her of my past experience at another Yankee Candle location and asked if the store was hiring. The manager was extremely kind and right away gave me an application and asked me to come back the next day. When I did so, she asked me a few questions about my work ethic and why I have again chosen to work at Yankee Candle. The whole interview was very relaxed and I felt totally comfortable. I was hired on the spot, I look forward to starting!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe an instance where I had a difficult time following the rules.   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, CO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Castle Rock, CO) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was very pleasent and easy. The manager who did it was very friendly and cheerful and was very passionate about Yankee Candle and made it seem like a great place to work.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in January 2017.

Interview

Very unprofessional manager conducting interview. Waited way too long for a background check. Tell me why it takes well over 3 weeks to hear from a manager about your background. No other companies take that long.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about childcare!   1 Answer

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was great, I had several interviews with the District Manager and also the Regional District Manager , both on the phone and in person. Both the District Manager and the Regional District Manager were super nice and overall it was a good experience. My advice is to know about their products and be an avid shopper with Yankee Candle. If you already know and love their products it is an easy interview.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

When I interviewed, they were opening a new store, so I was actually interviewed by another store's manager as they needed to hire an entire staff for this new store. The interview was simple. I filled out a lengthy questionnaire and afterward went over my answers with the manager. She was casual and laid back, and we made small talk throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were about personality and work habits/skills. How would you handle situations, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Southlake, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The Manager brought me into the back room for a one on one, she was very nice. She read my application papers (which, at least at the store I worked at, must be sent physically and not electronically) and asked me about my schedule, interests, skills, etc...

Interview Questions

• Do you have any special skills?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO).

Interview

Filled out info card in the store after seeing a hiring sign. I was called a few days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The interview was conducted by the temporary manager because their manager left and they are looking for a new one. She asked me basic questions. The type of questions no job even asks anymore like "what are your strengths/weaknesses," and "if you were an animal, which would you be." I thought it was inappropriate that she asked my age.Those questions don't mean anything and don't help employers evaluate potential candidates. Overall it took about 15 mins. The interviewer was nice, but really out of her element conducting interviews. After, she told me they'd call the following Monday to let me know. 3 weeks later and have not heard anything. I just think it's really unprofessional not to even give someone the courtesy of following up or doing what you say you'll do. I know it's hard to tell someone he/she doesn't have the job, but still! It'd be nice to know either way.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      If you were an animal, which would you be and why?
      Feel free to tell me your age or whatever you want about yourself.
      What is your sales/retail experience?   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I applied both online and in person at the store. I wrote my availabilty on an interest card and they called me within a week. The interview was mostly easy behavioral and back round experience questions. I was offered the position but there was no negotiation on the salary.

Interview Questions

• Experience with managing sales associates?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/a

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pembroke Pines, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Pembroke Pines, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

I walked into the store asking for the manager to ask if they're hiring, what are the requirements, etc. The manager wasn't there so another associate gave me an application packet but emphasized that i needed to be 18. (i'm 17..) When i went to turn the packet in the manager was entering and i shook her hand, gave her my name and left. Exactly one week later they called me in for an interview. Store Manager was busy so the District Manager held the interview. It was individual.

Interview Questions

• What products do you own from Yankee Candle?   1 Answer
    • In my resume (i'm still in highschool) she asked what do i do in the clubs im in   Answer Question
    • how do i act as a leader/what leadership qualities do i have   Answer Question