Yankee Candle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 5, 2017

2.2

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was great, I had several interviews with the District Manager and also the Regional District Manager , both on the phone and in person. Both the District Manager and the Regional District Manager were super nice and overall it was a good experience. My advice is to know about their products and be an avid shopper with Yankee Candle. If you already know and love their products it is an easy interview.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

When I interviewed, they were opening a new store, so I was actually interviewed by another store's manager as they needed to hire an entire staff for this new store. The interview was simple. I filled out a lengthy questionnaire and afterward went over my answers with the manager. She was casual and laid back, and we made small talk throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were about personality and work habits/skills. How would you handle situations, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Southlake, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The Manager brought me into the back room for a one on one, she was very nice. She read my application papers (which, at least at the store I worked at, must be sent physically and not electronically) and asked me about my schedule, interests, skills, etc...

Interview Questions

• Do you have any special skills?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO).

Interview

Filled out info card in the store after seeing a hiring sign. I was called a few days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The interview was conducted by the temporary manager because their manager left and they are looking for a new one. She asked me basic questions. The type of questions no job even asks anymore like "what are your strengths/weaknesses," and "if you were an animal, which would you be." I thought it was inappropriate that she asked my age.Those questions don't mean anything and don't help employers evaluate potential candidates. Overall it took about 15 mins. The interviewer was nice, but really out of her element conducting interviews. After, she told me they'd call the following Monday to let me know. 3 weeks later and have not heard anything. I just think it's really unprofessional not to even give someone the courtesy of following up or doing what you say you'll do. I know it's hard to tell someone he/she doesn't have the job, but still! It'd be nice to know either way.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      If you were an animal, which would you be and why?
      Feel free to tell me your age or whatever you want about yourself.
      What is your sales/retail experience?
      Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I applied both online and in person at the store. I wrote my availabilty on an interest card and they called me within a week. The interview was mostly easy behavioral and back round experience questions. I was offered the position but there was no negotiation on the salary.

Interview Questions

• Experience with managing sales associates?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/a

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pembroke Pines, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Pembroke Pines, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

I walked into the store asking for the manager to ask if they're hiring, what are the requirements, etc. The manager wasn't there so another associate gave me an application packet but emphasized that i needed to be 18. (i'm 17..) When i went to turn the packet in the manager was entering and i shook her hand, gave her my name and left. Exactly one week later they called me in for an interview. Store Manager was busy so the District Manager held the interview. It was individual.

Interview Questions

• What products do you own from Yankee Candle?   1 Answer
    • In my resume (i'm still in highschool) she asked what do i do in the clubs im in   Answer Question
    • how do i act as a leader/what leadership qualities do i have   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Evansville, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

Picked up an application, dropped it off, got a call from the general manager to come in, etc. They actually interviewed me on the spot and the manager was really professional.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colonial Heights, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Colonial Heights, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I got there 10 minutes earlier than I was supposed to be and still ended up waiting 20 while the manager finished eating lunch. When she finally came out she said the backroom was too small for an interview and we ended up sitting on a bench in the middle of the mall, which i didn't have a problem with. She asked me the basic questions. Was polite and seemed nice. It didn't take more than maybe 15 minutes.

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

The manager met with me and was very kind and engaging. We not only interviewed, but we talked about ourselves as well, a little bit about our personalities, our experiences, different work environments. I felt very comfortable during the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked about prior work experience and different work situations. I had worked two jobs before this one, and she asked about situations that applied to both. She asked if I enjoyed my time at both places and how I came to work there.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sicklerville, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Sicklerville, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process took a week and 4 days. I submitted my application in person on a Wednesday and was called that same day to schedule an interview. The interview took place on Friday the week after and was a one on one, very personal and easy basic questions. I was called back the next monday and was told that I got the job and that I'd start work a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Whats your availability like? Whats your favorite scent? How would you sell that scent to a customer? Why do you want to work at yankee candle? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Payment is minimum wage. Non negotiatable in any way.