Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• I get no face time with senior leadership, and as a result, I never get rewarded the way a "real" employee would (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I 💜 BV!"

Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been a BV'er for over two years now and I love working here just as much as I did on my first day. Like every company, we are constantly going through change. The Execs are transparent about what the company is trying to do and I appreciate that. Love my team. I have the best VPs, managers and teammates I could ask for. My ideas and opinion are respected. As for the company itself, great culture, we celebrate our achievements, BV offers a competitive salary with room for growth, excellent benefits, flexible hours with work from home options. BV truly understands the importance of work-life balance. I could never go back to the old school management style of the corporate world.

Cons

We all work hard and play hard. When it's time to work, we get it done, even if that means working on the weekends or in the late evening sometimes. This doesn't happen often, but it's a trade off for having so much flexibility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for keeping all of us moving forward. #OTOD

2. "First class R&D org"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked in several teams at Bazaarvoice, and the engineers have only gotten better and better. The teams are smart and collaborative. Folks are genuinely interested in achieving common goals, no ego-battles. The engineers are creative; they enjoy participating in design. These folks are a joy to work with. Also, is there isn't elitism. If you're a junior person, but you have a good idea, folks recognize it. It's such a great, trusting environment where ideas can be shared.

If you are hoping to develop your career, I'd say that engineering has the most developed career path. You can work your way from intern to principle. Product Management is next in line. There is associate, staff, senior, group, director, and VP. However, I think PM is kind of flattening a bit; most everyone is senior. Design is the least developed, with just senior, lead, and director. Historically, there has not been an entry-level opportunity on the UX team.

Cons

UX / product design at Bazaarvoice has been somewhat neglected the past 4 years or so. We had an excellent director that left around 2013, and Bazaarvoice was extremely slow to hire his replacement. The team was so desperate for a leader and mentor, they made a couple very bad hiring decisions in a row. The team was demoralized by overly aggressive, insecure management. Right now the team is leaderless again, so the designers are without a mentor or representation or a plan for growth. Although the position is posted, there doesn't seem to be much urgency around the hire.

Advice to Management

Bazaarvoice's company culture is precious. Never take it for granted, and continue to honor it in hiring decisions.

"Crap / Junk / Trash"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People with cheap mentality can survive.

Cons

Cultish and crap organization. Looks like will have a great downfall in coming years.

Advice to Management

Get rid of fakers in the higher management.

"Texan Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the tangible things are amazing - building, location, snacks. There are beautiful TVs in every meeting room, sometimes 4 70" sets so everyone can see. Great co-workers and a set of products which are second to none! The in-house Whole Foods usually has some great options, and stepping out for lunch near the Domain, Arboretum, and Arbor Walk areas means plenty of choice. Compensation is closer to the top end for most positions, as I think BV doesn't have the brand recognition of Apple, Google, Facebook and others, while competing for the same level of talent. Everyone here strives to "make it work" and I usually feel like the whole company embraces the mantra of "one team, one dream."

Cons

It can be alienating if you're not cut from the same cloth. BV is certainly a younger company, and there can be generational friction sometimes. If you're a recovering alcoholic, I'm sure the constant reminders of free beer and widespread appreciation of alcohol would be difficult. The company culture is such that we are quick to celebrate our successes but failures tend to only filter through the grapevine.

Advice to Management

You've built a wonderful, modern presence in a key area of town. That's the clearest sign of the maturing company. Next steps should involve an increased focus on process, and a willingness to step back from problems and talk about them authentically. Don't be scared of challenges from your employees. We don't think less of you for taking hard questions, but we do question leadership when it seems your message is polished to the point of being so inoffensive it's bland or useless.

"Can help."

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

You can manage your work time easily. Good training.

Cons

-Low pay
    -Not really room for improvement
    -terribly repetitive

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, culture and benefits

Cons

things change when you get bigger and not right for all people.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Disaster"

Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office, PTO, good parking

Cons

Client Care management is untrustworthy, manipulative, and a culture killer. The team is overworked and under appreciated. This is what happens when you promote folks with no relevant management experience, or bring in your boy's club buddies even if they're a bad fit.

Advice to Management

Survey your team about their leaders. These people are organizational poison.

Bazaarvoice Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Client Services

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We take our manager performance seriously. In just the last six months preceding your review, we have, in fact, done 360 reviews of our client care ... More

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, laid back people, competitive pay, thorough training, client-obsessed, fantastic product, wonderful benefits!

Cons

The office is in north Austin, it's a little inconvenient if you live further south. Can feel a little slow at the beginning between the end of training and the ramp up of work.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring good people! I love working here for many reason, but great colleagues is a big part of it!

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Great people and place to work

Cons

Hard to move up and some favoritism

11. "Good with challenges"

Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and culture

Cons

Ever shifting strategy that lacks execution