Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home and mostly on your own schedule (in 27 reviews)

• Work Life Balance - The PTO offering here is more flexible than any other PTO set up that I've seen in my 14 years of experience (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • recent management change after which a lot of long-term employees left, high turnover of staff (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing fast and they sometimes suffer from growing pains (in 6 reviews)

1. "Content Analyst"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and good training.

Cons

There are no downsides to the job.

Advice to Management

None.

"Great culture, non-transparent Executive Leadership"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BV has a great culture, there is a definite sense of teamwork and friendship between coworkers. I have loved almost every second of my time here! There is an abundance of work to be done, you will never be bored and anyone will help you with anything you have questions on!

Cons

ELT says they are very transparent, yet I have never felt like I knew the whole story. Every couple years there are large layoffs and you never quite know when one is going to appear or which group will get cut. Makes for a very unsteady feeling throughout the office.

Advice to Management

If you are going to be transparent then do that. Please don't keep the lower level employees in the dark.

"Content Analyst"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time

Pros

Work from home and mostly on your own schedule

Cons

I didn't have any problems here.

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice (More than a year)

Pros

Great office location and fun people to work with.

Cons

Pay can be slightly higher.

"Great place to work but poor mid level management sets back the company vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work environment, great vision, great use of technology , cool office and very good location, transparency in strategic goals

Cons

Loss of talented and experienced people because of incapable managers - and a symbolic HR team meeting these managers' requests rather than working on placement of correct person to correct role, never questioning the manager's managerial experience and skills . Unfortunately better and skilled managers are not able to promote.

Advice to Management

Management is a skill but still can be developed by trainings in some extent. Please be aware of the managers who are not working but more talking and let them know management is NOT - having fun with your 'favorite' subordinates- NOT feeding them with candies and chocolate when under pressure - NOT letting your subordinates gossip about other team members. Train your managers and your People&Talent team !

"Really good work-from-home job"

Former Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible schedules, above average earning potential (that's completely in your control), friendly management staff

Cons

The work itself can get rote if you're someone who needs a lot of mental stimulation

Advice to Management

Don't be so rigid when processor/proofer disputes arise. Since most disputes concluded with my being wrong and the other person being right (even when they definitely weren't), I sometimes wondered if preexisting rapport factored too much into management's opinions.

7. "Working at BV"

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great office. Lots of management changes when I was there and positioning changes

Cons

lot's of competitors who provide the same service at a cheaper price point

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great people and culture

Cons

Org changes are very frequent

"The best company you could work for"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Open communication between management and employees - This company does a great job of having weekly 1x1 meetings to discuss your progression in the company. Managers have an open door policy and are easily approachable if you have any issues.
    2. Excellent culture - BV is like working at Facebook or Google! There are global meetings monthly to keep you updated on the status of the company. There's a Whole Foods Express with decent menu options and there are even beer kegs on every floor as long as you're responsible! This place definitely is a self-starting culture, so as long as you work hard, you can enjoy little subtle things you don't get anywhere else. Casual dress, ping pong, even having a margarita at your desk!
    3. Work Life Balance - The PTO offering here is more flexible than any other PTO set up that I've seen in my 14 years of experience. So feel free to take that day off when you need it, or WFH when you need it, but just like everything in life, don't get carried away and take 2 weeks off a month. That's not acceptable.
    4. Career growth - This place has excellent career growth opportunities and lateral movement opportunities. They promote from within, so if you are in one position and see an opportunity on another team, go for it! Also, a lot of career fields at BV allow for growth within that same team. So if you come in with the right attitude and work hard, you won't be stagnant.
    5. NO MICRO MANAGEMENT. Again, this is based on your work ethic, but if you work hard and do what's asked of you, no one is going to be over your shoulder. If you want to come in a little later in the mornings, that's fine, just make sure your work doesn't suffer and you don't miss any meetings.

Seriously, if you come in here and have an excellent work ethic along with a team player attitude, you will love every second here. If you come in with a close minded attitude and not being a team player, this definitely isn't the company for you.

Cons

1. There are very minor office politics here, but this isn't anything to be alarmed about as this happens anywhere you go. The best thing to do with this is understand what represents an actual issue versus individual people that you may have difficulty in getting along with. Overall, the open door policy with your managers helps combat this. Just be fair in your assessment of any situations, and trust your managers.
    2. Lack of defined processes. This is also being "nitpicky" but sometimes there aren't definitive processes in place for certain things. So navigating an environment of ambiguity is sometimes necessary. I don't consider this a bad thing since it means you can take initiative and define those processes.
    3. Sometimes company growth can stall if they don't meet certain budget requirements. This is self explanatory and doesn't happen often at all, but I can see how it could be a concern to some people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep your open door policy and keep taking care of your employees!

10. "Great Company"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time

Pros

flexible schedule, remote working

Cons

no cons since i've been working