Bazaarvoice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Implementation Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process started with a scheduled phone interview with a Management team member in your department. The 2nd part was back-to-back interviews with 4 team members, including your prospective manager. The final/3rd part was a presentation relevant to your role. Overall I thought it was a great & challenging process and really helped me make the decision to work with a great team/company.

Interview Questions

• There were general interview questions and transparent discussions around the PM processes and issues. The presentation was where they tested you on your role via live role play of a Kickoff meeting with the client and key stakeholders.   Answer Question

Commercial Relations Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

Yesterday I had my onsite interview, where I spoke for 30 minutes each with: 1) the hiring manager; 2) manager of a related work group; and, 2) a would be colleague/fellow Commercial Relations Director. This onsite followed two initial phone interviews, first by the internal recruiting manager, then by the hiring manager. If I had made it through yesterday's round, then I would have gone on to some type of scenario role play "test."
    While I was very disappointed in the outcome, I was pleased:
    1. That the process was so quick. Although the initial phone interview with the recruiting manager was scheduled for more than 2 weeks out, once held, I was in the system. After speaking with the recruiting manager, she had me speak with the hiring manager the very next day. Following this second call, I was onsite for interviews within 2 business days. And, while not the answer I wanted, I received word in less than 24 hours that I wasn't going to move forward in the process.
    2. When I asked for feedback on the interviews, that the recruiting manager picked up the phone and provided personal, meaningful feedback on the interviews, where I faltered, and what I could do to improve. When was the last time that a company actually responded to any request; or if responded, felt that their hands were tied and couldn't say anything. The insights were very helpful.
    3. To learn that my instincts were right...Bazaarvoice is a place where I would want to work.
    As hard as the lessons were, I learned that:
    1. Anything said negatively about a former employer (red flag, right?!), no matter how remote or inconsequential, is a severe no no! Even when I used an example of how I turned around the relationship with one of our largest clients, I should not have said something to the effect that, "Part of the reason we got into that situation to begin with, was that as the leader in our market niche, we, as an organization, had become somewhat arrogant." Really made sense in the context of the story...but any negativity is not to be tolerated.
    2. The three interviewers each have specific tasks/areas to watch for. It's not just a matter of finding out who is available to check the guy out.
    While it's difficult for many to get to the initial phone interview stage, once there, the overall process was extremely well-run.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bazaarvoice, or why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • You seem to be more qualified for another area of the company. Why are you interviewing for this position, or what makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Process was fairly rapid. Got contacted by recruiter who asked me some challenging questions for an initial phone screen. She then recommended that I move onto the next round which consisted of 3 minute face to face interviews with the hiring manager, a VP, and a VP of an interrelated area. These interviews took place about 4 days later and were back to back. The recruiter was good but not great in returning queries/emails. She cancelled our first phone screen by calling about 30 minutes late and moving it to the next day. I understand people get called into meetings, but this was still very unprofessional.

All three interviews consisted of basic behavioral interview questions. "Tell me about a time you had to overcome adversity" etc. There is a strong focus on product knowledge, competitor knowledge (PowerReviews), and general UGC strategy and use in the market place.

Next I was required to do a mock presentation that basically said present to us like you are a BV sals person and we are a VP of merchandising who has 2nd hand knowledge of BV products. I ended up presenting to 6 people. In this section it is important that you are able to come up with the general script they tell to clients and stay on task when they try to ask you questions. The questions they ask you are typical in a sales presentation. If you are able to stick to the value of the product and not be afraid to say "i dont know" when you dont know the answer then you will be fine. My issue was that I generally sell from a white board because i usually know my product better than anyone in the room. In this case, I did not know their product as well as them and was forced to use a slide deck which is unnatural for me. My presentation was disjointed and without logical flow because I tried to answer questions as they come up as I would in a white board type presentation. Make sure you control the room and address questions at the end if necessary.

After the pres they huddled for about 10 minutes and came back in the room to tell me they were not moving forward in the process. This was nice to get instant feedback and be treated like a "man" rather than just be ignored like many do now in talent acquisition.

Most of the information required for these steps can be gleaned by reading the blog. BV seems to prefer candidates that are high energy, and very enthusiastic about UGC. It is an interesting company. Some might term the culture a bit cultish. I will admit that I am disappointed that I did not get the offer but it was probably for the best. They use terms like "we are looking for a rock star" a lot and there is a lot of high-fiveing in the office. It seemed a bit sophomoric to me and I think that as they move towards an IPO, they are going to have to "grow up" a little as an organization. It is hard to describe, but imagine being surrounded by a bunch of mid 20 somethings at 4:45 on a Friday that are itching to go out to happy hour. Coming from a large, mature sales org, it just seemed immature and I have questions about their ability to run a 1000+ person company. As far as I know, no one in the c level of the organization has ever managed a company that is the size they are now, much less what they will be.

If you want to get a good model of what BV is going to look like post IPO check out Rackspace as a reference. It too was in hyper growth and is now having big time growing pains as they adjust to the demands placed on them as a public company.

Also, I had some concerns about the model they are using. They are getting hammered on the low end by PowerReviews as they give away the software for "free" and monetize the data vs monetizing the SaaS. This is similar to the OSS movement one sees in the rest of the software world which is playing major havoc on the IBMs, Oracle, SAPs et. al. I think that PowerReviews is going to be a much bigger problem for BV unless they start to do invest more time in the data that is in house.

Finally, they pay well below market. Pay was discussed on the first call at 150OTE. I continued with the interview process knowing this would not work for me with hopes that I could negotiate it up should I get the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why would a customer pick us over PowerReviews   1 Answer
    • What is your favorite BV product and why?   1 Answer

Contract/Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

I had a phone screen and was told immediately what the position paid (which I thought was low) and that it required at least 50-60 hours per week. The whole thing seemed very curt, the interviewer asked me only one question- what I would do if a salesperson wanted me to sign a contract because no one with signature authority was in the office at the time. She asked if I had any questions and when I asked them it sort of seemed like she didn't really understand them. She told me the way their hiring process worked was that she met with the interviewing people at the end of each day and they decided who they wanted to interview and that she would let me know either way first thing the next morning. Cool I thought, at least I'll know either way. I heard nothing until 10 days later when I got an email that they had already hired someone.

This may very well be a good place to work but it didn't feel like a good fit for me. I know that this is an employer's market but underpaying people and expecting them to work ridiculous hours does not breed loyalty, if I had been offered a job there I would have taken it and then bailed at the first better offer that came along.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a sales person who really wanted to close a sale asked you to sign a contract because no one with signature authority was in the office?   1 Answer

Junior QA Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice in January 2015.

Interview

Applied though the company website. Received an email from the recruiter the next day wanting to set up a call. After a 30 minute call with the recruiter she set up a call with the hiring manager. Then I was asked to come in for a face to face with the team, 4 members for 30 minutes each. Everything moved quickly and the recruiter was informative of the process and next steps. The office and staff were very professional, setting a great example of what may come.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Asked what I considered my strengths and weaknesses are individually and with a team.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview was on campus and taking about 45 minutes . Mostly asking questions about my resume, like what were the projects going, what languages I used, what's the hardest/challenging parts of the projects, etc. In the last he asked me to implement a hash table, which needs two functions, put and get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX).

Interview

Questions -
    2. Print a binary tree in snake order ie 1st level left to right, 2nd level right to left, 3rd left to right and so on.
    3. How would you design a replacement for 5 category manual labelling system of a review?
    4. How many zeroes are there in decimal representation of all numbers(1,2...n) upto a given number n?
    5. Given a service what would you compromise on among CAP? Open discussion on it.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe how would you design a service health monitoring and alerting service?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter's interview who directly asks you what your 'rate' is, followed by technical phone interview.
    The recruitment process in bazaarvoice is so broken, they do not know how to assess technical talent. The company was looking for a person who can learn what they are doing in a R&D and work on it. Guess who they chose to interview candidates! An inexperienced graduate degree passout! Probably because the team is full of inexperienced graduates doing R&D. Moreover the lady was rude in the interview when asked about what qualities they are looking for that position. Not a good place to learn and develop for any experienced candidates.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult. What is the most difficult technical problem encountered in your career.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

built an automated application that display some stat metrics from a database with charts and user friendly, using php, ajax, html, css... presentation and explain the thought process that was behind the project.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR, nothing techinical quesitons asked. Then HR scheduled a technical phone interview. In 30 minutes, I received a phone from HR, saying that I did well in the phone interview, and they wanted to schedule a onsite interview. They have 6 rounds, with 45 minutes each round. They asked various questions, including coding, sql, behavior questions, etc. The interviewers are nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice.

Interview

I had a phone screen interview first. Introduce yourself and then a coding practice. To find the missing number in n numbers which are in 0~n-1. After passing the phone interview, I got arranged to go to their office to have an onsite, which lasts for 6~7 hours. 6 technical interviews and 1 lunch interview. Most of problems come from crackTheInterview.

Interview Questions

• I came out of all the problems. But may be not very smooth. I didn't get the offer.   Answer Question