CarMax Reviews

3.8
CarMax President & CEO Bill Nash
Bill Nash
1,839 Ratings

What people are saying about CarMax

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are good and affordable(in 509 reviews)
  • "Great people and the IDEA is great.(in 282 reviews)
  • "CarMax provides great training and is on the cutting edge of technology for the industry.(in 250 reviews)
  • "Culture is great and rewarding(in 153 reviews)
  • "coworkers are great and friendly!(in 110 reviews)
Cons
  • "starting pay is low and because the company is getting pretty large they are slow to change.(in 300 reviews)
  • "Poor management made up of people who don't know what they are doing and lack the industry standard common sense.(in 297 reviews)
  • "Managers have to write observations on you for everything that you do good or bad.(in 214 reviews)
  • "Like any car dealership you’re expected to work long hours and come in on off days(in 184 reviews)
  • "You work on commission only and other employees are pretty cut throat when it comes to money.(in 143 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CarMax and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Unlike Any Other Place I've Worked

Sep 21, 2021 - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

CarMax is an amazing place to work. It is unlike any other corporate environment that I've ever worked in. 1. Your supervisor cares deeply about you as a person. I have never had a supervisor care this much about my professional development. I have weekly check ins, I always know where I stand and she ALWAYS has my back. I've been in conversations talking about making sure we think about how to prevent burnout for certain associates and how to make things better for people. 2. It is very flexible. I have worked at home since I began working with CarMax, however, I've been able to work with my supervisor to make sure I can meet the bus every day. There is also a lot of respect for time away from the office - if you are out, people do not try to contact you or ask you to deal with things. 3. They really do work hard to live up to their values. When I interviewed, I thought that everyone was putting the company in the best light. Everything they talked about is true. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop - but seriously, it is as good as advertised. 4. I have all of the tools and resources I need to do my job.

Cons

The interview process is intense! It really is designed to make sure the right people are hired, but it is stressful for the candidate.

33 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Nice

May 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice environment, work on your own

Cons

It can get very hot

3. 4.0

CarMax

May 24, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Doing a good job; great!

Cons

Not any at this time.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

May 21, 2022 - Warehouse Worker in Good Hope, Optional[AL]
    Business Outlook

Pros

Goodness what a beautifully decorated

Cons

Good night love mommy love

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

May 21, 2022 - Management Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company culture Room for advancement Promotes from within

Cons

Retail hours at the store level

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

KoolAid is Tasty Some Days, but Others...

May 21, 2022 - Customer Experience Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Work Environment, with a high focus on individual growth, and providing an Iconic Experience for the customers. Transparency is key, and communication vital.

Cons

Sometimes, especially in remote positions, wires can get crossed. More than one person can be working on the same thing, and there can be some cattiness amongst fellow co workers, and even supervisors.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not bad to work for.

May 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Vehicle discount, vacation and sick time

Cons

Scheduling, dealing with customers. Dealing with other departments, working in the heat and rain

Continue reading
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Nice

May 19, 2022 - VCA in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work for people starting out

Cons

Lot of physical activity here

Continue reading
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

May 19, 2022 - Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

autonomy, friendly coworkers, low stress work environment

Cons

slow season means lower pay with commissions

10. 4.0

Good environment

May 19, 2022 - Sales Consultant in Canoga Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management team that helps you succeed.

Cons

Low commission pay, although you can move up to different clubs that pay you higher commission.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,200 Reviews

CarMax Reviews FAQs

CarMax has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 5,290 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at CarMax to a friend and 64% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, CarMax employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at CarMax. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

69% of CarMax employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CarMax 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at CarMax to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with CarMax Job Seekers