CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   2 Answers

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Lengthy, multiple on site visits, pre interview personality assessment, several panels, then one on one with director of HR, pre employment drug screen, lunch and interview with business partners who are totally evaluating your behavior during this casual setting. Keep you guard up and don't allow yourself to get comfortable as they are looking to disqualify you!

Interview Questions

• Share a time you felt you have gone above and beyond for a co worker or customer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Its a very lengthy process. First you have a for interview. Then you go in for a in person interview. You start off by taking a personality quiz on the computer. Which ask questions like "are you a rapist, have you drove drunk in the this year". After that you have a one on one interview with a manager. Then a second interview with two managers. It take about 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you have multi task   Answer Question
    • describe a time you took leader ship at a past job and how did your coworkers respond to you being the leader   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations set hourly pay

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charlotte, NC) in June 2012.

Interview

One interview, asked a bunch of standard questions. This is clearly a retail company similar to Walmart, Traget etc. Answer questions like you are a king of customer service and you will be golden

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with an angry customer, tell me about a time that you went above and beyond for a customer   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offered an hourly rate. Not much room for negotiation but was told that there would be annual increases and opportunity for advancement

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Called to setup and interview and once I went there for my interview I had to initially go on a computer and answer some preliminary questions and watch a video. Afterward spoke with three different managers who asked me questions about my experience and why I wanted to work for them. My final interview was with two managers where I had to demonstrate selling a vehicle.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a scenario where you had difficulty with a customer selling a car and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question
    • Asked me how I felt about a flat commission regardless what type of vehicle was sold.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The initial screening interview was quite easy, with only a few personality-based questions and a tree transversal problem that I solved in Java. The interviewers were thrilled with my responses, and told me they would most likely contact me for another interview.

Several days later, I received a 300-question personality test to complete online. I believe I was rejected on the basis of my personality test, which suggests they place more credence on the formalized corporate hiring process.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite programming language, and what would you change about it.   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax in April 2015.

Interview

After initial phone screen, a business case interview was conducted over the phone. Should take about 30~45mins. Interviewer was very nice and willing to help whenever I got stuck.

Interview Questions

• It was about evaluating two sites for building new production facilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my college, and then they contacted me to do an online assessment that was behavioral and math. I was then contacted for a phone interview that was a case study. I was then invited to their home office in order to partake in a super day with three interviews. These were almost all math problems, some more difficult than others.

Interview Questions

• Various different math problems. There was little behavioral, they mostly care if you can do math on the level necessary for the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume and about 2 weeks later got a call to schedule an interview. Interview had a brief get to know you period then a really simple case study (there was a correct answer... you will have to do math) and more information about the position. Should hear back in the next few days and if accepted the next step will be a tour of the site culminating with an offer.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied on campus recruiting site and was contacted within a few days to take an online math assessment. After that scheduled an interview on campus for the next week. Overall the initial interview was pretty easy and casual. Half behavioral questions and then one case study. Was invited to come up to corporate for a super interview day and that will happen in the next week or so but as of now all I know of that is that it is a few case studies and behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for CarMax?
      Why the strategy analyst role?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I had to take an online assessment which wasn't bad. Then had a first round phone interview. It was about 45 minutes. Started with behavioral questions and ended with a business case. I felt rushed throughout the business case and the interviewer didn't help out with it.

Interview Questions

• How would you balance the amount of customer traffic you receive if you were a manager at a CarMax location?   Answer Question