CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   Answer Question

Vehicle Service Agent Interview

Interview

very simple interview process. interviewer took time to get to know me first and then continued with the phone interview. over the phone interview at first then in person interview process

FT Early Collections Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I had applied for the job on a Saturday. Received an email the following Thursday for an in person interview. When you get there, BEFORE you get interviewed, you have to fill out paperwork and do online questionnaires/assessments and whatnot. This in itself was a bit off to me and was unnecessarily time consuming. Anyhow, they interview me. It went GREAT! I even had collections experience. The head guy I forget his name said that he was ready to push me forward for the next step in the hiring process. He said that I would hear something that day and if not the next. However, me being an honest person and all I told him afterwards about some charges that I HAD NOT EVEN BEEN CONVICTED OF on my record. He even asked me to explain what happened , so I did and he wrote it all down. I really regret doing that because I allowed for him to pass his own judgment on the situation. I asked him if it would affect his decision. He said no and that because I was honest about it they'd consider. Yeah right. Long story short, I did not hear anything later that day or the next or any other time. They didn't even email me to say that they don't want to move forward with me. The guy knew after I told him about the charges that he no longer wanted to hire me (my opinion). I didn't even bother calling them back because if the head of the center doesn't have the guts to say that he doesn't want to hire me because of something that I WAS NEVER CONVICTED of, I wouldn't want to work for them.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I applied online, then later had an interview over the phone with the manager of my department. At the end of that phone call, he invited me to an in person interview at their store, which I was expecting to be brief. However it was not, my interview was 2 hours, and I spoke to 5 different people, 4 of which interviewed me separately. First there was an online questionnaire. This lengthy process did get me comfortable with my surroundings. Then, after my last interview with the department manager, they made me an offer, and drug tested me through cotton swab.

Interview Questions

• When is the last time you did something daring?   1 Answer

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

phone interview that took about fifteen minutes. Asked very general questions about yourself and why you applied for carmax. At the end of the interview they asked If I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your strengths?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CarMax (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

I went in for a part time sales consultant part time position. I was interviewed by a Buyer whohad been with company for 11 years. I have been selling cars for 5 years, got out of the industry and with a job I love, but was planning on doing some traveling so I applied at carmax because there's no such thing as a part time car salesman in a real dealership setting. After sitting down the Blake, I figured out real quick that most of the people at carmax have absolutely no clue how to actually sell cars. This guy couldn't even keep up with me when using car sales jargon, It was pretty sad. I was more qualified for his job then he was, yet the hours were far worse then a regular dealership, and as a salesman the profit margins aren't as great so you have to sell a lot of cars to make money. Carmax, can keep there job, I remain in my career field and enjoy my weekends off, and evening, I can't call somebody my boss, who clearly isn't capable of knowing all facets of the car sales process. Carmax is a joke.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous jobs   2 Answers

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a call a week later. That call was one of the managers scheduling a phone interview for two days later. I had a phone interview which lasted about 35 minutes. The phone interview consisted of her asking about past employment and asking a few behavioral questions then told me about the position. I was then asked to come in for a face to face interview that Friday. The face to face interview was split into sections. First I met with the manager who had me do an online behavioral interview. Then two other managers came out to do the face to face interview which only consisted of situational questions asked by them both. After that another manager came and asked another set of situational questions then she offered me the job on the spot. I then did a oral drug test and signed paperwork and was told my start and orientation day. I was offered 12.60 an hour and the entire interview process was about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Talked about previous job experience and a lot of how have you dealt in the past? type questions interview was from 2-4 pm. I got the job the same day after a phone interview the previous day.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with a hard decision at work the past year?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Savannah, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

asked about past job experiences and likeliness to want to work in commissions based environment. Questioned me on why I decided to switch from fast food to sales although both were customer service based. Also asked about my position and tasks for my previous employers.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you accepting a position that has its pay based solely on commission?   1 Answer

Manager Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of an 8 hour day of panel interviews, roll play, and computer testing.

You start your day at 8:30 in the morning, updating your basic profile information for HR. You then move into a math/reasoning test on another computer. When that is complete the first panel interview begins with two directors, then another panel interview with Senior Managers. If that all goes well and they seem to like you, they then have your future counterparts take you to lunch. After returning from lunch you will sit down for a role play with two more senior managers and then complete your wonderful day with a mouth swab drug test.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a choice of two different paths and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interviewed with three separate managers none of which was the supervisor for intended department. Every question they asked was situational, generic and some were irrelevant to position applied too. I was pressured multiple times by multiple managers to consider a sales position.