CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1,419 of over 1,419.0 interviews

Campus Recruiting8%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

CarMax

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

First a video then virtual interview. Everything was fairly easy just be ready for STAR format. After that a drug test and start also pretty quick. This is a high stress position so turnover is high. They really need people.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you a good for for this position!
    Answer Question

CarMax

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Disrespectful of candidate's time. Long and drawn out, weeks between contacts from the recruiter. Requested a case study based on a two sentence prompt. Ridiculous process. Seven interviews and hours wasted to be sent a form rejection email. Save your time and your intellectual property.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about CarMax

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Well first off you have to take one of those slide scale tests u know agree or disagree.. strongly or whatever . That is not an easy task or at least for me it wasn't ..then I got a text message saying after the scores I'll be contacted it took forever for that to happen then I had a phone interview which I choked but even if... I still never got the call to say we went with someone else it's an outside company that does the hiring and the processes.. it's no longer a meet and greet , hey I'm a real person nice to see a real person ...it's all on the Internet so it's basically who has the fantcy wording that's who gets the job.. I am not a fan

Interview Questions
  • A bunch of tricky worded questions that lead to multiple answers ..

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

There are three rounds of interview. The first one was on the phone with the Assistance Manager and the second one on site with ASM. Then, the last with the Business Office Manager.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer?

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Although I didn't get hired for the position I applied for, the video interview was one of the most laid back I've had in a long time. I felt comfortable with the interviewer and was honestly surprised I wasn't offered the job! :)

Interview Questions
  • They asked about my background and what the position entailed.

CarMax

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

The application process is cumbersome and antiquated. After the initial application, I get an email that says my application isnt complete. I go to the , not so easy to find, link. Its one of those behavioral/situational questionaries. I thought, ok, these are really pretty useless and a horrible indicator of actual performance or personality, but Im here, so why not. I start to answer some of these and notice the process indicator at the top matching the number of items ive gone through, basically showing there would 100 of these. Really, 100?? Who has time for that? They probably think this is a way to understand and per-qualify people, but it actually does the opposite. Any experienced or qualified person would be insulted by this lack of personal consideration and also understand how useless these things are...leaving the desperate and less experienced to actually do this. That tells me all I need to know. And BTW, Ive purchased a car from CarMax and enjoyed that experience.

Interview Questions
  • If you were in this or that situation which of these four options would best describe how you dealt with it.

CarMax

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

phone call interview, don't get it. have to listen and answer questions via phone which is not the best way to interview. Case study style interview. Business case and doing basic math

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

CarMax

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at CarMax in Jun 2022

Interview

A little slow so far - pretty open about process and potential opportunities. Now need to wait for a in-store interview and "roll-playing". Initial job description does not let you know that it's a training job and a future transfer is in the future - could be anywhere.

Interview Questions
  • Details about interaction with others employees that helped them move forward.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I interviewed at CarMax (Portland, OR)

Interview

It was Quick and easy. 2 interviews and a oral swab drug test. it Took about 20 minutes total. Wore business casual clothing. Nice and welcoming staff. Good pay too

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, WV)

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Asked questions on a case study about which lands out of two to purchase so that they can open a store there. A bridge is going to be built on either of the land and the prices might increase.
1 person found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,419 Interviews

CarMax Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at CarMax as 59.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.91 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Business Office Associate and Sales Consultant rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Inventory Associate and Sales Associate roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at CarMax takes an average of 12 days when considering 1,543 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Business Office Associate had the quickest hiring process (on average 7 days), whereas Sales Associate roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 12 days).

Common stages of the interview process at CarMax according to 1,543 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 18.26%