CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jan 17, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Started off by an initial phone interview with basic questions about your experience and why you want to work for carmax. Then proceeded to a second phone interview where they provided scenarios and how would you handle the situation. A final in person interview with Store Manager and role play- one of the managers as your client.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Riverside, CA).

Interview

Many situational questions. 2 interview rounds, first with a manager outside of the dept you're applying for, then the second round is with 2 managers from the dept. They look for answers that explain the situation they asked about, your behaviors in the situation, and the final result of the situation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I was contacted by CarMax twice during a 5 month period, finally decided to go ahead and interview with them the second time around, as it appeared they were interested in hiring me. Phone interview at first, then in-person interview. Study the interview questions on here and you will be fine. No big surprises. Then came time for the "Car Sale" presentation. I thought I did "OK" (I wasn't expecting to do great) however they wanted me to comeback and do it again in a few days. I came back and did the Sales pitch again (this time I did much better, by all accounts) and they still didn't offer me a Job. Found that strange, perhaps I'm too old? Not sure, but a little perturbed by it, not that I really wanted to work their to begin with since it's 100% commission.

Also, they have no Finance department at the dealership, you are responsible for the entire car Sale from start to finish. You are the Salesman and the F & I guy. That said, you should be making a whole lot more then the supposed $35,000 their Sales Associates average.

Last but not least they do conduct a MASSIVE background check. They have you sign a waiver that lets them get ALL of your employment history from the Social Security Administration. They then have you sign another waiver that states you didn't lie about / omit any previous employers on your application (which I did). I signed it anyway - im not putting down a few of my old employers for any number of reasons.

What ever the case they can apparently find all of your old employers via the Social Security Administration, so just be aware of that.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to sell a product to someone who had no idea what the product was   Answer Question

Interview

Three interviews, one phone, and two in person with different managers, one a general manager and the other your specific manager. Wear professional attire and be your truest self, you will most likely get the position.

Interview Questions

• When you had several things to get done, how would you deal with prioritizing?   Answer Question

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in December 2017.

Interview

I had seen the job opening on Indeed.com and went on the CarMax website to apply. Within a few days, I received the phone call about wanting to set up a phone interview. Had that the following day, but they were about an hour late with calling. Asked questions like "What made you choose CarMax, what is your salary expectations and a few other "Name a time when you had to..." but I can't remember exactly what they were now. They said they would be in contact within about a week or close to two weeks. I get another phone call about a half hour to an hour later offering an in-person interview. This happened on Friday. It's now Monday and I just had the in-person interview at 10:30am this morning. First part was an online background check/questionnaire I had to fill out on their computer. After that, the Business Manager and the Operations Manager came in to hold the actual interview. They asked about 6 questions total containing questions like “Name a time when you…”. After that, they left the room to discuss amongst one-another about my answers and they came back in to offer me the position within a few minutes! After accepting the offer, I had to sign a few papers all while doing the drug screening (the little cotton swab type that you put under your tongue.) All of this today took about an hour and a half. I walked out at 11:55am. Overall, the process was pretty painless.

• Stay calm
    • Practice your answers before your interview so you don’t get overwhelmed and forget something.
    • They look for specific situations and how you handle them so try and think of SPECIFICS – this helps a lot.
    • Be honest

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you took the initiative to learn something outside of your job duties   Answer Question
    • If you had multiple tasks with deadlines, how would you manage them?   1 Answer

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Las Vegas, NV) in December 2017.

Interview

Fiest a phone interview. Easy. Normal hiring Qs. A LOT of scenario questions in face to face interview. 3 separate interviews in about 2 hours. Asked me to come back the flowing week after extensive background check was looked into (and driving record of course). Oral swab test at final interview.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Ontario, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Did an online questionnaire first. Received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was simple questions about previous employment and experiences. Proceed to in person interview. Another questionnaire when you get there. Interviewed with 2 sales managers. Was told I didn’t have to do the role play scenario because I have enough experience experience and he didn’t think it was necessary. Yet no offer. Managers were all young kids so I think they’re looking for ‘at work’ playmates and not real experienced salesmen to sell cars and make them some money.

Interview Questions

• Why carmax?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where a customer was unsatisfied. What was the scenario? How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very easy seamless. not hard at all for a sales position. whole interview takes a few hours. They make you do a sales exercise thats pretty easy as well. as long as you have good people skills and know something about sales you should be good.

Interview Questions

• they ask a lot of questions regarding integrity, teamwork, and your work ethic   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in November 2017.

Interview

Started with phone interview. Next was called in for in store interview. You answer some questions on a computer then sit down with a sales manager. Then you will either get a phone call or email the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• Why carmax?
      Name a time you had to complete two tasks simultaneously?
      Tell me a time when you went out of your way for a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Denver, CO) in November 2017.

Interview

The process was long and very in depth for what I'm used to. To me, that shows the commitment and investment the company is willing to make to hire the right people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a customer was upset, how did you handle it and what was the final outcome.   Answer Question