CastleBranch Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brett Martin

Pros
  • Also, there's a game room with ping pong, skeeball, etc (in 17 reviews)

• Gym, break room, food truck are all beneficial (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They only hire you to slave you through peak season then let you go (in 6 reviews)

• As I read some of the other negative reviews on here I can totally understand the "high school" culture that is referenced (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Collaborative Work Space"

Pros

Great work culture- such a collaborative place. Gym, break room, food truck are all beneficial. CastleBranch has helped me build my career and have provided me with many opportunities to grow and learn.

Cons

Benefits are expensive for spouse and families. Communication is lacking but is getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep improving! CastleBranch has some great products coming together and I can't wait to be apart of it!

Nov 14, 2016 – Director of HR

Thanks for your feedback. I agree we still have room for improvement with communication. We are working diligently daily to improve our communication to all staff members. Please share your career ... More

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great if it's just for yourself (medical,dental,vision, 401k)Sick time,PTO and paid holidays. Food trucks, gym, volunteer opportunites to help the community. I love how we are in "the loop" about where the company is going in the future, a lot of places do not do this and it makes you feel appreciated. My stress level has greatly reduced since I have started here! Even though I have money in the con section, overtime is offered during peak season and they really care that you make your 40 hours at least. I've never worked for a company that wanted you to hit that 40 hour mark (usually you got sent home before you came close).

Cons

Of course pay, but you are going to have that at any job. Money makes the world go around and we will never have enough money in life. It gets rough when you're not in peak season and start getting asked to leave early or stay at home the next day.

Advice to Management

I think you are doing great ! There will always be some negative people and things that can be improved, but it's all in how you approach your work.

"Hmmm"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Fast Pace Good People Games Food Music Festivities

Cons

Follow Through Communication Compensation Management Career Opportunities

Advice to Management

Follow you're own instructions that are provided

"Record Review Specialist"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Overworked with little pay and benefits

Dec 8, 2016 – Director of HR

I am very sorry you feel this way especially at this time of year. We are no longer in the midst of our peak season and in most areas of the business we are able to take a breath. This year we have ... More

"Getting Better Everyday"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Culture is the big thing here. Co-workers are, for the most part, amazing. You get out of it what you put into it. If you are friendly and actually get to know the folks that work here, you will be pleasantly surprised.

There's a gym on site and employees can utilize it at no cost. Also, there's a game room with ping pong, skeeball, etc. Very hip if you are into that kind of thing. Food trucks also show up on a regular basis. There was one based here, Vittles, but they vanished.

Most of management is flexible with your work hours or situations going on in your life. They are typically willing to work with you should the need arise. Work/Life balance is an important thing here.

The company's future roadmap has basically just been shown to the staff. For a long time, the base staff had no clue where we were headed; heck, some of the management team didn't know where we were headed. There have been some very positive changes in leadership lately and I think the high level execs are coming to their senses. More info and more plans are being shared with the troops. In the past it was all very secretive, but now they are opening up. Not sure what prompted it, but it is welcome change.

CB supports the community thought various volunteer and charity organizations. We work with the Brigade Boys and Girls Club, WARM, SHARE, and so on. Just recently, there was a huge outpouring of food and clothing to flood victims in here in Eastern NC. Every year, we do a 'stuff the backpack' campaign to provide needy kids with school supplies. I love the help and support we provide as a company to our community.

Paid maternity/paternity leave. That's right...paid...for mothers AND fathers. Crazy right? It's so European and progressive. So unlike North Carolina. Major bright spot here.

On a political note, CB took a public stance against HB2. If you are not familiar, HB2 is a NC state law that is basically government sanctioned bigotry. NC is so homophobic it's scary. So homophobic they passed a law marginalizing the LGBT community. CB did the right thing and stood up against it.

Very friendly workplace for any culture. There are all types of folks here; LGBT, all kinds of religions and views, you name it. Racially, everyone is cool, too. In all my years here, I have only heard of one incident involving race and it was handled very well. Not really going to see any sexism as well. Very open and friendly for all race, genders, viewpoints, etc.

Overall, the company is headed in a good direction.

Cons

Communication is still an issue here. I mentioned above that it is getting better. It has a long way to go. I am a huge advocate for transparency, especially in business. Free flow of information is key in our business. We struggle with that.

The CEO, Brett Martin, is a bit of bag of hot air. Just earlier this year, he gave a speech at an event where he stressed that higher paying jobs are needed in the area. Yet, his company starts folks out at $10 while they serve beer to everyone for free on the top floor (called Tek Mountain). I know for a fact that there are many employees working here who get aide from the state. Don't get me wrong. I respect the fact that he started this company (which he did not do alone, he had a lot of help.) However, he is completely out of touch with what is really going on. But, hey, he's rich so that's all that matters.

Speaking of Tek Mountain: It's a great idea, but I think overall it diverts attention away from CastleBranch's core business. If you are not familiar, Tek Mountain is an incubator accelerator for start-ups. It's the trendiest, hippest thing since peanut butter. I don't have many positive things to say about it, because no one knows what is being produced there. Kind of goes back to the communication thing. Those of us that work in CB proper only know what we hear from others third hand. Tek Mountain occupies the third floor of the main building. It has come to symbolize elitism and socio-economic disparity within our organization. I'm not sure that the company's top leadership realize just how much the base staff resents it and how much they look down on the top floor. Just because you read about something in a trendy tech mag doesn't mean that you can yourself pull off such a venture.

The pay. Just going to be real with you. It's not the greatest and they refuse to budge. I already mentioned the embarrassing speech given by the CEO regarding pay. Not much more to say about it. It needs to change. Period.

Advice to Management

Changes in leadership have been welcome. Some hard decisions were made this year and you stuck by them. Most of it has paid off. Keep going. I have worked here for some time now and I see a light that wasn't always there. Keep sharing your vision with the staff. We all matter and we all want to contribute. You are wrong if you think we don't care; we do. We want to see you win.

Tek Mountain has got to be de-mystified. I get it, it might be a different separate company all together but it's part of the CB campus (like it or not) and it will always be as long as it shares property. What's more important? The new trendy start-up stealer or the core business that got you where you are today? Make the call. That's all I'm saying.

Nov 2, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for submitting a review. Your comments are encouraging and show where we have room for continued growth. We are working incredibly hard on transparency - thank you for recognizing the ... More

"Awesome, except for one issue."

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

There are many pros to working at CastleBranch.
    -The benefits are fantastic! Vacation time, sick time, 401K, etc.
    -Supportive co-workers. Everyone is very nice and supportive. I have worked here for a while and I do feel like I am supported by my co-workers/bosses. If I have an issue, it's addressed immediately and fairly.
    -Morale. Management works very hard to make employees feel appreciated. Even when things don't work out as well as planned (Peak Incentive Program), I do appreciate that they are trying to do something for us.
    -Flexible Scheduling - Most production jobs have flexible scheduling.
    -Gym. Nice...but.....more to come on the cons list.
    -Not micro-managed. Yes, most of the positions are production-based, and yes there are performance requirements you have to meet. However, those requirements are very attainable so if you do your job consistently, you are not micro-managed. If you do not meet your performance goals, guess what, you will be managed and helped along in order for you to meet the goals.

Cons

Some cons:

Gym - this is great in theory, however, there are no treadmills, and the gym may not be used while classes are going on. The biggest issue with the gym is the placement. Everyone coming into one of the buildings will see everyone working out. This is a deterrent for anyone who does not want to be watched while they exercise. It's not like people are actually watching you exercise, it's just the perception, but it's enough to keep most people from using the gym. If there were a place with cardio equipment that is away from people and that can be used at any time, that would make a world of difference in the amount of people that actually use the gym.

Almost everything about CB is awesome, except for the pay. As an entry level job, it's not so bad, but it seems that it takes a while to build up to any sort of really livable wage. Bottom line, the pay needs to be better for Operations. I don't know anything about other areas, though.

I've heard from multiple supervisors that they don't make much more than hourly employees who have been here a few years, yet they don't get really any added benefits. Supervisors are salary employees, so no OT pay. In peak season when we are approved for overtime, we can make more money than a supervisor.

I've also heard a supervisor say that there are certain team members who have been here considerably less time that make MORE than the supervisor.

That is very disheartening. I would want to move up in this company, but i'm not sure if I will stick around to try for a leadership position if supervisors have nearly no added benefits than hourly employees.

Advice to Management

If you want people to work here only until something better comes along, keep doing what you're doing. It's a great first job for most people. Of course the benefits, flexible hours, and atmosphere will be enough to keep some people happy for a while.

If you want to keep quality employees and have them strive to move up in the company, you've got to increase the wages of the staff and leadership.

Nov 1, 2016 – Director of HR

Very much appreciate the time and thought that you put into this review. You had some great feedback on the gym. We do have the curtain that we can make sure is drawn during class time to limit ... More

8. "Progressive Company"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for, workplace benefits are good, gym is free to employees with a variety of classes including yoga, TRX, barre. Recreation center includes ping pong, air hockey, foosball, and bean bag chairs. There is a variety of benefits to choose from after 90 days, including Health, Dental, 401K, STD, LTD, Life insurance. Culture is good, company and the employees give back to the community through many efforts, summers include surf and paddleboard outings. Many other benefits, including brewery, TED Talk Tuesdays.

Cons

Benefits are good but not great, could be better, 401K matching would be nice. Health insurance is expensive if you have to carry your spouse, children, or whole family.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing, have an open door policy to all employees.

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of HR

We appreciate your comments. Glad you are enjoying the full benefit package that we offer. We do look at the match portion of 401(k) each and every year and evaluate if we will increase what we ... More

9. "A fun place to work"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits from health insurance and 401k to sponsored food days and paid sick time. Supportive coworkers, rotating food trucks, lots of volunteer opportunities and a modern work environment. Overall, a fun place to grow your career and you definitely get out of it, what you put into it.

Cons

As with any company experiencing growth like CB is, there are growing pains. Communication between teams especially in different buildings can be tough. There are long days during peak season.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line employees who have suggestions for improvement and follow through with commitments! Keep the momentum.

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thanks for your feedback. Glad you are still enjoying our world after five years. We are excited about the growth even through the growing pains. With our new COO in place he will quickly tackle ... More

10. "Great Benefits"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CastleBranch has some of the best benefits in town, or anywhere. Paid maternity and paternity leave, vacation days, sick days, professional development opportunities, and many others. There is also no break policy, meaning as long as you meet your goals and don't abuse it you're not limited to a set amount of break time. There is a on-site gym, on-site nutritionist, a garden, game room, brewery, and food is provided...often. There are bikes you can check out and ride! There are interesting "Tuesday Talks" where lunch is provided and you don't have to clock out. Past speakers for these talks have been our county District Attorney, a Canadian explorer who talked about climbing Everest, and other business executives with years of experience to learn from.
    There is also a lot of room for job advancement here.

Cons

All office jobs are repetitive and this office job is no different. However CastleBranch has started all the things I listed in the Pros section not just to fight the office-job-monotony but to make it a pretty good place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep Improving.

Nov 1, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for your posting. Glad that you recognize the good company that we are and the good that we are trying to do for staff and the community as a whole. If you have ideas on ways we can ... More

"Moving forward"

Pros

Lots of cool things to do on site. Ping pong, skeeball, gym, basketball, onsite massages and nutritionist, now a Dr available for onsite visits.

Cons

Some of the technology still not where it needs to be

Advice to Management

There have been changes recently with leadership that has remedied a lot of problems. Feel that we can finally breathe in the operations department.

Oct 6, 2016 – Director of HR

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review. Engineering is working on improvements to current systems.