CastleBranch Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CastleBranch Founder and CEO Brett Martin
Brett Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm trying to think of something, ummm maybe the dress code policy (in 18 reviews)

• Gym, break room, food truck are all beneficial (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • You've heard it before, but this place is run like a high school (in 8 reviews)

• Too rigid of a work week schedule when it comes to PEAK season and not enough hours of work in the off season leading to overworked employees (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company!"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

I love working at CastleBranch for a few reasons, my coworkers are all so helpful, and friendly, and the management is incredibly flexible and supportive. They work tirelessly to ensure that each employee is able to maintain work-life balance, and set an example of that themselves.

Cons

My only negative thought about the company is the lack of a formal review. While these reviews/evaluations make all of us very nervous, they also make us better at our jobs.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to give better feedback, more regularly. Other than that, I love this company.

Oct 4, 2017 – Director of HR

Hi there, Thanks for the feedback. We are building a more formal review process in Ultimate and will has this deployed shortly. Once deployed we will be on a formal quarterly schedule moving... More

2. "SDR"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Its a great job, recommended.

Cons

Stressful for those who don't take no easily

"Record Review Specialist"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Insurance after 90 days, even if you're temporary. Your own desk area, although small. Drink cart on Wednesdays. Bagels/pastries on Mondays. Team building activities when computers go down. Monthly meetings. Monthly "bring your own condiment" food parties.

Cons

Where to begin? For one, the training is two weeks. The trainer I had was good, that isn't the problem. The problem was that they needed the training room before we were done with our two weeks, so we were moved to cubicles, and the trainer's desk was way on the other side of the operations floor. Making asking questions difficult. No one takes the time to get to know the temporary employees. Granted, I understand why, but it would still be nice to have everyone be nice to you instead of kind of snotty. Some of the supervisors are in their own world. Yes, you can ask questions and she'll get back to you, but the other supervisor at the time was always sending out emails about encouraging everyone and everything. Another huge con: when they let you go, they tell you that you're eligible to be rehired. Yeah right. If your numbers aren't up to par, and your let go, you CAN'T be hired back. Believe me, I tried. I liked the company a lot. I was recommended by a former coworker to apply, and in turn, I recommended 3 of their current employees go work there, and *I* was the only one who didn't become permanent. I applied to every opening they had after I was let go, and never heard anything back. Finally I went to a job fair and saw the woman who gave me my exit interview. She said, "You know you can't be hired back, right? Not in operations at least." Thing is, Operations is 85% of the company. The rest is IT or something else. I had some medical problems at the time of my employment there, to which I told this to the head of operations, but was told to just send in my resume to the SAME woman who told me I couldn't be rehired.

It's a shame that this company does have good bones and have this kind of business and the ability to hire tons of people, but to have policies that make it impossible to hire former employees who weren't bad to begin with.

Advice to Management

Change your policies to where former employees can come back, especially since you've changed the parameters of how to do the job anyway.

Make sure everyone gets the mandatory two weeks training, uninterrupted.

Don't hire tons of people during peak just to let 90% of them go during the off season.

Jan 18, 2018 – Director of HR

Hi there thanks for your feedback. Would very much appreciate it if you reached out to me so I can chat with you about the role you were in and the possibility to rehire. We do not have a policy... More

"Amazing coworkers, nice perks, great hr team. Poor supervisors/ middle management"

Former Employee - Operations in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Operations in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-HR is amazing!
    -Frequent food days.
    -Relaxed dress code.
    -Suggestion box for employee feedback.
    -Paid volunteer opportunities
    -Benefits
     -Awesome employee program
    -Food on site so you do not have to leave for lunch
    -Bike/Surf board rentals
    -Gym/gym classes available for employees
    -Opportunity for paid lunches once a week with food provided
    -Discounts places in the surrounding area for being an employee
    -Overtime available during peak season

Cons

-Communication between departments/teams is left up to employees. Supervisors have poor communication skills.
    -Supervisors show favoritism toward certain employees
    -Compensation is poor
    -Lack of performance reviews in most all operations positions

Advice to Management

Work on hiring from within if possible. Take employee input seriously. When hiring outside of the company try to find people who are not just qualified on paper. Communication and professionalism should be a priority when it comes to upper management.

Jan 10, 2018 – Director of HR

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. We value your thoughts and opinion. As you know we have been evolving as an organization rapidly over the past few years. Lots of room for... More

5. "I enjoyed my time at CastleBranch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and upper management. The facilities are also very nice and offer a lot of areas to relax and take a break from work.

Cons

Quiet environment could be a con for some people.

Dec 21, 2017 – Director of HR

Thanks for taking the time to write this review we appreciate your comments

""Metropolis" meets Background Screening"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New-ish buildings (TekMountain's concept and layout is nice), decent health/dental benefits

Cons

The pay - the biggest contributing factor (aside from poor management and monotonous work). It's poverty level - even when you've poured 5+ years into the business without a decent raise. Also, CastleBranch tends to hire the bottom of the barrel of people. When you want to be professional & work with like-minded individuals, they'll hire people with little to no work ethic to fill a seat and boss around.

You've heard it before, but this place is run like a high school. Run it like a team - and run it with a sense un-biased professionalism.

Advice to Management

Out with the old, in with the new. Let more qualified individuals lead the teams instead of keeping the same 4 under qualified women dictate the operations department. Fight to compensate those who deserve it rather than food days & office "perks".

Jan 18, 2018 – Director of HR

We appreciate your comments and we have taken great strides regarding comp in the past 12-18 months and recognize that there is still room for improvement. We do try to create balance for all with... More

7. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Lots of opportunity, fast-paced, lots of cool stuff to do other than work !

Cons

If you don't want to work hard and be a team player this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't feel you have to coddle the babies so much.

Dec 9, 2017 – Director of HR

Hello and thank you so much for your review. We very much appreciate the time you took to post here.

"All Perks No Pay"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. The atmosphere and culture are great. The campus is great. Wonderful focus on health and fitness. Really good benefits.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. Evaluations and therefore raises are infrequent. Lots of turnover. There is often a lack of clear direction or frequent changes in direction that make focus and commitment difficult.

Dec 9, 2017 – Director of HR

Pay has been a primary focus for us in 2017 and will continue to be in 2018. We have switched to a model of pay for performance which has been incredibly helpful. As an innovative company frequent... More

9. "Incredibly supportive management and positive work environment"

Current Employee - Trainer in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Trainer in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The professional development support, training and education is amazing, casual dress code, excellent leadership, amazing facility with a recreation area, garden, on site gym, food trucks. Extremely friendly atmosphere overall

Cons

Job titles and department names change frequently and limited professional development for career progression salary wise. Not too many cons!

Advice to Management

Become more consistent with attitude in regards to coaching. I’ve had an excellent experience with my most recent supervisor but prior to this one I was under another supervisor who was rude and verbally abusive. Also stop changing the names of the departments so frequently- it confuses the staff and the clients

Oct 16, 2017 – Director of HR

Hello and thank you for your review. We should now be stable with all job titles and department names. Our new leadership is committed to consistency, communication, collaboration and clarity.

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

- Casual/appropriate dress code was a massive plus
    - Terrific vibe and friendly atmosphere made it a very progressive and fun environment to work in.
    - Starting pay was very nice, especially if you are used to minimum wage.
    - Great insurance program which helped me out big time financially with medical matters.
    - Bevy of activities to look forward to (TEDTalks, personal gym, meditation classes)
    - HR was extremely helpful with personal issues that affected me as an employee.
    - Outreach with the city and local events was very impressive.
    - CEO seemed like a decent guy; very personal and made good conversation with me on several occasions.

Cons

- Work did become monotonous, but wasn't a deal-breaker for me personally.
    - Problems in other departments spilled over to other areas, creating palpable tension throughout company.
    - Micromanagement was a major issue for me. I can vividly remember spending just as much time writing reports about my work as I was doing my actual work for both of my advisors during my time there.
    - While there was a "lax" environment promoted, my advisors took issue to minor, random things that I was doing while I did my job (even when other employees were doing the exact same thing). Also, it always seemed to be an huge ordeal whenever I needed to take time off for outside issues. Despite addressing how unpredictable my life was and promising to make time up when necessary, they made me feel bad/guilty over not being consistent with my schedule, even though it never interfered with how much work I did.
    - I was ultimately dismissed over trivial issues with my supervisor. I remember confiding in my co-workers that I wanted to transfer to a different department, only to be let go entirely soon after. It gave a new meaning to "pull the rug out from under you" and left me with a very bitter end to an otherwise pleasant experience at a company where I made wonderful relationships at.

Advice to Management

Every business has it's issues, but just take care when handling them. The company has built a great foundation, and just needs to fix the cracks. Overall, this is a great place to be if you don't have a super fancy education and/or want to live by the beach.