Cato Reviews | Glassdoor

Cato Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Derham Cato
John P. Derham Cato

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay for the amount they expect you to do (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management puts exceptions at an unreasonable time frame (in 37 reviews)

1. "Great Work Environment!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Russellville, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Russellville, AL

I worked at Cato part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers and the work was fun. My boss was wonderful and supportive. She worked really well with my hectic schedule It was a great place to work!

Cons

The pay is very low and the work is very fast paced. The store I worked in was incredibly organised but I know some store were not and I am sure it was dreadful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It was a wonderful place to work and I enjoyed it. Thank you very much!

2. "Not for me"

I worked at Cato part-time

Pros

Nice staff
    Overall nice work environment.

Cons

It was a huge struggle to get hours to work. I only got maybe 5 hours per week most weeks.

3. "Not the worst, not the best"

I have been working at Cato full-time

Pros

Not very stressful or demanding job.
    Working on visual can be fun

Cons

The pay is not enough. I don't get the schedule hours required to run store and get task done without me coming in durning my off day

4. "Assistant Product Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team. Fun workplace.

Cons

Low pay. Everyone gets the same % of pay increase regardless of how efficient you are.

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Flowood, MS

I worked at Cato part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a few pros while working at Cato. 1) The discounts were pretty decent 2) Clientele was decent, considering we had some of the same customers every week

Cons

1) Was not worth the pay 2)management was AWFUL!! I am a full time college student and I worked 20 minutes from the school. She would put me on schedule the same time as my class and told the district manager I was always late. (I was told I was put on schedule at those times so it would look like someone would be there, also so she could leave at a certain time). 3) very small staff because people were always leaving due to management

Advice to Management

Obviously the manager position was given to anyone who wanted it. My advice is to not only hire someone who is experienced, but also someone who takes the job serious and knows how to be a role model for the sales associates, not the other way around.

6. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Cato full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My boss is amazing! She is supportive and doesn't micro-manage me.

Cons

Pay Scale. I can not pay my employees what they are worth, nor do I get paid very much.

Advice to Management

Increased pay would increase employee retention and building relationships with your customers is what sell product!!

7. "Over worked and under payed"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As store manager I was able to set a positive tone for my store and was able to control the environment of the store by creating a good team.

Cons

Upper management can make or break your tenure due to them pushing and pushing for unattainable and unrealistic goals all while working on a very minimal salary. High expectations for very little pay from the basic sales associate to lower management(Assistant/Store Manager) resulting in a high turnover of employees some of them being great assets to the company. Unprofessional DM.

Advice to Management

Please consider more positive reinforcement concerning hard working employees that barely make a living wage. The expectations of this company are ridiculous for such minimal pay. More professionalism regarding typical issues that come up from time to time instead of gossip.

"Great store, terrible company."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Longview, TX

I have been working at Cato part-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% discount, interacting with a variety of customers, coworkers, not too difficult. It's a good starter job, but I would in no way make this my career. The managers have tons more to do with barely any pay increase.

Cons

The company itself is really out of touch and doesn't seem to care about employees whatsoever.
    Old outdated stores, cheap/old equiptment used to clean the store, outdated cash registers, they don't seem to put much thought into the upkeep of the store.
    Higher ups micromanage absolutely everything, constantly being watched on camera
    must check purses/bags when employee leaves the building
    constant secret shoppers
    you have a large list of things you must do when EACH person comes in, greet within 15 seconds, offer dressing room if you see someone with an item in their hand, take the clothes from them when seeing them to a dressing room and silently seperate and count the items, then casually annouce how many items are being taken in, go check back with the person in the dressing room, make sure you mention the item of the week and the denim, offer a cato card and to sign up for email and also try to get them to order in store.
    the layout of the store is obnoxious, there's a big center wall directly in between of the cash registers and the doors, you can't see if someone is coming or going. the music is right by the registers and is loud and the door bell is in the front of the store and quiet, hard to know when someone has come in.
    low pay for the amount they expect you to do.
    They want you to constantly bother people multiple times if they need help even after they've said no and that really annoys people.

Advice to Management

Come work in your stores and get a feel of what employees need. Trust your employees more, all the anti theft posters, the constant secret shoppers, the ever present cameras, etc.
    Update the stores layout and overall appearance.
    Stop changing the zoning plans, it's counterproductive if nobody has any time to learn it before it's changed again.
    Trust that your employees know how to interact with each customer.
    You want to run your store like you are a department store but you pay your employees barely over minimum wage.
    In short, update your store and your view of workers, treat employees with respect, pay better/better discount, take opinions and recommendations of employees seriously.

9. "Long hard hours"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers and that's about it

Cons

High turnover no work life balance

Advice to Management

None

10. "Customers first. Employees last"

Pros

20% discount. Customers are good to work with and enjoyed working with co workers

Cons

Approach is backwards. Instead of offering incentives to employees to improve performance, you feel threatened because you are so often told that you will be written up. They spend money on secret shoppers when they should be investing into their employees. If they would pay their employees more and offer them incentives they would get better results.

Advice to Management

Stop the secret shops. Raise your base salary to associates. Offer Cato bucks or other contests to promote good sales practices instead of threatening negative consequences.