DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

Roger Rawlins

1,628 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The downfall of working with the company is the constant pressure of signing people up for the Rewards program (in 130 reviews)

• Upper management and store management seem cliquey with their almost all female staff (in 66 reviews)

1. "Great place to work at!"

I have been working at DSW part-time

Pros

They're scheduling is very flexible. You never feel pressured. You always get recognized for doing a great job!

Cons

You deal with rude customers.

2. "Great For Beginners!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first Job and I felt so welcomed at both stores I worked at! The environment is happy and positive! Great way to get introduced to retail customer service.

Cons

Fast paced work if you’re not up for the challenge! It can be stressful to complete your tasks, but they are very doable with practice and a positive attitude.

Advice to Management

Express a better understanding and eagerness for us to grow in the company and beyond.

3. "better than most retail"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

setting my hours and no hassle.
    shift trading with coworkers easy.
    no problem with management.
    friendly, easy day.

Cons

sometimes there is pressure with signing rewards members.
    cleaning shoes from time to time.

4. "Health care"

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

To be able to help

Cons

They hard to work with a time schedule

Advice to Management

Help work around time because i have a child i take care of

5. "Great"

Pros

Good discount , Coworkers are, Great management

Cons

The rewards program they have set in place

6. "Sales Associate"

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

- Good employee benefits
    -Detailed and helpful training for cash register and floor

Cons

- Pushed "reward sign-ups" too hard. It seemed like they cared more about loyalty enrollments than actual customer experience.

7. "Decent"

I worked at DSW full-time

Pros

Amazing discount! I liked working here overall

Cons

Management all over you, riding you to get rewards sign ups

"Good first job but I'm glad I don't work there anymore"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

- Great coworkers: My coworkers made coming to work fun and I even kept in touch with some after I quit the job. My managers were also nice people that I enjoyed working with and treated me with respect. Overall, the people at DSW made my experience a 4 star one. Had I not had such great coworkers, I would've rated lower.

- The shoes: Working here you get a first look at new merchandise. I liked the products they sold and it was fun to browse at work.

- Nice customers: Most customers were friendly and I enjoyed helping them find shoes. I had a few call the store to give me compliments, which made my day.

- Good discount: The 30% off was great. I made sure to stock up on shoes while I worked here.

- Flexible: Management respected my requests to have a few days off and didn't give me a hard time. You don't work many hours each week, so I had a lot of free time.

- Easy (but stressful) work: Nothing you have to do is at this job is difficult, it can just becomes stressful for the reasons listed below.

Cons

- The rewards program: I absolutely hated being pressured to harass customers about the rewards program. Even before I got on the register, managers made me go out onto the floor and ask customers if they were rewards members. If they weren't, I was told to sign them up on the floor, which was really awkward to do (and it never worked). After a while, I was pretty much stuck on the register all day and dreaded getting a customer that wasn't a rewards member. Managers review what percentage of transactions you have for that day that weren't rewards members, and if you get too high of a percentage there will be even more pressure to get sign ups. The pressure to get sign ups makes employees get customer information in sneaky ways to avoid nos and ends up with customers being signed up without their knowledge. I hated having to pester customers and repeatedly push the program, especially on the floor, because after a while customers would get annoyed with you. Lots of people just don't want to give their info out and employees shouldn't be forced to not accept no for an answer.

- Tablet transactions: Our store had some sort of quota about the number of transactions that had to be done on the tablet. The tablet was originally for ringing people up on the sales floor, so once in a while I had to walk around and ask customers if they wanted to check out. Another way to annoy the customer that sales associates are tasked with. Who's ready to check out when they're still walking around the store? Since no one was ready, we just had to switch between the traditional register and tablet when cashiering. This was really annoying and made things more difficult since the tablets are so slow. I had a customer yell at me that she hated the tablet.

- The pay: The pay was barely above minimum wage and we weren't given any sort of commission. It's definitely not enough to live on. You'll have to get another job to support yourself. I felt like I was underpaid for the amount of customer service and stress I dealt with. The next job I took after this paid twice as much and was much less stressful.

- The hours: Hours would sometimes randomly change last minute and you'd have to make time to come into work. I also rarely worked more than 15 hours each week, which makes paychecks small.

- Career advancement: I was only a seasonal employee, but it didn't seem like there was much opportunity to become anything more than a sales associate. Managers appear to be outside hires.

- Having to clean up clearance: Customers throw shoes all over the place and all clearance shoes have to be heel-to-toe before we leave for the night. This took hours and was tedious work.

- Being understaffed: I was stuck on register alone a few times and yelled at by customers who were in a hurry.

Advice to Management

Let up on the rewards program and tablet quota. The job itself was fun, but these two things made it way more stressful than necessary.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    lots of incentive for employees

Cons

taking back very old shoes

10. "College Job"

Pros

30% off discount on everything

Cons

Not enough hours most weeks

Showing 1,628 of 1,648 reviews