DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

Roger Rawlins

1,526 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Having to push enrollment into our rewards program to customers (in 125 reviews)

• Upper management and store management seem cliquey with their almost all female staff (in 65 reviews)

1. "Cashier, Inventory, Customer satisfaction"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment
    Flexible
    Great compensation

Cons

Unorganized
    Rushed
    Fast paced

Advice to Management

Keep up the work and remaining to be more hands on

2. "Good company, slow work day"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at DSW are good people. They seem to really care about their employees, and I felt the home office really cared about their stores. The discount is 30% off everything, including clearance, so that was nice too.

Cons

As a sales associate, the actual work was really boring. A lot of the time there felt like nothing to do, so I would spend most of my shift trying to find something to clean or organize.

Advice to Management

Find more 'busy work' for associates to do in off hours.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working there and the people I work with.

Cons

The push of rewards and Manager giving Hours based on how many rewards and shoephoria sales you get not far to the Associates that works hard.

Advice to Management

Not to be so hard on your Associate with the push of rewards.

4. "Good, could be better"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Birmingham, AL

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy job to learn and perform. Not very busy compared to most retailers unless it's during the peak seasons. Discount is great, although the company has made some changes with it. Your team will make or break your experience there.

Cons

Not a lot of associate motivation or incentive from company. Not a lot of room to grow unless you want to go into management. Key holders/ Managers have a lot of responsibilities, can get overwhelming with demands coming from DM and higher.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of your stores and associates

"Not as good as it used to be."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DSW used to be a place where I could come to work and have fun talking to customers. I loved shoes, I loved the people I worked with. The discount used to be good. But that wasn't the case forever..

Cons

I was with the company for 4 years. I used to love it so much. As time went on, we got a new CEO and he changed everything. The company calls itself "America's favorite place to work" but it's really not. All they care about is the rewards program. They will talk bad about the customers who don't want to sign up and they will make you force the customer to give their information. It's one thing if they don't want to sign up but to be told to say things to make the customer feel bad is so wrong. Every associate is forced to say "I'm here for you" to every single customer no matter what the situation is. The attendance policy is so strict with the points system that if you call out 7 times within 365 days you get fired. I have watched a lot of people move up with the company yes, but if they don't like you they will lie to you about promotions until you quit. They really give into their customers. Customers would yell at me because I'm following the rules by the return policy, and then the manager will come up and bend over backwards for the customer making me look like an idiot. But if I were to try to do something for a customer without consulting the managers I would get in trouble. All the technology is outdated and never works. It's slow and the systems are always crashing. The company tried to make us feel better by promising better technology that would not even be available for another two years. Employees are not allowed to take any discounts off except coupons without a manager to do it for them. The discount used to be SO GOOD 30% of everything including clearance! But the CEO decided that that was too much money in discounts so we no longer get a discount on Clarence.

Advice to Management

Stop determining a person's eligibility to get rewards. Stop profiling and talking bad about the customers who choose not to sign up for rewards.

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Omaha, NE

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-lots of hours available
    -lots of employees

Cons

-over-worked
    -boring
    -terrible lighting (unhappy environment)
    -uneven pay
    -over-scheduling

Advice to Management

make your store more fun / less restrictive /

7. "Not many hours and low pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

When hours were schedule, they were flexible. Managers can take job too serious at times.

Cons

Low pay, not very many hours for part-time.

"Here 4 U is lame."

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits for full time, 30% discount, and not too crazy during holidays. It's retail, so not a lot of positives.

Cons

This job is awful, the stores insist on hanging on to so much dead weight. Upper management are so disconnected from store level. It is just shoes, mostly cheap, crappy shoes, stop trying to make it sound like you're changing the world.

Advice to Management

Pay for what you want, add payroll to stores if you want more out of them.

9. "Here 4 You"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mid Country View, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mid Country View, MD

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have many years with DSW and I love our company values and all the changes the company is making to provide better environment for our team and better experience for our shoe lovers.

Cons

We can do better training and developing our team for differents positions. The training some times can be a challenge in high traffic store, I will like to be able to do one on one with my team.

Advice to Management

Inspire others leading by example, everyone want to rise and shine.

10. "Best. Job. Ever."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buckhead, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buckhead, GA

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The shoes, discount, using new technologies, no pressure environment, awesome management (Buckhead), team environment, huddles keep you informed on what has changed, motivated team members.

Cons

Shoephoria is slow on the tablets sometimes, but DSW is working on it. Besides that, I have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. This is the only job where I felt as though I worked along with others who truly loved their job.

Showing 1,526 of 1,539 reviews