DSW Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DSW

2.1

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DSW (Cleveland, OH) in January 2013.

Interview

Had a hour and half interview and was not hired. Had the interview in a break room with the store manager when other associates were walking in. Not very professional. Was over qualified for the position and had 22 years experience in the shoe business. There loss.

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DSW (Reno, NV) in January 2012.

Interview

Very casual,nice people, just asked about retail experience and how I would handle situations, gave information about the company and wanted to know my avalibility, Positive environment,Actually 2 of us were interviewed and hired for associates.I had hoped to be and thought I was being interviewed and considered for a management postion.

Interview Questions

• What brand of shoes do you prefer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

my foot in the door even if I had to start at the bottom, a bit frustrating since I was a key holder at my last job.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DSW (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

My personal experience was through promotion from part times so my interview process was very different from what it would had I been an outside candidate. I was moved very quickly as I was ready to make the transition.

Interview Questions

• What qualities are you bringing to a store that you feel the store might be lacking?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was easy. Always ask for $0.50 more than the offer.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

very fair. the company knows what they want and will dig in deeply to find the right person. The company has individuals interview with multiple people in order to get a good read of the candidate.

moved

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

Basic questions to determine understanding of retail environment

Negotiation

no negotiation. My references spoke for themself

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I had two interviews. They went well. I was asked basic questions about my experience. Nothing out of the ordinary. I was told that the regional manager was out of town and would be back the following week. I was told that I would be interviewing with him. I never heard another word from them regarding the position either way.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DSW (Detroit, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

Long I had 3 interviews, it was with 3 different people in 2 different locations. I met with a manager who didn't manage the store I will be at and I met with the interim district manager.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DSW in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with Store Manager in-store. It was a very relaxed atmosphere without pressure. I did my research on the company before the actual interview so it was very easy to discuss my strengths to complete the job per her and the companies description. Received phone call in one day stating there would be a second interview, over the phone, with the DM. After phone interview, had a second phone interview with another SM. this is not uncommon for upper management positions. It's all about consistency and getting a feel for the candidate. I never once felt overwhelmed by the interviewer or questions asked. Everyone was extremely passionate about what they do. It was a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• In your past experience, how was a leadership role structured and what were your responsibilities for growing your business?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Always state your desired salary. Know your own worth and don't be afraid to negotiate. Research the positions and the posted salaries and understand the pay scale associated with each.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I got the email notification that I was being considered for the position a few days after applying on line. I received a phone call from the Store manager to set up an interview about 2 weeks after the email. The interview was for 8 am and I got there early. I got a call from the SM saying she had to push back out meeting an hour later. I rolled with it. The interview was casual and pleasant, she really tried to get to know me and my values. It went well and was a positive experience. As I was driving home the SM called me to schedule a second interview with her DM and talked about money too. The next interview was scheduled for 4 days later in the late afternoon. I got a call from the SM asking me to reschedule because the DM had an emergency. Ok...I was flexible and willing to travel to the district office to accommodate the DM.. 62 miles from my home. I got to that interview a fee minutes early and had a nice chat with a store employee. When the DM brought me into her office she was fiddling with her printer for a few minutes and had her back to me...odd. She finally turned around and asked me about myself while she read my resume. Asked why I wanted to leave current job and I was very diplomatic and careful not to disparage the company. She tried to dig deeper and kept asking me to be more specific, saying she wasn't understanding. Then she didn't seem to like my career change reasons and by then I knew it wasn't going well.
    Got a rejection letter 5 hours later.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I applied online once as soon as I found out that a new DSW was coming to my hometown. I already work with shoes and was looking for a change of pace. I didn't hear anything for over a month, then out of the blue a store manager called me and wanted to set up an interview with me. The first interview went great! It felt like more of an intellectual conversation rather than an interview, the manager was very easy to talk to! He promised to call me and set up a second interview with his DM. He did as he said, and I had an interview with their DM a couple of weeks later. The manager that I originally interviewed with even went as far as to call me to get me prepped for the interview with his DM and helped me highlight key information about myself. He was so helpful, I've never experienced this kindness from a potential employer before. The second interview went great as well, and I was called a few hours later with a job offer and a pay offer that was way more than expected! I'm so extremely happy!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotion phase. They offered me more than I was expecting, so I was more than pleased!