Dropbox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Dropbox Founder and CEO Drew Houston
Drew Houston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is excellent both on a weekly basis and regarding vacation" (in 16 reviews)

• "Smart people, collaborative & social culture" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company grows from a small, agile startup to something bigger that needs more process" (in 30 reviews)

• "I found the work/life balance really bad" (in 14 reviews)

"Some growing pains, but overall excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone who works here is super smart, humble and kind. The recruiting team has done a great job maintaining that culture as we've grown.

- The perks are insanely generous, especially the food served in the Tuck Shop.

- We're working on interesting problems and thinking critically and empathetically about how to improve the way people get work done

- Especially in the younger parts of the company, there's still a lot of opportunity to build teams/processes/etc from scratch. Could be frustrating if you'd rather have all that figured out already, but if you enjoy that challenge you'll be happy here.

- If you care about work/life balance, you can definitely find it here.

Cons

- There's a lot of fear internally about breaking pieces of our business model or product or website that have traditionally worked well for the company, which stifles our own ability to take risks and innovate.

- People are almost too nice, which had led to a culture where you need to get everyone's buy in before your project can move forward. This slows us down and also allows one person to block an entire project on a whim.

Advice to Management

- Get serious about setting up processes that will help move work forward, faster.

- Don't be afraid to put a stake in the ground with your vision for the future of our product. If we can't commit to points of view around industry innovations, we'll get trounced by competitors who can.

- Empower employees to take more risks. The lawyers shouldn't be the ones running the company.

"Well-Intentioned, Disorganized, Directionless"

Current Employee - Product Designer
    Current Employee - Product Designer

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are truly excellent. There are generous stipends for transit, wellness, learning and development (books and conferences), and others. Dental, vision, and health are all covered. There is donation matching up to a $1000 per year, unlimited volunteer and paid time off (which, if you're daring enough to request, truly seems unlimited—I have yet to hear of someone's PTO request being declined), and if you're in an office with a Tuck Shop, world-class food served every day. You can gift Dropbox space to friends and family.

The culture values kindness and open-mindedness to a fault, and teams are given massive autonomy to work and ship as they see fit. This means you can have very different experiences depending on your team and manager. This also means if you see something broken, you're generally given the OK to go and fix it if you have the will.

There are company events throughout the year, including team offsites (I've been hiking, on a cruise, to an escape room, and to countless dinners and happy hours), guest speakers, parties, etc. Dropbox seems to spare no expense on events and travel, although I've heard it was even more extravagant in the past.

Cons

Dropbox lies squarely in the "ruinous empathy" quadrant of business culture. Promotions are measured by the number of friends you make, not the results you achieve, which results in decision making by committee and projects that lag on for months at a time because nobody is willing to take ownership or say "no." At the same time, projects spanning 6+ months of research, design, and engineering can be derailed by the opinion of a single manager in the pursuit of "perfect" rather than "better".

Staff lack a clear vision for Dropbox. Milquetoast strategy updates and new opportunities receive endless bravado but when it comes to actual execution there's little follow-through. Meanwhile, the core Dropbox product continues to suffer from longstanding problems like convoluted sharing and horrendously slow performance.

We use Dropbox Paper, our own docs offering, for absolutely everything—from project management to calendaring to to-do lists to meeting notes. What results is total chaos. There is no sane way to organize docs, which get produced at an astounding rate: product managers regularly compose dozens of new Paper docs in any given week. There is no way we would organize ourselves this way if we weren't so committed to using and abusing our own tool.

Simple bugfixes languish in backlogs for months or years without resolution. Abysmal developer tools and nonexistent analytics slow the company to a crawl.

We talk a big talk about "designing a more enlightened way of working" (corporate thinkpieces go up on the blog every few weeks) but how can we hope to improve work for others when our own house is a mess?

All these issues aren't new, and they're well-known to anyone who has been in the organization for longer than a year. We will talk about them and collectively agree they need to be addressed, but for whatever reason, nothing ever seems to happen.

Advice to Management

LEAD. Where are you? From down on the ground, seems like you've tapped out. Commit to a direction and see it through. Hold people accountable for results and set real deadlines. Fix the basics.

Standardize from the top down. We aren't a startup anymore, but we still act like one. We need standard platforms and processes across the org for project management, hard requirements for shipping, easily accessible analytics for *all* teams, and a continuous, direct line of communication with customer success so we understand the real problems that users are facing, not the problems we make up for our user personas to face.

Treat remote offices as first-class citizens. There's a lot of thrash that most likely goes unnoticed in SF. Check in to see how people are doing.

Pursue diversity more aggressively. And no, this doesn't mean just hiring more white women. We aren't doing well. Start with staff.

"Great intentions, poor execution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great attention to the inner workings of all processes, and to the underlying needs of employees
    - Transparency and candor around key business objectives and results
    - Care about employee buy-in to company strategy and future

Cons

- Atrocious treatment of lower-level talent. Frequent and poorly-executed management changes and poor resource allocation lead to burn out, lack of recognition, lack of strategic direction/support, and high attrition risk at lower IC levels.
    - Too much talk too little action. So much time is spent discussing how to do work and how to be more efficient, but no decisions/actions/tangible or impactful changes are actually implemented.
    - Lack of direct communication. Difficult questions aren't addressed nose -on and danced around, with a patronizing approach vs a 'lets find a better forum and talk this through' approach more appropriate for a smaller company.

Advice to Management

- Focus on giving lower level employees more channels to resolve their concerns (they should not be at the mercy of their leads, with little opportunity for change)
    - Be more direct in communication, even if it's not what employees want to hear (i.e. policy/approach toward CW conversions)

4. "account exec"

I worked at Dropbox full-time

Pros

innovative and upcoming if looking for excitement

Cons

chaotic at times......because new

"Couldn't have made a better decision"

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company, impact of my individual work is magnified. Collaboration between teams is amazing. The leads care about my growth and are providing learning opportunities on a everyday basis. The gym in SF is a perfect size. Only a 5 min walk from the train station. Work life balance is recognized by leadership.

Cons

The food is too good

"Political culture, constant re-orgs, not a great place to start your career"

I worked at Dropbox full-time

Pros

-Meals are the best part of working here, they splurge on food and happy hour
    -Brand name company although quality of hires and work has declined in recent years
    -Smart, fun coworkers

Cons

-Culture is extremely not transparent, decision making is concentrated to those who have been at the company longer
    -Surface level nice people

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

- Open and friendly work culture. A very inclusive and thoughtful work place where everyone can feel at home
    - Very strong perks
    - Competitive comp

Cons

- Slow to make important product and strategy decisions. Makes decisions by committee, not by executive vision
    - Certain teams have incredible influence despite very little actual influence on the business

Advice to Management

Don't worry about appeasing everyone. Learn to execute quickly, especially on near-term objectives. There's no need to overplan and do so much work about work

8. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent company
    - Got most things right

Cons

- Staying for a really long time makes you run into incompetent members of the leadership

9. "Solid place to work"

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

People and culture are as good as you'll find. Smart, motivated, largely apolitical.

Cons

Food is too good, you get fat if you're not careful.

10. "Great company"

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Culture, people, benefits, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Constant change can be negative for some