Dropbox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Dropbox Founder and CEO Drew Houston
Drew Houston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart people, collaborative & social culture (in 26 reviews)

• Respectful of your work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical high growth startup growing pains (in 27 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better (in 12 reviews)

1. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High impact projects affecting millions of users. The technical challenges are immense, and there are many interesting product problems to tackle as well.

Cons

Dropbox can be a chaotic place to work. You have to be able to work with others and manage your time well in order to get anything done.

2. "Partner Account Manager"

I worked at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Great culture, 3 meals a day with amazing perks. Really inspiring people to work with.

Cons

Management in the sales org are struggling. People are continuously leaving the org.

Advice to Management

Build out a more robust sales organization with more transparency.

3. "Great people and great times"

Current Employee - Talent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Talent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, amazing leads, amazing food and benefits. People really care about you as a person and all seem to be enthusiastic about their work and the role they play in making it an awesome place to work.

Cons

Not great career mapping within recruiting, as there doesn't seem to be a clear vision as to what the possibilities for ones career is. I do believe this is coming soon. The Global Head of Recruiting is learning on the job. They give an impression that they don't really care about technical recruiting and that we are just laborers working to hit a number so they can get a promotion and a bonus.

Advice to Management

Don't avoid the Technical Recruiting side of the house. It honestly feels like you don't care at all, and I am not the only one that feels this way.

"Good company, needs to mature though"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dropbox (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, an amazing culture of respect and fun. Salary is good.

Cons

Grow opportunity is limited. I think the company focuses more on its own growth compared to the growth of its people. Too much politics in the management level.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals for the company and stick to it. Stop changing direction and mission every 3 moths.

5. "Great culture, greater people"

Current Employee - Core Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Core Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, amazing perks and culture of people who are extremely intelligent and always happy to help one another succeed.

Cons

Constant moving pieces, tough industry

Aug 4, 2017 – Recruiting

Thanks for the review! Great to hear that you are enjoying your time here!

Culture and people are our priority at Dropbox. With these priorities, we aim to be successful within our the changing... More

6. "Strategic Territory Manager"

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Awesome people to make for an awesome culture

Cons

The food is unbelievable, but watch out, you will gain weight

Aug 4, 2017 – Recruitment

Love your review! We're trying to balance the gym classes with the food consumption... I have good and bad days at doing this!!

"Great culture, authentic"

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People feel real and leadership team cares and is very transparent.

Cons

Some folks have an entitled mentality. Decisions can be tough to get through ranks of leadership.

"Amazing people"

I worked at Dropbox full-time

Pros

An amazing culture founded on amazing people. Brightest people I've worked with, coupled with autonomy and a very caring culture that lets you bring your entire self at work.

Cons

Grew quickly and with that, comes growing pains. Depending on the team, there are different more or less experienced managers.

Aug 4, 2017 – Recruitment

Great to hear such praise for our Dropboxers and happy to hear that you are getting the opportunity to grow and learn!

With quick growth comes a need to assess the change. We are working hard to... More

"Miserable conditions"

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Dropbox part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a well known company that will look good on your resume when you leave, which you will want to do as soon as you start.

Cons

1) managers have no respect or concern for the welfare of their employees
    2) the product is a nightmare - it's coded like something 10 years ago and no one cares - they just want to sell this crap as quickly as possible to as many lemmings as they can find to increase their user count, which they think will drive up the IPO price
    3) customer support? are you kidding me? What a nightmare. It's not just that it's impossible to get support - the customer service agents actively share what should be confidential files and information from a user account when that user writes in with a complaint. I have regularly seen protected information shared among staff members
    4) you'd better be in the clique or else there is no opportunity for career advancement

Advice to Management

pack it in. bigger and better cloud sharing services are already eating into your market share and the utter contempt and disdain you show for users and employees is going to come back and bite you.

Aug 4, 2017 – Head of Customer Experience

Thank you for your feedback. Our teams are continuously working to improve the product and how we support customers. We also take users trust in us very seriously. We have several opportunities to... More

"Lots of smart people to work with and learn from"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work as product manager. Smart people to challenge your thinking if you are looking for constructive feedback. Dropbox gives PMs the opportunity to focus on why a problem is worth solving rather than just focus on churning out features.

It is at a great size where the PM team is large in the sense that there are a lot of great folks to learn from, but small enough that you will likely know all other PM's and can really scale your impact.

More importantly, the co-founders and the executive team really cares about broader issues such as diversity and respecting people from all background. Great perks when it comes to food, insurance, maternity/paternity, wellness etc.

Cons

Will have to figure out a way to transition from a single product company to a successful multi product company for long term success.