Dropbox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dropbox Founder and CEO Drew Houston
Drew Houston

Pros
  • Respectful of your work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Smart people who graduate TOP university / ex consultant / ex Googler (in 23 reviews)

Cons

"Great Culture and Ready to Help Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of impactful projects (even at satellite office);
    Just the right size - small enough (startup / pre-IPO / less politics) and big enough to have resources and some structure.
    People of different level in the career : e.g. junior people you can mentor and seniors you can learn from;
    Lots of potential - e.g. business;

Cons

questions about valuation brought up last year;

Advice to Management

keep being crisp about why Dropbox is better than the competition;

2. "Delusional Millenials"

Current Employee - Salesperson in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Salesperson in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing perks, although they're not as good as they used to be. High-value connections--just like our customers, our investors and fans are really attracted to us. You can meet some VERY influential people working here. Awesome food--thanks Tuck Shop!

Cons

Pathetically organized and managed. Zero game plan for the future. Delusional brats "knowing" how superior the worthless product is. Complete lack of accountability in every department-save engineering (who are leaving as they see the writing on the wall). Stale morale that is artificially bolstered with glitter and gold to enforce a sense of elitism and high-status amongst the ignorant recently-employed.

Advice to Management

Your experiment failed. Sell, hire veteran businesspeople, or IPO so we can get our cash and bolt ASAP.

"IPO Will be a Disaster"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I love my view from the Tower
    - I have a ton of options since I came pretty early
    - Lot of cool people to work with

Cons

- So much dilution in shares that everyone who thinks we're going to be rich from this IPO is delusional
    - So many young managers that hurt the morale of the teams. Honestly, these kids are way too inexperienced
    - We're far behind on the Enterprise space but kicking butt in the Consumer space. I think it is too late to catch up on the Enterprise side, but for some reason we keep wasting time and energy here.

Advice to Management

Get the priorities right. Enterprise or Consumer. It is demoralizing and confusing everyone.

5. "Driven Culture, Nice and Friendly Environment, Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

A great working environment with a warm, inviting, and friendly culture.
    Opportunities to learn from others with a wide range of experiences
    Great brand name recognition
    Strong perks and benefits
    Off the charts food options
    Leadership is very transparent regarding company direction and financials
    Individual growth opportunties

Cons

An excess of documentation on any number of topics. Streamlined and simple data can sometimes be tricky to locate

Advice to Management

Continue to provide transparent information on the direction of Dropbox and where we're going.
    Do not try to grow just for the sake of growing.

"Amazing Company Culture"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After having been a fan of the product itself and a long-time user, I was hopeful when I joined that they would live up to my very high expectations. So far I've been very pleasantly surprised to learn that the culture and environment is even better than I had expected. After having worked at several large tech companies in the area, I have realistic expectations when it comes to culture and work environment and often after seeing behind the curtains am disappointed with the results, however here I haven't seen anything that is popping that bubble. Even though we work in a satellite office (the HQ is in San Francisco) they are very careful to ensure that we maintain that environment that makes Dropbox special, as well as including everyone and being very transparent so that we don't end up feeling like a lonely island.
    *Benefits here are amazing (even compared with Microsoft, Facebook and the like)
    *Perks include having a catered breakfast, lunch & dinner (if you are going to be working past 5) every day. If you are lucky enough to work in the SF office, then you have your own restaurant with options crafted by a Michelin star chef. We also have a fully stocked kitchen and full bar. We also have a lounge area complete with Xbox One & Sega (old school), full band set-up, pool table, foosball, ping pong table and lots of different working spaces for any kind of work environment requested.
    *Company founders are onsite and super accessible, they really do care about each and every employee and put a lot into everything.

The transparency here is amazing, and if you have an idea or want to try something new out, I've been met with "yes" every time. Which is amazing and can offer up unlimited career progression, just don't be afraid to get in and get your hands dirty and get 'er done.

Cons

The only con I can find is the location, although we are in the Columbia Tower and the views are seriously the best in the city, I live on the Eastside and thus commute is a headache for me. Luckily we have a generous transportation benefits and a flexible work environment, so I can work from home as needed. The bus routes are the hardest part, trying to find one that will work with my schedule has needed a little work, but that's not really the fault of Dropbox.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the transparency intact, that's a very important part of this culture and the success of the product itself, so it's great to have that to showcase. As we are still very much growing, and growing at a very fast pace, it's important to make sure that we continue to hire people who will maintain that uniqueness that keeps us at Unicorn status, I've seen cases where bringing in the wrong leadership can tank an entire product line, so that's my biggest worry at this point.

"Great people & amazing office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Really smart, motivated people.
    Very collaborative culture - people are always willing to help solve problems or answer questions.
    Amazing office space and fantastic perks.

Cons

Growing pains as the company grows from a small, agile startup to something bigger that needs more process.
    Leadership can be hit or miss - some projects Dropbox executes on amazingly well but others feel like vanity projects for leadership that won't go anywhere.

"Really valued employee"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am still fairly new to the company but I can already tell you that I feel so valued as a new employee. All of the details going into your interviews and the feedback given are fantastic. The benefits also speak to this.

Cons

The only thing i can see so far is there is no downtown parking, however given an allowance a month helps with this. Plus in my opinion the amount of Pro's outweigh this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work. As a new hire I have never felt more welcomed and appreciated at any other company that I have ever worked for. I am so happy to be apart of this culture and hope to show this type of care and attention to all of our future new hires as well.

"Culture isn't great for minorities"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dropbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Super smart engineers
    - Great product design team
    - Fantastic perks and location
    - The founders are down-to-earth and relatable

Cons

- There is an ever-prevalent sense of entitlement throughout the engineering org
    - Lack of basic social skills - people don't believe in greeting others in hallways
    - Inexperienced and egoistic managers have caused a lot of damage and attrition in the past year
    - If you are a person of color, you may not exist for the rest of them for a long time (I am not a person of color, but I noticed the bias against my colored co-workers)
    - There still exists a boys club
    - Career growth and mentorship is limited
    - Don't work at Dropbox if you are a Product Manager or want to become one in the near future. The attrition rate in PM org is huge and lack of mentorship is appalling. Lots of unhappy PMs.

Advice to Management

Fix management issues, if you want you attract long-term experienced employees. Engineers have many options in the Silicon Valley, nobody wants to work for jerks!

"A slowly sinking ship"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dropbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like many companies, Dropbox has amazing perks -- excellent food, really nice onsite gym, and there's no commute as it's located in SF. Most people at the company are nice, smart, humble, and hardworking, but the hiring bar has been lowered quite a bit over the last year. This is a great place to start your career if you're entry-level.

Cons

All that glitters isn't gold. Despite the glitz of the perks, many people at Dropbox are really unhappy. This is due to several things:
    - Bad managers. Like, really bad. Very little training offered to new managers, and the company does not take action on managers who are consistently rated poorly or who have a lot of turnover on their team.
    - Very little career development. If you're mid-to-senior level and you're looking for autonomy and responsibility, this is likely not the place for you.
    - Dropbox is NOT a meritocracy. Many leveling and compensation decisions are based on favorites and are inconsistent from team to team, or level to level.
    - Despite being a relatively small company, it's tough to get things done. Weighed down by red tape and bureaucracy. If you're someone who is execution-oriented and likes to move fast, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stick to the values and raise the hiring bar. Stop hiring and promoting bad managers. Train new managers, and get rid of the ones who aren't effective. Provide greater development and mentorship opportunities for people who want them. Hire a more seasoned and effective HR team. Be fair and consistent with compensation and leveling decisions.

"Lots of great smart people, very sexist and cliquey "bro" culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Dropbox makes money no matter how badly management makes strategy. Because people love the product. It's great to work on such a valuable product, and there is some incredible talent wandering the halls.

Cons

Dropbox culture, at large, will strike you as a bit entitled. But management culture is the real challenge: slow decision-making and widespread lack of trust create a situation of insiders and outsiders, regardless of role or title. Ego is a driver of most c-level decisions (or lack of them) and the result is often visibly sexist. (Especially do not plan to be a new mother here). Ageism here also seems more pronounced than at other comparable tech companies.

Advice to Management

Management is decision-averse which trickles downward.