ExxonMobil Reviews | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Chairman & CEO Darren Woods
Darren Woods

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance, combined with the expectation to move every few years (at least for the side of the business I worked in)" (in 118 reviews)

• "Review process can be tough with a strict ranking system - it's all about performance" (in 185 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Project Development"

Current Employee - Project Developer in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Project Developer in Joliet, IL

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ExxonMobil is an innovative work environment bringing an opportunity to work with bright people from all over the world. I have held jobs across Manufacturing, Logistics and Projects over a ~10 year career. I'm consistently engaged at work and learning something new everyday. The new maternity and paternity benefits recently allowed my husband and I a great leave with our 1 year old boy! Great 401K match, pension plan and insurance policies are an added bonus!

Cons

Work locations in the US are largely concentrated around the Gulf Coast. The international opportunities offer much more location diversity.

Advice to Management

Continue the current path toward an inclusive and empowered work force. Also continue positive policy changes such as the recent improvements to maternity and paternity leave.

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s safe and their worker are very respectful.

Cons

They are very strict and stick to their rules.

"Not what you expect initially."

Current Employee - Revenue Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Revenue Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Recruiting process was fairly easy.

Cons

The work is unfulfilling. When recruiting while still in school the position on job board is very broad and you don't know exactly where you will be placed in the company. The company assigns positions by need basis and you really have no say as a new hire.

4. "Good career company,"

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Great salary
    Great benefits
    Pension options

Cons

Limited vacation time for new hires.
    Strict dress code

"I Am New, And It Is Not Worth It..."

Current Employee - EMRE Offsites & Utilities Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - EMRE Offsites & Utilities Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil (More than a year)

Pros

-Fantastic pay/benefits/amenities, especially for new hires...
    -If put in the right section, work can be challenging and high-impact at an early stage in ones career...
    -Frequent job rotations keep things interesting
    -Opportunity for exciting international assignments...if you get picked
    -SOME co-workers are extremely competent and a lot of fun to work with...
    -If you're the RIGHT person, you will go very far...(see Cons)

Cons

- Terrible onboarding & training, essentially thrown in the deep end and expected to keep yourself afloat.
    - A very obvious work/life balance problem that has gone unaddressed for quite some time (a lot of lip service from management, with very little results). Working to near-death is the norm, and anything below that is considered poor performance, despite what anyone will tell you. Physical/emotional/mental health issues are pervasive and common among co-workers (which they will keep secret so it will not be used against them).
    -95% of the meetings you will have here (in your entire career) are a complete waste of time, and will consider ridiculous questions and considerations with hair-splitting levels of detail, (the ones from my experience) tend to be poorly planned and facilitated, leading to what was supposed to be a one hour meeting turning into a 2 hour lecture of the biggest windbags thinking out loud to everyone with no consensus or resolution...Until two or three more iterations of these meetings take place. Because there are so many of these meetings, work can never get done-this is one of the main reasons why the work/life balance is poor. Spend the morning & afternoon surviving meetings, spend the nights catching up with work, repeat until inevitable burnout. Just remember: everyone likes the sound of their own voice here, plan accordingly...and bring aspirin.
    - Other co-workers are extremely incompetent and make work a nightmare in comparison-if you have a whiff of capability on you they will snuff it out with their toxic personalities and their ability to jockey you around on wild goose chases by off-loading their work onto you with minimal guidance-and taking all the credit for anything that looks good, of course.
    - Your relationship with your manager is everything, ESPECIALLY at the beginning. If your personalities conflict in any way-if he/she likes chocolate and you like vanilla-it will be used against you. It gets really nauseating seeing the great lengths some would take to get in with their manager-especially during ranking season...aspirin will not be enough...
    - A lot of backstabbing/boot-licking/one-upping/unethical practices among peers, all in the name of ranking, your colleagues are not family, but competition to keep a watchful eye on...trust no one.
    - New hires are treated like idiots with next to no capability (common phrase: "All the new hires know is where the coffee is..."), if you are one of them, you cannot have an opinion, in order to have one you will have to be hyper-aggressive and out-shout your co-workers rather than collaborate with them, or wait a few extremely bitter years where competency is measured by something as arbitrary as the number of years had with the company. When that kicks in, then take those years of frustration out on the new hires under you to perpetuate this stupid practice. A lot of lip service about being inclusive and empowered ("influence without authority" remains to be a hilariously hypocritical motto commonly used), but none of this is in practice-only the opposite: keep your head down, shut up and take your beatings, and work overnight because I said so. Meanwhile, experienced hires have issues with being pigeonholed into a position and being trapped there until retirement (OR they are rotated at a very slow rate relative to their peers who are or were new-hires)-basically taking away one of the main reasons for working here (frequent job rotations).
    - Rotations are great, but they are very rarely planned well (most do not ever happen, yet are mentioned as if they will, and the ones that do give you too little time to prepare) - also be ready to accept something that you do not want nor did you ask for, in a location you were not too thrilled about. YOU CANNOT SAY NO, it's an option...but it isn't.
    -Ranking is a taboo subject for a reason: it is an insidious process in that the ones who can influence/change/remove it are those who benefited the most from it, so it will never be influenced/changed/removed. It's typical that incompetent brown-nosers are rewarded in the top third, those who keep the lights on are in the middle third, and the bottom third are those who are being punished for political reasons (looked at the wrong person the wrong way), or cared too much about "silly" things such as the "life" part in a work/life balance.
    -Personal perspective, but I feel like this company was designed for only one type of person in mind, and those who happen to deviate in one or many ways from this mold will have significant challenges to face working here. If you're sensitive, an introvert, are polite, are secure in yourself and feel no need to compete with others viciously, are empathetic, have a sense of humor (and not afraid to show it), are prone to anxiety/depression, are modest, are informal, etc. you will be fighting yourself in the name of your career, you will need to compromise your identity, and the wonderful things that make you-well-you, and fit the aforementioned mold if you want to make it here...A fate worse than death if you ask me: a walking corpse.
    - Youngsters are typically looking elsewhere to springboard after a few years here, and the Old Folks are basically counting their days until retirement...not a good sign.
    -From personal experience, the campus-despite being very pretty and full of amenities-is basically a very uptight and pretentious country club, dress code is strict, personnel is tight-lipped and formal, and the conversations you will have with peers are abysmally shallow (on purpose of course, the walls have ears). While the sites have some of these tight-lipped and formal folks, the atmosphere is more intense yet loose with everyone fighting their own respective fire (each site is very different, some better than others, so hope you're in one of the "good" ones if it applies) so it becomes as informal as the dress code there as everyone is essentially in the trenches together-these different worlds clash often when they have to work together, just another frustration to add to the laundry list.
    -There are so many contractors here, doing essentially most of the hard work...It makes you wonder if management trusts the competency of their own employees...
    -Bad managerial decisions are made frequently, sadly the excrement flows downstream to the poor saps who will clean up the mess hoping it would reflect well in their rankings.
    -Generalized comment, but a very common one among myself and those who I have had candid conversations with: there is NO TRUST in anyone, none. Micromanagement is the norm here (find a study where that is NOT a terrible management style) regardless of your level of competence. Coupled with this micromanagement, everything has a checklist to go through, a process to follow, a list of people who have to approve unanimously, no decision is solely yours, but the decision of a committee on your behalf. Nothing is done by you, just pending approval from others. And you cannot circumvent or skip these process without going through an even more cumbersome process to skip the aforementioned process. The bureaucracy is beyond perplexing, and the fact that people have memorized and defend this is even more perplexing. It's weird how what was an initiative to idiot-proof everything has only lead to an inefficient weapon used by idiots to punish those who think outside of the box...it's a work of art, honestly. While there are new initiatives developed to cut down on this red tape, they are still using their cumbersome and mind-boggling processes to develop this process to cut down on their processes like some kind of Ouroboros...again, ART!
    -High attrition rate from the 5-year mark onwards due to these aforementioned cons, who wants 5-35 years of this kind of abuse? At this rate you would not survive long enough for retirement.

Advice to Management

Like they would care that one of their Numbers went rogue and started asking questions to other Numbers to see if it was being irrational. Only to find that it was not.

But for the sole one of you that actually cares:

-There is a very obvious morale problem, the culture needs a good looking into, a major factor is trust: trust your people, you will be surprised with all the beautiful things people make when they trust one another-one thing they make is better results with higher motivation (win-win)-and there needs to be strict training on inclusion, empowerment, and diversity for all levels of management (frankly from a 3rd party, we're too entrained at this point). Trying to crush New Hires' self-esteem with credentialism ("You're expected to not know anything.") and elitism ("I bet all the new hires know is where the coffee is.") does not seem like a great long-term strategy, and it shows in the attrition data. This training would also prevent unconscious biases from slithering their way into the ranking system, where disproportionate amount of women and/or minorities tend to get the short end of the stick (admittedly, there has been slow progress in the right direction...push a little harder!)
    - Siloes : We need integrated teams, not isolated groups that throw grenades at one another. It seems like one section does not trust the data from another section, so a lot of time is wasted on validating what our own people are doing, rather than working closely together throughout the process to circumvent this inefficiency. It's kind of silly that we can't even trust our own neighbors.
    -Be More Open: Everything is kinda closed-off and distrusting in general, let people make mistakes, let people ask questions, even let people fail if need be-incredible discoveries (including the ones that made ExxonMobil what it is today)-came from this level of autonomy. In an understandable attempt to remain sustainable for the long-term we have shielded ourselves in a very thick, protective cocoon. This has worked well (exceptional job security, good planning, etc.) but has also been stifling our own potential (cumbersome processes, low job satisfaction, poor morale, etc.). Oil & Gas is known as an industry stuck in their ways, but why not set an example? The motto for ExxonMobil is "Energy Lives Here", all we need is a spark from within, why not break this cocoon and spread our wings for all to see?

There's a reason why I wrote all of this, it's because I WANT to like it here, I really do. I come in determined, I work hard, I want to spend my career here, but until things start changing I am beginning to lose confidence that ExxonMobil is the home I should stay in.

For the one of you that read this:
    Thank you.

6. "Great job to start at"

Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Bordentown, NJ
    Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Bordentown, NJ

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn customer service

Cons

The schedule is not concistant

7. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Midland, TX

Pros

Intellectual challenge, open mindedness, lots of opportunity, meritocracy. Lots of big projects coming up and lots of experience to be gained, company runs fairly lean in the unconventional department for a large corporation.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to navigate the red tape, no 9/80 or defined flexible work schedule

8. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Spring, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ExxonMobil hires competent people so colleagues are good quality professionals; fair amount of autonomy; interesting projects

Cons

Limited control over your career positions / advancement

Advice to Management

Allow more employee input into job placement / movement

9. "Awesome experience at the start of a cultural shift"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Invested in continuing education
    Actively engaged in ensuring you have the tools you need
    Safety conscious
    Practices radical candor
    Great place to plana long term career

Cons

Can be hard to make an impact
    Hard to take risks

Advice to Management

The constant push to limit risk may in itself become the greatest risk.

10. "Working for the past 1year in exxon"

Former Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at ExxonMobil part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It gives me time to work and study

Cons

Low salary and no benefits for employees