ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 17, 2017
1,084 Interview Reviews

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the campus hiring website. Then I attended the info session where they answered basic questions about how the interview process is. Last was the face to face interview and job offer in a couple days.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a group problem and you came up with the solution   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied through my university in 2017. Process took about six weeks total. First was a 45 minute on campus interview with standard behavioral questions. Exxon uses a lot of STAR method questions, and the interviews are very standardized across the company.

I was then called a few weeks later and invited to Houston, where I met with a host and had 3 interviews throughout the day, all behavioral again. Everyone there was very nice, but it was honestly difficult trying to figure out what position I was actually interviewing for since Exxon likes to interview people for many things at once.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were working in a team and there was a difficult team member. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Met at school career fair. Gave them my resume. Received a call and met up for an interview a couple days later. The interview was on the campus hotel and I met with two employees. It was my first interview ever and I was super nervous but they were very comforting and friendly. They called me a couple weeks after for a second round interview. It was a short phone call and mostly about me and my future. Received an offer about a month after.

Process Operator Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Interview was unlike any interview I've ever been on. It pretty much let's you know that you're interviewing for a highly competitive job, somewhat like auditioning for a TV show. The interview was held in the Hilton hotel where ExxonMobil rented out an entire floor where they had multiple interviews going on at once. The first group asks mainly background questions about your work history/educational history etc. The next group of interviewers ask situational questions. My advice would be to prepare yourself before you go by writing down key points on a notepad and writing questions down for the end of the interview. A LOT of questions, they love it. Two months later I received a phone call with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were in a stressful situation and how you overcame that situation.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I had an on-campus behavioral interview following a resume submission online. Interviewer did not seem interested at all, nor did he make any eye contact throughout the interview. Definitely an unwelcoming experience.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you overcame a challenge working with others?   Answer Question

Entry Level Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

They asked a bunch of behavioral style questions that you are supposed to use the star method to answer for, such as "Tell me about a time when you..." questions.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Simple 1 hour behavior interview. Got offer the next day. Honestly, such easy interviews don't weed out enough candidates that tend to provide little value. Other than that, the process was quick and easy.

Interview Questions

• Decribe a difficult situation   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied at the school career fair, had an interview the next day. Was told that decisions wouldn't be made for several weeks. After several weeks I was called and flown down for in person interviews. Overall, a pretty standard process

Interview Questions

• Standard behaviorial questions and questions related to my projects   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online through the Recent College Grads job posting. I received a text from a recruiter asking for a phone interview which occurred the following week. Phone interview basically just was told about the position and asked if I had any questions/ when I could fly down for an interview. Flew down the following week and had dinner with a recent hire the night before the interview. Interview day consisted of a leadership interview, technical interview, and general questions from one of the managers. The day also included presentations from HR regarding benefits, a plant tour, a meet and greet with other engineers, and a general overview of the company. Was contacted the following week with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went above and beyond what you were asked to do.   Answer Question

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was completed a 45 minute interview at a conference. About 2 weeks later, got a phone call from one of the departments at ExxonMobil. It was more a description of the potential job and probe if it was the work I would be interested in then a phone interview. Flew down to Houston about a week later and had an amazing time with the company. There was a dinner the night I arrived with a couple of people who had been working at the group ~1 year that was a good opportunity to informally ask questions. The next day was an 'interview' with HR where they essentially described the benefits of working at the company. Afterwards, there were four interviews with different people in the group- all behavioral and very relaxed. They were really just trying to get an idea of who I am/what I like about engineer to see if the job would be a good fit. They also threw in some time with team and a campus tour. The entire process was very enjoyable and impressive. It was clear that the people I talked to enjoy their work and are proud of it. Be prepared to talk about yourself and ask questions about the company. It is tiring to go through a day of interviews, but it's a great opportunity to figure out what your role would be.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral type questions. Most of the time it was more of a conversation about my resume/interests as opposed to my interviewers sticking to the prescribed leading questions.   Answer Question