ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.9

Senior Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone interview; a few in-office interviews. I felt like the company is very professional and very accommodating and I had a great experience. They don't try to trip you up, but make you feel very comfortable.

Research Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through their website in Jan. Heard back from the Hiring team in February. Set up a phone interview, half an hour, easy behavior questions and a few simple technical ones. Pretty straightforward. Several later, the hiring manager flies me on site. Had a pretty nice dinner with ppl in the company, very nice restaurant and well organized. They answered a lot of informal question I had. I tried to ask for interview schedule before the interview day. But only got the list the night before. The next morning I was picked up at 7, give a seminar talk with an audience size of about 20, most from the hiring team. Questions were not difficult. Interviewed at least a dozen ppl, half an hour each. At the end of the day, the hiring manager told me that the feedbacks have been positive, and she will make a decision either after I left or the next morning. Overall, very good experience. Pretty intense, but I did not feel exhausted. Awesome people and very encouraging working environment. I feel like they are looking for good people instead of focusing on technical ability. Though technical excellence got me on site. But on site interview was more on fitting and personality. I accepted the offer the next morning.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Newark, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

I gave a 1h technical seminar for approximately 30 research scientists and answered technical questions they had during and after the talk. This was followed by nine 30 min one on one interviews/ discussions with some of the team members as well as a lab tour at the end of the day.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

It's a one-hour phone interview. It includes two parts: 1. they first did job position introduction as well as their background introduction; 2. They went through my Ph.D. work (based on my resume) and asked me to explain some experiences that I listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Some behavior questions such as: How do you feel about mentoring undergraduate and graduate students?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

BE ADVISED - Exxon's job interviews are generally done "in bad faith". What I mean by this is that they have internal metrics and quotas from upper management that at least XYZ number of candidates be interviewed for a position prior to closing out the job posting. This then forces the hiring manager to set up interviews with applicants even when there is no interest in hiring them, or when the lead candidate has already been identified and an offer has been extended.

So DO NOT go out of your way in order to do a phone or in-person interview. If it happens, it happens. But don't take time off work, or spend countless hours preparing for the interview - for all you know they could already be onboarding the new hire, and you're just a box they're required to check.

This is a common practice in the finance sector, but as far as I know Exxon is the only Oil&Gas/Energy sector company to engage in such bad conduct. It's especially cruel considering some people sacrifice their time and energy and put aside other pursuits in order to be available at the designated interview, as well as all of the time dedicated for preparation.

Also, during the interview they may state that a follow-up notification will be sent - either by phone call or email on the next step. That's merely a nice line of dialogue they're forced to say during the interview. In reality, if you are not selected for the job, you will never be notified. After 2-3 weeks with no email and no phone call, it's left to you to take the hint.

Interview Questions

• The normal basic ones - key skill, example of working with a team, etc.   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in May 2017.

Interview

Very heart pounding interview. But can become easy with interview prep. Interview is broken into two parts, one situationals and the other about your background. Best advice I can give is practice interview questions to yourself in the mirror.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Exxon?
      What was the thing you liked / disliked about school and your past jobs?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview. The process is fairly pleasant, which is an approximately one-hour one-on-one interview. After the interview, your material will be sent back to the offices to see if there is a matched team. If not matching the area they are seeking people for, then most likely no offer. But the interview process is overall pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Part I: Describe/elaborate some of the experiences listed on your resume.
      Part II: Behavioral questions, e.g. what is your strengths/weaknesses, what is the greatest achievements/failure, etc.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I found this position online via our school career service website. I applied for it and was emailed notified that I was invited to the interview. They hosted a reception that invited all the qualified recruits to a dinner and meet with the interviewers.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

interview process was routine - staff was very friendly and helpful. There were several rounds of interviews with different personnel. Interview was focused on typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time you had to show leadership..etc)

Income Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

My on campus interview with ExxonMobil went better than I expected. My interview was an hour long. They split it between 2 different interviewers which 30 minutes each. The first interviewer asked me few behavior interview questions and the second interviewer asked me technical interview questions about accounting.