GameStop Reviews | Glassdoor

GameStop Interim CEO Daniel A. DeMatteo
Daniel A. DeMatteo

3,849 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Nice Co-Workers, learn a lot about Video games" (in 469 reviews)

• "Discount on games and physical items" (in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance was very poor" (in 117 reviews)

• "Lack of support from upper management" (in 282 reviews)

1. "Great place to start"

I have been working at GameStop part-time

Pros

You have access to knowledge and information that keeps you in the know of the gaming industry

Cons

The pay can be limited.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people.

2. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, Respectful Manager, Video games everywhere

Cons

Low pay, very little hours

"A Fun Job!"

I worked at GameStop part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly coworkers, enjoyed the product I was selling.

Cons

Getting robbed at gunpoint one time.

"No advancement"

Current Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GameStop (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun customers, discounts on products, lots of freedom to run the location like a small business without the startup costs, good bonuses make people want to buy from your store

Cons

Not enough hours, often working alone, store managers are expected to work holidays with no holiday pay or overtime, black friday store managers were expected to work 16 hours in a day, even when stores are robbed, they don't increase the available hours for team members so that nobody has to be there alone. No opportunity to move up unless you are able to pick up and move across the country.

Advice to Management

Every store should have at least two employees at any time; it's so dangerous to have only one person in the store, and leads to a high opportunity for theft.

One of my coworkers tried to get promoted into a district manager level position even with the availability to move anywhere and failed to be promoted for over 6 years.

5. "GameStop"

Former Employee - Gamestop Sales Associate in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Gamestop Sales Associate in Laredo, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people around you. you can have awesome work effect and be positive every time of the day, also well always feel welcome at Gamestop

Cons

You can get frustrated at time but of also not knowing what to do around your surroundings could leave you in bad situation.

Advice to Management

I would have nothing to say mostly because i had a great valued with them but if i could say one thing it would be get to know who you work with.

6. "Store Leader"

I have been working at GameStop full-time

Pros

Discounts, bonus opportunities, benefits, 401K, tons of employee resources, great employment experience

Cons

Upper management, holiday schedules, pay

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates. We're on the front lines, we know what works and what doesn't. Not all stores are the same and should be treated as such.

7. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You are given tools to actually lead and succeed at your job for the most part. Great people to work with. Great environment.

Cons

Disconnect from corporate to store level. They ask a lot of you and your time. Accountability is higher at store level than at corporate.

Advice to Management

Understand your employees better.

8. "Assistant manager, senior game advisor, Game advisor"

I have been working at GameStop part-time

Pros

Discounts, team based, hourly pay

Cons

Pay, No overtime, commutation. Other than that everything else is tolerable.

Advice to Management

I want to start by saying this not a bashing or a individual person complaining about the company.

Thank you to all my fellow co workers and upper management for teaching me skills that will pertain to my life wherever I choose to go.

Most problems I mentioned management knows about and is currently working on! They're also in the works for a new CEO as the past unfortunately passed away, and the man after him stepped down due to personal reasons that's none of my concern. So management is very busy with that, day to day tasks, 4th quarter sales to finish up a great year for sales in the gaming industry and so forth. My problem with gamestop entirely still is the lack of hours provided, AND the lack of pay. Most folks think employees at gamestop make bank in the sales industry. I cant even make a payment on my apartment lease without going negative every two weeks.

That also being said it's not gamestop's fault. However, for the company to grow, they need to make a bit of an investment into the employees that work for them. As a key-holders base pay is around 8 dollars. Some weeks I personally work around 23 hours, others could be basically 8 hours. Ive been an assistant manager before, Ive created schedules for the team 2 weeks out. Yes, hours are given mostly to the hardest workers, but 8 hours is what the hard workers got that week. That's no where near rent.

Which leads to a second job, which leads to better opportunities, which leads to a 2 week notice and stores being deprived of talent at the start of the next seasonal hiring period. Nothing wrong with first time hires, but when push comes to shove, gamestop is nothing but a stepping stone that pushes talent out the door to bigger and better opportunities. Which is great for everyone. Except for Gamestop.

As I said, they are working EXTREMELY hard to fix the company internally and honestly all personal feelings aside, with friends and co workers, it's a fantastic 1st time job. I love my time here, and have been with the company for a little while. It's always changing and it's always a positive change.

Whoever the guy is filling the role of CEO right now is what we've needed for a while, and I know I've read he is just a temp. But he's carrying the company forward. That will keep gamestop floating for years to come.

Again this was not a bash or anything other than my opinion so far.

Gamestop experiences may vary as I have had the pleasure to work in a fantastic store, and a fantastic district. The customers are the best part of every day and I pride myself in the growth I've made thanks to this company.

If you have read through this long post hopefully it still allows you to decide whether or not it's for you. I'm putting all this here, because I would want an honest opinion without personal emotions interfering to much.

Thanks again.

9. "alright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, fun to talk to guests, good place to talk about videogames if that's a passion of yours

Cons

The pay is not good. I had years of experience in retail and started at less than 10/hr. you might not be able to get a lot of hours

10. "Former Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I worked there for several years, I was blessed with great leadership and mentorship from other Managers and Regionals. You're given the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

Long hours and when I worked there I felt the pay was a little low for the amount of work most stores need.

Showing 3,849 of 3,885 reviews