Gulfstream Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Gulfstream President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Pay and Benefits, Lots of room of move around to other positions (in 20 reviews)

• Good people, good pay, decent schedule (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • This company is the definition of the good ole boy network with a very clear glass ceiling for women and minorities (in 27 reviews)

• Terrible work-Life balance during closing (in 19 reviews)

"Gulfstream: Honest, Ethical, and Awesome"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent and Honest Recruiters:
    My Gulfstream recruiter was so intent on bringing me into the fold that he asked me over and over to give notice at my previous job. I remember feeling so flattered. I gave notice as requested but then the strangest thing happened…My recruiter called me the day before my scheduled move to inform me that my background check hadn’t cleared. The recruiter then told me that Gulfstream would not move me until my background check cleared. I was unemployed and living on savings for more than a month. Honestly, that recruiter was such a magnanimous and remarkable fellow. I still have such fond memories of him.

Impeccable Ethics:
    I spoke with some colleagues who started at Gulfstream around the same time as me. It turned out that recruiters were doing the same thing to other folks that they did to me. There were some legitimate issues with Gulfstream’s background service provider at time (really, there were some problems with the provider). I love how Gulfstream did not bother to inform any of the job candidates. I still marvel at Gulfstream’s unprecedented ethics while acquiring and holding onto to new hires. I actually seek to emulate those same ethics in my daily life.

Cons

Okay, I’m going to cut the sarcasm for a brief moment. There actually are some good departments to work in at Gulfstream. I had some colleagues who managed to find fulfillment at Gulfstream. Unfortunately, not everyone can be that lucky. Do your homework and know your worth. If you plan on making a career at Gulfstream in the bad areas, then keep your head down, do as your told, do not try to improve processes, and DO NOT complain to management. Knowing the corporate handbook rules will not help you as those rules apparently only apply to the proletariat. Middle and upper management take complaints very seriously…in that they will seriously intimidate, micromanage, and outright lie until you shut up. Alright, let’s get back into sarcasm mode…

Advice to Management

I really wish I could have been micromanaged more. Nothing made me feel as helpless and unworthy as being constantly badgered for status instead of being allowed to work out issues in a constructive manner. I really miss that feeling in my new job. Please give us more of that helpful and a necessary micromanagement, please?
    I wish that I could have been lied to a little bit more. I did my best work only when I doubting my own sanity and being gaslighted. I was so busy trying to prove my own worth, to myself, that I generated tons of value for the company in process. It was really a win-win for everyone.
    We really need a less responsive HR department. They were simply too helpful with all my issues. They were always there to help me, I always felt like they were in my corner…Always.
    We really need to see more nepotism and favoritism please. Being regularly blamed for the actions of my department’s favorite engineer really taught to me to take responsibility for other people’s mistakes. I mean, how else could I grow out of my own laziness and obvious ineptitude? Also, being blamed for causing problems that happened when I wasn’t even at work was absolutely refreshing. It taught me the invaluable lesson of carrying blame home with me after my shift.

2. "Intern"

Pros

Paid for housing
    Great company culture

Cons

Some Interns had very little work

3. "IT employee"

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gulfstream makes world-class aircraft and a lot of the leadership is good overall. They have pretty good benefits and a great 401k match of 6%

Cons

There are many processes in place that make it hard or inefficient for employees to complete work and over the last few years there have been a few layoffs

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding team members as you are doing to boost morale and really try hard to hire good talent because it does not seem like people get fired besides layoffs once they're in the door and there are lots of lazy, comfortable employees

4. "GulfStream"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family environment, great product, friendly work environment

Cons

No notice termination due to company financial issues

5. "Staff accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

Really good people to work with. Good pay, good benefits. Company does good job at instilling pride in employees. Cool product, and good work life balance

Cons

IT problems from time to time. Occasional layoffs (expected due to the cyclical nature of the aerospace industry).

Advice to Management

Focus on training, career advancement opportunities for employees

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    State of the art technology

Cons

I personally am not a fan of the location

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Security analyst"

I worked at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

good opportunity for advancement in field of expertise, many colleagues with similar goals. Very supportive of advanced certificates

Cons

Found that unusual number of fellow employees were not happy with current job description or present position

Advice to Management

Keep supporting employees in future goals and give generous advice as how to achieve those goals

8. "Senior Tech"

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

Powerful parent company.
    Tremendous product line.

Cons

Pay raises are very slow.

9. "Resume Builder"

Current Employee - PLM Configuration Analyst in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - PLM Configuration Analyst in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Experience. No shortage of work to do.

Cons

Extremely stressful. Schedules constantly sliding to the left. Promotions don't come often enough.

Advice to Management

Pay Overtime

"Not People Centered but pretend to be"

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's aviation - they pay well.

Cons

They want to compete and be one of the top employers like Google- in order to do that you have to treat your talent well and not like an after thought

Advice to Management

You spread your talent too thin, and demand too much. In some cases, most people would consider this acceptable (for the short term) except that you do not offer (or come close to competing with any of the companies that offer) perks to help offset that. ( e.g., you have a telework policy, let people use it!) Treat your employees like human beings and not numbers. Your morale is in the toilet, another hurarara ‘aspire’ program will not fix that. Perhaps less engineering ‘left brained’ types who do not have people skills managing people and more people who have communication and empathy skills in those roles? Your ‘do more with less’ attitude and the way you treat your employees is antiquated and outdated.