Highmark Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Highmark Health President and CEO David L. Holmberg
David L. Holmberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home is flexible when you may need to be away from the office" (in 36 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is good - we work hard when it's needed and leave on time when we can" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Freedom with initiative"

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with and my manager has given me a ton of freedom to do things I'm excited about. Work-life balance is good - we work hard when it's needed and leave on time when we can.

Cons

The organization can be a bit reactive and silo-ed, which can feel like we're more focused on putting out fires then making good decisions together.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and trusting your employees to do their best work. Give them good plans (beyond high level direction) so they know how to execute your vision.

Sep 12, 2018 – Account Director

Thank you so much for your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad that you enjoy work-life balance and the company of your team members! We are working on initiatives to break... More

2. "Talent Aquisition"

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time

Pros

Great leadership, culture and work/life balance. My co-workers are the best. A team environment with knowledge and support whenever needed. Opportunities to learn are often.

Cons

Large workloads and the commute into town.

Advice to Management

Your leadership is appreciated and I hope to see the continuation of this style for many years to come. Please keep trusting your employees and continue to offer the ability to learn something new regularly. Town Hall's are great but would like to better understand our department is effecting the bottom line.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous PTO program, Responsive employee relations, Leadership listens, is engaged in the communities we serve and pays attention to what the workforce cares about. I'd join again! Come make a career here :)

Cons

Can take a long time to receive communications about important initiatives in a large organization such as Highmark, but I guess that's to be expected. Would love to hear more about what others do to exemplify our Core Behaviors.

Advice to Management

Lead more that manage. Encourage vision-driven learning in your teams, and help employees reach their career goals too--not just business objectives. Remind us where we fit in, sooner and more often. Offer more telecommuting flexibility.

"Culture issues"

I worked at Highmark Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to land on a good team, the people are great.

Benefits are not bad, though i got better benefits from Highmark AFTER i left vs as an employee for less.

There is a bonus structure.

Cons

Upper management is a joke with maybe 1 exception. Communication between teams and from said upper management is even worse. Political correctness from the top is rampant. We don't need a message from the CEO on current events and how Holmberg feels about it. We get enough emails and if i wanted commentary on the news, i have access to TV and the web for that.

There is a STRONG culture of fear. They have a 1 strike and you're out policy. Meaning, it doesn't matter if you follow all the rules, dot all your I's and cross all your T's. If you make an honest mistake, they show you the door. I've seen it happen with too many of my coworkers.

Work-life balance is non-existent. Incident management is a joke.

Advice to Management

You can not expect to keep and maintain people in IT that are afraid to do their job. There is a reason change control is in place, and sometimes things do not go as planned. Pull your self righteous heads from your backsides.

Plan projects better, and get rid of the toxic people. Listen to the people who are in the trenches.

Follow through on what you are saying you would like to see from people, and provide a path forward without arbitrary obstacles.

5. "Great company with a lot of opportunity"

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company with a lot of opportunity for career growth and advancement

Cons

Always a lot going on, you need to keep up with communications.

Oct 3, 2018 – Account Director

Wow! We were thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We appreciate your contribution to the company.

"Good Company, Demanding Environment"

Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've had challenging, interesting work for which I am fairly compensated. For the most part, I've had really good leaders. Highmark has forward-looking strategic leaders and has remained competitive in its marketplace so its viability as a company is very sound.

Cons

The company has been mentally and physically rough on me (demanding schedule, etc.). Coworkers in many parts of the company are unhappy. Line leaders (supervisors, managers) are stretched thin with their responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Figure out a fair work-from-home strategy and get leaders in various parts of the company onboard with the idea that work from home is OK.

Continue a focus on helping leaders of people gain the skills they need to be effective. Good technical skills don't necessarily translate into good people skills

There is significant disjointedness between various parts of the company, process-wise (IT, HR, Finance, Hospitals, etc.). Each part has its own version/flavor of processes, so when there is a need to work cross-functionally, it creates a battleground. Determine how this can begin to get resolved?

We talk about culture and values and they are simple to understand and promote. There are leaders, though, that do not personally represent the culture/values in a positive way, although they are lifted up as examples. The mismatch between their talk and their example is a problem that should not be ignored.

"Making change happen in the face of disruption"

Current Employee - Manager in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

David Holmberg has been an upstanding leader with a vision to shape healthcare for it's patients and members. He has a vision that employees can get behind and believe it. I know that I am making a difference in my work. I'm able to be innovative, think different and make change happen. Communication is transparent and issues are tackled head on. I have respect for Highmark and look forward to another 10+ years.

Cons

Majority of jobs are in Western Pennsylvania. Although my manager allows flexible work schedules and work from home, it is a manager decision and not followed consistently by all departments and companies.

Advice to Management

We are at a pivotal moment where the integrated delivery and finance system is being realized. Keep pushing. Keep thinking big. Keep focus on doing right by the customer. Understand outside influences that are disrupting our industry so that we can stay ahead of the curve and be an industry leader in innovation and creative problem solving. You have a huge team of talented people to help solve for the future. Help us understand your vision and bring us along with you!

Oct 3, 2018 – Account Director

It makes our day to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We appreciate your contribution to the company. We'll be sure to share your feedback on innovation.

8. "Highmark Health review"

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment where I feel that my ideas and suggestions are valued. Great work life balance and flexible work arrangements help to alleviate some of the pressures and stress created by a high volume workload. Progressive culture in a lot of areas of the business allowing for casual dress code, work from home days, flexible work schedules, telecommuting, etc. Pay and benefits are very competitive with the market for most positions.

Cons

Communication between departments can use some improvement to ensure all are on the same page in regards to policies and procedure updates. A lot of overlap and redundancies in some of the different businesses where tasks could likely be centralized or consolidated. Workforce planning needs to be more proactive instead of reactive.

"It’s been an awesome experience."

Current Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of if not the best management group I’ve worked with. They are great leaders and want/help you succeed.

Cons

I have no cons. The group I work with are awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"Decent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great because of my direct leader/the department in which I work (that will not be typical everywhere). Work from home is flexible when you may need to be away from the office. Our offices were recently renovated and make for a pleasant work environment. Standing desks, huddle rooms that do not need to go through corp. scheduling, white board walls - all very conducive to getting work done comfortably and efficiently. The organization as a whole is moving in the right direction - the things that we are doing right may not exactly have direct impact on employee experience.

Cons

While the company is making strides in efficiency/technology there are a lot of archaic and overly cumbersome processes to do seemly simple things. Running into "red tape" is typical. The environment is quite hierarchical in nature. No matter level of importance for something such as a conference room you will be bumped if someone with a higher title needs to use the room (no matter the reason they need it). Room scheduling is an absolute nightmare; we have too many meetings with too many employees for the space that we have to use. Leaders will typically be in back to back meetings all day. In some areas there is an expectation that you will always be available day or night, esp. to answer to an executive or physician (Hierarchy!!!). If you stay within Highmark for a long time (this is mot likely typical of most organizations) you can expect to get relatively low merit increases, with little to no opportunity for increases outside of that process. Mgmt/ compensation thinks bonuses will keep good employees (and this is when they can actually get them approved by HR/COMP)

Advice to Management

Culture has a long way to go to keep up with the times. We preach reward for performance - that is far from the truth. Start trusting employees to do their jobs and stop having so many meetings so you are actually available to manage. It starts with you!

Oct 3, 2018 – Account Director

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit such a detailed and thoughtful review. We will be sure to share your feedback internally about culture, management and compensation.