Highmark Health Reviews

Updated May 28, 2020

Highmark Health President and CEO David L. Holmberg
David L. Holmberg
Pros
  • "Work from home is flexible when you may need to be away from the office(in 41 reviews)

• "extensive training, good pto time, good benefits(in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Creative Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Trusting environment, motivational seminars, ample opportunity for growth and persona development, growing diverse and inclusive culture, leadership that are invested in their employees, ability to work from home regularly, flexible schedules

Cons

Sometimes work life balance is hard

Highmark Health2019-10-25

October 28, 2019Talent Community Manager

We are thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health as a Creative Manager! We are so glad you're enjoying your the work environment, opportunities for growth, flexibility and our culture! It's reviews like this that let us know we're on the right track. Thank you for your contributions and for being a part of the Highmark Health team!

2. "Ample Opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The ability to progress in your role. The innovation is outstanding. I’m a 20+ year employee. I am impressed daily by the amount of dedication my employees have for their jobs.

Cons

Sometimes work life balance is hard.

Highmark Health2019-05-17

May 20, 2019Talent Community Manager

We are thrilled to receive your five-star review! Thank you for your contributions and for being a part of the Highmark Health team!

"Toxic work environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement Market competitive salary & bonus Some really bright spots in terms of talented people but they burn out quickly

Cons

Dizzying list of competing strategies and priorities No one is allowed to speak truth to senior leaders Almost total disregard for front-line staff Talks about employee engagement but actually considers employees as disposable Worst most damaging office politics that I have ever encountered

Highmark Health2020-05-28
  4. "Decent Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

flex schedule, exposure to commercial apps

Cons

management engagement, project management, instability

Highmark Health2020-05-12

May 18, 2020Talent Community Manager

We appreciate your review as a Senior Applications Developer at Highmark Health! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying the work/life balance. Please know that we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees. Your concerns about management and instability taken seriously and we will be shared internally as we are always looking to improve the employee experience. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Manager if you have not done so already.

"Very glad I started by career here, but also very glad to be leaving"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot of great people Flexible with non-work needs Really great place to start a career

Cons

Management is particularly awful Expectations are disproportionate

Highmark Health2020-05-03

May 4, 2020Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review as a former Applications Developer at Highmark Health! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the work/life balance and having the opportunity to begin your career with us. Since we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees, we will be sharing your feedback about management internally, as it helps us consider how we can improve the employee experience. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

"Laid off"

Former Employee - IT Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Honestly loved this company previously

Cons

Who lays off their whole operations team. Desktop, and call centers in the middle of a pandemic? Outsources us. Expects us to “re-apply” with 3rd party palmoroy to “maybe get rehired” bad company. Doesn’t care about their employees. Maybe senior management should take a pay cut in these such “hard times” instead of laying off a hundred of your hardest working front line IT workers that were “so essential” 4 weeks ago when we couldn’t work from home.

Highmark Health2020-05-23

"Worst Company to work for"

Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

None that have any value

Cons

No trust between employees and the corporate culture is toxic.

Highmark Health2020-04-24

April 27, 2020Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback as a former Computer Systems Analyst. At Highmark Health, fostering a positive culture and employee experience is important to us. We value your concerns and will be sure to share your feedback internally as it helps us consider how we can improve the employee experience.

8. "Love the job and flexibility"

Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Telework is amazing flexibility balance

Cons

Technology limitations for meetings with over 300 attendees

Highmark Health2020-02-27

March 2, 2020Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad to hear that you enjoy work-life balance! Making sure our employees have a good work/life balance is important to us as an organization. We know everyone has unique interests and hobbies and we want our employees to balance success at work with their passions at home. We appreciate your feedback!

"Get in, get what you need, then get out"

2.0
    Former Employee - Decision Support Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's fairly easy (and common) to move around between departments. It's a good way to get a variety of experience quickly. The pay is good, especially for the area. The people there, for the most part, are good and hard-working.

Cons

Aside from having to live with being a part of the superfluous bureaucracy that makes American Healthcare so unaffordable... All of the technology is a minimum of two years out of date. Enterprise software packages are set in stone at an exceptionally high level, and to get access to much of what you need, you'll be navigating a maze of a Java applet written in the early 00's (only works in IE) to request permissions from nested lists without descriptions, so you'll spend your day hoping you get the correct request form and praying your approver is having a good day. God forbid you need anything specialized, because you will spend months begging for it and many more months waiting for approval. In terms of workload, expect to work plenty of unpaid OT. Night and weekend work is expected. Though I'm sure this can vary by department, I have seen people I know in other departments quite regularly burning the midnight oil right along side of me. If you have an incompetent manager, you can expect to be expected to catch all of the slack that rolls down hill. You can also expect some absurd demands on your time, micro-management, and emotional manipulation. Expect too few bodies for too much work, and expect for people to be angry when things start to fall between the cracks, even after you pull up emails that warned them of impending catastrophic failures months ago. Then be expected to fix it while middle management pulls in 100k+ a year on your back. When you finally leave, expect your former co-workers to tell you how you're being used as a scapegoat for your former manager's incompetence.

Highmark Health2020-02-29

March 2, 2020Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback as a former Decision Support Analyst. We want you to know that we greatly appreciate the contribution and service that our people make here at Highmark Health. It is important that we remain committed to transforming health care in bold ways. We value your concerns and will be sure to share your feedback internally as it helps us consider how we can improve the employee experience.

"No Leaders only Managers with limited skills, Legacy system that needs complete overhaul"

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone below Management is actively working to do the right thing every day. Everyone is friendly and cooperative.

Cons

You can't trust anyone. Trust working together is a core value and no one trusts anyone. If you are not a friend of someone in management or in the political circle then your job is in jeopardy. The system is an old legacy system - mainframe IMS/VSAM mostly converted to DB2 with absolutely no comprehensive documentation. There are hundreds of business rules, some in direct conflict with one another. There are no coding standards that help to improve the ability to maintain the system. Communication among management is a joke. TM might state something in the morning and Director or VP contradicts that exact statement later that same day. It is impossible for the people doing the actual work to understand what is expected. Although the company constantly talks about transformation and change, it is extremely slow going. If you have ideas for change and express those ideas and they differ from your management then you will eventually be laid off. As time went on at Town Halls, fewer and fewer people participate. If you question anything you become a target for a layoff. There is absolutely no strategic plan. There is no ROI on any project. It is mostly a daily firefight. The worst experience of my career.

Highmark Health2020-03-10