Highmark Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 515 reviews

3.1
Highmark Health CEO David L. Holmberg
David L. Holmberg
Pros
  • "Work from home is flexible when you may need to be away from the office(in 38 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is good - we work hard when it's needed and leave on time when we can(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work life balance is almost non existent when Highmark Health Solutions took positions from Highmark Inc(in 41 reviews)

• "No work life balance, unreasonable deadlines(in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Executive Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Positive environment, acknowledged accomplishments, provided information and tools needed to succeed in your responsibilities. Supported furthering education/knowledge either for current position or to further career. Communication between company divisions was growing.

Cons

Responsible for paying for parking.

January 25, 2019Account Director

Thank you so much for your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad that you enjoyed the environment and career growth offered to you during your employment with us. We appreciate your feedback!

2. Good Company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth opportunity Working from home policy

Cons

Micromanagement unexperienced management long hours

Advice to Management

Mix gender leadership. I'm a female however my leadership all female; its good to balance.

February 11, 2019Account Director

Thank you so much for your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad that you enjoy work-life balance and the growth opportunities! We are working on initiatives to break down silos and make our entire organization more proactive. We appreciate your feedback and ...

3. Large company with good benefits

Former Employee - Senior Data Reporting Analyst

I worked at Highmark Health full-time

Pros

This is a large company that still offers full healthcare benefits with reasonable employee cost. Its hard to find an employer, even other insurance company employment that only offers HIGH deductible plans.

Cons

Main offices are in downtown Pittsburgh where parking is limited and over priced for commuters that public transit is not an option.

February 11, 2019Account Director

Thank you so much for your review of Highmark Health! We are so glad that you enjoyed the benefits offered to you during your employment with us. We appreciate your feedback!

If you take a job here, keep looking because you are going to want to leave.

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

The people are great. The people doing the work are hard working and caring people.

Cons

No life/work balance - Management expects employees to VOLUNTEER to do extra work while still doing overtime to keep up with the regular work. The Environment is HIGHLY toxic, and the management is extremely hostile. Any dissention labels the employee as a problem and this will lead to termination. Extremely high turnover rate, which management refuses to take seriously. When questioned, Management responded...

Advice to Management

Value the people who do the work for you. Remove the president of HMHS. He is running the organization into the ground.

January 25, 2019Account Director

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

5. A company that cares deeply about its customers, employees and business partners.

Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Your voice will be heard and you will have a chance to transform healthcare. Everyone, from CEO to frontline, deeply cares about doing what is right for Highmark members.

Cons

You have to be comfortable with change and ambiguity.

January 14, 2019Account Director

It makes our day to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad to hear you're enjoying your role within the organization!

Big Brand But Poor Morale

Current Employee - Applications Developer

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time

Pros

Work from home flexibility (WFH)

Cons

No matter how many years you served the company or what higher or lower positions you were holding, if they decided to send you out, the next moment they treat you like a criminal or with no respect. The next second they will stop you to enter the floor and will collect your access badge, laptop. Even if you have to go inside to get your car keys and hand bag, its a strong nooooooooooooo. The team lead or the available...

Advice to Management

Should follow professional ethics and Performance appraisals should be given based on employee's hard work , smart work and dedication, should not be decided based on one person's (Manager) feedback.

February 5, 2019Account Director

We appreciate your feedback. Know that we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees. Since we take your concerns to heart, please reach out to your HR manager.

Great people at a terrible company

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great location, healthy work environment, great people, perfect work/life balance.

Cons

Poor corporate policies and hypocritical "values". Great company being ruined by very stupid HR department. Ridiculous allocation of resources to the wrong departments, hiring freezes when demand increases. Firing large swathes of people directly before busy season. Telling people they are going to get a job then pulling the rug out from under them. Empty promises.

Advice to Management

HR provides zero value. It's better to eliminate an HR department than it is to eliminate all your best people because of HR.

January 14, 2019Account Director

We appreciate your review and take it seriously. We value all employees and are constantly looking for ways to improve their experience with us. Please contact your manager or HR representative about any concerns you have.

Company and employee morale in tatters

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

There used to be some.

Cons

Constant layoffs, constant off-shoring of work, very low employee morale. Work from home just taken away and blame placed on the employees for lack of quality. Process after process that in most cases contradict each other causing a gridlock in the software development process. Claim to be agile but are as far from agile that you can get. The entire company is now run by Indians. It’s their culture or nothing.

Advice to Management

Leave

• Great for people wanting to make change

Current Employee - Manager, Pharmacy Services

I have been working at Highmark Health for more than 6 years

Pros

Good leadership. Collaborative environment

Cons

Difficult industry with uncertainty

Advice to Management

Improve employee retention by providing more development opportunities

January 14, 2019Account Director

It makes our day to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad to hear you're enjoying the leadership and collaborative environment!

Team manager, IT

Former Employee - Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health for more than 20 years

Pros

The operating systems used are very good.

Cons

The work life balance is almost non existent when Highmark Health Solutions took positions from Highmark Inc.

January 14, 2019Account Director

We appreciate your feedback. Know that we remain committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees. Since we take your concerns to heart, please reach out to your HR manager.

Found 515 reviews