Ketchum 223 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ketchum CEO Rob Flaherty
Rob Flaherty

Pros
  • good work/life balance, interesting clints and challenging tasks (in 8 reviews)

• Great people make a great culture that centers around strong, strategic decision-making for not just our clients but the future of the agency as well (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • the work/life balance of an agency can be stressful at times (in 28 reviews)

• Late nights and long hours is the norm in PR (in 22 reviews)

1. "PM"

I worked at Ketchum full-time

Pros

Great benefits, work schedule, balance

Cons

none that i can think of

2. "Great company, great people"

I have been working at Ketchum full-time

Pros

Creative, nurturing atmosphere with fun people and interesting clients.

Cons

I can't think of anything truly negative.

3. "Standard PR firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top-level clients with lots of opportunities for professional development

Cons

Change happens slowly and you have to be your own advocate. There's little accountability for high-level colleagues who don't pull their weight and take advantage of their subordinates.

5. "Ketchum Los Angeles Review"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Management recognizes hard work. Room to advance. Solid leadership. Name recognition within the industry

Cons

IT department got consolidated and made everything more complicated. Support model went from 1 tech per 60 users to 1 tech per 200. users

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on people. Recognize hard work. Address log hours with flex time or other perks.

6. "Refreshing place to work with kind, smart and collaborative team players"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ketchum stands out as a bright light among the sea of other agencies and their substantial drawbacks. No place is perfect - but the empowering culture, transparency and honesty among senior leadership and opportunities to grow set Ketchum apart.

Cons

I'd love to see stronger integration among practices so that the agency teams are both aware of and can fully tap I to other strengths that core groups provide. Some early-senior and mid-level staff could benefit from coaching on growing their management skills in ways that lessen any demotivation among their peers - this is all part of career growth.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent, encouraging and steadfast advocates for your team members and peers. And, keep leading by example - it works so well!

7. "A wonderful firm"

Pros

collegial atmosphere, strong senior leadership, lots of opportunities to grow, from international assignments, diverse range of clients, terrific mentoring, learning and coaching programs.

Cons

As part of Omnicom, there is a lot of focus on quarterly results, pressure to drive new business, time sheet obsession, little to non-existent incentive/bonus programs

Advice to Management

The executive management team at Ketchum is top-notch and one of the most stable in the business.

8. "Ketchum Culture"

Pros

Engaging, supportive and fun loving culture and environment with senior leadership that is extremely visible. Ketchum truly values their employees and offers a variety of resources to grow talent.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say about my experience thus far at Ketchum.

"You are part of "Accounts" not teams"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Looks great on your resume
    - Big clients
    - Very hierarchical: every year or two, your get promoted to the next level. Clear career path.

Cons

- No office or team culture.
    - No camaraderie and don't expect most people to help/support you. Everyone works for themselves.
    - Very hierarchical: very clear set of tasks, hard to be given more responsibilities.
    - Either very long hours or not enough work. They rarely strike a good balance. Depending on the period, I had way too much on my plate, or I was begging various account managers to give me something to work on.
    - Pressure to be "billable" (difficult to achieve 7.5 hours/day of billable time when you are not given enough work), and bill a lot of hours and at the same time, not be too expensive = extreme productivity pressure. It also prevents any kind of office/team culture because each time you spend 5 minutes chatting with a colleague or going to the restroom is 5 minutes less of you being billable.

Advice to Management

We work hard. Don't put so much pressure on your younger staff in terms of being billable. Allow people to socialize at work, otherwise, you face high burn out and high turn over rates. Allow rotations from departments to departments.

10. "Managing Account Supervisor"

Pros

Client work, growth opportunity and benefits

Cons

Salary and lack of office culture

"Not the best intern experience, though it looks good on a resume"

Pros

-you'll work on solid accounts (big brand names)
    -you'll be tied to a manager who helps you (and mine was great) so there's some mentorship which is nice
    -you can work 40 hours or you can work 60 hours per week - however much you want to put into it, as long as you get your work done.
    -you can choose what time you came in in the morning, so long as you worked a solid 8 hours each day
    -it looks good on a resume and gives you a lot to talk about in full time positions

Cons

-as an intern, a big con is that they DON'T offer full time positions at the end of the summer - you are not guaranteed one (no job stability)
    -bad pay ($12/hour)
    -ignored by the rest of the office after your first day (they tucked us interns in a back room and people didn't really try to integrate us into the office)
    -account executives/etc don't really fully explain things and that can hurt your performance even though its not your fault
    -can be thrown into projects at the last second or can be given projects that don't have enough going on --> often, I didn't have enough work and was super BORED
    -as is the case at most agencies with billable work, you have to log every single hour of your day. because of this, you can never slack off and have to be accountable for every second of your day and have to stick to rigid time budgets for projects.
    -the culture is just ok. the office itself wasn't very nice and compared to other companies the office amenities sucked.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees lower on your totem pole. They are often overworked, ignored and mistreated. Although senior leadership was friendly and approachable, they are often too busy to hear the concerns of those who are so inferior to them in the agency hierarchy.

ALSO - have a more organized and structured internship program. I often felt lost and without guidance and had to too heavily rely on my mentor to help me find work.