Kobie Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Kobie Marketing CEO Bram Hechtkopf
Bram Hechtkopf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • GREAT people (for the most part) (in 6 reviews)

• Most people are nice, and the office space is pretty nice in downtown St (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some disconnection between departments and some transitional "growing pains" (in 7 reviews)

• It is a growing company so there is no shortage of work (not really a con in today's economy) (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company with Good Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great deal of extra perks, but most of them you have to work down town to benefit from. The Skyway Marina call center operates on much stricter guidelines not untypical of all call centers. Fresh free fruit and 15 minute massages are nice;. Great job for someone who is very motivated to succeed and be noticed. You get what you put into it at this company, Good healthcare options. Prices are median for this area. Not just an HSA. You also have access to more expensive plans with lower co-pays. They contribute the same but you get more if you pay more.

Cons

Lower end of salary percentile for this area and industry. Corporate pretty much ignores the call center which is in a different area of town. Two entirely different cultures. Low 401K contributions from management.

Advice to Management

Please stop posting all the fun activities and things to participate in downtown to all employees. Call center employees cannot participate and it is demoralizing.

"Positive outlook"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the new executive team has started to stabilize the organization and have instituted a managed growth approach to the business. Consulting and product development teams have some really sharp people. Recent new hires bring a wealth of experience and maturity. The outlook is bright.

Cons

Less chaos from a work process stand-point but still some areas with ill-defined processes. Shift to Agile methodology has created some role ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus product development efforts on common platform. Instill a culture of personal accountability.

Aug 21, 2017 – Kobie Marketing

Thank you for your feedback! I am so glad to hear your thoughts on our organization and I too think we have some really incredible teammates. We are committed to creating a dynamic and transparent... More

"A monument to compromise"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone mentions the free fruit and location, real trend setters their. Their opinion means very little to me. 20% accurate as usual. I don't care for the fruit or the location, they're irrelevant to my job.

The real pro is you have a management team who will listen if you're passionate about what you have to, understand the business, and are willing to compromise to make it happen.

I.e. Don't think you'll improve your golf swing by two strokes if you won't take advice on how to get there

Cons

Communication can be a struggle at times and usually on a need to know basis. Some cases there's finger pointing and lessons learned. The balance between the two is never ideal and is usually different depending on your department.

Advice to Management

Stay client focused. I don't love my job, I don't hate my job. I'm middle ground and usually wouldn't spend my time writing a review but I see you're missing the voice of the employee who is there, delivers and adapts.

Focusing on crossfit, cornhole, bowling, golf tournaments, Halloween, Christmas parties, fresh fruit, chair massages, and so on and so on... appeal to the minority and has an adverse effect on the worker bee's morale. The approach is wrong and I can prove it mathematically.

Jul 19, 2017 – Kobie Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Over the last three years, I’m sure you’ve seen quite a bit of change and I appreciate your ongoing commitment to Kobie. We are striving to... More

"Moving forward"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on organizing in a more modern, efficient way. A product and technology that is ripe for some really great things. Great HR department, pay is competitive and co-workers are generally very helpful and nice.

Cons

Some disconnection between departments and some transitional "growing pains".

Advice to Management

Work toward more accurate planning. Include said planning in the sales cycle.

"Potential Employees and Clients Beware"

I worked at Kobie Marketing full-time

Pros

The location is the only positive for this company....if that's all you want then go for it.

Cons

This company never fails to amaze me at the level of nonsensical decisions that they make. For the few years I was there I continually saw opportunities where it felt like leadership (I'll address leadership issues further down) had a great opportunity to LISTEN to and UNDERSTAND the concerns employees had...not to mention the clients. Continually over 2 years they made promises to their employees about listening to their issues and wanting to make it better. However, nothing ever really changed....unless you ask the leadership...they think they've implemented all kinds of changes to make it better. I'm sorry but the issues at Kobie run deeper then what Fresh Fruit, Chair massages, and unlimited PTO can fix. Kobie has a true identity issue.

Kobie can't decide what they want to be, and focus the RIGHT resources toward it. Are you a marketing/CX company, are you a consulting company, or are you a technology company (that tries to pass off a bubble gum and paper software as a product) ? Clearly with the recent appointment of the new president you're deciding on putting your eggs in the Marketing/CX side. GOOD, that's probably the one thing you can do well. I can't think of one technology software company that would hire her as a president, unless they plan on NOT being a technology company any more....??? The leadership you've had leading "tech" is a joke, but when you are an interim president or a new president and don't know any better and you listen to your leaders status reports...the world is full of rainbows and unicorns and we're delivering everything and everything is future proof technology that doesn't incur years of technical debt....

If you're still focusing on trying to build a REAL product, based on the MANY chiefs/VP's/Sr. Directors/Directors that you continue to hire and promote, you'll never ever really get there. It's time someone with some real GUTS stands up and calls you out on the lack luster of a software you are trying to sell. Hiring more leaders, who run around the first 6 months of their tenure promising all this change, but eventually realize the crazy circus they've just signed up for, and nothing gets changed, isn't the answer. In the end, the good ole boy network wins and the same crazy decisions keep being made.

The majority of the truly talented people do not last at Kobie. They can't deal with the dictatorship of IT/Product and can't make true change happen that would benefit the greater company. Kobie doesn't really care for and want you to be talented to work there. It's quite obvious if you really start looking. ...If you don't deliver -- you get promoted...A LOT. If you don't know how to manage a project --- you get promoted. If you have never managed or worked in technology before --- you'll do great as a technical manager/director. Long story short - they have no clear reason for promotions, yet give them out like presents to a very select few...meanwhile those that truly are deserving based on delivery and value provided are overlooked. It has become a group of incompetent leaders positioning to build a bigger empire of employees.

To any potential job applicant. Do yourself and your career a favor and look elsewhere. They will sell you on all these lies about the company...it's their job to do that. I watched many well qualified people quit before their first 90 days because they were oversold on what was going on. There were even a few that didn't last more than 2-3 days before they turned in their badge. You will be doing yourself and a career a disservice working here, which when you do decide to leave, will make it harder to really find someone who will hire you. The average tenure there is so low...not because they hire a lot...because no one wants to stay!!

To any potential new client. I hope you're ready for a circus show that leaves you off schedule, over budget, and lacking functionality. Kobie's "product" they show you is either HTML that has been created for your purpose, a test system that isn't even close to the production system build, or functionality that hasn't been tested and isn't used by any other client. I'm truly surprised that Forester actually considers them.... A true enterprise level solution is NOT built like they build and that's why it takes TEAMS to support clients. It's not enterprise ready, so beware!!

Advice to Management

It's time you stop kidding yourself. You continually fail to deliver to your employees and clients. You're unethical and your leadership team is a joke. Leadership roles make up 75% of your company, how do you expect to make any changes? It's time you actually get the smart people that DO the work back in there and empower them to make the changes that are needed. A true leader can create a movement that employees want to be a part of and make change --- THE RIGHT CHANGES....this hasn't happened.

Jul 10, 2017 – Kobie Marketing

Thank you for your review about your personal experience at Kobie. With a combined 40+ years in the enterprise technology and loyalty space, we understand the complexity of running a successful... More

"A place in transition"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting to embrace newer web development technologies such as Web API, .NET Core and Angular

Cons

A ton of legacy code to maintain; minimal unit testing

"Growth creates opportunities...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The challenges that come with growth can be overwhelming to those not willing to embrace them. I worked for a very large company before joining Kobie Marketing, and many years ago it too was in the same growth stage that Kobie Marketing is in now. The associates that embraced the challenges that are part of the growth process went on to have very rewarding careers, and I believe the same situation exists here at Kobie Marketing. I am finding the culture and values here to be exactly what I was looking for when searching for a new employer, and I am excited about being here.

Cons

Finding a place for new associates to sit in some departments can be difficult due to the rapid growth Kobie Marketing is experiencing. However, that is being rectified with additional space being acquired on another floor within the same building.

Advice to Management

Please make sure that when an associate arrives on his/her first day that they have a place to sit with the team that they will be a part of, and a computer with all the software and applications needed to perform their job function. The impressions made during the first few days are so important to a new hire feeling like part of the “family”.

"This is a particularly hostile workplace - please think very carefully before accepting a role"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful downtown location. Free fruit once a week. Free coffee and water. Chair massages every two weeks. A paycheck. Decent benefits.

Cons

Horrible environment. Bullying and angry, argumentative staff from the C-level on down. It's perfectly acceptable here to yell at your coworkers both in and outside of your own department. A staff complement almost completely inept, yet so convinced they all know everything.
    Micromanagement from people outside your own department who should have no say in your operation.
    People disappear--the good, hardworking people who actually have the best interests of the clients in mind---either because they get wise and move on, or because they get fired for standing true to their convictions about how ethical businesses are run.
    Poor business tools.
    This company hands out titles like 'director' and 'senior director' like handing out business cards. Seems like everyone is that level or higher, and then get delusions of grandeur.

Advice to Management

It's all been said before; nothing has changed. Nothing ever will until the company is sold off.

May 22, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I’m sorry to hear about your frustration. If you decide to leave Kobie, I wish you the best of luck in your new role and I hope that you find... More

"It Really Is Growing Pains"

I worked at Kobie Marketing (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people. Interesting clients. Great location. Management seems to care -- but also not always want to hear the truth.

Cons

Kobie is really 2-3 companies in one. That is what I experienced as part of the "growing pains" everyone seems to be complaining about. There is a big vision, and trying to do everything "loyalty" without having some of the basics in place.

Titles and salaries are not aligned with NY, Chicago, DC -- or any major city.

Advice to Management

Decide what kind of company you are and be clear about it -- internally and externally.
    Are you a loyalty technology company? A loyalty marketing company? A loyalty consulting firm? A turn-key loyalty company?

Align your resources and process with the real vision.

"Proud"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time

Pros

A company that cares about its employees, clients and future. We have gone through a lot of change but the time and investments are paying off and there is a renewed optimism. There are many new, very talented people that have joined the company and bring experience and more leadership. I'm proud of all that has been done to adjust to the fast growth and technical expansion. Kobie is building a great culture.

I'm giving a 4 star rating but am sure it will be a 5 before long.

Cons

Some people have had little experience outside of Kobie or working for a growing company so their expectations aren't reasonable. The negative attitudes are going away but some still exist.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.