Kroger Reviews

3.2
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen
3,204 Ratings
Pros
  • "Really flexible schedule and a great group to work with(in 508 reviews)

• "Flexible hours great management benefits(in 449 reviews)

• Cons
  • "very long hours- work life balance(in 373 reviews)

• "Low pay, barely minimum wage for hardworking employees(in 352 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Kroger and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee
      Featured Review

Great place for growth

Sep 16, 2020 - Quality in Layton, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance, great management

Cons

Was short staffed at times

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good

May 5, 2021 - Cashier/Bagger
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good payment Nice employer Clean environment Flexible Decent hours

Cons

Busy Boss didn’t pay attention Dirty store Low expectations Expect you to do other people jobs

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Don’t apply unless you shop there

Jun 7, 2021 - Kroger Starbucks Barista in Conroe, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

COVID benefits include paid time off to quarantine, occasional $100 of Kroger credit and lots of fuel points. Employees get 15% off Kroger brand items (including simple truth, and other kroger brands) and 10% off other items. They also always have a department that needs help so if you want extra hours, it’s not hard to get here.

Cons

Kroger is a dirty company. While the compensation is nice, it’s not near that to HEB or Target. Working here will open your eyes to the major management flaws of this corporation. They will work you hard and long hours and your work may help your paycheck but not earn you anything long term. Starbucks usually has 1-3 people running a smaller version of a freestanding Starbucks but it’s the same amount of work. Be prepared to either get a difficult job, or slack your way through everything. It won’t matter, because they rarely fire people unless you call out a lot or don’t show up regularly.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Literally made me work with food poisoning

Jun 5, 2021 - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly, nothing really good to say. It was a genuinely terrible place to work.

Cons

Pay was always as little as they could get away with so the turnover was constant. Among management it was 66% (this is Kroger in Texas). Two of the five managers I worked with were good people at their core. Two was ok. And one was literally the worst boss I've ever had. Even the good ones were barely receptive to feedback. The worst one didn't find coverage when I was actively vomiting in front of her and left because her shift was over. I ended up leaving an hour early on a closing shift. Somehow with 3 ASMs she still regularly scheduled us to "clopen" so when we were both opening the next day she greeted me with, "So I heard you left early last night." This is the same woman who yelled at me for calling for service on a freezer that wasn't keeping temp a few days before Thanksgiving because we would have to clear a path for the freezer tech. Systemically, they do "lean staffing" so even when everyone actually shows up for their shift, you'll still be short staffed. They do not listen to their employees about how to do anything. They'll find anything they can do to just barely avoid breaking the law or union contract.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee

Typical bad retail job, somewhat better because it's union

Jun 11, 2021 - Retail Associate in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The main pro is that's it's unionized, so you have some recourse for some of the things they'll try on you, and you get some good job protection. You can get away with things without feeling like you're going to be fired on a whim.

Cons

Bad pay, the system they have for raises is terrible, you're more likely to end up just getting the real raise when the union negotiates every few years. Otherwise you're only getting a significant increase after like decades of working. They're frequently understaffed and they will try to squeeze more work out of you, make you work other departments, etc. The management is frustrating, as it usually is in corporate retail stores. Managers aren't there to make sure the needs of the staff are met so much as they are there to experiment with different things in their particular store, that corporate can look at and see if it pleases them.

6. 2.0