Microsoft Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1

18,434 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1174 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 526 reviews)

1. "Electrical engineer at Microsoft main campus"

Pros

Culture
    bonuses
    There is definitely room to grow

Cons

Nothing I can think of

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

"Microsoft is an excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Manager in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, company culture is improving drastically, great benefits for families and individuals, great opportunities for movement and different projects.

Cons

Can be competitive culture, large company brings its on problems of agility and speed, processes can be long and arduous.

Advice to Management

Need more clarity with plans, speed is important and we should be working towards moving faster to compete with other tech companies.

4. "Sr Data Scientist"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Meaningful CEO
    Great Products
    Cash in hand

Cons

Fatter mid management
    No new ideas

5. "Program Management Intern"

Pros

Fun project, lots of networking opportunities, great people

Cons

Not as exciting and fast-moving as other tech companies, at least on my team

"I couldn’t imagine a better company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing salary and benefits, honestly top notch. There may be some competitors who pay more in comparison but most employees with competitors are miserable and dying for a good culture. Culture at Microsoft is amazing and extremely important. Everyone is very collaborative and they want to help you succeed for the most part. The opportunity once you enter Microsoft is honestly endless. You can make about as much money as you can possibly imagine, and do any job you’ve ever really wanted to do. You can also move almost anywhere you want to move. Most roles have a ton of opportunity to work remote, which is my favorite part. I accomplish so much from home, and without the travel time on a daily basis I finish more than I normally would. Work life balance is great and an emphasis- they encourage you to enjoy your time with your family. Ultimately that’s up to you if you can separate the two.

Cons

Lack of training. Even when provided with training events, seems the facilitators or the training material is way over your head at that point in Microsoft. Once you gain a better understanding of your role, that naturally comes with time, you’ll really wish someone would’ve explained everything to you like you were 5 years old from the get go. It seems they try to go level 500 immediately rather than giving overviews, and this goes for a lot of different initiatives throughout the company. Rather than trying to sound extremely smart with 30 slides with 500 words or more per slide, get to the point and speak in simple terms that we will understand and can portray to our customers.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, the transparency is there if you ask for it. But if you are just starting, there are a lot of questions you don’t know to ask. As soon as you ask, a lot will be revealed to you. If you never ask, good luck guessing at what you need to do in order to be a rockstar at your role.

7. "Technology Solutions Professional"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Top-notch benefits. Unbelievable training resources.

Cons

Technology is moving fast and you need to keep up above all things.

8. "Sr. Project Manager"

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Work life balance, travel, bonuses

Cons

I don't have any cons

9. "Sr. Data Scientist"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Great benefits, Manageable work loads, good work life balance

Cons

Old corporate culture and fatter mid management

10. "Great company"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Hard to get promoted within the company

Showing 18,434 of 20,811 reviews