Microsoft Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Satya Nadella
4,826 Ratings

14,582 Employee Reviews

Cons

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Collaboration, Innovation, a great place to work

Cons

Can't think of any cons

3. "Microsoft is great."

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is an emphasis on work-life balance. There is a feeling that everyone on my team wants me to succeed.

Cons

No free food for employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good work.

5. "Microsoft"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inclusive work environment, understand the importance of work-life balance, good benefits and salary.

Cons

Too many reorgs which can suddenly terminate a position. They do provide some assistance with finding another job but once a position is terminated due to reorg, you are basically on your own.

Advice to Management

Show a little more concern about employees that have been around a long time whose positions are suddenly terminated due to reorg and which is no fault of the employee.

6. "Empowerment"

Current Employee - Senior Business Program Manager in Snohomish, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Program Manager in Snohomish, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you can imagine it, you can likely make it happen. If you are a great collaborator and influencer, you can be successful here.

Cons

Lack of strong management capabilities and senior leadership who reinforces poor behaviors by not addressing bad managers. Manager isn't a job unto itself; mid-level managers still have ~90% of their review based in their individual contributions.

Advice to Management

Find a way to let really smart people advance without being people managers and start growing people management capability early in career, before you move someone into a people manager role.

7. "Great company great management great staff"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for development and growth

Cons

Nothing to mention at this time

8. "Sr. Program Manager"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

large organization. good insight into how a large corporation functions.

Cons

scope of impact can be limited by size of organization, compared to smaller company. Had been very tenure based.

9. "Love/Hate"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with in a fun and collaborative environment.

Cons

Too much red tape. Very difficult to get even small projects completed quickly and efficiently.

10. "Developer"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Challenging problems to work on. Good pay and benefits. Great development tools.

Cons

Work life balance is tough to maintain when constantly under pressure of meeting deadlines. At times personal agendas get in the way of doing what's best.

Advice to Management

Walk around and talk to the people in the trenches. They can give you a more realistic view of what is happening in your department or division. Get the people who develop the products more in touch with the customers.

11. "MIcrosoft Review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good salary
    good benefits
    good company to retire at

Cons

no work
    a lot of politics
    old PM who doesn't want to work

Advice to Management

get rid of principal and partner Pms and add more entry level pms

Showing 14,582 of 15,999 reviews