Microsoft Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Satya Nadella
4,867 Ratings

14,600 Employee Reviews

Cons

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Collaboration, Innovation, a great place to work

Cons

Can't think of any cons

3. "Great company."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Leadership, innovation opportunities to grow and develop your career. Holistic 360 degree assessment review process. Team collaboration. Decent pay and pay for performance.

Cons

Base pay I a bit low. Big organization, so you have to be comfortable with scale. Transition to the cloud is going well.

5. "Great place"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Some great opportunities working here

Cons

Politics can be too much

6. "Software Development Engineer II"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits! 401k and matching is simply amazing l love the legal benefits that they offer to all employees m

Cons

Uses Windows laptop primarily y y y y... Open space dev environment can be a con to some folks as well

Advice to Management

Allow people to get MacBooks!!!

7. "Great place to work and grow!"

Pros

MICROSOFT is the place to be when looking at who is leading the industry digital transformation. Technical thought leadership .

Cons

With the push to an era of digital transformation, and significant investments in MICROSOFT Cloud, comes aggressive growth targets and expectations.

Advice to Management

Continued focus on customer

8. "SDE Intern"

Pros

Open environment and nice mentor

Cons

Not much work to do every day

9. "Great company, challenging politics"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Scale and scope of business provides a rewarding experience, individual impact and immense career opportunities over most other companies

Cons

Internal leadership politics, challenging engineering constraints and lack of cross divisional alignment makes it incredibly difficult to produce high quality products.

Advice to Management

Remove the layers of management. Provide more accountability and trust in IC's.

10. "Keeps getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has clarity in strategic direction, culture and ambitions. Very positive under Satya's leadership

Cons

Changing a culture at a company this size is turning the titanic - it will take time

Advice to Management

Remember you are often more in the know than the average employee - take the time to bring your teams up to speed.

11. "Microsoft is great."

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is an emphasis on work-life balance. There is a feeling that everyone on my team wants me to succeed.

Cons

No free food for employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good work.

Showing 14,600 of 16,022 reviews