Microsoft Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1

18,289 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1166 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 526 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Great benefits and location

Cons

I can't think of any cons

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

"Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible career growth paths, you control your destiny, meaningful work, great work-life balance

Cons

Very functional orgs which discourages taking an end to end perspective on the business and the company

Advice to Management

Proactively help top talent find new roles and not get stagnant in the same team or business (even if they are getting promoted regularly). It'll benefit the company through cross pollination and benefit the individuals through the new experiences they'll gain.

4. "Research Intern"

Pros

Lots of good resources, talented peers and happy events.

Cons

It might be important to choose the group. The food is okay but many employers would choose to eat outside.

5. "Growth Mindset"

Current Employee - Technology Solutions Professional in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technology Solutions Professional in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a place to exercise your growth mindset. The company values diversity in all senses, including thinking. Management embraces failures and victories at balance as everything is an opportunity to learn. If you have the grit to continuously improve yourself and your career, this is the place for you. If you have a fixed mindset maybe not.

Cons

Lake most large organizations, it is difficult to navigate and know who is who.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. So far you have all my trust.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Work-life balance
    2. Talented co-workers
    3. Company in the right direction

Cons

None I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transition from Windows OS + Office to Azure. This will keep the company thriving for many years coming. Also, use Surface as a good starting point for growing consumer business.

"Working at Microsoft as a software developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional and highly skilled colleagues and a really good work climate

Cons

No cons really as you have to work a lot and then you get much out of it else work for a less ambitious company

8. "Intern at Microsoft"

Pros

Incredible work experience, innovative and warming culture. Great place to intern

Cons

Nothing is to complain about I loved it

9. "Love the company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of great projects to work on, great life-balance, especially compared to the competition, perks and prestige galore.

Cons

Only true geeks can really love the place - not really a con for me. Also it hasn't grown much in a decade so opportunities for promotions are really rather limited. Young ones and diversity candidates are definitely favored there - but regardless even if you are young and "diverse" and you really want to get to the top you will have a much better chance at a smaller fast growing company.

Advice to Management

It is a golden age in tech - now is the time to take those risks. It won't always be this way.

10. "Sr. Director, Business Strategy"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Business Strategy in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Business Strategy in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and Work Flexibility on how to accomplish goals

Cons

Career Path for bigger Jobs.

Showing 18,289 of 20,627 reviews