Microsoft Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Satya Nadella
4,826 Ratings

14,575 Employee Reviews

Cons

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Collaboration, Innovation, a great place to work

Cons

Can't think of any cons

3. "Microsoft"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inclusive work environment, understand the importance of work-life balance, good benefits and salary.

Cons

Too many reorgs which can suddenly terminate a position. They do provide some assistance with finding another job but once a position is terminated due to reorg, you are basically on your own.

Advice to Management

Show a little more concern about employees that have been around a long time whose positions are suddenly terminated due to reorg and which is no fault of the employee.

5. "Great company great management great staff"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for development and growth

Cons

Nothing to mention at this time

6. "A Great Company that can be greater if......."

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits

Work-Life Balance: They stick to this promise as much as possible, even still making the attempt when business causes the request for increased flexibility from the employee during busier times.

Learning And Career Development Opportunities: Many areas of the business that allow for increased knowledge of how the technology business works and help with career development when time makes it available.

Opportunity to see and work with the latest and greatest technologies out there.

Alot of networking face-time with industry partners both big and small.

Cons

When it comes to career advancement, sad to say the stack system is still ever so apparent. Alot of times, advancement either becomes a who you know or cultural bias. Alot of people do not want to say it, but trust me, it is there.

Sometimes, as said above, this can lead to a career development stall with your reporting supervisor. In some areas, there is hidden favoritism being played with groups of staff.

Advice to Management

No matter race, gender or who that particular staff member is "buddy buddy" with, great talent (or rising stars if you will), is exactly that, great talent. Develop them to be an even better asset to the business, and give them the same opportunity to advance and grow as everyone else, making an even playing field. This is something that plagues the industry as a whole, so don't be part of the whole, be different and set the company apart from the rest.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Smart people hard problems and good benefits

Cons

Too much bureaucracy stopping innovation

8. "MS Review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cool problems to solve. New buildings are a nice env to work in.

Cons

A lot of top talent has left the company

9. "Sr. Program Manager"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

large organization. good insight into how a large corporation functions.

Cons

scope of impact can be limited by size of organization, compared to smaller company. Had been very tenure based.

10. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If in the right group, lots of cutting-edge possibilities.

Cons

Overly political and in some areas lacking real innovation.

Advice to Management

Manage with conviction, have a real vision vs. chasing tail lights.

11. "Love/Hate"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with in a fun and collaborative environment.

Cons

Too much red tape. Very difficult to get even small projects completed quickly and efficiently.

Showing 14,575 of 15,992 reviews