Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

6,506 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Flew out to Seattle, stayed at a nice hotel, was picked up and taken to MSFT HQ. Fed a tasty breakfast with hot coffee. Went through 4 back to back interviews:
    * coding problem -- outline a function for testing whether a string is a palindrome
    * behavioral interview
    * design a competitor to Google Nest
    * estimate how many tennis balls would fit in a submarine

All the interviewers were exceptionally friendly, the end-to-end process was smooth and simple, and they expedited results the next day!

Interview Questions

• Estimate how many tennis balls would fit in a submarine   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview. The interviewer asked some basic list reversal questions, didn't even look up at the board for my answers. Spent the whole interview checking email. Felt like he thought he had better things to do.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process lasted 4 months. I had 4 phone interviews and an in person all day interview with 4 people in their Seattle office. I was asked typical interview questions in all occasions. After this process, I wished the interview phase was quite shorter and more communication to the candidate

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview, which was very smooth. Asked 2 coding questions on a sheet of paper and was given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Then flown out to do an on-site interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Was invited for a coding test for a Bing hiring event. Passed that and was invited to fly to Seattle for an onsite.
    I cannot even begin to explain the pathetic nature of the interviews. 16 candidates are brought in from all over and given rooms, and the interviewers go around interviewing each one of them.
    I had a horrible experience with the first interviewer. He was laughing in a mocking way when I was on the wrong track for a particular question. He cut me off in the middle when I was giving the answers and when I was on the wrong track for a question and when said oh I could have done it that way, he said not you could have .. u should have... you can't work in Microsoft if you can't come up with solutions. And when his phone rang loudly in the middle of the interview, he didn't even bother to apologize and let it ring for sometime. He also wished me and said "I hope your other interviews go better than this one" ;)
    The 4th interviewer seemed super dis-interested too. He kept chatting with someone while I was whiteboarding.
    The entire experience was really off for me, I cannot imagine Microsoft allows such unprofessional interviewers to interview candidates who have flown many miles to come attend their interviews.

Will definitely never interview with Microsoft ever again.

Solution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Lengthy interview process including a final's day when several interviews take place. Many questions around team selling process, managing conflict with peers and other situational questions. Interview also included a role play of a meeting with a CIO.

Research Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

First, one of the team members called me on the phone and we had a short chat about what the role requires and my resume. Then I had a standard phone call with an HR person who set up the technical phone interview as the next step. After this step, I got invited to go onsite. After five rounds of interview we called it a day, and within a week I received an offer.

Finance Manager Interview

Interview

First a phone call with a recruiter and then on-site interviews with 4-5 people on the same day, one hour each. The last round was usually with the highest level interviewer, but schedule may vary.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I was flown to Seattle/Redmond (from Europe) for a few days. The interview took almost a full day, and I got to speak with around 5 teams. Each team asked a variety of questions and reviewed my portfolio and a presentation I had prepared. It was very interesting.

Interview Questions

• Design problem: How might you solve or improve this situation?
      There are various scenarios/problems.
      1 Answer