Mutual Mobile Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Tarun Nimmagadda and Mickey Ristroph

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is the most key thing (in 8 reviews)

• Office space is beautiful and centrally located (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of our best people have left and more are currently job hunting (in 3 reviews)

• As someone else said, there are some office politics but that's pretty typical (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company Rebuilding"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Work Culture, Competitive Benefits, Strong Fortune 500 Clients

Cons

Quick turn around on some projects, recent turnover in staff, some general conflict between team managers and senior business directors.

Advice to Management

Reward teams that deliver under budget and exceed client expectations, keep doing what you are already doing.

"In a downward spiral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are still some really smart, passionate people. Office space is beautiful and centrally located.

Cons

The CEOs inherited the company once the other co-founders left and have since floundered to lead. They are nice, smart people, but they are not executive level leaders. The greatest gift they could give to the company would be to step down and let a real executive, ie probably an MBA and possibly even someone with some gray hairs, take over and steer the ship. The plan for the last couple years has been "no plan in the plan." Every quarter there seems to be a new business idea and there is no follow through at the top. Some of our best people have left and more are currently job hunting. Pay is below market but the exciting project work used to make it worth it-- lately it has been increasingly boring work though.

Advice to Management

Do right by the company and step down. You are bright, passionate engineers, and would surely make great CTOs somewhere. Unfortunately you are both very poor business people and your inability to recognize this and act on it is making the house fall down around us.

3. "Good company, good culture"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture was work hard, play hard. Lots of beer, parties and work.

Cons

Revenue was unpredictable which led to layoffs

4. "Some of the best experience I've ever had"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing experience. I worked on so many different products and in so many industries. They practice agile/SCRUM better than any company I have worked for.

Cons

It's possible to get stuck on boring projects, but that wasn't a huge problem for me. It was very difficult to shift into other positions/departments.

Advice to Management

I don't have much feedback here. I loved all my direct managers, I always felt that they had my interests at heart. I always trusted the founder's and their vision but I don't think Tarun liked me very much :-(

"Sinking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some smart people, but most of the good ones are gone or about to leave

Cons

horrible leaders, male dominated environment, total lack of focus and mission

Advice to Management

turnover leadership to people with leadership abilities

"Going downhill"

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time

Pros

There are some talented people. The kitchen is stocked with decent snacks. The office location is premium. However, the sitting arrangement sucks and the desks are horrible.

Cons

The company doesn't have any direction under the new management. The few people who cared and had vision left long back. It feels like a dorm with `bro culture`. So, you will see some employees who don't deserve where they are. Typically, the show is run by few talented once.
    Also, the regular employees are undervalued with no sense of respect and security.

Advice to Management

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Been there, done that, got that Mutual Mobile T-shit."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful, collaborative, urban office smack dab in the middle of downtown Austin. Gorgeous view of the city, and work alongside extremely talented people.
    -fully stocked kitchen
    -fun relaxed environment
    -great workspace/desk setup
    -awesome clients
    -delivers phenomenal work for clients

Cons

There is a pattern of lay-offs every other year when the company is not doing well.
    Instead of fixing the problem, they just do lay-offs and try to keep people in high positions happy.
    Its a never ending cycle,
    Has a hard time keeping clients, and maintaining relationships with clients.
    Sales people need to be more proactive, eager, aggressive, and continue to keep looking for new business even if the company is in a great position.

Advice to Management

Hire a new Sale/New Business development team.
    CEO's tend to make immature decisions from time to time.
    Dig deep, spend money, do research, create accountability for leadership, and figure out what the problem is and fix it, rather than having to do layoffs every year.

"A shadow of its former past"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that are left at the company are great to work with. Well stocked kitchen with drinks and snacks. Nice location/office space. Good happy hours (when they happen). Compensation is on/near industry standard. Benefits are pretty decent as well. Work/life balance is pretty well respected, you work 40 hours and get out.

Cons

Like many agencies, the work is hit or miss in terms of quality. The leadership in the company generally leaves something to be desired. There is a lot of talk about doing the right things, but poor execution. Poor communication from management. Teams are not kept together from project to project. Little visibility into the future of projects or the company. A lot of code is re-written over and over due to lack of ownership of that code. Culture and collaboration at the company is basically non-existent outside of a few small groups, nothing unites the company together. Little to no motivation to work on much outside of project work. The company has a hard time retaining talent.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be replaced with people willing to get the job done and negotiate favorable contracts.

"Circling the drain"

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Plenty of good, talented people to work with (but not for long).

Cons

- Below-average salaries for Austin
    - Lots of office politics
    - Your work will be unappreciated and undervalued

Advice to Management

Hand the keys to someone else and take a nice long trip.

"QA"

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile (Less than a year)

Pros

tested on mobile, which was new

Cons

micromanagement, bad business model, MINIMUM expected work hours per week is 40 (and "just" 40 hrs is frowned upon) for salaried employees, expectation that you pick up extra "volunteer" projects that are outside the 40hrs

Advice to Management

don't micromanage down to the minute, don't hire people just because you get a new project & then lay them off when the project is done