Plex Systems, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Plex Systems, Inc. CEO Don Clarke
Don Clarke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Plex knows how to encourage a positive work environment" (in 13 reviews)

• "They offer free snacks, a pinfarnia coke machine to customize your pop and a coffee vending machine that has Starbuck coffee on the 15th floor" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Plex is going through some growing pains" (in 10 reviews)

• "Organization is becoming top heavy with too many ex-Oracle types with overblown egos" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Believe the facts by Towers Watson employee survey results"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plex relies on an annual internal survey of our employees administered by a 3rd party professional who has expertise in employee surveys, Towers Watson. We’ve been doing this every year for more than 10 years. It is statistically meaningful and compares us to a huge database of comparables to help provide critical insight. We use this to measure our employee engagement and identify areas where we need to focus. And the most recent survey shows our engagement is in the top decile, comparable to their best companies according to Towers Watson and our category scores are all in the top performer bracket. We are very customer focused with many happy customers.

Cons

Many consecutive years of ~30% YOY growth can cause growing pains.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO soon. Plex is VERY selective in our hiring process (for ALL positions). This results in an extended hiring process. As a result, the Plex organization is loaded with very strong talent. While our organization has not had any major impact from this opening, our prospects and customers are wondering why he haven't hired a new CEO.

2. "Couldn't Imagine Myself Anywhere Else"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

I sincerely love working at Plex. There is a ton of room for growth if you are an upwardly mobile individual with a strong work ethic. It is a fast-paced environment and has a very unique culture with excellent employee benefits. Plexians (the term used for Plex employees) like to work hard and know how to have a good time.

Cons

It's very difficult for me to think of the downside(s) of working at Plex. If you are the type of individual that doesn't thrive in a fast-paced environment, Plex may not be a fit for you.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparency that you provide all employees from top to bottom. As we continue to grow, we need to ensure that we continue to maintain and cultivate a culture we are so proud of.

3. "Outstanding employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment is top notch with Plex engaging employees in numerous ways; departments work together well by sharing and drawing in input from each other; leadership (particularly the CEO) could not be better suited for this dynamic company by offering a wealth of experience and knowledge; benefits are exceptional and most appreciated; company has a very bright future

Cons

No cons come to mind.

"Innovative engineering, consistent release cadence, great benefits - Plex has (finally) arrived"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Plex for almost five years now. In the last six months, I can confidently say that Plex is (finally) hitting its stride and is performing at a very high level - we punch above our weight and will be making waves in the ERP space against much larger competitors. Why am I so confident of this? A few things -

1) We now have a regular release cadence of monthly deployments that are detailed (both the functional change and the corresponding engineering ticket) and publish this information in the customer community forum every month.

2) We have a quarterly roadmap that we've published/delivered for a year now.

3) We're making long-term engineering investments in the platform/APIs that will build the foundation of Plex will be in the future - manufacturing software as a service.

I'm very impressed with how Don/Richard have performed in their leadership roles. I was skeptical at first, but I can't argue with the results of how far the product development process has come in a year. The reorganization of the development and data center group ended up being the right call - kudos.

PS - I had a very nice time at the company party at Greenfield Village this summer. That was a very thoughtful choice for a company party, and colleagues in my working group noted this as well. This is kind of corny, but it's the little things like this that make Plex a fun place to work. Somebody actually does care that employees are having a good time. Thank you.

Cons

The jokes at the quarterly meetings from the SLT team are a bit cringey.

Advice to Management

1) Keep benefits competitive - talent is the most important resource within Plex. We're now the largest independent (not owned by a Fortune 100 company / Duo Security was recently purchased by Cisco) software company in Michigan. We have the opportunity to pick up some fantastic talent as we continue to grow. Maintain employee autonomy / work from home benefits (provided your manager deems you're capable/responsible to WFH), fun company events, social mixers on the last Thursday of every month, etc. This is what makes Plex a comfortable place to work- it allows its managers to give autonomy to employees that have proven themselves.

2) We will need to start hiring develop advocates for the APIs that we're building to help our partners/customers that will be consumers of our API. We're going to have a pretty big challenge in front of us for this. I think this is a bit outside the domain of GSS/Tech Services to assist customers with using the APIs. Look at how Microsoft positions its developer advocates (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/advocates/index.html) - granted Microsoft is a eight hundred billion dollar company by market cap, but this is the largest opportunity ($) that Plex has in front of it - we only have so many development hours in a week/month/quarter. Becoming a manufacturing as a service company means opening up development to our partners/customers. There's a big learning curve with this though, and we need to assist them on this journey.

3) I really think Plex has the opportunity to become something very, very special. Let's continue the momentum.

5. "Great company"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. part-time

Pros

Good pay and great benefits

Cons

Some of the higher ups

"Old Boys Club"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company as a whole is great. The high level changes that are being made are necessary and a long time in coming. The company benefits and perks are better than I've seen at other companies

Cons

Some of the the older departments have a deep "old boys club" mentality where friends are promoted over qualified individuals. Several talented individuals have recently left the company because of this.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to what is happening in the lower ranks. When you start losing quality people at a surprising rate, there is usually a problem that needs to be fixed.

"It is not all what it is cracked up to be."

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

The work attire is very casual. In the summer, shorts are allowed.

There are some really nice people who work there in various departments.

They offer a good set of paid holidays and responsible pto.

Insurance offering is United Healthcare which is ok.

They have a generous wellness credit each year but you will have to pay taxes on that.

They offer free snacks, a pinfarnia coke machine to customize your pop and a coffee vending machine that has Starbuck coffee on the 15th floor.

The 15th floor also has a couple of pool tables, ping pong tables, a bubble top hockey table and a golf simulator.

Each year they have 2 company outings: a holiday party (which was at Punch Bowl Social) and a family outing (which was at the Detroit Zoo).

Cons

You must conform to their standards. No exceptions.

They don’t know what they are doing half of the time. Many projects experience scope creep and the people at the bottom are blamed for not completing the project on time.

Some of the immediate managers do not follow HR protocol. For example, there is supposed to be a mid-year review which rarely happens.

When you are first hired, they mention that you should 40 hours work week. However after the honeymoon (the first few months), you are expected to work much more than that per week.

Some of the immediate, middle and senior management have been there for many years and it seems that they are part of the good ol’ boys club. If you are not part of the club, you could be extricated which could lead to you being terminated even tough you are a talented, hard working employee.

They is a constant clash between the old guard and the new guard which the old guard usually persists.

Not much diversity. In some departments, there is a small percentage of women working compared to men. Moreover, women are scarce in management positions.

Additionally across the company, there is very little diversity in their employee makeup.

They talk about opportunities but there is very little. This is due to the low turnover of people at the top who have been there for 10+ years.

When someone is let go for various reasons, they do not offer severance of any kind regardless of you being there for a year or 15 years.

Many people have offices with a glass wall with a sliding door. (In a way, it resembles a jail cell) Because of these offices, there is very little collaboration and when you need to communicate, the primary means is instant messaging or email.

No consistent leadership. They been without a permanent CEO since October 2017.

Room for very little innovation.

They think they are much bigger than they are.

They do these employee surveys with skewed questions so that they can pat themselves on the back.

Top heavy on directors and senior managers.

Advice to Management

Do a reality check. You are not SAP or Oracle.

If you wish to grow, you will need to remove many key players making the decisions.

Make sure that all of your managers follow through on HR policies.

Instead of doing a survey, have meaningful discussions with those at the bottom.

Allow subordinates to review their managers and give it a proper weight to keep the good ol’ boys in check.

More diversity.

Treat those who have been let go with more understanding by offering a severance package.

Have a clear direction on what you are and what you want to be.

Clearly define projects and when scope creep does happen, place the blame on the appropriate individuals.

"Be careful when you drink their Kool Aid"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work there are nice.

They have some nice perks like a nice break room filled with snacks, a pop machine and Starbucks coffee. Also on 2 Wednesday’s each month, they bring in salads for lunch. They have a nice holiday party each year and offer responsible time off.

Cons

Even though they think they have a good culture, it is very “clicky”. Many immediate supervisors and their directors are part of the “clicky” movement thus making it difficult to get a good review if you don’t play their politics.

Additionally, they have the following philosophy about software: don’t do it the wrong way, don’t do it the right way, do it the Plex way which is a combination of the wrong and right way.

Because they have cells (offices with sliding doors), many people sit in their own silo and use instant messaging to communicate with each other making it difficult to get answers.

Another item, their internal documentation is almost non existent.

Moreover, they claim to have a mid year review which doesn’t happen so you never know what your supervisor thinks of your work until the annual review and you get denied a merit increase.

Lastly, they make the claim that there is opportunity to learn and advance. Sadly, that is far from the truth since those in the more advanced positions have been working there for many years.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I don’t any since they think that they people at the bottom do not know anything.

"Lack of Leadership and Direction"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and there is potential for Plex to be a great company.

Cons

The company needs to decide what "exactly" it wants to be. There is a distinct push and pull between the old guard (those who have been with Plex for more than 5 years) and the new guard. Also, after the current CEO was let go there is a big gap in leadership at the company.

Advice to Management

The company needs to not only invest in Product Development but ALSO marketing and sales to grow. Seems lately the company has cut way back on marketing and sales and that may end up coming back to bite the company over the next few years.

"Dramatic Employee Turn Over"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice company culture until you get sacked. The company has a habit of over hiring and then firing.

Cons

The company is constantly trying to grow the business into industries which they are not matured in enough to pursue. You as a hire are basically part of an experiment. Company is constantly forcing employees to say it's a great place to work so they get good ratings, etc. It's a relatively nice place to work until you get sacked with no severance, etc.

Advice to Management

Don't run an experiment with other peoples careers.