Plex Systems, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Plex Systems, Inc. CEO Jason Blessing
Jason Blessing

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance was really above industry standard (in 8 reviews)

• Plex knows how to encourage a positive work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Plex is going through some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• New management is not looking out for ALL employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Dedicated to their Employees"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

I have been at Plex for a few years now and I am still as excited about working for Plex as I was the day I started. Yes Plex is experiencing growing pains, yes some mistakes have been made. However, I have never seen a corporate team so determined to find and fix the issues that are affecting the employees. Plex is continuously implementing and improving programs to improve employee satisfaction, a topic taken quite literally.

I usually don't review a company while I'm still work there but when I see some of the incorrect statements and outright lies coming in some of these reviews from employees that have been terminated, I felt I had to get my opinion out there.

Cons

If you ask me, the biggest drain on the company right now is the attitude of many of the "old guard" that have been around since Plex was a small fledgling company. Yes when the company was smaller all employees had a say in more decisions and sure the culture was more relaxed. What they need to understand though, is that even though Plex has grown considerably and even if some of the "culture" has changed it is still so much better than a lot of companies out there.

When the free candy, snacks and lunch items were moved from the individual floors to the 15th floor, there was a big uproar about culture change. Having come from a company that merely supplied coffee to the employees, I'm happy to go up a few flights to get my free chips and candy bar. Oh yeah and maybe play a game of pool or air hockey while I'm there.

Compared to all of the companies I have work for in the past, Plex is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you are on. Your dedication to your employee satisfaction is admirable.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Plex there is a real sense of working together towards company goals.

Cons

Low rise cubicles on some floors allow for way too many interruptions/distractions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Plex is not what I thought it would be"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a job and there are some really fun people to work with for however much longer I stay here. They give us free snacks and I do not have to work very hard.

Cons

The whole company is in a funk. The people on my team are so discouraged, especially the people that have been here the longest. Management never seems to be telling the truth. Everything feels spun to the point that nothing is really believable. I am living in a sad TV commercial. Promotions go to the best fact spinners and I am not good at deception. I am not comfortable sharing my ideas for what we could try to do better because I hear of other people getting talked down to for doing that.

I thought Plex was an open culture software company when I joined. I am disappointed after being here for this long that this is not so great of a place to work. I will miss seeing the friends I have made here, but need to make myself find a new job. I don't see things getting better here very soon and life is too short.

Advice to Management

I wish I could have done more to help you. I don't think you wanted my help though so that's my advice. I think you should open your arms and embrace the people trying to help you. I know it's uncomfortable because it means you are admitting that you couldn't do it all by yourself. You need to do this though because people are not really that happy here anymore and you are losing a lot of talent.

"Without Leadership, Plex Wanders the Corporate Wilderness"

Current Employee - Director in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Employees are hungry for success. Plex still has many loyal customers.

Cons

Work life balance is good because Plex's leaders pay attention to absolutely nothing beyond their flawed strategies and execution thereof. Plex's leaders lost their employee following long ago and fail to see it through their one dimensional lens.

Employees are hungry for success because Plex's leaders have so starved them of it. Despite millions upon millions of invested dollars gifted to them, Plex's leaders prove only that they are incapable of bringing success to Plex Systems.

Plex still has many loyal customers because Plex's leaders can only scare them off so fast. The trend is noticeable. Attempts to offset this by Plex's leaders fail to exist.

Advice to Management

Once you move beyond the understandably unsettling reality that you alone are preventing our growth, only then Plex will once again be on the path to Manufacturing ERP greatness.

"Improvement in the last six months, but still a long way to go"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- At the beginning of the year, things were...not so fun at Plex. The product redesign was late, the workload was increasing, promised headcount additions weren't coming through, and moral was low.

- As Winter turned to Spring, something very refreshing came out of the company meeting that changed my perspective of Plex - honesty. Revenue targets were lowered. Our Board of Directors finally understood that the growth they modeled in Excel wasn't going to happen by hiring n+1 salespeople. I feel bad for those that were let go, but I sometimes wonder if those requisitions ever should have existed in the first place. The truth is that the product wasn't ready for the kind of customers they thought they were going to sell to. That doesn't mean the product isn't robust, it just means that we need to spend a bit more on adding features/polish to compete against our larger competition. And that's OK!

- Spring brought investments in tooling and process workflow that finally started to show some results. If you're not measuring your performance, you're just guessing. Internal quality metrics were published, which was fantastic to see. Data doesn't lie. I'm glad Plex made investments in this area, it was very much needed.

- While Summer at Plex has been busy, we’re finally getting the headcount in certain areas that we were promised at the beginning of year.

- Hackathons are coming! Yes! This is an extremely important recruiting tool - continual self improvement/creativity should be a core tenant of Plex culture.

- We made a strategic acquisition that seems to be a good fit. Time will tell.

- Healthy snacks! Thanks for the additional weekly fruit from Nino's : )

Cons

- Still quite a bit of politics. Let’s talk about the elephant in the room – key management positions are not held by people with global manufacturing experience. If you want to grow the product into something that punches above its weight, you need people from Fortune 500 manufacturing companies that have extensive manufacturing/supply chain experience. We’re presently clueless about how to grow the product – we ask our Top 10 (by their subscription revenue) customers what they want to see built. What?! Just because they want something developed doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right strategic investment for Plex. The fact we’re guessing on what to build next is scary to me. We need talent from Intel/GM/Ford/GE/Dell or consultants from PwC/Ernst & Young/ Deloitte/ KPMG, who have worked on large global manufacturing projects and know what large customers are looking for, directing product development. The current product management decisions do not inspire confidence.

Advice to Management

- Keep the administrative & sales vs. product development & support ratio in balance. Let the product sell itself; ultimately the market will discover the true value of what you're offering. It always does.

- I understand the desire to attract talent outside of Detroit, but the number of key personnel/managers working remotely outside of Troy is still too large. How can these people make any sort of meaningful impact on the product without actually working face to face with the people that are building/using it on a day to day basis? Again, be honest with yourself - you need to be here to shape product design. We need people that are passionate about Plex's success - if you aren't at Tower building the product or influencing how it should be built, you are a B/C player in it for the compensation. A-level players are passionate about their work because it's an extension of who they are. If these out of state people you hired are so talented, help ($) relocate them to Troy. Either go all the way with the investment or hire local - this half way stuff isn't good for Plex or the remote hire. And look, I get that we live in a world where Skype for Business/Webex/Zoom is just a tap away on our iPhone - that still _does not_ replace being at Tower, down on the engineering/implementation/support floors. True leaders lead the charge with the troops, and are down in the foxhole from time to time; they don’t issue edicts from the Boardroom.

- Since I’m assuming the Board is financially astute, I very much hope you’re following the peculiar movements of US equity markets – it seems the market is levitating upward based on earnings misses (Macy’s / Berkshire Hatahaway) that beat expectations. This sort of 1999 craziness is usually followed by a harsh recession. The Fed has propped up asset prices to an untenable level, and things will be correcting soon (although markets can stay irrational longer than shorts can stay liquid). I’m glad we’re looking to break even financially by the end of the year. Please keep a healthy cash position in 2017 so Plex can weather the storm. Winter is coming.

- Be honest with yourself, the product, the employees, and the customers. Eventually, the truth always reveals itself.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Plex Systems, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Plex strives for employee satisfaction. They actually do review and base their company goals on the annual employee company survey. They have succeeded in attaining a number of their goals.

Cons

While they do continue to improve employee satisfaction, they have also experienced a high number of lay offs this year. I've seen a several long-time Plex employees (who were not part of the lay off) move on and join competitors.

"Leadership team is lost"

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent talent and experienced individuals. A good history. Extremely loyal customers. Great upside potential. A product positioned to serve an underserved market. Good work life balance.

Cons

A selection of the more recent reviews make it painfully obvious that Plex's executive management have organized in an attempt to shift the averages in their favor. If only they would organize to lead the company.

Their planted reviews are correct on one point: There is great transparency. Problem is, it is to what they want their board members to think. Several Plex executives are hearing only what they want to hear. Customer opinion has become nothing more than a burdening noise. Employees have become wary of the management blacklist and gone silent. Plex is shedding talent. Glassdoor is one remaining avenue of hope. Is anyone with the power listening? You need to shake up the executive leadership team. Shake it up now.

Development and services would be a great place to start. Take a look a product management while you are at it. For several consecutive quarters, leadership calmly scapegoats the global macro economy as the primary reason for their recent strategic contraction, which included rounds of layoffs. A convenient smokescreen. To anyone paying close attention: No. Sorry. Incorrect answer. The real culprits: First, an undeniable inability to execute against a software development strategy. This is evident by the virtual flatline in Plex's introduction of new or improved ERP capabilities for multiple years and counting. The harsh reality is that in one corner, we have people in power positions that know nothing of how to even begin to go about enterprise caliber software development. In the other corner are seasoned experts with no voice or motivation to take the risk of stepping up where help is needed. To make it all the more interesting are the smaller handful of smooth talking executives able to dance their way out of any corner whenever their boss sets foot in the room. This situation is a complete mess.

Second, leadership are focused on the finances. Full stop. CFO is king. If the books look good, then we are good, right? From horrific rollouts of even more horrific incentive pay plans, to a mass talent exodus that is a balanced blend of the voluntary and forced, you are going about it all wrong. Sure, when talent leaves it at first looks mighty good on your paper reports when all your paper tells you is YOY revenues and expenses. For once, please look up from your corporate accounting textbook long enough to recognize that you are wasting away a diamond in the rough opportunity in this company.

Advice to Management

Plex's executives are either hiding from the problems or they are unqualified to address them. Either way, they offer no solution. Change to this team is needed. Plex has great potential. Its current executive team does not. Board, are you listening?

"Still a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

I consider it a privilege to work alongside some of the most dedicated, passionated, intelligent, and friendly people I've ever worked with. The power of Plex is it's people, and that is something that has been consistent ever since I have worked here.

The work is challenging. There is much to do, and there is freedom to carve out your own solutions to problems.

The culture is great. Plex takes care of its employees. Solid benefits and bonus plan, and progressive policies, such as setting your own working hours, no strict vacation or time-off rules, and great working conditions.

Cons

Plex is going through some growing pains. Management has made a few course alterations this year, and that has been tough on the employee base. It is true that some employees were let go as a result, though I believe it was a long time coming for some of them (Plex's pro-employee culture often has the side effect of a reluctance to let people go when it is obviously time).

Some of the bureaucracy that you see in bigger companies is starting to creep in. I also see some politics between the departments, as they grow and are each trying to hit their targets and goals.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Continue listening to the employees, but don't get overly down by the naysayers. The CEO is great, but he needs to be a bit more visible.

I appreciate your continued and regular efforts to communicate to the employee base. It is appreciated. But I still get the occasional feeling you are spinning news when it is bad. Please don't do this. Give it to us like it is. We can handle it, trust me.

"Scarcity is the new norm"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

> Benefits are, in general, excellent.
    > Free snacks (although the pickings have gotten far more slim).
    > Great people (for the most part) to work with.
    > Average pay
    > CEO has started to adopt Plex's transparent culture very recently, avoiding corporate jargon and favoring directness.

Cons

> With poor sales, budgets have been cut, and it's felt throughout the day to day operations. Team lunches are far more rare, tools to do your job have to be fought for, etc.
    > Mass firings followed by several people leaving has left some of the teams understaffed and underskilled.
    > The management doesn't listen to customers, and the customer satisfaction dramatically reflects this. Customers miss customer funded development.
    > Complete rewrite of all of Plex's software was outsourced to Belarus, now the remaining developers have to maintain a foreign codebase.
    > Company is slow to adopt new technologies, beyond gimmicks.
    > Nepotism is rampant.
    > Higher ups are often opinionated on how things should be done, and don't follow modern best practices.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees and customers want. Maybe look into Microsoft's Zero Defects methodology (no writing new code until there is no known bugs with existing code).

"Life as a Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Plex Systems, Inc. full-time

Pros

Company wide
    + Free snacks, soft drinks, coffee
    + Dedicated "unwind" space with pool and ping pong tables
    + Very good transparency within development department (cannot speak to other departments)
    + Decent communication from top-level leadership down to rest of the company (quarterly meetings, occasional company-wide email "check-ins," etc.)
    + Fair compensation, good benefits (401k match, quarterly bonus, tuition reimbursement, free gym membership, etc.)
    + Undefined number of vacation days ("responsible time off" - you just work it out with your manager)

Development department
    + Developers and development managers who care about improving themselves and the company
    + Every developer gets a private office (with a door!)
    + In general management trusts you to do your job, micromanagement pretty rare (depends on team)
    + Good hardware (minimum two 22" monitors, SSD, 16 GB RAM, i7-4790)
    + Clearly defined career path for a developer, delineated by several milestones
    + Languages, tools and technologies you will get to (have to?) use: C#, Javascript, Classic ASP, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Visual Studio 2012, ReSharper, GIT, SourceGear Vault, JIRA

Cons

- Developers are often the ones who know the most about the product. You will spend a lot of time answering questions about the product both directly from customers and from internal customer support. Documentation initiative is making some progress to ease this burden, but it is a slow process and will take patience.
    - Limited pool for raises this year, unsure about salary growth potential
    - Unclear delineation of job responsibilities between development and product management (depends on team I'm sure)
    - Lots of old blood, not a bad thing per se, but it would be nice to get some fresh, outside eyes on things (development procedures/best practices, tech stack, etc.)
    - Very little interest in paying off technical debt (which there's a lot of)
    - Have to support and maintain two versions of the same product simultaneously
    - Some not-quite-yet-mature development processes especially when it comes to deployments of the new product

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on for the most part. Many of the cons listed are already known to the appropriate personnel and are being worked on, and those that are not should be.