Tableau Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky

Pros
  • Great benefits, great work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great product, some really driven people in parts of the company (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast get ready for change (in 21 reviews)

• Growing pains caused by hiring lots of people (in 39 reviews)

"Great people, great product, great time"

Former Employee - Sales Area Manager, Acquisition, Commercial SMB in Washington, DC

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Tableau are awesome. The people I worked with were fun, thoughtful, laid-back, helpful, and smart.

Company makes an effort to listen to its employees and respond to their needs. For example, they changed our quota structure after several reps and managers had shared w/ upper management about some issues we were having.

Managers very receptive and responsive to feedback.

Company invests heavily in your professional development. The best training I've had in my career came at Tableau.

Tableau offers a lot of perks -- great company parties, team outings, regular contests, etc.

Customers LOVE Tableau. It's energizing to be working for a company that customers love. It also helps in sales.

Despite note hitting quota very often, I still felt like I got paid pretty well. I got a salary bump while I was there, cashed in about $3,000 in stock after the first year, and was still able to make decent commision. Benefits are great too.

Cons

This isn't necessarily a con w/ Tableau, but inside sales is brutal. The Sales Area Manager, Acquisition role (aka Account Executive) is a grind. It was hard for me to hit my quota and thus collect the amount of commission I would've liked. During my short time there, there were a lot of acquisition reps in the DC office who struggled to hit their number. But, again, upper management and the sales managers and directors did everything they could to help struggling reps meet their quotas and get paid. Me not hitting quota is not necessarily a reflection on Tableau, but I think it's important for people interested in working in sales at Tableau to be aware of.

2. "Operations"

Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, workspace, flexible work hours, salary compensation is good if you are on the right teams, high level leadership is positive and motivating.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive if you are not making the product, company culture is slowly outgrowing what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Help your team grow and advance their leadership skills to retain talent. People will leave because they don't feel their leaders are investing in their potential.

3. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The work culture was outstanding. The company also provided perks such as fully stocked kitchen and gaming stations to alleviate some of the stress of sales.

Cons

From some discussions, it seems that the pay is on the lower end outside of the sales team.

Advice to Management

While it might seem that you don't need to fix what is not broken, the retention rate is in the 90's...but I also think that as the company grows, it will be harder to retain the talent without increasing the compensation.

5. "Ops pay is average at best"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, some really driven people in parts of the company. Not alot of red tape. People want to do the right thing not alot of politics. All the advantages of a Software company. Willing to spend money on tooling. Tool bloat isnt terrible.

Cons

the hyper growth really hurt the quality you either lack quality SMEs or have people covering too many hats so they cant focus on making one thing great. Its a painful time to be at tableau but if you stick it out you can hopefully say you did something great.

Advice to Management

If you want to really improve the Ops org we need to hire top talent by paying what Amazon, Google, and Microsoft do. We hire top talent for Dev but in Ops we just go along with the flow. This ultimately hurts our sales and dev orgs by not having guys who automate their jobs all the way down to the help desk.

"Manage by chaos, failure to follow-up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Saccharin sweet and flexible, perfect for drones.

Cons

The department was controlled by chaotic management directives, a failure by senior leadership to follow-up on initiatives, and unheralded control by a few that adversely impacted whole segments of the organization.

Advice to Management

Hold all levels of the organization (especially senior management) accountable for more than software deliverables and sales quota.

"Great Culture, but Serious Growing Pains"

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are attracted to and want to work at Tableau because of the people and rightfully so. The people are great and there is a huge investment in the new hires. Tableau seems to maintain collaboration successfully on a global scale. The health benefits are also great.

Cons

New management at all levels is causing the company to face some setbacks as they transition into the new phase of Tableau. They pay significantly lower than other tech companies in Seattle... its no secret. Tableau seems to generate a lot of great talent, but keeping that talent is a struggle they are currently facing.

Advice to Management

Recognize your talent, stay connected and involved with your team. If you can't give your employees the raise they deserve, create educational/career development opportunities. First time managers, there are a lot of you... invest in management training and mentorship from experienced managers. Acknowledge hardships/challenges the company/your department is facing. Don't be silent, be present and accountable... lead.

"low pay, good culture fading"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

in past years it used to be a sweet office. no management interfering with your daily routine and you can do whatever you want, basically. still the same, but then nothing gets done and quality of work sucks. pay reflects this work.

Cons

Some people need management. With no managers nothing gets done. Yeah its nice to not be pushed to have more productivity but on a team of slackers it gets depressing. I did not have to try to be a top performer, i just did work. Now everyone realizes pay is 50% of market rate in support and they are announcing promotions that DID NOT HAPPEN. Management blames upper management and we never get an answer for why people are stuck in entry level work and why people are leaving for double-triple the pay elsewhere.

Advice to Management

let the slackers go and give a raise to the people who actually do worker. the top 20% of people are doing 80% of the work and helping the bottom 80% do the remaining 20% of work. Pay a competitive rate and demand higher performance. otherwise people are here thinking they don't have to do anything and you are proving them right by letting them coast.

"commercial named account sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture, team environment is sharing and friendly competition. Great benefits, great work life balance.

Cons

can't bring dogs to work.

10. "Great atmosphere. You will never dread going to work."

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food, parties, management, time off, medical, dental, vision, 401k, ESPP, did I mention food and parties? They really know how to throw a party.

Cons

Pay is low for the cost of living in Seattle. Opportunity for real pay increase is almost nonexistent. In other words, if you don't start within $10/hr of where you wanna end, you're gonna have a bad time.

Advice to Management

PAY. MORE. KEEP. YOUR. TALENT.

11. "Completed One year.. Excellent culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- supports culture of research and innovation.
    - trustworthy colleagues and respectful environment.
    - obsessed with product quality.

Cons

- Tableau has only one product so far. they need to diversify fast.