Tableau Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky

Pros
  • Great benefits, great work life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Great product that really does help people (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast get ready for change (in 21 reviews)

• The company has just gone through a period of massive growth and I think we're seeing some growing pains right now (in 42 reviews)

1. "A great opportunity to learn from veterans, and learn in a supportive environment."

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Area Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Area Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly supportive environment, with great benefits and compensation and excellent work/life balance. You will find that your managers really do care about building your career.

Cons

If you're uncomfortable with change, you probably won't like Tableau. Management changes and shifts a lot, and roles expectations change as required to keep alignment with company goals.

Advice to Management

Marketing and sales should be very tightly integrated, considering the importance of each team to the other.

2. "Fun, Laid Back Company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do enjoy working here - all the people are amazing to work with and fun to spend this much time with. It's a fairly laid back atmosphere, that I am sure is dependent on your manager. Flexible with vacation and sick time. Tableau does invest in personal growth for individual employees and the entire Sales Team at a Sales conference every year. It's easy to move to a different position within the company.

Cons

Not a lot of communication with higher ups. Most people took pay decreases to work here.

3. "Leadership that cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, supportive, and hard working environment. Senior management is personable and makes themselves available. Team building events galore and a strong mission help to keep up morale. Upward mobility within the company encouraged. Benefits are pretty nice too.

Cons

When working with so many people, you're bound to run into a few characters you don't quite click with. But that's to be expected anywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and not just smart people!

4. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture.
    Fun company parties.
    Rewarding company goal.

Cons

As anywhere, if your direct manager doesn't support you, can be difficult to find purpose.

Advice to Management

When you have a worker who is excelling in one aspect, and struggling in another, consider moving that worker to what their strengths are, if it still benefits the company.

5. "Truly great corporation"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked kitchens with amazing options for starters (hello red bull!). Lots of catered food meetings and events as well, they definitely make sure you are eating well and not distracted by this aspect of daily life. The health benefits are the best I've ever seen before, extremely low premiums and deductibles. They are extremely flexible when things are going on and you need time off. The company is going through a growth spurt, which means that you have the ability to make high impact decisions and have a lot of ownership at the management level. The folks who work here are very intelligent and although there are some "type a" personalities here, everyone is super friendly and that's hard to find in tech. Coming over from a large area tech company I have been nothing short of impressed by tableau.

Cons

I think there's some "old blood" that are a tad spoiled and tend to complain about things that are not perks at other companies, that's a tad annoying at times.

Advice to Management

Be a little less friendly in a few key areas of the business, this will be important as you grow.

"Great company with room to improve"

Current Employee - Tech Support Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fine place to learn a wide range of skillsets and make an impact. The culture is among the best I have seen and everyone works as a team. Processes are constantly being improved and every improvement is predominantly done with the customer in mind. Some really amazing managers here, mostly internally grown so they know your job and career options. The work is challenging and the customers are surprisingly pleasant to work with most days.

Cons

Benefits are solid, but Base Salary is not competitive with similar industries, especially in the Seattle area (high cost of living). Management cares, but can face internal challenges doing the right thing for their employees. Career opportunities are less plentiful amongst the international teams.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth, particularly those in Technical Support. These are incredibly intelligent people who have a complex job and are an essential backbone of maintaining satisfaction for customers after their software purchase.

"Great company, horribly managed team"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are by far the pro's of Tableau. They throw fun events and keep things exciting at work, new beautiful buildings are in construction, and the company is hip. Benefits are the best I've encountered.

Cons

Company has lost some morale with the struggles of the last year. Senior management has strong favoritism and people who do sketchy things or don't lift a finger end up getting promoted while the hard working and helpful ones get shafted and end up leaving. Worst senior management ever. Moving onto other teams is rough because openings come up very rarely and very competitive. Also, your team management basically punishes you for trying to pursue elsewhere and if you don't get it, it becomes very awkward.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the work that people do and don't just try to push numbers that don't even matter. Recognize and appreciate those that are strong employee's. Don't make a big deal about things that are not life or death and take care of your employee's better.

"Great people, great product, great time"

Former Employee - Sales Area Manager, Acquisition, Commercial SMB in Washington, DC

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Tableau are awesome. The people I worked with were fun, thoughtful, laid-back, helpful, and smart.

Company makes an effort to listen to its employees and respond to their needs. For example, they changed our quota structure after several reps and managers had shared w/ upper management about some issues we were having.

Managers very receptive and responsive to feedback.

Company invests heavily in your professional development. The best training I've had in my career came at Tableau.

Tableau offers a lot of perks -- great company parties, team outings, regular contests, etc.

Customers LOVE Tableau. It's energizing to be working for a company that customers love. It also helps in sales.

Despite note hitting quota very often, I still felt like I got paid pretty well. I got a salary bump while I was there, cashed in about $3,000 in stock after the first year, and was still able to make decent commision. Benefits are great too.

Cons

This isn't necessarily a con w/ Tableau, but inside sales is brutal. The Sales Area Manager, Acquisition role (aka Account Executive) is a grind. It was hard for me to hit my quota and thus collect the amount of commission I would've liked. During my short time there, there were a lot of acquisition reps in the DC office who struggled to hit their number. But, again, upper management and the sales managers and directors did everything they could to help struggling reps meet their quotas and get paid. Me not hitting quota is not necessarily a reflection on Tableau, but I think it's important for people interested in working in sales at Tableau to be aware of.

"Knowing your place"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of flexibility (which is rare for customer support)
    -Wonderful manager and coworkers that were always eager to help manage cases
    -Lots of new hire training and supplemental hiring
    -Perks like snacks, occasional catering, company parties were insane

Cons

-Low pay. It's no secret Tableau underpays compared to other tech and software companies in the area. The snacks & perks are meant to distract you from lack of pay.
    -There were two women on my sub-team in the office the whole I was there
    -If you're in Support, get ready for server admins that are certain you are trying to sabotage them

Advice to Management

Don't take the little guys for granted. Tableau has always had a great reputation when it comes to Support, but the team needs support too.

10. "Operations"

Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, workspace, flexible work hours, salary compensation is good if you are on the right teams, high level leadership is positive and motivating.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive if you are not making the product, company culture is slowly outgrowing what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Help your team grow and advance their leadership skills to retain talent. People will leave because they don't feel their leaders are investing in their potential.