Tableau Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

- Initial phone call with HR
    - Phone screen round - Asked 1 leetcode hard question (NDA, so can't disclose)
    - Followed by Onsite - 4 rounds-
            1st round -This was a Design round and they were more interested in how you resolve the conflicts in the backend and what design decisions would you make for resolving those conflicts.My solution was a mix of how I can optimize the backend implementation logic and also made few design changes so that I was fulfilling the non-function requirements like- latency , consistency etc.
    - 2nd round was coding round, was asked a leetcode hard problem. Correct and optimal solution matters but they respect if you can modularize your code and this gives you some extra points.
    - 3rd round was a general conversation round , talking about my passions & interests. Also making me a little more familiar with what the team was doing.
    - Last round was a coding round , which began with some discussion on one of my projects and then was presented a coding question which was again a hard question of Dynamic Programming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I applied online, received a call from the company recruiter, discussed technical skills and set up an online coding interview followed by an onsite interview. Met 4 group of engineers at onsite interview, all of them are nice and professional. The entire process took 2 weeks and the company recruiter are very responsive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Coding screening, then a full round of on-site interviews.
    80% the interviewers told me they are impressed. But, no offer. These guys are indian and simply won't hire a caucasian, that's I believe what happened.

Interview Questions

• 1/ Architect and design a version controlled data storage system to hold arbitrary data.
      2/ A byte stream consists of 2-byte and 3-byte words, each byte is either 0 or 1, so like "001 01 10 100 ..." Given an arbitrary position in the stream (including in the middle of a word), come up with a solution to decode the stream.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. First, there was a technical phone screen interview with an engineer using a shared document. After that, I was invited to the office for a day of on-site interviews. There were four, one hour long interviews total, including a lunch interview. Each interview was conducted by two people. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in February 2016.

Interview

One early doors personal interview, one phone technical interview, and finally an on site. The on site consisted of two questions from 2 different interviewers. They gave me the decision about a week after the on site.

Interview Questions

• A lot of algorithms questions; phone interview asked about red black trees and string manipulations. On-site was a little harder (had dynamic programming questions), but I can't go into specifics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

A Tableau employee I did an informational interview with put me in touch with a recruiter. Set up a phone call with the recruiter which was very pleasant and fairly general - me and my background, Tableau and the work they do. At the end of the 30 min call, he said I might be a good fit for an open position with a team and scheduled me for a phone screen.

Phone screen was with a SE member of the team. There was some general talk about his and my work background, then he asked me to implement a function to merge two sorted arrays into a sorted array. I wrote out the code on a coding hire editor they'd linked me to. I was pretty nervous because this was my first ever tech screen but my interviewer was super nice and we worked through the problem without an issue. I made sure to keep talking out loud as I worked through the problem and was careful about input checks which I think he appreciated.

Follow ups: what would you do if you were merging three arrays? More?

There were a few dumb mistakes or things I found myself slow on. For one, my mind completely blanked and I couldn't remember if a Java function could return an int[] array. Wasn't sure if I could make an array of size 0. Little things but I was frustrated with myself for that - partially nerves and unfamiliarity with the process, partially because I'm picking up Java again after a while. My interviewer was super nice though and kept me comfortable throughout. I actually learnt things during the interview. We also talked about Tableau, company culture, why I want to work there as well as some questions I had for him. Overall, a very pleasant conversation that confirmed my interest in the team and Tableau!

The recruiter emailed me the very next day to schedule an on-site interview for 4-6 hours. Still waiting on the scheduling. Will update the review once that I go through those. Fingers crossed!

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes two sorted arrays and merges them to create a sorted array.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Added a recruiter on Linkedin and sent a private message about hiring opportunities. I was replied to quickly, and was able to set up an interview for the following week. Interviewer spoke with me on the phone and was very nice! Tableau seemed like a great company to work for and they were hiring like crazy. I was told to study CS fundamentals and to try out their software (they stressed this about the interview). I did every single interview question that other users from Glassdoor did and more practice from Cracking the Code. I tried out the trial version of their software as well (can't install on linux :(.)

I was totally ready for the interview! Next week comes around, and the interviewer calls me. Spends about 10 minutes talking about his position at Tableau and what to expect. Then he asks about basic data structures: what is the difference between a linked list, tree, and a hashmap. The question seemed pretty easy, so I explained how each of them worked, and example cases of each. The interviewer kept saying "okay but what else?" until I ran out of content to talk about. I'll give you the answer because he eventually told me what he was looking for: linked lists preserve order of insertion, trees are good for finding ranges of values, and hashmaps are for quick lookup. I was a bit annoyed, because I felt like I had touched all those concepts already but maybe didn't word it the exact way he was looking for and felt like he was only really looking for one specific answer for such a vague question.

Next we got to the coding question. The requirement was to consolidate a series of stream readers into one combined stream reader given they all implement some common class with a common function int read(char*, int). Honestly, it wasn't easy to understand what the goal was initially so I asked a lot of clarifying questions, but I also didn't have a lot of experience on stream readers. I did finish the problem and he was asking to implement another feature but we ran out of time.

Overall, I was a little bummed because I felt like my interview questions were really vague and the interviewer didn't really clarify much for me even when I asked questions. The process was fast and everyone was nice though, so I won't say anything negative about that.

Interview Questions

• Difference between linked list, tree, and hash map. Create a stream reader in C++ that consolidates multiple different stream inputs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

5 interviews including lunch interview. 2 interviewers showed up for each one. One hour each.

A lot of behavioral questions.

Your passion is very very important.

Doing a team match afterwards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to begin the interviewing process with Tableau. They were very cordial and always happy to answer any questions I had.

After my initial phone screen, we set up a tech screen to be completed over the phone. Both the recruiter and the engineer I spoke with were very approachable and handled the job tactfully.

I was unfortunately not made an offer due to insufficient experience, however the way in which they handled the decision was very professional. I certainly appreciated the experience as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Describe an application you had recently built and the focus for the project that you provided. Give some examples of design that you implemented in any specific part of the application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Onsite interview following a technical phone screen. Four technical sessions, each conducted by two engineers, and lunch out with the hiring manager. For two of the technical sessions, one of the engineers was remote, dialing in through Cisco meeting system, and pointing the camera at the whiteboard.

Technical questions were challenging, but I got the feeling it was meant to be a kind of collaborative experience. Two were coding, one was an object/system design exercise, and another was a debugging/code-reviewing exercise.

Most everyone seemed pretty nice, and technically pretty strong. The remote interviewers was a little odd for whiteboard coding, but the system seems to work out.

Interview Questions

• Part of the N-queens question - given an N x N chess board with N queens already positioned on it, write a function to tell whether the queens are "safe" from each other or not.   Answer Question
    • Using C or C++ specifically, deallocate an entire binary tree without using recursion, or any external data structures like stacks/queues/arrays, etc. You can use local vars/pointers.   1 Answer
    • Object/system design: design a car rental service.   Answer Question
    • Code-review a few pages of code (printed out, thankfully with colored syntax highlighting). The interviewers step out of the room for 10 minutes or so, and let you mark it up by hand. When they come back, you have a discussion about your comments and questions.   Answer Question