Tableau Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tableau Software Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2017

3.2

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

the process ran fast but was not very satisfying. Over 3 days of interviews, i came across people who weren't prepared for the interview at all and didn't even try to conceal their displeasure...
    they even tried to convince me to take a pay cut!
    overall, the interview process was ok. i wish that the interviewers were better prepared and more interested.

Interview Questions

• tell us one time when you had to let go of a product idea   1 Answer

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

An employee referred me; they will schedule a first screening, which is a very low stakes get-to-know-you conversation. If you pass the first screening, they will send a homework assignment that covers tableau's fundamental features (i.e., aggregation, visualizing, trends, creating calculated fields, etc. ). They will supply the company's superstore data set.

Next, they will schedule a 30 conversation with the hiring manager. You should be prepared to explain why you think tableau is evolving the universe and bring inspired questions to them. Next, they will schedule an on-site demo of their product along with 2 hours of interviewing. Watch all of the tableau learning videos and handle those tough questions with grace. Don't lie, or make false claims because they will know if you are BSing. I recommend practicing the demo live before going on the site because the environment is very cold, and critical.

My recruiter called me two business day after her estimated call back date and said that they thought I radiated positive energy but stumbled on the technical questions. Admittedly, I didn't watch all of the videos; I felt quite nervous during the demo and failed to accurately keep track of the time, but I had assumed they would still work with me; I handled most of their technical concerns.

Caveat:
    Be prepared to practice patience. My recruiter overestimated their feedback date every part of the process; it's not necessarily their fault since tableau is a large company with many moving parts.
    Scheduling other interviews was much more interesting...

Interview Questions

• How would you sell our product to a non-technical person?   Answer Question
    • Explain something technical (game, system, process, etc.). (2 min)   Answer Question
    • If you had one more week, how would you improve your demo?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Onsite interview following a technical phone screen. Four technical sessions, each conducted by two engineers, and lunch out with the hiring manager. For two of the technical sessions, one of the engineers was remote, dialing in through Cisco meeting system, and pointing the camera at the whiteboard.

Technical questions were challenging, but I got the feeling it was meant to be a kind of collaborative experience. Two were coding, one was an object/system design exercise, and another was a debugging/code-reviewing exercise.

Most everyone seemed pretty nice, and technically pretty strong. The remote interviewers was a little odd for whiteboard coding, but the system seems to work out.

Interview Questions

• Part of the N-queens question - given an N x N chess board with N queens already positioned on it, write a function to tell whether the queens are "safe" from each other or not.   Answer Question
    • Using C or C++ specifically, deallocate an entire binary tree without using recursion, or any external data structures like stacks/queues/arrays, etc. You can use local vars/pointers.   1 Answer
    • Object/system design: design a car rental service.   Answer Question
    • Code-review a few pages of code (printed out, thankfully with colored syntax highlighting). The interviewers step out of the room for 10 minutes or so, and let you mark it up by hand. When they come back, you have a discussion about your comments and questions.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied as an employee referral and was contacted right away. I had a phone screen with the recruiter and hiring manager, both of which seemed to go very well. I was told that I would hear back from the recruiter at the end of the call with the HM. The day after my call with the HM, I checked the company website and saw that the position was no longer available. I waited another day to give them a chance to follow up with me to let me know that they were not moving forward, but they did not. I checked in with the recruiter and was told that the team had decided to go in a different direction. Based on her response, it was clear that they never intended to follow up with me and let me know their decision, even though I was an employee referral and had two phone calls. In my opinion, this is very poor communication and a sub-par recruiting experience.

Interview Questions

• If you have 5 offers, all things being equal, what tips you in one direction or another?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

The HR was quite easy to communicate with. Set up a 1 hour screening interview. I thought it went well enough to get me an Onsite interview. A bit miffed that it did not happen. The interviewer did not seem to have as much experience and was filling in for someone else so there was definitely a gap in the technical conversation. I guess that worked against me.

Interview Questions

• Lowest common ancestor of two nodes or values in a binary tree. Each node does not have a pointer to its parent node.   1 Answer
    • Open ended question on Car design   1 Answer

Software Engineer, Product Testing, Maps Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied for the position from LinkedIn, Got an email for an interview schedule, gave my time slot and the Telephonic interview was scheduled.
    Got the call from Manager,
    It was for an hour,
    I was about my previous experience and some technical questions

Interview Questions

• Write a code to find the smallest unique number from an array with numbers some can be dups   1 Answer
    • What are the test cases for a highway toll both?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

One technical phone screen followed by a reject after a week of pinging the recruiter Zeb. No reason specified. Very unprofessional if they reject with no reason. I really thought the interview went quite well considering how easy the questions were.

Interview Questions

• 1) Print a tree in level ordered
      2) Given a array of ints with one peak, find the peak.
      1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

Interview was very choppy. HR representative called me over VOIP from a empty room, it was impossible to hear her as everything was echoing. I had mentioned the connection issues, and asked for questions to be repeated a few times but there was no effort to rectify the situation.

After a 25 minutes of 'broken' conversation I was asked about something that wasn't listed in the job description, and then was abruptly told that i was not a fit candidate due to this factor.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn with a warm and detailed message. I then responded within fewer than 24 hours. I never heard back from the recruiter. I do not see this as an impressive management of candidates!

Director Analyst Relations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Tableau Software in March 2017.

Interview

Completed one phone call with a human resources staff person after applying online. They sent me an email a few days after the phone screen that they ultimately decided to hire internally.