Tableau Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

There was an original screening call where they asked me about different types of database software, asked about what a firewall did and asked if I knew what a handful of different http status codes meant. After the phone screening they asked me back for another interview that was 3.5 hours long. Over the course of the interview I met with three different managers, took a written test (on the basics of rdbms and networking with extra credit sections on APIs and Linux), had an oral interview, and did a troubleshooting "lab" with one of the managers.

Interview Questions

• For the troubleshooting lab they set up a scenario where Sally got blank results when querying for a part in the application she was using. The application connected to a server, which connected to a database. They asked me to troubleshoot why things weren't working   3 Answers
    • Why might Tableau develop an API and make it available for customers?   2 Answers

Sales Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in April 2020.

Interview

I applied and received an email from a recruiter to do a phone screening. I had a 20 minute phone screening with the recruiter who then set me up with a hiring manager. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. After these two rounds, I received an email from the recruiter that they had received all positive feedback, but I will not be moving forward in the interview process. When I asked the recruiter for feedback so I can improve my interview skills, she simply responded "it is not our policy to provide feedback." As someone who greatly respected this company, this was a big turn off for me. Recruiters should work on being more human and building relationships with prospects. If an individual is asking for advice on how to improve their professional skills, they should be given at least a small glimpse of insight on how to grow. I also have a close colleague who interviewed with Tableau's parent company, Salesforce, and received a ton of feedback so I'm not sure how this recruiter can try and blame it on the company.

Product Consultant Interview

Interview

I applied online, product consulting intern. After 10 days, I got an email that the recuriter invited me to have a phone call, saying that discuss with me about my background and skills in detail.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

Very straightforward - first an interview with the recruiter, then hiring manager, then a series of one on one interviews with potential stakeholders. The recruiters that were working with me were very inconsiderate of my time and did not even provide a break during the four hour interview process.

Interview Questions

• How do you delight a customer?   1 Answer

AR Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in March 2020.

Interview

1st phone interview with recruiter went well. Great natural flow. 2nd phone interview with Hiring Manager, wasn't engaging. Had me on speaker the entire time and asked no questions about my direct experience in AR or Customer Service.

Interview Questions

• Why Tableau?   1 Answer
    • What have you done that's been innovative and what made it different?   1 Answer

Senior Digital Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in January 2020.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me about a Senior Analyst position. During the initial screening, she started mentioning responsibilities and work that did not align with the position I had applied for. She emailed me back stating I did not have the experience for a Senior Manager role, and needed to apply for the Senior Analyst role... one that I had already applied for.

The messiness of this initial experience followed throughout the process. While I'm sure Tableau is a great place to work, and the hiring manager and employee I spoke with both seemed like fine individuals, they mentioned they've been attempting to fill this role for quite some time and I'm not surprised. I don't think they have a very organized and effective hiring process within the team at the moment after speaking with those in charge of the process.

Interview Questions

• What are your three greatest weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference between a table and a view (SQL)?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The recruiter rescheduled the call thrice and in the end, failed to give a call. Little disappointed as I had to follow up each time to get the call rescheduled.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in December 2019.

Interview

Time waster, connected at Tableau networking event , recruiter reached out to me for open roles . Recruiter was good at communication and updating after interview feedback. I have solved both coding questions in the telephonic interview but was rejected with feedback such as design , mentor ship etc from interviewer which was not even the interview assessment topic during the coding interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions: q1: sort binary array q2: Find the median island size in a single dimensional array   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First the normal call with the recruiter. He explained the process and told he will forward the resume to the hiring manage. Couple of days later he mailed me telling hiring manager is interested in proceeding and an initial phone screen will be scheduled soon. And within a week the phone screen was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked generally about the project and then went on to codepair to solve a problem. I thought about the problem for a while , but could not identify an obvious pattern. I solved the problem and after the interview I realized I took the complex route.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in November 2019.

Interview

Started with a phone screen covering basic technical troubleshooting skills and terminology. Once brought in for the onsite interview loop, it consisted of two hour-long technical sessions. One was an interactive scenario with an interviewer that focused on your troubleshooting thought process. The second was a written survey asking general technical definitions and questions on a range of topics, from databases to operating systems to networking. Afterward there was a half-hour interview with a manager that focused more on soft skills and your work history. Overall I recommend taking time to brush up on technical concepts before coming in, just to cover all your bases.

Interview Questions

• Person A is experiencing X symptoms with Y system. How would you go about troubleshooting the source of the problem?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

Talked to the recruiter at the career fair and had 3-45min interviews after that. Overall, very positive experience. The recruiters are great, and the engineers are really passionate about what they are doing