Talbots Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love working here, work life balance is great (in 28 reviews)

• Plus a great employee discount makes it even easier to dress the part (in 31 reviews)

Cons

1. "Perfect Part-time Position"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Fun company to work part-time and enjoy discounts and nice peopkr

Cons

Always on feet and busy

Advice to Management

Name tags for sales people

2. "A company of people who care"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time

Pros

It is an environment of empowerment you are encouraged to Manage your store as a business owner and you are given the tools to support your team and your customers.

Cons

There is nothing negative to say

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire your team through empowerment and positive reinforcement.

3. "I was asked if I was happy to get hired. I replied its a blessing."

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newark, DE

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional workforce clothing store with bright and cheerful colors from spring and summer.

Cons

I was told my start date would be around the 26th of August, the last week of August. I was super excited to work!! A series of events brought me in a lot of drama.

Advice to Management

I received a group email, however on my phone it came in as a separate text message. The message expressed cutting hours for employees for the week's schedule. I am the new employee, so I found that to be offensive for some employees who didn't want their hours cut, to accommodate me a new employee, this is my take on it. I replied, Okay! to the manager. Next thing that happen.. I received a text message from a man saying , "today is my last day" from a different phone number other than the one the manager included me in, perhaps by mistake or I'm not sure now. (Employees phone numbers are listed on the schedules.) I was lost for words....This was not the type of attitude I wanted to receive starting a new job in a professional environment. Why was this handled through a text message, and why did this message appear on my phone. I hadn't started work yet. I mentioned to the manager that the text message did not reach my phone as a group message, so I called that number trying to get a response. He finally answered showed me the group text and insulted me in the process. I was devasted when I called her however the blame was pointed at me. I have worked in retail for many years. I love helping people shop for clothes. I would have increased sales just by enjoying what I do. I have to find another job Now:-(

4. "Chronically understaffed."

Pros

The customers are loyal and mostly gracious. ( There are always a few entitled, rude customers.) The associate discount can be good; but even then the prices are high for a low paying retail job. (Talbots hourly wage is higher than average for our area). The manager was accommodating as possible when scheduling.

Cons

The store is chronically understaffed which made most shifts hard and stressful. The customers were waiting in lines and frustrated. The point of sale system takes too long...needs updating for efficiency. The high volume of Internet returns is often cunbersome and gets in the way of customer service.

Advice to Management

Look carefully at demographics of certain areas and design clothes accordingly...off white cords will not sell...they are not flattering. Look into making fewer thin, see thru type tops...I heard complaints about this daily. Give managers broader latitude in the numbers of people they can hire and schedule. Customer service has really suffered because of poorly staffed stores. There was some employee burnout too.

5. "Client Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Specialist in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Client Specialist in Towson, MD

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talbot's feels like family. We help each other succeed. There are no commissions sales so we are all driven to help our customers. We strive to make her feel appreciated and help her look her best.

Cons

I truly don't have any.

6. "Not as good as it used to be"

I worked at Talbots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with.
    Trying to update the systems to be more effective

Cons

They are transitioning seasoned employees out
    Calendar changes continuously
    Work/ life balance is lacking

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with wonderfully talented staff, and the product is so easy to sell. Customers are so appreciative, and they are happy to have great looking clothes and service. The group works as a team and the competition for commission is alleviated. Hence, teamwork.

Cons

Can not think of any. I suppose juggling how to figure out "right" size. This takes time, and increases inventory knowledge and success at finding wardrobe solutions for great customers.

Advice to Management

They are so good at what they do. Great management.

8. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. Learned a lot about process, professionalism and the retail marketing world.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. Everyone is very huffy about doing their jobs. Very fake environment and culture is toxic. Plan to work with miserable Stepford Wives in a cut throat environment.

Advice to Management

Culture needs to change. Very toxic.

"Horrible company! Find another retail company to work for!"

I have been working at Talbots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales people and very nice customers.

Cons

Horrible management! Very lazy and rude managers. They will call you 1 hr. before you have to work to say don't come to work because business is slow. Discount is okay. 60% for new arrivals for 1 week and 50% after but you must use a Talbots credit card to get that discount or you will only get 40% off. Most companies do not do that. There should be the same discount for everyone. They do not give you breaks and do not pay holiday pay. They do not have company parties for the staff or give them small gifts of appreciation . They say that Nordstrom is their competitor but we all know that is ridiculous because we are in 2 different leagues, Nordstrom being so much better.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified managers who work really well with the customers and employees. Appreciate your employees and stop taking them for granted. We are the ones who pay your salary through our sales. If we all walked out of the store, you would have to close the store. That is how important we are to you. We will not get customers to open credit cards because you treat employees so poorly. We will not up sell because we do not work on commission. We will not meet the sales goals of the day because we do not care enough about the management. If they had more respect and appreciation, things would change.

10. "Manager"

Pros

Great company the customers are the best part. It's easy to work for a company that values it's reputation.

Cons

The work life balance is often difficult to maintain. Work expectations are high with little resources.