Talend Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Talend CEO Mike Tuchen
Mike Tuchen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We have great products in the fast-growing Big Data market (in 18 reviews)

• Talend is such a great place to be right now (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any fast-growing company, we have some growing pains (in 14 reviews)

• Leading Edge Technologie (mit all den bekannten Vor- und Nachteilen), Work/life Balance, Wachstumsschmerzen eines Post -IPO Unternehmens mit j (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great time to join!"

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talend is in the early IPO stage and things are very exciting. We have a fast paced environment with very little to no hand holding. This creates a culture of creativity and accountability for all levels of employees. You have the opportunity to create, build, and own processes on a global scale and run with projects from the ground up.

The people who work here are smart and motivated.

Cons

Growing pains are a reality for all fast growing companies. Processes need to be built where there is nothing in place. New territories need to be broken into and many people have to wear many different hats that are not necessarily part of their job description. This can be tiring and frustrating but also exciting.

Advice to Management

Build onto a greater global Talend culture. Bring ALL employees together for Talend contests, events, and updates to make us feel more like a unified company. Your people are your greatest asset, help us to feel more connected with one another, especially remote employees.

2. "Great Memories, Good Place to Build Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Talend (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People in the early days
    Solid Product
    So many great memories and fun

Cons

Too top heavy in executive management

Advice to Management

Keep the culture solid, keep the excitement and invest in your good people and their careers.

3. "Love everything, except..."

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Talend (More than a year)

Pros

When I started, it was refreshing to see the CEO take time to actually stop by the onboarding session to talk with the new employees. Coming from large organizations, this was definitely a welcome change.

A year into my time with the company, it's a great culture, product and has amazing people. More importantly, Mike Tuchen and our leadership have done an amazing job taking the company public. I know Mike reads these, so big Thank You for getting us through it.

Cons

Training took longer than I would have liked. But, usual growing pains as we go public; nothing troubling. Lastly, I really wish Talend offered paid paternity leave.

"love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Very collaborative, motivated, and dedicated people. I've worked at several Bay Area companies and this is easily the best. I don't see different silos competing against each other -- everybody helps each other to get the best result for our customers.
    Management is very consistent about priorities. They are dedicated to making our customers more successful. They have a strategy and it makes sense!
    We have great products in the fast-growing Big Data market.

Cons

Like any fast-growing company, we have some growing pains. There is plenty of work to do, and it's hard to hire great people fast enough.

"Alliances"

Current Employee - Alliances in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Alliances in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is now experiencing very high growth and is winning in some exciting markets (e.g. Big Data). Executive Management is very methodical and consistent on the metrics we use to measure our quarterly goals and objectives. Marketing team deeply understands our Buyer's Journey which is a competitive advantage. Product are good and seem to be improving.
    Very impressed with the people i get work with day to day. People who have been here 8yrs are just as engaged and excited to compete as people who have been here 3mo. I enjoy my relationship with my direct manager who is extremely quick on getting to the core of an issue as well as planning for long term strategy. He's also very open and coachable on new ideas

Cons

As we are going fast and our product line expands, the demands on Product Management and Engr. are really increasing and getting to the right people can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Keep driving the change and communicating the vision and direction. Continue being transparent & open to new ideas and opportunities. Be willing to continue to make hard choices when necessary.

6. "Salary"

Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Talend (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great company to work for.

Cons

There is no cons to this company.

"Growing while growing up"

Current Employee - Chief Evangelist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Chief Evangelist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is also the biggest con for Talend right now. They are growing so rapidly and evolving from being a small, startup, "do it yourself" company to becoming one that is ready for the big time that there is endless opportunity to have real impact. I am perhaps more fortunate than some, but I really believe I have the power to shape my role and the organization for the better.

I also firmly believe executive management is focused on growth and success and not just in the "we have to succeed" way everyone is, but in real execution and improvement of both the core product, support, marketing, and overall partnerships and GTM. This comprehensive focus means they are poised to drive a much higher rate of success as a result.

Cons

With great opportunity comes great responsibility. This is not a job you go to and coast. Like many smaller organizations there is no time for slacking off and too much work to get done by all. I prefer this path though so am drawn to the challenge of keeping up with this type of pace. It will definitely be a burnout pace for those looking to not really work.

The only other downside (and one I fully expected) is that the benefits and overall "perks" are not good. This is so common for small companies, and Talend is no different so it is fundamentally immaterial but worth mentioning because even in terms of bad benefits and poor "corporate tools" (like corp credit cards and policies) they are very poor. Again, this isn't a slam; most small orgs fail at this miserably, but they are worth noting as a con. Also this has nothing to do with compensation which I found to be right on what I expected and thus my "3" rating.

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to standardize and codify the things you need to. So many small organizations fail at this when growing up. The path going forward is a solid one, just continue to execute.

"Good Product Poor Management Style's"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

They have a good product and great pricing. They are very motivated in getting to an IPO that is obvious. Lots of clients that use the software in unique ways, which is nice to see.

Cons

They don't have very good leadership and or management. They need to let go of the european way of doing business. They don't focus enough on support or customer service. You would think being in business for 10 years from a start-up that they would have improved their understanding of software project's in fortune 500 firms. Their org structure is quite confusing. And the people that actually deliver project's with the software get zero support from others. It's actually kinda sad. Could be so much more. C-Level Management doesn't talk to one another, and that is so obvious to outside people. They don't seem to care about team building or anything like that. Which leads to no camaraderie within the employees. Everybody is a stranger. So many new employees i would think team building would be the main thing you would want to focus on.

Advice to Management

Focus more on team building. Management should support their team while they are on site. Position ambiguity is making life harder than it needs to be when working there.

"Great Career Move and Promising Future Ahead"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talend is a very innovative company that is leading the way. I am very fortunate to be working at such a great company that truly values its employees. When I started at Talend I told them I wanted growth opportunities. My management team told me exactly what I needed to do to get there and it was my job to execute. I am very pleased with my time at Talend and how much my opinion matters to all levels of leadership.

Cons

There is always going to be growing pains with a startup, but as long as we learn from our mistakes it is all worth it in the long run.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, this company has come so far in the last year and I am excited to see what is ahead for the Talend team!

"Support Organization Review"

Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Talend (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of information to learn, and technology to gain experience with.

You will be a jack of all trades and experience work within networking, devOps, programming, data science.

Cons

Management is not flexible or understanding towards special circumstance. Management style consists heavily on micromanagement. Management is at times overly critical.

Employees have no say in policies that effect their work any voiced opinions or suggestions are never taken into consideration.

Lack of career mobility.

Advice to Management

Be understanding, flexible, and innovative. Talend had a great company culture but in the transition to new upper management this culture was lost. Work collaboratively and listen to your employees leadership will be ineffective unless you gain the support, respect, and trust of all employees.