Talend Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Talend CEO Mike Tuchen
Mike Tuchen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We have great products in the fast-growing Big Data market (in 18 reviews)

• Talend is such a great place to be right now (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any fast-growing company, we have some growing pains (in 13 reviews)

• Leading Edge Technologie (mit all den bekannten Vor- und Nachteilen), Work/life Balance, Wachstumsschmerzen eines Post -IPO Unternehmens mit j (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great time to join!"

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talend is in the early IPO stage and things are very exciting. We have a fast paced environment with very little to no hand holding. This creates a culture of creativity and accountability for all levels of employees. You have the opportunity to create, build, and own processes on a global scale and run with projects from the ground up.

The people who work here are smart and motivated.

Cons

Growing pains are a reality for all fast growing companies. Processes need to be built where there is nothing in place. New territories need to be broken into and many people have to wear many different hats that are not necessarily part of their job description. This can be tiring and frustrating but also exciting.

Advice to Management

Build onto a greater global Talend culture. Bring ALL employees together for Talend contests, events, and updates to make us feel more like a unified company. Your people are your greatest asset, help us to feel more connected with one another, especially remote employees.

"What an SKO, Talend is rocking."

Current Employee - AE
    Current Employee - AE

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vision, Disrupting the market. What a Sales Kick Off. The best I have ever been too, and I have been to a lot. The messaging on Big Data and the Cloud was spot on. Great customer use cases presented. They even had a VP of a real customer present why he bought Talend. It was the best presentation on the value proposition on how to build a Big Data environment, using Talend as the cornerstone to this strategy.

Plus SKO was at The Broadmoor, wow what a place.

Talend is such a great place to be right now. People are doing big deals, we have a marketing team supporting the ae, and the management team is executing on the vision. The executives had a open forum session, and they we very transparent with all the questions from the team, and it was a great vibe to feel the cohesiveness. Growing fast and taking names from the competition.

Cons

Growth is always hard, and Talend is adding hundreds of people each year, which is always hard to get all those people integrated adding value. But so far so good. The SE's even recently hired are doing great POC work in just a few short months.

Advice to Management

Keep the enthusiasm alive, you have the right vision, just keep hiring great people and letting them execute.

"Professional Services Review"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I hardly can think of any pros.

Cons

PS managers think they work for services companies like CTS or accenture rather than for product company.
    Less consultants and more managers.
    No work life balance
    Sunday to Friday Travel
    Coast to Coast travel
    More non-technical engagements. Lot of PS consultants do on-site training for customers and less technical work.
    No consultant enablement or training provided.
    No support from internal teams like support or R&D or even fellow consultants. You will be on on your own on engagements with no help and you get fired for failed engagements.
    No career path.
    Too many politics for a company of this size.
    Engagements are not based on skill set , they are based on how close you are to your manager.
    Most employees doing stick here for more than 1-2 years.

Advice to Management

Change your mindset that you are working for a product company and not services company. Count the number of TAM and DM's you have vs number of consultants.
    Listen to the people who are traveling and doing hard work.

"Much talk, no action... stop the stack rankings"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Talend full-time

Pros

Comp plan is decent and many account execs are killing it here and achieving over quota. Good place to be if you have many years of experience in enterprise software. Lots of money to be made in big data.

Cons

Management claims transparency but they operate in a dishonest way. There was an external firm they hired to conduct a survey of how employees felt about Talend's culture. The results were tabulated, and the report was made available to all employees. Seems pretty transparent right? Since then, no action items have been taken to improve the culture at Talend other than the CEO claiming that it brought tears to his eyes during our recent Town Hall. There are rumors floating around that some of the employees who responded negatively to the survey did not receive a good performance review. Was the purpose of the survey really to improve things at Talend or was it to eliminate any and all dissent?

Advice to Management

These expensive consultants have made their reports. What will you do now to implement their suggestions to improve Talend's culture? The attrition rate is horrible. Stop the stack ranking during annual reviews - it is an outdated way of doing reviews, and other tech companies have done away with it several years ago. The CEO openly invites us to have a chat in his office-why would anyone do that and risk their job, given what just happened?

Talend Response

Jun 29, 2017 – CEO

I’m glad you see an opportunity to make a lot of money here at Talend, and believe we have the market, product, and comp plans to give everyone a great opportunity. But I’m sorry to see that you have... More

"Mismanaged"

I have been working at Talend full-time

Pros

Stock price is still above the opening IPO price...options are in the money. CFO has a good head on his shoulders.

Cons

Disjointed field marketing that can't seem to get its act together for simple campaigns and leaves those of us in sales feeling extremely frustrated. Engineering and product management has issues meeting what they've promised in their roadmap, and we've got to deal with the anger of our customers.

Advice to Management

Pull the product team out of the CMO and put them under the SVP for Customer Success. It would help with closed loop communication with the customer success managers. The CMO lacks the technical skillset to have product responsibilities. In the time I've been here, numerous ppl have quit in less than 6 months.

Consolidate all engineering offices to France for better information sharing and faster releases.

Take the demand gen ppl that do marketing automation and put them under the Director of Web for better synergy. The rest of the field mktg ppl can report to their VP.

Move all demand gen and prod marketing functions to Redwood, keep prod management in Europe.

CEO needs to have the guts to shake things up...right now he's maintaining the status quo in Marketing and Engineering and it's frustrating. if it weren't for my RVP, I'd be long gone by now.

Talend Response

Feb 7, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the kind words for Thomas, though I’m sorry that you’ve had a negative experience at Talend. I’m trying to fit the bulk of your feedback into my own experience at Talend over the last... More

6. "Great Memories, Good Place to Build Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Talend (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People in the early days
    Solid Product
    So many great memories and fun

Cons

Too top heavy in executive management

Advice to Management

Keep the culture solid, keep the excitement and invest in your good people and their careers.

"Client Services"

Pros

Extreme technology, on the bleeding edge of modern data management practices. If you want to learn the ins and outs of the data management business, work for Talend.

Cons

Lack of experienced resources, early post-IPO growing pains, non-transparent leadership.

Advice to Management

When you say you're being transparent, be transparent.

8. "Love everything, except..."

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Talend (More than a year)

Pros

When I started, it was refreshing to see the CEO take time to actually stop by the onboarding session to talk with the new employees. Coming from large organizations, this was definitely a welcome change.

A year into my time with the company, it's a great culture, product and has amazing people. More importantly, Mike Tuchen and our leadership have done an amazing job taking the company public. I know Mike reads these, so big Thank You for getting us through it.

Cons

Training took longer than I would have liked. But, usual growing pains as we go public; nothing troubling. Lastly, I really wish Talend offered paid paternity leave.

"Manager"

Pros

Exciting technology that will make a big impact in the big data market . Also great technical people who are great to work with

Cons

Very siloed and very weak internal communication which could be much better. It hard to deal with the time zone problems

Advice to Management

There is a need to upgrade the management team and address the geopgraphy problems. Be or visible to the whole company

"love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Very collaborative, motivated, and dedicated people. I've worked at several Bay Area companies and this is easily the best. I don't see different silos competing against each other -- everybody helps each other to get the best result for our customers.
    Management is very consistent about priorities. They are dedicated to making our customers more successful. They have a strategy and it makes sense!
    We have great products in the fast-growing Big Data market.

Cons

Like any fast-growing company, we have some growing pains. There is plenty of work to do, and it's hard to hire great people fast enough.