UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
UniFirst President and CEO Steven S. Sintros
Steven S. Sintros

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The training program is very structured and thorough (in 55 reviews)

• The job does not require you to work on nights or weekends allowing for a great work / life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Job can have long hours depending on how fast you're willing to work and is physically laboring (in 62 reviews)

• If this isn't your style as a sales rep, you will not be as successful (in 43 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I actually left UniFirst after a little less than 2 years. Most of the reps on the team I started with had left and I felt it was my turn. The grass was not greener. Was welcomed back and have been loving it ever since.

Potential to make six figures if you work hard and take advantage of commission multipliers. Very nice Presidents Club trip for top performers. Almost total and complete freedom to dictate your schedule (we are required to be in the office 1.5 days a week). One of the fastest growing locations within the company. Base salary, unlimited commissions, laptop, gas and cellphone allowance. Good training program and support from management. Opportunity for base salary pay raises and promotions your first year (major promotions into management typically require relocation). Not for everyone, but I truly love the job and the people I work with and for. CEO is as down to earth and humble as you can get. Regional Sales Manager is hands-on, energetic and helpful. Branch Manager is sales friendly (former U1st Sales Rep and Sales Manager) and a great motivator and mentor. Sales Manager is a former P-Club rep who knows the job. 2 Sales Reps, Sales Manager and Branch Manager all qualified for P-Club in 2017. Great sales culture!

Cons

It can be a grind. To make it to P-Club, you’ll put in some very early mornings and some very late nights on a very frequent basis. Lots of prospecting via cold calling, phone calls and emails. If you can’t handle rejection and cold calls, this is not the job for you.

Despite the high income potential and flexibility to dictate your schedule, turnover on the sales team has been high (service team has very low turnover). Selling products and services that most businesses place a low priority on can be tough, but it can be done. Many people leave too soon.

Advice to Management

Give your sales people the tools to help them succeed. New CRM is not user friendly, please work on improving and add iPhone functionality!

UniFirst Response

Mar 26, 2018 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your review and welcome back to the team! We often see UniFirst “family members” come back after exploring other opportunities and they say exactly the same thing. We guess that... More

2. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The best part of this job was always the team environment. The people I worked with were great. It was a competitive atmosphere but at the end of the day the senior reps always tried to help out the newer reps. Sales can be stressful but the team and my manager did a great job of mitigating stress especially when we were in the office.

- My manager was outstanding. Not only did she care about my professional development and helping me hit my "ramp ups" but she took a genuine interest in me as a person. All too often the sales world can look at you like a work horse, but my manager was the opposite of this. She cared about me as an individual which, in turn, allowed me to feel valued as an employee which translated into better work ethics and drive.

- UniFirst and specifically Indianapolis, UniFirst (location 082) fully supports military employees. As a memeber of the national guard, my drill weekends and training sometimes affected my work week. Unlike previous jobs I have had, where I felt anxiety about having to miss work and having to catch up after drill, my manager at UniFirst was understanding and patient.

- I can't reiterate enough how great the "team" feeling was that we had at UnIFirst. When they say it feels like a work family it's totally true.

Cons

- This job demands a lot and my manager was up front about that from day 1. This isn't necessarily a "con" but be prepared to work hard.

3. "Outside Sales"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid support systems, management is very helpful and hands on from a local level even up to a regional level. There is a lot of room for advancement within the company - they do almost always promote from within. Upon your first week of starting they lay out career paths that you can take and hitting ramp up bonuses by week 26 can put a nice piece of change in your pocket!! Everybody receives a protected territory by zipcode and a database that goes along with it that holds information from previous reps in the territory.

Cons

It is not easy - it can be a very difficult customer base and at the beginning building a pipeline seems very daunting. Lots of competition in the industry so you need to know how to sell against each competitor. There is a lot of information to understand to be able to put together a good program for a prospect. Not a lot of communication between different departments within the plant can sometimes cause confusion.

Advice to Management

Currently training focuses a lot of video conferences that are not very engaging and quite frankly not very informative. I think training would be much more beneficial if it were to be more hands on with role playing incorporated in. I also think that there should be more information on product knowledge and a foundation of how this industry works incorporated into training.

4. "Senior Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, from local plants/branches all the way up to the corporate level
    Great training program
    Management very helpful and want to see you grow within the company
    Can make good money with commission structure
    Good benefits package/401K match
    Challenging yet rewarding job

Cons

Hard work/time management to succeed, especially in first year
    A few different competitors in the industry so you have to learn to sell against them

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with listening to the needs of your employees, explaining the sales process, and helping employees grow within the company

5. "Great place to work. Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere. For someone looking to start a sales career, or have had some sales positions but never received the training you need, start here. I had two previous sales jobs with minimal training. In the first 5 weeks here I learned more than the two previous jobs combined. My Sales Manager is very helpful and seems to really care about my development.

Cons

Small stuff but you see that everywhere. Pros greatly outweigh any cons.

Advice to Management

More field time with my manager. I learn so much when we ride together. It's great!

6. "An incredibly challenging role. It rewards you both professionally and financially!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are capable of success or failure solely based off your own effort and execution. UniFirst will provide all the training and tools, but can not provide the grit.

Cons

Contractual sales are difficult. Often times your instant results are based off the previous representative’s work. This will remain true as you move up!

Advice to Management

Continue to coach and lead your team with an understanding of your team’s challenges.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, good pay, weekends off, good benefits, great company

Cons

Long hours, physically demanding, a lot of details to remember

8. "Nice company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family culture
    Lot of IT processes are relatively new
    Overall nice company to work for

Cons

Salary is not upto market standard
    No No to work from home

Advice to Management

Keep the good work going

9. "One of the most challenging and best company’s I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carmel, IN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Room to grow
    Consistent company growth
    Challenging
    Great incentives
    Full benefits
    Team atmosphere
    Family culture
    Advanced classes for personal growth
    Team mentors
    Great 401k plan
    Everyone no matter what their position is, is always willing to help you make that sale!

Cons

Challenging competitors
    Phone blocks during the day
    A lot of cold calling
    Challenging products sometimes to sale
    Not the most glamorous work sites to visit

10. "District Service Manager"

Current Employee - District Service Manager in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - District Service Manager in Evansville, IN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits. Mon-Fri, family atmosphere.

Cons

Long hours, travel, no real complaints