UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
UniFirst President and CEO Steven S. Sintros
Steven S. Sintros

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 52 reviews)

• This company is a great company to work for (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 57 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place To Grow"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at UniFirst for 2 years and have had some of my best moments working for this company. They allow their outside sales reps freedom to make things happen. The training at UniFirst is second to none and can propel a hardworking individual to the top of their game. As a sales rep having a strong company with a strong reputation makes your job a lot simpler. UniFirst has family core values that transcend locations.

Cons

There is no company that is perfect, nor will they please every customer all the time. UniFirst is very proactive when it comes to any opportunity that jeopardizes the relationship.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open minded

UniFirst Response

Dec 5, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for the review! We take a lot of pride in our training programs and the career paths available for our Team Partners. We are happy to hear that you’ve experienced the “family” culture and... More

2. "Great"

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Money Maker, Family culture, tools to succeed.

Cons

No cons, has a lot of opportunity to make money.

3. "Overall a good experience."

Pros

Can be lucrative, but be prepared to work hard.

Cons

Selling uniforms and FS can be boring.

"Senior Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I actually left UniFirst after a little less than 2 years. Most of the reps on the team I started with had left and I felt it was my turn. The grass was not greener. Was welcomed back and have been loving it ever since.

Potential to make six figures if you work hard and take advantage of commission multipliers. Very nice Presidents Club trip for top performers. Almost total and complete freedom to dictate your schedule (we are required to be in the office 1.5 days a week). One of the fastest growing locations within the company. Base salary, unlimited commissions, laptop, gas and cellphone allowance. Good training program and support from management. Opportunity for base salary pay raises and promotions your first year (major promotions into management typically require relocation). Not for everyone, but I truly love the job and the people I work with and for. CEO is as down to earth and humble as you can get. Regional Sales Manager is hands-on, energetic and helpful. Branch Manager is sales friendly (former U1st Sales Rep and Sales Manager) and a great motivator and mentor. Sales Manager is a former P-Club rep who knows the job. 2 Sales Reps, Sales Manager and Branch Manager all qualified for P-Club in 2017. Great sales culture!

Cons

It can be a grind. To make it to P-Club, you’ll put in some very early mornings and some very late nights on a very frequent basis. Lots of prospecting via cold calling, phone calls and emails. If you can’t handle rejection and cold calls, this is not the job for you.

Despite the high income potential and flexibility to dictate your schedule, turnover on the sales team has been high (service team has very low turnover). Selling products and services that most businesses place a low priority on can be tough, but it can be done. Many people leave too soon.

Advice to Management

Give your sales people the tools to help them succeed. New CRM is not user friendly, please work on improving and add iPhone functionality!

"District Service Supervisor"

Current Employee - District Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - District Service Supervisor

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would first like to say that a majority of the pro's and con's of this job is branch specific. The pro's are that the job pays somewhat well considering the requirements, since they're technically are none. The job keeps you in shape. You get to be outside often, which when the temps are good is a pro. You also see a variety of businesses and people; if you're a people person and curious in general this is a pro. I've been to so many different niche businesses that have been in my area my whole life that I never knew about. At my branch I generally like all of my co-workers which is always a plus. You don't "technically" work weekends or nights (after 6) and you have vacation days plus holidays. For personal reasons I have not taken any benefits so I cannot comment on those.

Cons

The pay is also a con; for how much you work it is not much pay. Once again this is technically branch specific but I have talked to DSS's from other branches who work the same amount of hours. You would also make more from just being a Route Driver. The fleet of UniFirst in general as a whole is poor. Laughingly poor honestly. Not only is your safety sometimes in danger but the temperature can be a con - most trucks do not have a/c and the heat barely works in some of then. A large part of this job is filling in for the route drivers when they are on vacation. This is often a frustrating experience as you do not know what is going on on their route. They will try and inform you but inevitably forget something and the customer will see it as your fault. Lastly if you are a branch that does not have the wash facility and must send your items to a central hub you ( the hub) will lose product constantly which results in headaches and problems on your end.

Advice to Management

1. Allocate more funds to fix your fleet. Or send random audits for fleet quality, in case it is just the BM or GM being cheap on repairs. The job can be tough enough without having to wonder if your truck will make it through the day without breaking down or wrecking.

2. Hold the managers at the actual wash facilities more accountable. When garments or special linens are constantly lost it makes it impossible for RSR's to do their job properly. It is discouraging and disheartening for them to not be able to satisfy their customer due to things completely out of control, week after week.

3. Either pay this position more, put a limit on the hours, or change the title. As it stands, and again I know this is branch specific, this position is not setup to align people with moving into a DSM position. Their are too many hours required for the pay, when they could easily move to sales or a RSR position. This company as a whole as great but could use some serious structural changes if they ever want to be a serious competitor to Cintas.

6. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, the best training . and very good benefits.

Cons

Driving to many miles every day...

7. "Awesome environment!"

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

A positive place to work where there's good support to help you grow!

Cons

Sometimes new ideas takes long to implement

Advice to Management

Give ideas a trial run where possible then decide whether or not it is feasible

8. "Sales"

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Great for getting information for my work

Cons

Having to open an account

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "Excellent management"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The local management team really does care if you secede,
    Will go out of there way usually to make sure you have everything you need to in order to do your job

Cons

The regional management could care less about you you are nothing but a statistic and and sort of have this I am god mentality

Advice to Management

Local management- great job!!
    Regional management- get over yourselves, we work for a uniform company not the NSA!!!

"RSR Route Sales Representative"

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building professional rapport with customer

Cons

Handling of soiled uniforms, terrycloths, and shop towels