UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst President and CEO Steven S. Sintros
Steven S. Sintros

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The only down side is long hours" (in 67 reviews)

• "Ive been in Sales a while and feel that this place is truly impossible to be a successful sales rep" (in 43 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I actually left UniFirst after a little less than 2 years. Most of the reps on the team I started with had left and I felt it was my turn. The grass was not greener. Was welcomed back and have been loving it ever since.

Potential to make six figures if you work hard and take advantage of commission multipliers. Very nice Presidents Club trip for top performers. Almost total and complete freedom to dictate your schedule (we are required to be in the office 1.5 days a week). One of the fastest growing locations within the company. Base salary, unlimited commissions, laptop, gas and cellphone allowance. Good training program and support from management. Opportunity for base salary pay raises and promotions your first year (major promotions into management typically require relocation). Not for everyone, but I truly love the job and the people I work with and for. CEO is as down to earth and humble as you can get. Regional Sales Manager is hands-on, energetic and helpful. Branch Manager is sales friendly (former U1st Sales Rep and Sales Manager) and a great motivator and mentor. Sales Manager is a former P-Club rep who knows the job. 2 Sales Reps, Sales Manager and Branch Manager all qualified for P-Club in 2017. Great sales culture!

Cons

It can be a grind. To make it to P-Club, you’ll put in some very early mornings and some very late nights on a very frequent basis. Lots of prospecting via cold calling, phone calls and emails. If you can’t handle rejection and cold calls, this is not the job for you.

Despite the high income potential and flexibility to dictate your schedule, turnover on the sales team has been high (service team has very low turnover). Selling products and services that most businesses place a low priority on can be tough, but it can be done. Many people leave too soon.

Advice to Management

Give your sales people the tools to help them succeed. New CRM is not user friendly, please work on improving and add iPhone functionality!

UniFirst Response

Mar 26, 2018 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your review and welcome back to the team! We often see UniFirst “family members” come back after exploring other opportunities and they say exactly the same thing. We guess that... More

2. "Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for career growth within the company and lots of opportunities to make some good money if you are willing to work and follow the sales process. Management is very much wanting and willing to help you improve your skills and give support. The people here are also great, and everyone leans on each other for advice on how to handle certain situations, where to find information or things in the plant, and insight on how competitors are performing in other parts of the city. You also have your own protected territory - which is always a plus.

Cons

Can get a little hectic and can be easy to fall behind if you do not keep up with admin work - lots of information to know and be able to explain to prospects.

Advice to Management

None - management does a very good job of asking employees of their opinions on what works and what does not. When I say it is easy to talk to management, I mean it - they make a point to be reachable and extremely helpful. When I told them I was moving out of state to return home, both my sales manager and general manager were extremely understanding and willing to work with me and my timeline to assure that I would have an easy transition.

3. "decent"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good money decent work environment

Cons

production floor is not well ventilated

4. "Maintenance Supervisor"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Wichita, KS

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, 401K match, Seems to be trying to improve in several areas of business.

Cons

They take advantage of salary employees by not allowing you to have enough team members to get jobs complete, therefor you end up working 14-16 hour days very frequently. Upper management at the Wichita location does not appreciate anything you do, even when it amounts to 20K in electricity savings a year.

Advice to Management

Show genuine appreciation for jobs well done. Listen to front line supervisors in needs to be successful and support them.

5. "Sales representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Little Rock, AR

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

B2B experience, medical companies love to get reps from here.
    Great experience for new sales reps.

Cons

It’s a grind to be successful. 8-5pm.
    Management watches over your activity

6. "Great company to make you home."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bohemia, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bohemia, NY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great continuous training. Family oriented culture. Company genuinely cares about it customers just as much it cares for it employees. The job itself has it great and difficult times but I am surrounded by a team that is always willing to help. Happy to call this place my home.

Cons

As a sales professional I wish every customer says yes but I can certainly take my nos like a champ.

Advice to Management

More team activities, it only strengthen us.

"Good company with different management ideologies."

Former Employee - Assistant Production Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Production Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of paid holidays, nice pay, weekends off, free work polos and slacks.

Cons

Relocation is required for advancement, sales and service will not work with production department, the holiday schedule for production and service is a nightmare. Insurance is crazy expensive and is not very good.

Advice to Management

Cut back on all the repetitive yearly training and offer better insurance.

8. "Route Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My customers are like family. Pay is great for schedule and work

Cons

Support help is non-existent from plant. Schedule is not good for someone who is not an early riser. Work environments vary.

9. "Toxic Local Culture"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New pay plan is a step in right direction

Cons

Local management chooses to run branch much different than the rest of the company.
    Top management leads through fear not reason
    Pass the buck mentality, no real answers provided
    Never good enough, always wanting more.
    High turnover due to toxic culture

Advice to Management

This company as a whole has a lot of positive things going for it but this branch is not what UniFirst is about. Until there is restructure from the top it’s going to be hard for employees to conform to an ever changing landscape and expectations. Learn to treat your employees with respect, don’t use fear as a management tool, and learn to be proactive and positive once in a while. You’ll attract a lot more bees with honey.

10. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a very family friendly atmosphere, and management really takes the time to invest in your success. Wants to build strong management and promote.

Cons

The turnover rate it very high, both for management and for reps, so while you may get accustomed to working with a specific team/manager, it's very likely that they may be gone very soon.

Showing 694 of 1,038 reviews