UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst President and CEO Steven S. Sintros
Steven S. Sintros

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Job can have long hours depending on how fast you're willing to work and is physically laboring" (in 65 reviews)

• "If this isn't your style as a sales rep, you will not be as successful" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I actually left UniFirst after a little less than 2 years. Most of the reps on the team I started with had left and I felt it was my turn. The grass was not greener. Was welcomed back and have been loving it ever since.

Potential to make six figures if you work hard and take advantage of commission multipliers. Very nice Presidents Club trip for top performers. Almost total and complete freedom to dictate your schedule (we are required to be in the office 1.5 days a week). One of the fastest growing locations within the company. Base salary, unlimited commissions, laptop, gas and cellphone allowance. Good training program and support from management. Opportunity for base salary pay raises and promotions your first year (major promotions into management typically require relocation). Not for everyone, but I truly love the job and the people I work with and for. CEO is as down to earth and humble as you can get. Regional Sales Manager is hands-on, energetic and helpful. Branch Manager is sales friendly (former U1st Sales Rep and Sales Manager) and a great motivator and mentor. Sales Manager is a former P-Club rep who knows the job. 2 Sales Reps, Sales Manager and Branch Manager all qualified for P-Club in 2017. Great sales culture!

Cons

It can be a grind. To make it to P-Club, you’ll put in some very early mornings and some very late nights on a very frequent basis. Lots of prospecting via cold calling, phone calls and emails. If you can’t handle rejection and cold calls, this is not the job for you.

Despite the high income potential and flexibility to dictate your schedule, turnover on the sales team has been high (service team has very low turnover). Selling products and services that most businesses place a low priority on can be tough, but it can be done. Many people leave too soon.

Advice to Management

Give your sales people the tools to help them succeed. New CRM is not user friendly, please work on improving and add iPhone functionality!

UniFirst Response

Mar 26, 2018 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your review and welcome back to the team! We often see UniFirst “family members” come back after exploring other opportunities and they say exactly the same thing. We guess that... More

2. "Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for career growth within the company and lots of opportunities to make some good money if you are willing to work and follow the sales process. Management is very much wanting and willing to help you improve your skills and give support. The people here are also great, and everyone leans on each other for advice on how to handle certain situations, where to find information or things in the plant, and insight on how competitors are performing in other parts of the city. You also have your own protected territory - which is always a plus.

Cons

Can get a little hectic and can be easy to fall behind if you do not keep up with admin work - lots of information to know and be able to explain to prospects.

Advice to Management

None - management does a very good job of asking employees of their opinions on what works and what does not. When I say it is easy to talk to management, I mean it - they make a point to be reachable and extremely helpful. When I told them I was moving out of state to return home, both my sales manager and general manager were extremely understanding and willing to work with me and my timeline to assure that I would have an easy transition.

3. "Tech 1"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Taylor, MI

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401k match. Does not work weekends.

Cons

health insurance is expensive. No over time.

Advice to Management

get better health coverage

4. "Its a good company"

Current Employee - Shirt Press in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Shirt Press in Springfield, MO

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people will work with you

Cons

Need higher wages no way to advance in the company

5. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training, Culture, Benefits, and Work Life Balance

Cons

Waiting Period for Benefits and not great maternity/paternity policy (that's me nitpicking)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Great Training"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They invest a lot on you in training.

Cons

I can't think of any cons with this company. I really enjoy working for UniFirst

Advice to Management

none

7. "Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Internship in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Internship in Boston, MA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about the industry and received great guidance from the management team.

Cons

Pay was low. At times the Internship was disorganized.

Advice to Management

Have more company events outside of work! The culture could be better

8. "National Accounts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, people, work-life balance, manager. Flexible and understanding to things that come up in people's life outside of work.

Cons

No summer Friday's, no gym in MA corporate office, a bit of an "old-school" culture

9. "District Service Manager"

Current Employee - District Service Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - District Service Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I personally feel like part of the Unifirst family. Benefits are great, and I love working with the people here. I think we have come a long way from when I first started here. I have had the privilege of working under some great leaders before me and was able to learn and continually grow to get better each and every day. I feel I am still learning new things everyday and we have a great team to grow.

Cons

As any job has its ups and downs there are some early mornings and late nights with this position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Morale. Friendly competitions, lunches and compliment daily on all good things done by the team.

10. "Results and rewards"

Current Employee - Sales in Garden City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales in Garden City, KS

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I been employed for 11 months and in this short time I have seen and most important felt the support of the entire company, I am getting ready to be send to more training at corporate to take my selling skills to another level, the environment is really upbeat and full of positivism.
    The ramp up bonuses really help economically until you start seeing results on your sales (because training takes a while to finish)

Cons

It takes a while to start seeing results (pay check), but after a few months if you stick with it you will be happy you waited.

Advice to Management

I am really grateful specially at my GM (Joey Ramos) for all he has done to help me succeed and help me with my pay, sales and training.

Showing 687 of 1,026 reviews