WeWork Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
WeWork Founder and CEO Adam Neumann
Adam Neumann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "No uniform/grooming requirements, summer camp, summit, free beer, community involvement" (in 19 reviews)

• "Relaxed work environment with the opportunity to work from home" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "past pace gives no work life balance" (in 34 reviews)

• "Long hours, rapid growth means the organization is ever evolving" (in 41 reviews)

"Incredible ride and opportunity to have an impact on the world"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission.
    Inspiring leadership.
    Socially conscious organization.
    Lots of incredible challenges to solve.
    You're working on a product that you use, and talk to customers every single day.
    Collaborative culture.

Cons

This is a crazy startup, so you need to be comfortable with change and rapid iteration.
    Benefits could be better.

"A La La Land Like No Other"

Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY cool HQ--beer, fruit water, and other treats on tap, free breakfast, amazing decor, lots of events and cool trendy vendors who bring free stuff--if you like to humblebrag via Insta, you'll love this place.

Some cool people --celebrities come in and out, your colleagues are generally very attractive folks, there's a sense of excitement and true commitment to the work (borderline evangelism) depending on who you work with and what you do.

Name recognition and valuation -- company is a rising star and it's worth having on your resume.

A cool mission on the surface--bringing community together, helping people do what they love (making work a passion rather than a chore) through connection.

Cons

This place is like drinking from one continuous Kool-Aid jug. VERY cult-y and cliquey. You are either in or you're out, and if you're out, rather than cut you loose right away, they gaslight you. It's actually kind of shocking how many people I've seen be treated so poorly here, and perhaps no coincidence that they were folks of color.

Kind of hard to find the down to earth people I did find. I enjoyed the Community teams and Security/Ops/Real Estate people I met, probably because they were constantly "hustling," but the HR team (the PEOPLE team, for goodness sake) and a lot of other "prominent" faces were consistently rude, with an overinflated sense of self and zero idea of how the WeWork "values" translate into behaviors/contributions from a prospective employee POV.

You have to have been there since the start, or be prepared to ingratiate yourself, to get any traction in your professional development or career path. I was always shocked how badly my manager wanted to be liked, and how much they were willing to do to be liked, to get any kind of clout and/or promotion just bc they hadn't started out at WeWork as a community team member. Never mind that they were super qualified for their job.

Pay varies depending on who you are; some people earn market value...some people very very much don't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency that determines which is which.

TGIM. Thank God it's Monday. Mandatory Monday meetings. Sometimes they circulate tequila shots. Is that a plus? Not sure.

Summer Camp. Adult Summer Camp. With EDM, people in salmon colored shorts, and lots of loud rowdy entitled folks. If that's anything but a con for you, you probably belong here and godspeed.

Advice to Management

Honestly, whatever you can do to create more authenticity in people, in the feel of the company, do it. Create meaning and purpose for everyone--help them see how what they do actually matters. And maybe actually institute meaningful performance management measures.

"Opportunities abound in the PNW"

Current Employee - Community Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Thriving (and growing) Community Team
    - Opportunities to grow and challenge yourself
    - Incredible leadership that is committed to you personally and professionally
    - People first culture
    - Fantastic company for people who thrive on creating opportunities for others and solving the growth related challenges

Cons

As with any company that is growing at a rapid rate, we are learning, adjusting and re-engineering as we grow which translates to periods of rapid change and/or higher than normal levels of ambiguity. For some that can be a con, for others, this is where the opportunity to build for the future begins.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in evolving the benefits packages (401k matching, floating holidays, parking benefits for traveling roles, and total pay).

"Very few opportunities like this will come around in your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For those looking to join a fast-paced, collaborative and unique company look no further.

In the startup/venture-backed world of companies, most times companies have a great idea might have bad management and can have a limited supply of capital. In other circumstances, companies have a bad idea, mediocre management and somehow end up raising a good amount of capital, that usually is mismanaged and doesn't last.

At WeWork you have a once in a lifetime opportunity: an incredible idea, with incredible management and a very strong capitalization that allows you to be the best always. Not to forget, a total addressable market that's in the trillions of dollars which make the magnitude of the opportunity larger than anything currently in the market.

So what does this mean? If you're looking to grow your career, be part of something big, contribute to a hugely innovative concept and surround yourself with like-minded individuals that love what they do, then you've arrived at WeWork.

No other startup/venture funded company in the world right now can offer all of the abovementioned variables and prove it's equity is going to be worth a lot for you soon. Any place else, it's just money on paper.

Bottom line; think wisely when you pick your next company...I did and it was easy to pick WeWork!

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility, but that's not really a con if you're looking to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Continue to leverage your advisor, do what you're doing while maintaining the transparency that makes WeWork an incredible place to work at.

"Not perfect, but striving to get there"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WeWork is a mission led company that helps every employee make an impact on their team, the company and their city in a way I’ve never seen before.

I’ve been able to have an impact and grow here more than I ever imagined.

The benefits continue to get better, the compensation is in line with market, the culture is absolutely amazing and the people are second to none. We move fast and try new things constantly. You could literally have 3 careers at WeWork there is so much opportunity.

Cons

We are still trying to figure out work/life balance, compensation that is reflective of value and impact and how we maintain our growth trajectory.

Advice to Management

Continue to push on elevating the employee experience, recognition, and how to figure out the right mix of work and life.

"Disaster from Start to Finish"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free food and beverages
    - Trendy (but overcrowded) office with a barista
    - Access to all WeWork locations (clean bathroom all over NYC)
    - Wellness initiatives like yoga and massages
    - Good pay & benefits

Cons

Don't work here. Seriously - just don't do it. I regret not taking the Glassdoor reviews more seriously. This place is a cult and you're either drinking the Kool Aid or you're not. It felt like high school. If you're not "popular" or have a senior title people will make you feel like you don't matter. As with any organization, there's a lot of politics going on. However, WeWork takes it to another level. I found the majority of the people at HQ to be extremely entitled - literally berating the community team if the coffee tap on the 6th floor wasn't working. Most managers are in jobs they are not qualified for and were extremely poor leaders which led to many unhappy and discouraged employees. This is the kind of place that doesn't value your worth until you're half way out the door.

Don't let them fool you about WeWork Summer Camp. It is NOT in London and getting there is a pain. Yes, it is an experience unlike any other but it was GROSS (filthy to the point that people were having panic attacks). So many people had 10+ hour flights only to arrive and not be fed for hours. Lots of immature behavior exhibited by people of all ages.

This place needs to get it together.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their actions. If a manager cannot led, don't let them be a manager. It's that simple.

"Growing Technology Company"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WeWork is heavily investing in technology, both from a product perspective and as an organization. This means that there are significant opportunities to impact the technology landscape in ways that will affect the next 5-10 years of company success.

The way the company is going about this massive technology organization growth is aggressive, but healthy from my perspective. Leadership has past experience guiding their principals, but they are trusting the entire organization to deliver and grow in excellence and success.

Cons

There is a risk as the technology org grows rapidly that mis-steps will be made. Historic context implies that this risk is not insignificant, despite current leadership successfully instilling confidence in the direction of the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to double down on investing in technological excellence. Ideally metrics related to good engineering practices and adoption of new technologies can somehow be added into the product goals and OKRs to assist in rationalizing the product "cost" necessary, particularly for existing technology products.

"Senior Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of challenging problems to work on and career opportunities to grow.

Very strong leadership at the top of the technology organization. Senior leadership comes from top companies like Spotify, Amazon, Twitter, and Google.

Many engineering projects are very greenfield so we get to use cutting-edge technologies like Kubernetes, Istio, Go, Kotlin, etc.

Cons

The company is hypergrowth so there is lots of uncertainty. Sometimes this leads to last minute projects to allow the business to succeed.

Summer camp is weird, the company needs to grow up a bit and cool it on the partying.

Aren't yet competitive with perks.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve and hire top talent at the top in all areas of the company. It is a slow process but the overall talent is improving.

"Somewhat good opportunity...but beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company, opportunities to network, events, most of your peers are outstanding and talented individuals. Fast-paced (if that works for you).

Cons

I can't say much more that hasn't already been said in other reviews. Rampant nepotism, constant pivoting, enormous egos at the C level. Sub-par HR department ("sub-par" is generous.) Make no mistake-they are there to protect the company, not the employees. < Read the article about sexual harassment. 100% true, I was with the company at the time it happened. > Also read the reviews about interviews, that will tell you a lot about how disorganized they are. HR's disorganization is not entirely their fault, every 5 seconds another executive is barking at them for some new ridiculous thing they need immediately. Which is also common for any department. Get used to pouring all of your energy into something that someone demands at any second IMMEDIATELY just to have them blow you off the second you've completed the now-irrelevant task. Get used to working 7 days/week or at least being on call at ALL times. 1am, 4 am, New Years Day, your wedding day - doesn't matter. Very cult-like as well. Either drink the koolaid or be considered "not a team player".

The short of it is - if you're willing to devote your entire life, soul, energy, and youth to your job with less than market standard salary and if you don't mind being verbally (and hopefully not physically, but..) abused, then by all means. If you value work/life balance, meaningful career trajectory, meaningful mentoring and a respectful workplace, just don't.

Advice to Management

None they would take to heart at this point, internally they think they're flawless. The ship is too big to turn around now.

"Culture! Nashville!"

Current Employee - Community Director in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Community Director in Nashville, TN

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like a mission Driven company that allows you to be autonomous, entrepreneurial, and inspired then this is the perfect place to be. WeWork has allowed me and our team to develop processes to help grow our local members and community. The transparency of the team and the integration of our corporate team is close to none. It is extremely easy to contact figure heads to get answers and solutions, and when are is not one you are empowered to be apart of creating solutions. Our company is very diverse. Being an African american man in a leadership position is empowering, as well as honored as WeWork values different backgrounds and experiences. My 2 years at WeWork has truly been great and has empowered me to work to create things greater than myself. Previously working for Apple and Nike afforded me the opportunity to be apart of companies that have a great brand. But WeWork is much more than that. I have referred tons of colleagues who joined WeWork and have loved it as well. If you are looking to grow, and help growth then WeWork is a great place to be.

Cons

What ever Cons I bring up would eventually turn into opportunities to grow. Example would be development of more processes as we are a new company. In learning more about this what I have suggested for solutions for these have been implemented! So I see any issues we have experienced as a change to express and develop what the solution could be. Our leadership teams have been extremely receptive.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower the team to develop, grow, and create solutions. We will continue to get the best solutions from our team!