WeWork Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
WeWork Founder and CEO Adam Neumann
Adam Neumann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you like company events, the summer camp and annual summit will excite you" (in 18 reviews)

• "Relaxed work environment with the opportunity to work from home" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "past pace gives no work life balance" (in 31 reviews)

• "Long hours, rapid growth means the organization is ever evolving" (in 36 reviews)

"Culture! Nashville!"

Current Employee - Community Director in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Community Director in Nashville, TN

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like a mission Driven company that allows you to be autonomous, entrepreneurial, and inspired then this is the perfect place to be. WeWork has allowed me and our team to develop processes to help grow our local members and community. The transparency of the team and the integration of our corporate team is close to none. It is extremely easy to contact figure heads to get answers and solutions, and when are is not one you are empowered to be apart of creating solutions. Our company is very diverse. Being an African american man in a leadership position is empowering, as well as honored as WeWork values different backgrounds and experiences. My 2 years at WeWork has truly been great and has empowered me to work to create things greater than myself. Previously working for Apple and Nike afforded me the opportunity to be apart of companies that have a great brand. But WeWork is much more than that. I have referred tons of colleagues who joined WeWork and have loved it as well. If you are looking to grow, and help growth then WeWork is a great place to be.

Cons

What ever Cons I bring up would eventually turn into opportunities to grow. Example would be development of more processes as we are a new company. In learning more about this what I have suggested for solutions for these have been implemented! So I see any issues we have experienced as a change to express and develop what the solution could be. Our leadership teams have been extremely receptive.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower the team to develop, grow, and create solutions. We will continue to get the best solutions from our team!

"A La La Land Like No Other"

Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY cool HQ--beer, fruit water, and other treats on tap, free breakfast, amazing decor, lots of events and cool trendy vendors who bring free stuff--if you like to humblebrag via Insta, you'll love this place.

Some cool people --celebrities come in and out, your colleagues are generally very attractive folks, there's a sense of excitement and true commitment to the work (borderline evangelism) depending on who you work with and what you do.

Name recognition and valuation -- company is a rising star and it's worth having on your resume.

A cool mission on the surface--bringing community together, helping people do what they love (making work a passion rather than a chore) through connection.

Cons

This place is like drinking from one continuous Kool-Aid jug. VERY cult-y and cliquey. You are either in or you're out, and if you're out, rather than cut you loose right away, they gaslight you. It's actually kind of shocking how many people I've seen be treated so poorly here, and perhaps no coincidence that they were folks of color.

Kind of hard to find the down to earth people I did find. I enjoyed the Community teams and Security/Ops/Real Estate people I met, probably because they were constantly "hustling," but the HR team (the PEOPLE team, for goodness sake) and a lot of other "prominent" faces were consistently rude, with an overinflated sense of self and zero idea of how the WeWork "values" translate into behaviors/contributions from a prospective employee POV.

You have to have been there since the start, or be prepared to ingratiate yourself, to get any traction in your professional development or career path. I was always shocked how badly my manager wanted to be liked, and how much they were willing to do to be liked, to get any kind of clout and/or promotion just bc they hadn't started out at WeWork as a community team member. Never mind that they were super qualified for their job.

Pay varies depending on who you are; some people earn market value...some people very very much don't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency that determines which is which.

TGIM. Thank God it's Monday. Mandatory Monday meetings. Sometimes they circulate tequila shots. Is that a plus? Not sure.

Summer Camp. Adult Summer Camp. With EDM, people in salmon colored shorts, and lots of loud rowdy entitled folks. If that's anything but a con for you, you probably belong here and godspeed.

Advice to Management

Honestly, whatever you can do to create more authenticity in people, in the feel of the company, do it. Create meaning and purpose for everyone--help them see how what they do actually matters. And maybe actually institute meaningful performance management measures.

3. "Hitting the lottery"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the fastest growing companies in the world.
    Every person you meet loves their job.
    Super talented group of individuals.
    Your feedback creates real change and you are listened to.
    You will learn and stay busy as the company continues to break growth records.
    A common phrase is, “joining WeWork is one of the best decisions I have ever made”.

Cons

There is a significant time commitment when compared to a traditional software sales position, but that is offset with less travel.

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me this opportunity!

"Disaster from Start to Finish"

I worked at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free food and beverages
    - Trendy (but overcrowded) office with a barista
    - Access to all WeWork locations (clean bathroom all over NYC)
    - Wellness initiatives like yoga and massages
    - Good pay & benefits

Cons

Don't work here. Seriously - just don't do it. I regret not taking the Glassdoor reviews more seriously. This place is a cult and you're either drinking the Kool Aid or you're not. It felt like high school. If you're not "popular" or have a senior title people will make you feel like you don't matter. As with any organization, there's a lot of politics going on. However, WeWork takes it to another level. I found the majority of the people at HQ to be extremely entitled - literally berating the community team if the coffee tap on the 6th floor wasn't working. Most managers are in jobs they are not qualified for and were extremely poor leaders which led to many unhappy and discouraged employees. This is the kind of place that doesn't value your worth until you're half way out the door.

Don't let them fool you about WeWork Summer Camp. It is NOT in London and getting there is a pain. Yes, it is an experience unlike any other but it was GROSS (filthy to the point that people were having panic attacks). So many people had 10+ hour flights only to arrive and not be fed for hours. Lots of immature behavior exhibited by people of all ages.

This place needs to get it together.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their actions. If a manager cannot led, don't let them be a manager. It's that simple.

"Great potential with growing pains"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of green-field projects with potential for high organizational impact
    - Friendly, inclusive culture in the Technology group
    - Senior engineers from diverse backgrounds to learn from (ex Google, Facebook, Twitter, various startups)
    - Opportunity to learn and work with new technologies: Kubernetes, Istio, Kafka, Go, Kotlin...

Cons

- Organizationally still chaotic, in transition from scrappy startup to a more professional engineering culture
    - Lots of fires and panics caused by flaky older infrastructure that is not appropriately managed
    - SF, NYC and Tel Aviv offices
    - Somewhat cultish, preachy behavior at the top of the company

6. "associate community manager"

I worked at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun, young company with cool people

Cons

long hours and sometimes a lack of structure

"Community Lead"

Current Employee - Community Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, people, work-life balance

Cons

At times, lack of organization/structure

"Forget getting hired here"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cult environment with free water and coffee

Cons

It is the most white washed work place I’ve seen, there’s maybe 1% people of color in we works unless they are cleaning or doing labor, I haven’t seen one community manager that’s not from the burbs and white here

Advice to Management

Diversify your staff really like its 2018

"Worst professional experience of my career, on every level. Don’t believe the hype, stay away as much as possible."

I worked at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The health coverage, maybe. Besides that, nothing else.

Cons

No connection, no direction, no support. A laughable sense of messianic mission, a cultish culture of and for immature teenagers.

Advice to Management

What management?

"WeWork is a Worthwhile Experience"

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WeWork is a booming company full of people that are excited to contribute to it's growth. They offer many employee benefits including free food and catering (all the time for all events). On top of all of the fruit, coffee, and fruit water you could ever drink, WeWork offers employee engagement events including World Cup viewings, Women of WeWork gatherings, Summer Camp and Global Summit. They really promote employee wellness.

Cons

Although they promote so much employee wellness, it is not always followed through on. I don't know anyone who hasn't felt incredibly overworked and drained. A billion dollar company is still operating as a startup and is cannot hire quickly enough to support the workload. Although they are hiring at a fast rate, the new hires' managers are people who have only been at WeWork anywhere from 6 months to 1 year, and often don't know enough about the company and it's history and operating procedures to truly inform new hires. Because of these feelings of overworking and being burned out, many people stay at WeWork for shorter periods of time. Anyone who has been at WeWork for 2+ years is looked at as a "veteran".