WeWork Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
WeWork Founder and CEO Adam Neumann
Adam Neumann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I flew out to 4 major cities throughout my time there and Summer Camp was awesome" (in 17 reviews)

• "Free beer, pretty wallpaper, people will think you're "cool" for working at a" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is almost nonexistent when you're in the community team; i clocked in" (in 30 reviews)

• "You work long hours, especially in community" (in 34 reviews)

"Community Lead"

Current Employee - Community Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, people, work-life balance

Cons

At times, lack of organization/structure

"A La La Land Like No Other"

Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY cool HQ--beer, fruit water, and other treats on tap, free breakfast, amazing decor, lots of events and cool trendy vendors who bring free stuff--if you like to humblebrag via Insta, you'll love this place.

Some cool people --celebrities come in and out, your colleagues are generally very attractive folks, there's a sense of excitement and true commitment to the work (borderline evangelism) depending on who you work with and what you do.

Name recognition and valuation -- company is a rising star and it's worth having on your resume.

A cool mission on the surface--bringing community together, helping people do what they love (making work a passion rather than a chore) through connection.

Cons

This place is like drinking from one continuous Kool-Aid jug. VERY cult-y and cliquey. You are either in or you're out, and if you're out, rather than cut you loose right away, they gaslight you. It's actually kind of shocking how many people I've seen be treated so poorly here, and perhaps no coincidence that they were folks of color.

Kind of hard to find the down to earth people I did find. I enjoyed the Community teams and Security/Ops/Real Estate people I met, probably because they were constantly "hustling," but the HR team (the PEOPLE team, for goodness sake) and a lot of other "prominent" faces were consistently rude, with an overinflated sense of self and zero idea of how the WeWork "values" translate into behaviors/contributions from a prospective employee POV.

You have to have been there since the start, or be prepared to ingratiate yourself, to get any traction in your professional development or career path. I was always shocked how badly my manager wanted to be liked, and how much they were willing to do to be liked, to get any kind of clout and/or promotion just bc they hadn't started out at WeWork as a community team member. Never mind that they were super qualified for their job.

Pay varies depending on who you are; some people earn market value...some people very very much don't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency that determines which is which.

TGIM. Thank God it's Monday. Mandatory Monday meetings. Sometimes they circulate tequila shots. Is that a plus? Not sure.

Summer Camp. Adult Summer Camp. With EDM, people in salmon colored shorts, and lots of loud rowdy entitled folks. If that's anything but a con for you, you probably belong here and godspeed.

Advice to Management

Honestly, whatever you can do to create more authenticity in people, in the feel of the company, do it. Create meaning and purpose for everyone--help them see how what they do actually matters. And maybe actually institute meaningful performance management measures.

"Unfortunately Racist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company to be growing quickly and establishing itself as a firm to watch in the CRE industry. The perks are a plus.

Cons

I must admit that I expected more from WeWork. It seemed like an exciting place to work.

Sadly they are falling in line with the same narrow-minded behavior that plagues all real estate firms in NYC. The black employees are mostly viewed as expendable support staff and nothing more.

If you are a person of color who is qualified enough to make it through the interview process here, they will likely offer you a salary below your market rate but still expect the same level of production as your counterparts.

When the industry talks about diversity and progressive work culture, they are rarely referring to racial diversity. The overwhelming “whiteness” in Commercial Real Estate isn’t a coincidence, it’s a long standing tradition. I just hoped this place would be different.

If you don’t mind being just another number, get in, do your work, enjoy the free perks and keep your head down until something better comes along. At least that’s what I’m doing.

Advice to Management

....it’s 2018.

WeWork Response

Jul 19, 2018 – Director, Talent Attraction

Hi - it sounds as if you might be a current employee, if so, I invite you to please reach out to your People Partner to discuss your experience. Current employee or not, we take allegations of racism... More

"Forget getting hired here"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cult environment with free water and coffee

Cons

It is the most white washed work place I’ve seen, there’s maybe 1% people of color in we works unless they are cleaning or doing labor, I haven’t seen one community manager that’s not from the burbs and white here

Advice to Management

Diversify your staff really like its 2018

"WeWork is a Worthwhile Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WeWork is a booming company full of people that are excited to contribute to it's growth. They offer many employee benefits including free food and catering (all the time for all events). On top of all of the fruit, coffee, and fruit water you could ever drink, WeWork offers employee engagement events including World Cup viewings, Women of WeWork gatherings, Summer Camp and Global Summit. They really promote employee wellness.

Cons

Although they promote so much employee wellness, it is not always followed through on. I don't know anyone who hasn't felt incredibly overworked and drained. A billion dollar company is still operating as a startup and is cannot hire quickly enough to support the workload. Although they are hiring at a fast rate, the new hires' managers are people who have only been at WeWork anywhere from 6 months to 1 year, and often don't know enough about the company and it's history and operating procedures to truly inform new hires. Because of these feelings of overworking and being burned out, many people stay at WeWork for shorter periods of time. Anyone who has been at WeWork for 2+ years is looked at as a "veteran".

"I wouldn't"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The spaces are gorgeous and high energy, the company is very successful

Cons

I wouldn't recommend my friends working here. There is more chaos, mis-alignment, and arbitrary decision-making thank in any company I've worked for. Everyone is running around reacting to something someone levels above them arbitrarily decided moments ago. There's no strategic plan and employees are treated like disposable products - it's all about the next big thing and not about being mature and calmly forward thinking. It's too disruptive and disheartening to work here for people who meaningfully want to contribute and want to feel valued. It's all about what arbitrary thing the CEO says on any given day and the management team just scrambles to make it happen - doesn't feel sustainable. So weird to watch and be a part of.

"Interesting company but role can be unrewarding"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at WeWork full-time

Pros

WeWork is growing quickly, so there are opportunities to get involved in different areas of the business. If you're a junior, there are clear progression opportunities. You get exposed to a broad range of tasks.

Cons

If you're not in NYC or a regional HQ, you run into a ceiling of opportunities. The role can be unrewarding - very reactive and lots of firefighting. Some roles are much easier or harder than others depending on the location. Lots of after hours work.

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great energy and company culture, amazing benefits in an exciting company truly changing the way we work around the world.

Cons

At times, it can be difficult because there's a lot of 'yes' folks in a period where the company is experiencing exponential growth and expectations without the tools to necessarily tackle them effectively.

A lot of the directors in the company, while great to work with, don't necessarily have the experience to guide people effectively in times of adversity.

The expectations versus the reality of my role was also a bit oversold, as I frequently worked 60+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a better voice, and look at some of the leaders more closely to see if they're ready to lead.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WeWork (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome environment would absolutely recommend

Cons

None. This company is absolutely amazing.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great mission and great people"

Current Employee - Community Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Challenging work that will keep your interested and constantly learning.
    - Access to WeWork locations all over the world.
    - lots of opportunity for growth
    - Opportunity to work with creative and innovative individuals.
    - flexible vaca
    - various company events and happy hours
    - Great networking opportunities with WeWork members.

Cons

- Considering that WeWork is still a startup things are constantly changing.
    - Because WeWork is so decentralized communication can be an issue at times.