WeWork Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
WeWork Founder and CEO Adam Neumann
Adam Neumann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free beer, pretty wallpaper, people will think you're "cool" for working at a" (in 15 reviews)

• "Get to meet great people that are starting awesome companies" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is almost nonexistent when you're in the community team; i clocked in" (in 27 reviews)

• "You work long hours, especially in community" (in 33 reviews)

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great energy and company culture, amazing benefits in an exciting company truly changing the way we work around the world.

Cons

At times, it can be difficult because there's a lot of 'yes' folks in a period where the company is experiencing exponential growth and expectations without the tools to necessarily tackle them effectively.

A lot of the directors in the company, while great to work with, don't necessarily have the experience to guide people effectively in times of adversity.

The expectations versus the reality of my role was also a bit oversold, as I frequently worked 60+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a better voice, and look at some of the leaders more closely to see if they're ready to lead.

"A La La Land Like No Other"

Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY cool HQ--beer, fruit water, and other treats on tap, free breakfast, amazing decor, lots of events and cool trendy vendors who bring free stuff--if you like to humblebrag via Insta, you'll love this place.

Some cool people --celebrities come in and out, your colleagues are generally very attractive folks, there's a sense of excitement and true commitment to the work (borderline evangelism) depending on who you work with and what you do.

Name recognition and valuation -- company is a rising star and it's worth having on your resume.

A cool mission on the surface--bringing community together, helping people do what they love (making work a passion rather than a chore) through connection.

Cons

This place is like drinking from one continuous Kool-Aid jug. VERY cult-y and cliquey. You are either in or you're out, and if you're out, rather than cut you loose right away, they gaslight you. It's actually kind of shocking how many people I've seen be treated so poorly here, and perhaps no coincidence that they were folks of color.

Kind of hard to find the down to earth people I did find. I enjoyed the Community teams and Security/Ops/Real Estate people I met, probably because they were constantly "hustling," but the HR team (the PEOPLE team, for goodness sake) and a lot of other "prominent" faces were consistently rude, with an overinflated sense of self and zero idea of how the WeWork "values" translate into behaviors/contributions from a prospective employee POV.

You have to have been there since the start, or be prepared to ingratiate yourself, to get any traction in your professional development or career path. I was always shocked how badly my manager wanted to be liked, and how much they were willing to do to be liked, to get any kind of clout and/or promotion just bc they hadn't started out at WeWork as a community team member. Never mind that they were super qualified for their job.

Pay varies depending on who you are; some people earn market value...some people very very much don't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency that determines which is which.

TGIM. Thank God it's Monday. Mandatory Monday meetings. Sometimes they circulate tequila shots. Is that a plus? Not sure.

Summer Camp. Adult Summer Camp. With EDM, people in salmon colored shorts, and lots of loud rowdy entitled folks. If that's anything but a con for you, you probably belong here and godspeed.

Advice to Management

Honestly, whatever you can do to create more authenticity in people, in the feel of the company, do it. Create meaning and purpose for everyone--help them see how what they do actually matters. And maybe actually institute meaningful performance management measures.

3. "Work Fast, Hustle Hard, Prepare for Change"

Current Employee - Community Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to be on the front lines, helping and watching businesses grow.

Cons

Very intensive; the work life balance is a bit off on the Community side, but that's what it takes to make a "start-up" work.

Advice to Management

Stop creating new initiatives every day. Listen to your core team, Community, and let them tell you what works.

"Candidate Experience"

Current Employee - Talent Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Team in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly, everything seemed to run very smoothly and everyone was very passionate about their role in the company

Cons

I had a great experience.

"Forget getting hired here"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cult environment with free water and coffee

Cons

It is the most white washed work place I’ve seen, there’s maybe 1% people of color in we works unless they are cleaning or doing labor, I haven’t seen one community manager that’s not from the burbs and white here

Advice to Management

Diversify your staff really like its 2018

"Great Opportunity (With Caveats)"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, stock options for all employees, and generous health insurance. Although it looks like a pretentious Silicon Valley startup on the outside most of the people are nice and down to earth. There are nice perks like a cool work space and free food (sometimes), coffee (often have barista at HQ), and free alcohol (although don't take a job based on free food/drinks). Opportunities to travel (yearly summit and "summer camp"). WeWork spends lavishly on corporate events and genuinely tries to retain the startup attitude despite being a massive corporation. Management seems genuinely nice and approachable. Their mission to make work spaces more human and communal is admirable. A lot of startups just make stuff that floats around on the internet and has questionable value, WeWork builds things in the real world.

Cons

No retirement plan. Those who don't work at corporate HQ in NY (those who run the actual WeWork's around the world) seem to be under a lot of pressure, are far from most of the exciting stuff, and seem to have a high turnover rate. WeWork is a company where everything is constantly changing which has its upside (innovation) but the constant workload/title/department/goal shifts can contribute to stress, uncertainty, wasted work, and job insecurity (people are laid off or let go very easily and with little warning). Some departments are more competent than others. Work hours are flexible but that means a lot of people, depending on their job, end up staying late or bringing their work home with them. It's nice that WeWork tries to innovate but some of their plans seem half-baked or inspired by the whims of the leadership. Finally the hip "do what you love" attitude can be a bit superficial. The best example of this is the late night TGIM (thank god it's Monday) meetings. No matter how cool your job is most people want to go home at the end of the day, not attend a dull speech, mandatory brainstorming session, or rally.

Advice to Management

Make TGIM less of a hassle, reduce the number of pet projects distracting from the core business, treat non-HQ staff better, offer retirement, offer staff a bit more stability, and standardize more HR procedures.

"Interior design"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, perks, pto, culture, coworkers

Cons

Hours, Hours, hours. Since things change so often you have to stay on your toes or get left behind (not for the faint of heart)

Advice to Management

Hire new staff before taking on new work without the right amount of people to do the job

"Needs to grow up"

Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its hey cool kids let's start a business - more form over substance

Cons

Hey Bro - you good? - I hear that a lot. Clearly trying to hard to be a young tech company instead of an office leasing company with good design and marketing skills. Not very many people with a grey hair around and it shows in the lack of discipline. Sooner or later the business will be judged by how well its operating as opposed to how well the cult holds together. Until then - free beer!

Advice to Management

Ah come on Dudes you get it right? - You don't need a John Scully but you do need discipline and experience. Sooner or later your gonna need to stand tall in front of unfriendly independent Board members.

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some people that are smart and nice.

Cons

No clear growth path. Too much politics going on underneath everyone’s smiling faces. Pay is low and not structured. There are people who get paid very little and does the actual work and help the company, and they are others who get paid for literally no actual impact. Hypocrites. Recently the no meat policy is a perfect example of it bragging about inclusiveness or other big stuff while really just realizing certain people’s values and beliefs.

Advice to Management

Don’t be silly. There are people who actually understand what we actually do and how we are doing. Please, next time if we want to buy a wave garden, let us know at least.

"Community Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WeWork full-time

Pros

- You are empowered to make decisions and choose your own goals/tasks
    - Every day you meet so many amazing entrepreneurs as well as continuously build these relationships
    - Inspiring and fun meetings, all-hands & trips (Summer Camp & Summit)
    - Great support system! Everyone truly cares for your well-being and become family

Cons

- Needs 401k matching
    - Community Associates should get paid more
    - Community Associates may be a little too empowered that we sometimes perform at a Community Lead level but don't get compensated for it

Advice to Management

We need to reformat the CA role and provide higher pay, especially if the building is understaffed and the CA is performing like a CL. Each building should have 1 CM, 3 CLs (per each track), and 1 CA