Akamai Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Akamai Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2018

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

On site interview. There was an introductory section about culture, then some brainteasers (create a rand(7) generator from a rand(5) generator) and then an algorithms question about finding subsequences in strings.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

I had 2 phone rounds and then invited for an onsite interview.
    I had 5 rounds of Onsite interview, the schedule changed a couple of times, a candidate is expected to oblige because Akamai is doing a "favor" to you
    The interviewers are SE, SSE, Architect, Director and Manager .
    1) Interview with SE was fine - a couple of Algo and tree based questions
    2) SSE was fine too
    3)"Architect" doesn't accept the code written a different way, as he sees it as though it hurts his ego when we start a discussion. He wants the code only "his" way.
    4) Director is doing you a favor because he feels that interview is always one-sided. He didn't bother to answer the questions I asked about the company. His attitude is "I ask questions, you answer. Not the other way around"
    5) The manager was kind of okay after the above 2 interviews

I decided it is a toxic atmosphere and decided not to take the opportunity

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (New York, NY).

Interview

the recruiter reached out to me and i had two rounds of interviews.

i followed up on my application but the recruiter kept saying i do not have a response and some excuse.After a month of such follow up i was told the position is filled.

Why wasted my time till a month? you could have just told me your moving with another candidate.

I had applied for another position as well. No response from the other recruiter as well after 2 weeks from the first call.

Technical Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Got called for a phone screen by HR, then had a phone screen with the hiring manager, then brought in for interview. It was weird and a little skeevy.

Apparently there's one man who manages 90% of the tech writers at the company. I know this because the fellow mentioned how important and singular he was several times. Met with him and from the beginning he was patronizing and smug. I nearly walked out but figured I'd see the thing through. Maybe my initial impression was unfair.

So he tells me about the group and the job. But the whole time he was talking it was really all about him. "*My* team. I do this. You would do this for me." etc. I didn't hear a lot about syncing the work to the business of the company.

Guy asked me the usual cliched behavioral questions "tell me about a time when you made a mistake." Yawn. When it was my chance to ask a few questions, I asked him what he thought was the ideal employee. He said he expects his people to "work independently and be problem solvers. " Ok, That's pretty standard. So I followed up with asking when he thought it was appropriate to ask him for help. His answer was something like "If you work independently you work independently. I shouldn't have to help you do your job." Ooof. I was hoping for something more nuanced, but this guy didn't seem to do nuance.

Manager came across as just an uptight control freak who cares more about appearances and having people that make him look good. Plus his speech was totally biz speak talking about synergy and paradigms and stuff. What kind of tech writer uses that much jargon?

I was really turned off. Didn't seem like he would foster a healthy environment or look after his people. And, oh, that skeevy feeling. He just came across as inauthentic like he was trying to sell me a time share. I can't explain it. But as a woman I felt supremely uncomfortable.

Was not exactly surprised (or upset) when I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• If I tell you to do something you don't agree with, what will you do?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

It was a phone interview, and they asked me about introducing myself.
    After that, they asked some questions on my resume. Most of them were related to my educational background and work experiences. It was pretty straightforward, and it wasn't difficult.

Interview Questions

• However, they asked my marital status, and where he is, and how much did I earn in previous company. It was a little weird, and rude   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (New York, NY).

Interview

They sent me a mail saying they would schedule a call for a technical interview but never got back. So when I mailed them they said all their positions were full.

PhDResearch Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

Akamai is a company which by far had the worst recruiting teams. The recruiters did not even know who was reaching out with multiple people contacting me through the stages. They forgot that they had an interview and one of their people even left. They started telling me to contact this/that person. As a PhD student, my time is precious and they seemed to be so casual about it.

Interview Questions

• The interview was just a technical review of my background and since my research brought me some skills that were relevant to their work, they looked interested.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Automation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

Bizarre and disorganized, just like Glassdoor reviewers warned.

My phone screen by a highly professional company recruiter was great.

My follow-up with the hiring manager was pleasant and also, in retrospect, bizarre. You see, I am a little "overqualified". My salary expectation falls above the glassdoor estimates for this position. The hiring manager advised that my range was fine and I should never accept a penny less than I deserve. Wow - this was "too good to be true!"

Glassdoor reviewers warned that Marketing was in total disarray here. The Sr. Managers with whom I interviewed agreed.

The odd thing is that my skillset in Digital Marketing is deep and my personal maturity is such that I could have helped the transformation. What happened?

I don't know, because my query to HR went unanswered. Perhaps, just perhaps it's that 800 lb elephant thing? Just too old for the position?

Interview Questions

• Name 5 words which describe you?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai in November 2017.

Interview

Met a recruiter at my campus career fair. The next day, scheduled an interview with another recruiter for a couple weeks down the road. Mostly was just to get to know what you're interested in and what kind of teams you'd like to work with, my recruiter was very friendly. A couple weeks later I received an invitation for a second interview with two different teams, one in CA and one in MA. I did a Skype interview with both teams and was able to choose which team I wanted to work with. I received the offer the day after my Skype interview with the CA team. It was a really good experience and the recruitment process went really smoothly. The hiring manager skipped the technical questions during my technical interview since he was really interested in a project that I was currently working on, which I showed him on Git.

Interview Questions

• Give an overview of how ReactJS works and differs from other frameworks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

Group forum interview and then individual interviews. Training program pays $12.00/hr for five months, then contract position is $20.00/hr for a minimum of six months (both are non-negotiable). That amounts to $28,800 for the 11 month time period before taxes. In both phases of the program you are employed by an employment agency, not Akamai. They do not provide free parking, only ~30% pre-tax discount on commuter pass. I could see how this would be a great opportunity for young people who still have the support of their parents, but other than that I don't know how anyone survives on this pay. Also, the training progression is not performance based, i.e. everyone stays on the same training schedule and there is no opportunity to complete training ahead of schedule. These are not living wages and, while I was offered a spot in the academy, I cannot accept it.