Akamai Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 26, 2018

3.1

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in September 2010.

Interview

The standard tech-company interview (I've had a lot of these over the years, and conducted many of them myself at former employers). First a recruiter talks with you on the phone to confirm that you're human. Then there's a first round of technical questions; in my case these were Unix-, networking-, and systems-focused. In person, they ask you some standard Unix questions, and there's some coding on the board. Maybe there are one or two questions that are real curveballs and require some real digging to answer them, but Akamai's interview questions are not nearly the hardest I've ever been given. The hardest I've ever been given were from Google, where they continually escalate the difficulty of the questions to test your limits.

Akamai's interviewers were good, but sort of middle-manager-y. I didn't get the sense that the group I was speaking with felt as though they were the élites.

Interview Questions

• Why might you use SMTP to get large (multi-gig) line-oriented text-based logs from one machine to another?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I had very little room to negotiate. They offered me a number, I asked for [that number] + $5,000 (or maybe $10,000; I forget); they said no; and I accepted the initial offer. Note that the initial offer was $20,000 more than any other company has ever paid me, so it was a terrific initial offer.

They kept asking me, as all companies do, to tell them how much I'd made at previous employers, and I never told them. I have to imagine that, had I told them what I had made previously, they never would have given me the raise that they did.

Performance Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly, I introduced a little bit about myself and my background. Then, interviewers introduced what they did. Finally, some basic network questions are asked. The interviewers are very kind. They tried their best to lead you to the answers that they wanted.

Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA) in December 2009.

Interview

Received a call from the HR Manager, asked basic questions based on resume
    and some HR based questions. I believe the interview went well, but after follow ups for 2 weeks, received
    a reply from HR saying skill-set wasnt adequate.
    It could have been a little sooner, maybe the pool of candidates was a lot, not sure though

Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

Pretty simple if you have already worked as a coop/intern

Negotiation

very bad.

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

A recruiter found my profile on Piazza and reached out with a request to schedule a phone interview.

We set a date and time to speak. He didn't call. I sent a couple of emails after that but haven't heard back.

Extremely unprofessional and disappointing experience. I'll definitely think twice before responding to any future offers from them!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Akamai in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and one of their representatives, a senior software engineer, called me in 10 days. He mostly asked about my background, my thesis, my skills. He was mostly interested in knowing if I knew machine learning and how well. Did not ask any technical questions. Other topics he asked questions about included TCP/IP, programming in C++/Java, understanding of algorithms. He asked about any large-scale software projects that I have worked on, then asked questions about that project in detailed, asked what the challenges were and how I approached the design.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews with recruiters. One phone interview with an (arrogant) hiring manager. No courtesy or notification of acceptance or rejection after the interview, very rude.
    After no news for 2 weeks, these jokers sent me an email to complete an EEO application!
    Akamai sucks!

Interview Questions

• What is your management style? How do you work with difficult people?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in August 2010.

Interview

They are really good with their recruiting process. It involves a phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a phone interview with someone on the team you are trying to join. If they like you and think you know what you're talking about, they will then follow up with a long interview process (3-4 hours, involving about an hour with a couple of the other team members)

I felt confident in my knowledge area. I believe this helped me in providing a good interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a previous project. Feel free to use the white board to outline your project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Had one phone interview and then 6-8 1x1 interviews. Technically the questions they asked were mediocre except one interviewer who stood out. Here are some of them I recollect - TCP/IP congestion control and handshake, duplicate a string, how would a c++ compiler behave in a certain scenario, code fibonacci, code if number is prime, how does a shell work.

Besides it was a little difficult communicating with the recruiter who'd go in circles and wouldn't give out a complete picture about the package.

Offer was not competitive in terms of compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Akamai (San Mateo, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call for phone screen after about a month. Phone screen consisted of questions on multi-threaded systems; deadlocks; live-locks; object-oriented programming (define polymorphism).

Got a call for onsite a week later. Onsite consisted of four rounds each technical ranging from coding in general; C++ programming (implement ++ operator for integer array) and data structures (implement LRU cache) and general design.

Interview Questions

• data structure for LRU cache   1 Answer