Compass Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineer

Compass Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Compass

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass.

Interview

Had two phone screenings, both went well. The types of questions you see in Cracking the Coding Interview but in JS. I was brought in for on-site interviews which included 5 interviews with a lunch in between.

The questions weren't too difficult I thought I answered them pretty good. I noticed there wasn't much diversity among their engineers and the engineers and recruiter did not engage much throughout the on-site interviews. I definitely did not feel welcome. They are no doubt smart people and the technology is great too, but from a people standpoint it wasn't the best.

Interview Questions

• Checking if a string contains a valid sequence of opening and closing parentheses   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Compass

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Standard technical interview process - a bunch of somewhat arbitrary algorithmic problems to whiteboard and discuss. Nothing exceptionally tricky. The main issue was with the people -- half of the folks were relatively normal, but the others lacked basic social skills. There was also a air of unearned arrogance about the team that was slightly off-putting, with the exception of one of the early founders, who seemed more seasoned and less insecure about his own background.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to convert a the representation of a number in one base to its representation in another base, where the bases can range from 2 to 36.

char* convert(char* number, int fromBase, int toBase);

essentially.   2 Answers
    • Given an input array of integers, return an array of the same size such that that ith element in the output array is the product of every element in the input array other than the ith element of the input array. Restriction: do not use division in your algorithm. This should be done in O(n) time complexity.   2 Answers
    • Write a function that, given a dot-separated path to a JSON-like object changes an input string to another value is the string matches. Each level of the object (except the first) might be a string, a list of strings, an another object, a list of objects, or a list of other objects. ... To be honest, the guy who asked the question did a poor job of phrasing it and seemed to be a bit confused about what he was asking to begin with. He was stumbling over his own definition, and was a poor communicator in general.   2 Answers
    • Write a function to reverse an integer, without using any intermediate storage except for other integer values.   2 Answers
    • Write a function that, given an inventory of titles (say movies), and a starting movie title, returns the longest list of titles (in which each title appears only once) where the first word of the next title in the list is equal to the last word of the preceding title.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass in October 2018.

Interview

* Applied online and got a call from HR in 10 days.
    HR was good to talk with during first call but over next few conversations she replied passive aggressively. One instance was, She sent me a calendar invite to select a time slot for interview, which I did. But later she says that I am should not provide her just one time slot because company cannot work according to my timetable. So she said provide multiple time slots. Fair enough but I DONT REMEMBER ANY INSTRUCTIONS SAYING TO SELECT MULTIPLE TIME SLOTS. It said "Provide a time slot". Anyway interview was scheduled.

* There were two rounds of interviews 1. Java interview 2. Javascript Interview

* During second round of interview (Javascript interview) the interviewer's English accent was so bad that 3/4 of time went in asking "Could you please repeat the question ? "

* After all this there was no update/follow up from the company. I emailed the same HR after waiting for two weeks. The HR says " Sorry for delay, We want to interview you for front end role and not full stack. That being said we want to interview you again for Javascript"

This was unexpected and unacceptable.

You cannot be playing with candidates time and make them wait for two weeks only to tell them which position they want to interview.

It was like company was confused and so kept candidate in dark

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me about a role at Compass. The first step was your typical 20~30min HR screen where they ask you about your resume and they tell you about the company and teams.

Next step was the typical technical phone screen where an engineer would ask you a technical coding question and do it on the screen. The recruiter had told me that I could use any language of my choice. Turns out, they only have a limited number of languages (less than 5?) and I had to use a language I haven't used in years. I was very surprised by this miscommunication and struggled to remember some basic syntax (because I haven't used it in years!) and didn't get much through (it requires compilation to work so I had to be exact on my syntax; not one of those "i don't care if syntax is wrong").
    I wish the recruiting process was more straightforward so I could have brushed up on the basic syntax.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process - first round is phone interview with recruiter who asks questions to find out what position will best fit your strengths/needs. Recruiter then promptly set up second round tech phone screen. This interviewer dove straight into the coding questions without even giving his introduction or asking me to introduce myself. I was slightly turned off by that experience but carried on. The coding question was pretty easy and I was able to solve it within the allotted time however the communication with the interviewer was again poor - after giving me the problem statement the interviewer went on mute. I was talking through my solution without any feedback from the interviewer for the whole hour. I was again disappointed by the communication so a few minutes into the interview I asked the interviewer if I'm on the correct path to solve the problem (I didn't actually need to know but I wanted to find out if he was even paying attention and to engage in an actual conversation). The interviewer then told me to "just solve the problem" and to use other online resources if I want to. Disappointed, I carried on and finished my solution.

There were around 10 minutes left in the hour once I finished and the interviewer mentioned in a derogatory tone that he wanted to ask another question but I took too long. He did give me the remaining time to ask him any questions and I asked him to introduce himself since he hadn't done up to that point! I then asked him a question about the engineering culture at Compass to gauge if his attitude is seen company wide. He laughed and said that its a very generic question and basically said the culture is like the culture at Google (I've never worked at Google so I have no way of knowing what he meant). He then mentioned we're out of time and ended the call.

The products at Compass are actually very interesting but the phone screen I had was unfortunately one of the worst. This interviewer and Compass don't realize that interviews go both ways - the candidate is also judging the company during the process and they failed miserably. I've seen other similar reviews on Glassdoor about poor interviews/conversations with Compass so think twice before giving them your time.

Interview Questions

• You'll be asked to write a function which will test your understandings of data structure. You'll be asked to run the function with test cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter reached out after finding my information online.

Spoke with her and we agreed to do 2 phone interviews then onsite.

They reached out early in my job search, so I kept postponing but they were OK with that.

Each phone interview started with a couple behavioral questions like 'why Compass?' + 'what are you looking for? - then went into medium difficulty questions. The interviewers have been with Compass for years.

Then the onsite was also with senior people/management and they asked quite difficult questions. They seemed very smart to me and I found our discussions went well, which was a big factor in me accepting the offer.

One thing I'd change: my interviewers were often quite late (which is being improved). And they could have answered my questions for them better.

Interview Questions

• the recruiter should let you know what to expect, but Leetcode medium/hards + system design should be expected   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

One recruiter interview, 2 phone screens, 4 rounds onsite. Recruiter was very prompt, as fast as 10 minutes after my phone screens. Onsite was poorly managed with manager and staff reporting late and me having to wait in the waiting room for 20+ mins. Interviewers were nice though

Interview Questions

• 1st - Insert delete getRandom, 2nd - General discussion on how hashmaps work internally and fun discussion about OOP interfaces   Answer Question
    • NDA. LC med, easy, Design fb newsfeed   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

Recruiter screen, two technical phone interviews, on-site. Phone interviews are conducted through a shared coding platform. Questions similar to what you would find on Leetcode or Cracking the Coding Interview. More of the same on-site plus some domain-specific questions and system design question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in December 2018.

Interview

Phone screen followed by two technical phone interviews. Invited to an onsite which consisted of a lunch interview, two technical DS/A type questions and system design. Overall great process and felt I did well on the onsite. No feedback as to why an offer was not given.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

Basically what everyone else has said until now. I feel so bad writing this. The recruiters are super nice. Most of the people you meet are nice. But then the few rotten apples are so bad that it really leaves you with a bad taste. I would have given it a higher rating, but they just do not have checks and balances in place.
    For starters, the sheer volume of interviews is bad. It just shows that the company does not care about your time. 2 phone screens 1 hr each and a 5 hr on site interview is uncalled for. Really. Almost every candidate has complained about them having arrogant self proclaimed :superstars: on the team, but they do nothing to add accountability to the process. There are many ways this can be avoided. Have a group panel interview or interview in pairs to add accountability. Or reduce the number of rounds if you cannot stop renegade interviewers who seek validation from their position. You are tarnishing your own brand doing this.
    This interview is extremely humiliating and bad. One interviewer actually said to me "i should not be telling you this". Sure I was not able to answer your esoteric question on dynamic programming in the moment. Happens. Dont have to show this superiority and arrogance just because you applied before me.
    A lot can be done here. Send a project to ppl to implement. And check the project. many tech companies are doing that. Why give ammunition to problematic folks that you cannot control?

An advice to everyone, they dont value your time. Dont waste it talking to arrogant ppl

Interview Questions

• On Site 2 - write the code for a load balancer. You can add a node, delete a node or pick a node at random. All have to be constant time and balancing should be even   1 Answer
    • On site Determine if a text is valid based on a dictionary (no spaces)   1 Answer
    • Coderpad phonsecreen 2 Parse a document but this time prefixes can be used to search   1 Answer
    • Coderpad Phone Screen 1 Some variant of Parse a text and display   1 Answer