Evernote Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Evernote Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote.

Interview

Waste of my time.

Did the coding challenge that wanted production level quality code, I think the question has been posted here before. That took about 2-3 hours since I wrote test cases and docs. Apparently really impressed them, and moved on to a 1 hour long technical interview. Interviewer asked a pretty common DP problem.

Went through that interview, and then was told to schedule an in-person interview. A few days before the scheduled interview, an interview that I have spent a few hours preparing for at this point, I received an email from a no-reply address. The same generic one that people who apply and get automatically filtered get i.e "Good luck on the rest of your job search and the position has been filled".

I believe that after doing about 4 hours of work into this interview process, I should have at the very least gotten a response from my recruiter telling me about the news and not a generic email. You should atleast consider everyone who is in the middle of the process. Rude and unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Email from recruiter. Responded with availability. Recruiter didn't get back to me until weeks later. Had a call with recruiter, then in person interviews with team members. NDA was signed before the interview.

People Ops Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I quickly received an invitation to a phone interview. During the phone interview I was asked about my background, education, and how I handle priorities. At the end of the phone interview I was invited to an onsite interview. The onsite interview included a tour, two interviews with a manager, and a lunch with the team. I was given a free Evernote premium code, a goodie bag with snacks, and lunch.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard process.

1) Recruiter phone screen.
    2) Analyst on the team phone chat. There was some shared coderpad SQL and higher level questions on running tests. Very attentive, patient, and pleasant talk.
    3) In person at Redwood City. Met with about 6 people in 4 hours - the 2 other analysts, CFO, product manager, growth manager, and a data engineer. Not as technical as other Senior Data Analyst roles. Questions were really strategy and communication focused rather than model evaluation, adjusting for bias, etc... There was a case study (which I never had before) in Excel (which I haven't touched in ages), some warmup probability, and whiteboard sql. Everything else was not really as defined. More of "How would you attempt this vague scenario, and how would you use or communicate the results afterward".

I come from more of the data engineering and modeling end of spectrum of data analysts and was not too surprised with the rejection feedback. If you have management, consulting, or lots of experience working with internal business partners (product management, marketing, etc...) yet also have a strong analytics toolbox, you should do great.

I specifically want to call out the recruiter, Melanie. She was remarkably open and candid through the whole process. After the rejection email, she asked to jump on the phone to further discuss the decision process and help me further with my search. This is so rare in the bay area tech world, and especially in data analysis roles that tend to have MANY qualified candidates. The whole interview experience was very warm and encouraging at Evernote and if you happen to be hired, I'm sure the company will be just as great.

Interview Questions

• High level strategic and intentionally vague case study type questions. You can probably imagine the questions about defining product KPI's, measuring success, testing, and communicating actionable steps. They are much less interested in mathematical, statistical, or coding chops.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Evernote.

Interview

After recruiter phone interview expect a full 4 hours or so of physical and video conference interviews. There are a lot of questions about your past work and achievements. They also require a quick presentation.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The overall process was pleasant and professional. The HR welcomed and gave a tour of the building then met with the interviewers. Everyone was friendly and passionate about the products and company.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Overall it was a pretty good, professional experience and though I didn't get the job, I felt I was treated fairly and respectful. Had an initial phone screen with the hiring manager, then presented a homework assignment to another PM, then for the final round came in for a half day, presented another more intensive assignment to a group of folks, followed by 5 one on one interviews. The prep work did take a lot of time and it turns out they really want someone with a strong metrics and analytics skill set (which I wish was made clearer in the final round prep), but they represented the company really well and I thought my candidacy was handled well. And follow ups were always extremely prompt.

Interview Questions

• If you were to remove a feature, how would you measure the impact of the change?   Answer Question

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote in March 2017.

Interview

It was standard 3 round interview.
    1 - Phone interview with HR
    2 - Phone interview with Hiring manager
    3- Onsite.

Onsite interview was highly technical, be ready to write some scripts and linux internals questions should be expected.

Overall the experience was really nice, everyone was nice and the office is amazing!

Interview Questions

• Bash Scripting questions , so change/replace characters.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Spoke with recruiter - extremely friendly, informative, and made sure the position is a good fit. Had a great impression of the company based on our conversation

Phone interview - EXTREMELY unprofessional and rude. I could clearly hear the interviewer eating, chewing, trying to swallow during our conversation! In addition, it was obvious that he was trying to think of questions on the spot. I think he was more interested in talking about himself than anything else. Very negative experience - would not interview with again

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Evernote (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process took 2 weeks. I could have gotten it done faster, but I was interviewing at a few different companies.

- Step 1: A hiring manager contacted me and set up a phone screen. This was really basic stuff like going over my background and asking questions about what I wanted to do next. I also had the opportunity to ask a lot of questions about the company, the culture, and the way Evernote operates. I moved on to the next step.

- Step 2: I was emailed a take-home exercise with a panel presentation prompt. "Pick an Evernote product and pitch an improvement". This was also accompanied with a few 1:1 sessions with various PMs, Design, and Engineering leads. I arrived at the office at 10:45am got a tour of the space and settled in to present to a group of 4 people. The presentation was me going through my thought process and detailing my improvement. I thought it went fairly well, but was immediately told that they wanted to end the interview now, so I did not get a chance to do the 1:1 sessions.

The pros:
    - Got very detailed feedback as to why the interview ended so abruptly.
    - Very nice and friendly people. I felt at ease every step of the way.

The cons:
    - The take home exercise was sent to me by a recruiter. It would have really helped if the hiring manager would have emailed me and made me feel more comfortable about asking questions so that I could really understand what to focus on for the presentation.

Interview Questions

• Pick an Evernote product and improve it   Answer Question
    • Let's say the feature you just pitched didn't work for 70% of our users using Evernote for Windows, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Why is this feature such an improvement over what we are currently offering   Answer Question