Evernote Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 8, 2017

2.9

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

had an initial call with the recruiter for 30 mins and on my request, the next round of telephonic+collabedit session was organized the very next day.
    The interviewer was on time with the call and I was asked too many easy coding questions (like what is dictionary in python, how to retrieve values of dictionary(using a simple example), add sum of 2 digit integer(like input 23 should print 2+3=5), purpose of __init__.py, use of self, print all files and directories and the sub directory without using os.walk)
    I expected a lot more interesting questions, atleast medium level hacker rank kind, but these were very basic questions and should be asked to interns, atleast not for Senior/Staff level roles.
    Irony is that I was rejected with explanation that "we didn't quite see the technical skill we are looking for in this role".
    I am glad that I was rejected, it would have been a waste of time attending the onsite

Interview Questions

• none..all questions were too easy for senior/staff level role   Answer Question

Evernote Response

Sep 21, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for sharing this with us. We are always working to improve our interview experience and appreciate your feedback.

-Evernote Recruiting Team

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Evernote in September 2017.

Interview

They reached out to me through CodeFights, and the first step was a phone call with a senior software engineering manager. This call went great, and I felt very good about the direction we were moving in. The next step was a technical phone screen. The interview was actually really fun (focused on debugging), and my interviewer was very complimentary. Multiple times, he stated that he was very impressed with me and specifically pointed to reasons why. At the end of the interview, he said they wanted me to continue to the next step in the interview process (another technical phone screen). He very specifically stated that I'd be receiving information from a recruiter about scheduling the next interview. Two days later, I received an email saying that they actually need someone with more experience and I wouldn't be able to continue through the interview process. This was really upsetting given that everything had been going really well, and I was already preparing to do another interview with them. I was not impressed, and it makes it feel like they are really not very organized with their interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given a large set of JavaScript code (including several classes) determine why all the tests aren't passing, and fix the code to allow them to pass.   Answer Question

Evernote Response

Sep 21, 2017 – Recruiter

I'm so glad we were able to catch up on this over the phone. We apologize for the miscommunication on our part. We're constantly working to calibrate out technical screeners and hiring managers. This... More

Software Development Engineer, Data Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a take home test to be submitted in a week's time. Got a reject the day after I submitted the assessment.I do not know if my assessment was reviewed . No feedback was given.

Interview Questions

• Take home test in Java/Python. We need to make assumptions and solve the problem,   Answer Question

Writer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Evernote.

Interview

The interview process included a call with HR, sending a writing sample, and in-person interviews. I was notified later that they were looking for someone different but I was not told why I was not a fit.

Interview Questions

• The writing sample was to take one of their product concepts and write a blog post about it.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote.

Interview

Waste of my time.

Did the coding challenge that wanted production level quality code, I think the question has been posted here before. That took about 2-3 hours since I wrote test cases and docs. Apparently really impressed them, and moved on to a 1 hour long technical interview. Interviewer asked a pretty common DP problem.

Went through that interview, and then was told to schedule an in-person interview. A few days before the scheduled interview, an interview that I have spent a few hours preparing for at this point, I received an email from a no-reply address. The same generic one that people who apply and get automatically filtered get i.e "Good luck on the rest of your job search and the position has been filled".

I believe that after doing about 4 hours of work into this interview process, I should have at the very least gotten a response from my recruiter telling me about the news and not a generic email. You should atleast consider everyone who is in the middle of the process. Rude and unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Email from recruiter. Responded with availability. Recruiter didn't get back to me until weeks later. Had a call with recruiter, then in person interviews with team members. NDA was signed before the interview.

Data Science Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email after 10 to 20 days from the recruiter about the process. I was asked to work on a problem and in that, I was allowed to make assumptions. They mentioned that they wanted to check how I approach the problem

Interview Questions

• I was asked to complete an assignment on recommendation system in 3 days. I have submitted in time. The next day , I got rejection from the company   Answer Question

People Ops Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I quickly received an invitation to a phone interview. During the phone interview I was asked about my background, education, and how I handle priorities. At the end of the phone interview I was invited to an onsite interview. The onsite interview included a tour, two interviews with a manager, and a lunch with the team. I was given a free Evernote premium code, a goodie bag with snacks, and lunch.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard process.

1) Recruiter phone screen.
    2) Analyst on the team phone chat. There was some shared coderpad SQL and higher level questions on running tests. Very attentive, patient, and pleasant talk.
    3) In person at Redwood City. Met with about 6 people in 4 hours - the 2 other analysts, CFO, product manager, growth manager, and a data engineer. Not as technical as other Senior Data Analyst roles. Questions were really strategy and communication focused rather than model evaluation, adjusting for bias, etc... There was a case study (which I never had before) in Excel (which I haven't touched in ages), some warmup probability, and whiteboard sql. Everything else was not really as defined. More of "How would you attempt this vague scenario, and how would you use or communicate the results afterward".

I come from more of the data engineering and modeling end of spectrum of data analysts and was not too surprised with the rejection feedback. If you have management, consulting, or lots of experience working with internal business partners (product management, marketing, etc...) yet also have a strong analytics toolbox, you should do great.

I specifically want to call out the recruiter, Melanie. She was remarkably open and candid through the whole process. After the rejection email, she asked to jump on the phone to further discuss the decision process and help me further with my search. This is so rare in the bay area tech world, and especially in data analysis roles that tend to have MANY qualified candidates. The whole interview experience was very warm and encouraging at Evernote and if you happen to be hired, I'm sure the company will be just as great.

Interview Questions

• High level strategic and intentionally vague case study type questions. You can probably imagine the questions about defining product KPI's, measuring success, testing, and communicating actionable steps. They are much less interested in mathematical, statistical, or coding chops.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

1 phone call with hiring manager, a 3-hour onsite, a take home exercise with a few instructions. Then a 5-hour onsite including a presentation to the team.

People are friendly for the most part. I think there's a good potential with their product and I somehow liked the office. During the process, I took 2 days off, I spent a lot of hours studying their product and worked on my presentation at night and on the weekends. So, I dedicated a lot of time and energy. They ended my interviews during the very last onsite. About an hour after my presentation I was asked to leave and got some feedback about why. I had a few 1-1's left with the team but they ended everything earlier. Again, after 3 weeks into the process, I took another day off to drive all the way to Redwood City. Not the best candidate experience.

The feedback was fair for the most part. I disagree with minor stuff but I do understand why I wasn't the perfect fit. I use the term "perfect" because there's no room for improvement. It seems that it's not a role where I would have had the ability to learn and grow as a PM. So at the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal besides the way it all ended. Some people like to be in a comfort zone cruising... I personally like to be pushed and challenged. Learning is the main reason why I'd wake up on the morning to go to work. I would have personality hired someone like me over the "perfect" candidate :)

So, again, great people, great product, great company. My advise to the team would be to ask the right questions during the very first phone call. There are several ways to identify weaknesses, especially when you know exactly what you're looking for. It's harder when you DON'T know what you're looking for ;-)

Just be prepared to get stopped at the very last minute before the finish line. Try to have fun with the team too, they're nice people.