ExxonMobil Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2017

3.2

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online through the Recent College Grads job posting. I received a text from a recruiter asking for a phone interview which occurred the following week. Phone interview basically just was told about the position and asked if I had any questions/ when I could fly down for an interview. Flew down the following week and had dinner with a recent hire the night before the interview. Interview day consisted of a leadership interview, technical interview, and general questions from one of the managers. The day also included presentations from HR regarding benefits, a plant tour, a meet and greet with other engineers, and a general overview of the company. Was contacted the following week with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went above and beyond what you were asked to do.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

It was on university campus and very formal. It was a behavioral and one on one interview. The questions were not familiar to me and I had to find answers for them at the interview moment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter through university. It was a short 30-minute interview. It was a standard behavioral interview. No technical questions were asked. I applied with my resume and cover letter and was contacted a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite class?
      Give an example of a time you solved a problem and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

It's a one-hour phone interview. It includes two parts: 1. they first did job position introduction as well as their background introduction; 2. They went through my Ph.D. work (based on my resume) and asked me to explain some experiences that I listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Some behavior questions such as: How do you feel about mentoring undergraduate and graduate students?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

They came to our university for a career fair. I talked to them and was asked to apply online. I did and then got an on campus interview. The interview was 1 to 1 and the interviewer is a graduate from my university. The questions are all behavioral questions. I did not get an on-site interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength?
      What is your weakness?
      Do you want to work alone or in a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

College campus screening then a callback for a series of 5 interviews with various managers and engineers on site. The interview was mainly to assess how I interact with people, most questions were easy and about my resume.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about resume and experiences at internships   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in October 2015.

Interview

University Recruiting: attended university career showcase, one-on-one interview for 1 hour, contacted by site to set up site visit and next round of interviews
    Site Visit: arrived evening prior to interviews to have dinner with host and other engineers, day of interviews consisted of three 45-minute interviews (mixture of behavioral and technical questions) and a 30-minute session with HR to discuss benefits.
    Note: My interview process was sped up due to an impending deadline for an offer from another company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in a group, and a group member was getting off-track.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a technical decision in a short deadline.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by them through my university's recruiting process. I was interviewed on-campus the following week, with positive feedback within a week. I spent two months waiting for a response but was notified that the position I was being considered for had been filled.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an Exxon Mobil representative and did a basic phone interview. This interview was a situational interview, basic questions were asking for a time that a certain problem popped up and how I handled the situation. These questions ranged from how I dealt with a teammate that wasn't doing there share on a project to dealing with projects where the scope of the work changed during the project and how I dealt with that.

Interview Questions

• Describe your three best strengths and three biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Interview

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions

• An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question