FireEye Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at FireEye (San Jose, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I saw the job posting on LinkedIn which redirected me to apply on FireEye careers site.

1 telephonic round
    Started off with my background and continued with 3 simple programming questions to be solved on shared hackerrank code pad.

4 onsite rounds + 1 lunch interview

Interview Questions

• Coding questions: String Compression problem, producer-consumer problem, readers-writers problem, check valid BST, improvise on the same problem with iterative tree traversal provided parent pointers in struct definition using O(1) extra space, implement strstr(), implement a simple regex matcher supporting '?' and '*' wildcards

Other questions include OS and Networking basics, difference between TCP/UDP and when to use them, TCP flow and congestion control algorithm (how TCP reacts to a certain scenario), HTTP header contents, What is DNS and its response types, What happens when you enter a URL in web browser, mutexes and critical section, draw stack and contents of a given C program, how to efficiently serialize and deserialize a tree using a database table (basically asked me to draw the fields of the SQL table and describe the process)   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FireEye (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

unprofessional, took a very long tome to get meetings scheduled, their inside recruiters do not follow up, there seems to be confusion in the skill sets they want to hire, they seem to be struggling with Jr managers and moral is low. there last qtr explains it all, layoffs

Interview Questions

• do you think we need to hire sales reps with security background?   3 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at FireEye (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The process is smooth, I had 3 round of interview.
    First was with recruiting HR, just the normal stuff. Then was scheduled for second round of interview.
    The second and third round are based on resume. They drill down on each and every project which they think are worth, and you would be going to work on them. In a week got the confirmation call from HR, followed by the offer letter.

Finance Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FireEye.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter, a phone interview with hiring manager. Then face to face with four people. I interviewed at the Alexandra Virginia office. Each interviewer was suppose to grant 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• First, I read Glassdoor employee reviews, which are mostly horrible. No 401k match, layoffs, employees are not valued. I can tell you this came across loud and clear during the interview. This interview was the worse in my career.

I interviewed with four people with each only allowing 30 minutes. I spent so much time sitting waiting for the next person that each interview was probably 15-20 minutes long. At no point did anyone talk to me about the actual job I would be doing or talk about how the incumbent will interact with the interviewer. Each interviewer either assumed the person before them talked about the job or said the next person will go into more detail about the job. I was never allowed to ask more than one question before “time expired” and the person had to rush off for another meeting.

This place was ice cold. There was so much confusion as to whose turn it was and just a complete lack of respect for the candidate. The one person who spoke openly for a couple minutes regarding how the group made decisions made me want to run for the door. I can’t see this company surviving.

I showed myself out the door and did not send a thank you note for wasting my time.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FireEye.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and several months later received a request for a phone interview. After the initial screening I was asked to take a technical exam which was not very difficult. Finally I had a final phone interview with a manager of the IR team I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in FireEye?   1 Answer

Director Level Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FireEye (Milpitas, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I reached out via the website and a friend I had at the company and was contacted by a really nice recruiter shortly after. She just took over recruiting for this role and contacted the hiring manager whom she did not know yet. After presenting me as a candidate she scheduled the phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview with the hiring manager went well and we scheduled an in person onsite interview with 3 people. When I arrived in time I had to wait for 15 mins for the first person scheduled to interview me so we had barely 15 mins left. The next part of the interview was via phone and it was awesome because the person over the phone displayed such a great sense of humor. Last in person interview was fine and organized and he walked me out. After my personal "Thank you" notes one person even responded. I then reached out to the HR recruiter and she promised to follow up with an update. That never happened.

Interview Questions

• Mostly casual but also about job experience and how I would go about things.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at FireEye (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I submitted my resume and got a phone interview shortly thereafter. The manager who conducted the phone interview said it was a basic screening interview. I was basically asked to walk him through my resume and then he asked me some standard questions. The questions were things like "describe your strengths/weaknesses", "how would you deal with XYZ scenario on the job," etc.

I then had a second round interview with a higher level manager and the same manager I had spoken to on the phone (about 1-2 weeks later). They did not seem to have much experience conducting interviews, so they asked questions you can find an any interview prep website. This made it pretty easy, as they didn't ask me anything I hadn't anticipated.

Finally, I met with HR to hear about the benefits package.

Interview Questions

• They mainly asked me to describe in more detail some of the aspects of my work history.   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FireEye (Reston, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

Had initial phone interview with hiring manager. He had a "take home" project sent to me, which I completed and sent back. Had multiple followup phone interviews with the hiring manager, several of his team engineers, and other engineers/managers at Fireye (8 separate interviews). Hiring manager pretty much indicated to me at this point that I had the job. Got a request to drop everything and fly out to Reston for a face to face since the manager would be there at their facility (his whole team works remotely from their homes). Was told it was just to meet the manager. Got there and was put through another 5 interviews.

Manager then took me out to lunch, at which point, when asked about time frame for a decision, he told me to keep my phone on that night, but that he was satisfied with everything, and proceeded to tell me about my first month and what I would be doing. This was a Wednesday afternoon.

Heard nothing Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sun. Woke up Monday morning to a form "We are choosing not to pursue your candidacy at this time" email.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about DNS servers, something that I not only knew nothing about, but never claimed to have any knowledge. Is also completely related to the job that I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FireEye.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I met members of the FireEye team at an on-campus recruiting event, gave my resume, and followed up.

Got a call back to schedule two phone interviews.
    Mix of technical and behavioral questions.

Final on-site was similar to the phone interviews.

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at FireEye (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview process was five months long. This involved multiple phone interviews: first with the recruiter, second with the team lead, and third with a team member. I had a good experience interviewing with FireEye but did not get processed further due to lack of technical experience. In the meantime, FireEye acquired iSight so the company's intelligence practice grew exponentially.

Interview Questions

• -Have you briefed to customers before?
      -Have you created a presentation deck before?
      -Have you written short and long assessment pieces before?
      -Can you walk me through your thought process in malware analysis?
      -What kind of analytic tool do you use to analyze malware?
      -What would your next steps be when you are analyzing a malware cluster?   Answer Question