FireEye Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
FireEye CEO/Board Member Kevin Mandia
Kevin Mandia

Cons

1. "Fireeye is a good place work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They treat their employees very well. Overall it is a positive place to work with a fairly loose management atmosphere.

Cons

Stock price has continued to drop.

Advice to Management

Pursue profitability at all costs.

2. "Passionate Place to Work"

I worked at FireEye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone there is very much excited about their work, always finding ways to innovate and be the best.
    Management always made sure our voices were heard and communicated to their superiors.
    The work itself was also fun and exciting.
    Laid back work environment.
    Pay was industry standard.
    Good benefits.

Cons

No 401k matching, which was unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Any company is going to have politics, but the less that occurs, the better.

3. "Director Business Development"

Former Employee - Alliance Director in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Alliance Director in McLean, VA

I worked at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products and services overall

Cons

Management is OK but products are limited

"VP"

I worked at FireEye full-time

Pros

Mostly nice people trying their absolute hardest to make this company work. Remnants of interesting technology that might save the company one day. Selling " boxes", with no API's, with no cloud products is challenging but the EVP of Products is world class and haas a chance to get it right.

Cons

Nasty culture set by HR. If you like working in a paranoid culture with everyone covering their backs with no communication or fun, then Fireeye is your company.

Advice to Management

Instead of just showing babies at company all hands, bring in real HR leadership with real experience and create a positive, transparent culture to give life and energy back to the employees.

"Great Potential Never Realized"

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still somewhat uniquely differentiated technology - albeit significantly diluted by the market catching up and lapses on internal execution (more on that in a minute). As mentioned on another post that sums it up well: mostly good people (largely at the mid and lower ranks) working insanely hard to do the right thing. It is still a $2B company so there is still some value.

Cons

A number of them but they can all eventually be rolled under these three:

Poor execution: poor transition from a high touch GTM model to one that would enable scale through an ecosystem of partners: that's ultimately on Marketing, Product and Sales leadership (read any analyst report that compares channel checks between PANW and FEYE and stock price as one data point to confirm). Potentially saving grace in Helix but it could also be a case of too little too late. Even if it is a success, it will be a feature of another platform; i.e. strategically, they've lost the high ground with any thought of being the platform that they rode early on pre/post IPO days.

Culture: not transparent, not employee-friendly. HR takes the 'H,' out of Human Resources w/how they handle everything from the basics to RIFs (you figure they'd at least get better over time). The 'free' lunch is not free folks (look at your pay stubs). Extremely political environment (running Game of Thrones jokes when I was there). All of this is a direct result of having . . .

Poor Executive leadership: the first CEO/CFO essentially dropped the first bomb on any semblance of a "we're all in this together," culture with the secondary offering. Long time/tenured foot soldiers watched as newer FOD (Friends of Dave) got hooked up. Since then, the stock has been in a slow and painful downward spiral. The second CEO/CFO team was stronger in management skills than the first but it was basically a battlefield promotion in a losing campaign. Current CEO is proven in building a world class services organization; the big question is if he can do the same with a technology company (CFO already has moved on at the time of this posting). The first sales VP made/saved the company; the second one contributed to the downward slide (but at least got recognized as one of the most well-paid sales execs by BI before being shown the door). Also mentioned on other posts, if the best your CMO can do at the SKO is show awkward home videos vs. strategy on the important things ("here's how we stave off competing marketing messages,"), well . . . then.

Advice to Management

See above. If the remaining members of the exec team can't see this, then for the sake of the rank and file employees they should move on now that they're vested.

"Never Gave Up"

Former Employee - Vice President in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Milpitas, CA

I worked at FireEye full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology, great talents, people who believe what they do are important and meaningful to the world;
    Experienced engineering veteran who understand product life cycle, who believe, who deliver;
    People at top are still trying to solve the problems, people, including those who left, still believe in the mission of the company.

Cons

be aware of the cultural conflict between product and services department, they share different mission, vision and value, not to mention approaches;
    layoffs and reorgs, when not properly handled, seems to create panics and frustration across the board;
    Low quality people were let in for the sake of cost cutting

Advice to Management

Every company has it's up and downs. FEYE, a 12 years old company, sure has been through a lot in the past 4 years. I have some advice to my friends there, the current management team:
    1. Focus on products that solve real problems of customers. That's how FEYE survived from near-death situation in the past, twice;
    2. Create consensus on the Mission, Vision and Values of FEYE; many good values got lost during the merger&acquisition,
    3. Never lower down the standard of hiring, do not hire low quality people for the sake of cost cutting
    4. take care of good people and reward them with recognition, options and bonuses, make sure that when FEYE finally pull through and thrive again, these loyal people will have huge financial return, and will be respected with good ranks in the company.
    5. When cut, cut quickly and enough, when grow, grow slow at a pace that the company can handle
    6. I think the founder of FEYE, Ashar Aziz had put together a really nice article called "Why I never Gave Up On My Startup", I hope you find it useful.
    7. lastly, you will need some luck. My heart goes with you as a proud alumni

8. "Analyst"

I have been working at FireEye full-time

Pros

Good working atmosphere. Smart individuals.

Cons

Promotions slow to take place

9. "We have to get back to blocking and tackling"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Cyber Security and hacking incidents are constantly in the news headlines
    2. FireEye is a leader in Cyber Security
    3. The company culture is supportive of new ideas
    4. The total compensation package is competitive with other local tech firms

Cons

1. Our "Go to Market" hasn't evolved with the company
    2. Some of our past acquisitions haven't paid off
    3. Stock is below it's IPO price
    4. Many rumors swirling around about the company's future

Advice to Management

Please fix our Go To Market we are a $2B+ public company. Our GTM has been largely ineffective for quite some time. As an example we recently launched a new critical product via a nonprofessional Facebook video with a low tech grease board for graphics. There is definitely something very wrong here.

"SLED Run by Poisonous Hobbits"

I worked at FireEye full-time

Pros

The company outside of SLED was great

Cons

The Napolean-syndrome management of SLED are bereft of any management or leadership skills. They turn anyone and everyone against each other--looking for any slight or bit of data they can use against the next person. They are never wrong--just ask them. With nearly 100% turnover, it's amazing they can still hire good people. But just give those new people a few minutes and they'll soon realize the (hobbit) emperor has no clothes--or skills. This is by far the most toxic environment i have ever worked in-by far. Given the stock has tanked and the technology has been surpassed by many, it's astonishing anyone is buying Fireeye.

"Great Technology bites dust."

I worked at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FireEye has awesome sandbox solution. There is no other solution that even comes close to Fireeye's detection capability.

Cons

The management team sucks big time. The people calling shots have no zeal and are clueless on how to monetize on the detection capability they have. The people designing cloud solution have no domain experience, let alone have experience in it.

The are more managers then engineers. While I was at FireEye, I had 3 people managing my project while I was only programmer on their only product which had growth.

Incompetent people get promotions and those could and were delivering results were let go in the name of cost cutting.

Those who have no experience in security and took retirement benefits from companies like Cisco, are managing teams and influencing security product design.

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers and directors. Empower engineers who can deliver.