FireEye Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
FireEye CEO/Board Member Kevin Mandia
Kevin Mandia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Reasonable work/life balance in most functions (in 27 reviews)

• Smart people, interesting business, free lunch, fun work outings (in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun Place to Work - Positive Outlook With New Management"

Current Employee - Services in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Services in Reston, VA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Over the past 2 years, Mandiant/iSight leadership has almost completely taken over FireEye and the culture/morale has improved dramatically.

- Fun culture and atmosphere, even for remote workers
    - Smart people who care about their mission
    - Ability to contribute and growing internal mobility
    - Good pay
    - Reasonable work/life balance in most functions
    - Solid and reasonably priced benefits

Cons

- Some (nice but non-essential) perks removed as they cost cut towards profitability - free lunch, some snacks, etc
    - No matching 401k

Advice to Management

Do better at marketing our hard work and innovation
    Match our 401K
    Keep driving forward

Feb 20, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your great ideas on how to improve life at FireEye! With our new go-to-market strategy, we are changing the way we market all of FireEye’s hard work and innovation. While we don’t... More

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the passion under the new CEO. A lot of the extravagant spending is gone, the focus is on execution. Upper management has the right vision. HR is good.

Cons

No free lunches, no 401k matching

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on profitability, retain good employees. What you are doing is working.

3. "Network Security Support Role"

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at FireEye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of startup hype around the company, fun job, competent and helpful colleagues. Demanding enterprise support atmosphere, good pay/benefits.

Cons

Felt like there was a disconnect between the culture put forth by corporate and the (micro)management in the satellite office. About the time they had their IPO the management became overly statistic-obsessed, spending all the time obsessing over numbers to effectively cultivate the team.

Advice to Management

In a challenging and constantly evolving environment, it is more important for management to have a good feel for team performance trends and the general atmosphere, rather than rigid statistical performance benchmarks.

Apr 16, 2018 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition Operations

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you had an overall positive experience during your time at FireEye. There is always a story behind any number, but it's also imperative that our... More

4. "engineer"

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work schedule; good environment; big company so good compensation

Cons

direction is very sporadic; the company is going lots of directions due to several buyouts

Advice to Management

need to get a handle on all the directions we're going; try not to make political choices

"Lots of changes being made, mostly negative and experimental"

I worked at FireEye full-time

Pros

Security Industry still has some respect for FireEye's Brand. The respect was build from the glory days, 2012-2014
    Great Medical Benefit

Cons

No job security, constant changes in senior management without a solid direction. Seems like they are still trying to figure out what they want to do. You can only pray that they make a good decision.
    No 401K matching, No Bonus pay,

Advice to Management

Most Management are from Mandiant and iSight acquisition, they do not have much experience running a product company, let along trying to run a profitable company. Unless you hire people with the right experience, the ship won't turn around. You can only keep trying and be failing so many times.

Apr 16, 2018 – Manager, Global Talent Acquisition Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've significantly evolved since the 2012-2014 time frame and, as a result of these changes, we are well-positioned to remain the leader in the... More

6. "Decent employer"

I worked at FireEye part-time

Pros

good location, hands off leadership

Cons

could have better atmosphere for employees

"No Future in Company"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at FireEye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good stocks if negotiated well

Cons

Please avoid this company. No future in this company.

Feb 20, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

We are sorry to hear your thoughts about our future at FireEye. In 2017, we made significant progress improving the value of our core products, while innovating solutions to drive our future growth... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at FireEye full-time

Pros

Great company vision and roadmap.

Cons

Problems translating vision into sales.

"Company sucks"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worst management Ive worked for in mu 30 years of working for high tech companies. Extremely disorganised. Arrogant leadership. HR has no direction, or even knows what they are doing. Benefits are very average. Pay smaller than others. Oh, wait, the free food was goosld

Cons

Oh, apart from that it was great!

Advice to Management

Get organized, and treat people as humans!

"Dated Technology, Cost Cutting Spiral Without Growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work in the wide-open field of cyber security. Rank and file engineers still seem to care and there are still some smart people doing useful new technology. Current CEO and upper management saved the company from going under (due to the previous CEO's unsustainable bad management and reckless, out-of-control spending), and have earned credibility with the workers "in the trenches".

Cons

Growth is slow and slowing. Management placates shareholders by a continual spiral of more and more cost cutting. Company just moved to a smaller square footage headquarters, and has now eliminated the perks you may see in earlier reviews: no more free lunches, no more free snacks or beverages. Instead, they're introducing a vending program to sell concessions to overworked employees (hiring has dried up, even for replacing some of the attrition). Technology is now dated because malware has moved on, away from the attacks that FireEye used to detect so well.

Middle management is an obstacle to success, mostly interested in not rocking the boat; don't bother looking for any leadership or technical direction from them. A recent employee meeting where resource and leadership concerns were raised was stifled by angry middle management who dodged responsibility while pushing more work onto people to make up for their own failed management.

Advice to Management

You need to address the long-standing, middle-management problem: get some real leaders in there! Your cost-cutting has accelerated too fast: cutting out free snacks/drinks at a time when workers are being asked to do more is a mistake, especially in the competitive job market of the Silicon Valley.

Feb 8, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

We are sorry to hear about your experience with us. Moving into our newer, larger HQ building has allowed many different departments to truly come together as one team, working towards our shared... More