Fisher Investments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

VP Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

A headhunter hooked me up with their recruitment firm and it went from there. The process has been about 1 1/2 months so far. I loved every part of the interview. This type of business and atmosphere is where I thrive. Competition only makes you a better salesperson. I truly hope I get this position as I am ready to start with this company. They have a great story and have a lot of pride in what they do and the care they give the clients. I have been very successful in similar roles and ready to get back out there and pound the pavement (phone).

Interview Questions

• What keeps you up at night?   2 Answers
    • How much money do you want to make?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA).

Interview

First there's a phone interview and then an in-person interview, all expenses covered. You have a series of consecutive interviews with different managers from different departments to see where you'll fit best.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something you want to share that's not on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Dallas, TX).

Interview

First they set up a quick phone interview. Lady was very nice and actually had a pleasant conversation regarding my resume and experiences. They then contacted me saying they would like to fly me out to their Dallas office for an in-person interview.

They converted flights, ubers, and meals which was very nice. When I arrived at the office I was greeted by a nice lady who quickly showed me the office. I sat in a room and waited for the interview to start.

The person who I spoke to seemed to not care at all. Kept looking at the clock, did not write one thing down, barely acknowledged anything I said. After maybe 10 mins he wrapped it up and sent me on my way.

Combine this experience with the fact that Fisher intentionally did not give specifics on the job, which turned out to be sales positions. I will not be accepting any offer even if they do offer. Seemed like they just flew me out to meet some type of quota and try to fill cold-calling sales positions nobody wants.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Got an initial call from a recruiter who set up a 20-30 minute phone interview. It was a very casual, open conversation where we discussed my resume, background, interests, and knowledge of the firm. Interviewer mentioned that the total hiring process takes roughly 4 - 6 weeks, including several rounds of in-person interviews.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Burlington, MA) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a brief phone introduction with a follow-up in person interview. When I arrived there were many other people there in the waiting room. It seemed like they were interviewing for jobs as well. The interviewer was very pleasant, but I feel like the job was much more sales oriented than was described in the ad or in the phone call.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

I began applying for two other positions I was interested in. Both times I made it through multiple screening processes before I was rejected for other candidates. So I waited a few months an reached out to the HR manager for both the positions I applied for and she discretely told me they favored internal candidates and that is (most likely) why I was not chosen for those roles. Since I was a recent college grad , they suggested applying for an entry level position. I applied for the "Launch Your Career" option to see if they'd be interested. I got a call about a week later asking to schedule an on-site interview with three departments that were interested in me since I'd already done an HR phone screening. I accepted, and since this wasn't the first time I had been brought in for an interview, I did not recieve the typical 15-minute campus tour. Instead they sat me straight down, offered me water and a book as I waited. I ended up interviewing with three managers in sales and customer support roles. Each had a contrasting personality and asked certain kinds of questions. They also seemed impressed with the research I had done on them and the company. All went well, besides the slightly confused HR Coordinator (she was kind, but could not remeber my name and seemed generally overworked.) They told me they would contact me with a decision within 2 weeks. As per the rest of the process, I did not hear back until the afternoon of the 14th day where they said I needed to do one more interview with the VP. I scheduled this for next the week. During the interview they asked a few questions surrounding why I wanted to go into this role as well as why I wanted to work in Finance. They seemed to be trying to gauge which of the two roles they presided over that I would want. They gave me an offer and rundown of benefits at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you fixed it.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

It was pretty simple and the recruiter was pretty nice. She guided me into the interview, she paused too much. And kept insetting that most people think their entry level positions are difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself ?
      What makes you an ideal candidate?   Answer Question

Investment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA) in May 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by an external recruiter, referred to an inside recruiter, had a background check, invited to Portland/Camas WA HQ, interviewed with 3 managers and had a mock phone call about passive vs active investing and current market conditions.

The interviewers didn't seem very interested in much that I had to say. They all seemed tired, negative and very off-putting. One of the interviewers said that they were having 3 interviews that day. Another said that they are hiring a lot of people and interviewing a lot of people for positions. There seems to be a lot of growth there. The second interviewer mentioned that it's expected that you drink the coolaid at first, which was odd. That second interviewer did say that a huge positive about the position is the ability to move laterally or move up, which is nice.

The employees in the office there seem to like being there, there's a very diverse work force, hq is surrounded by beautiful scenery and mountains so it is a certainly impressive and positive work environment from my perspective.

The product sounds very far less than stellar. For those who are coming from a planning background like me, you will have really a difficult time. This is first and foremost a money manager not a financial advisory firm. Most portfolios are significantly or fully equity focused. There is also no financial planning tools. I asked how portfolios were created for each client and noticed that he didn't mention risk tolerance (only client goals, income needs and time horizon). So of course as a financial planner, I asked about how risk tolerance plays into the portfolio and it did NOT garner a positive response. It almost felt like the interviewer was talking down to me as if I didn't know why someone with a long time horizon would want to invest in anything but an all equity portfolio.

I can't say it's a bad company, but I'm certain that it's not something that I would be comfortable with. Hopefully for them there's no market crash.

Interview Questions

• They just asked about my background and why I wanted to move jobs. Make sure to answer how you think they want you to answer - not how you really feel. Review all their material - even the benefits stuff. The mock phone call was not what I was expecting - be prepared to answer why they shouldn't move their money to Vanguard.   Answer Question

Investor Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter that lasted about 20 minutes for the position of Investor Relations Associate in San Mateo. Asked about 5 questions and then my questions were answered at the end.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview consisted of 2 calls and one in person interview with multiple people talking to me about potential openings at the company. The first two calls seemed to go through without any problems and even the 3rd interview was not bad at all, however I did not receive a position with the company and I do not know why. I would have liked to have known what I did wrong so that I may be better in the future, however their company policy forbids that (and I realize for good reason... but I still am curious to know).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to switch from your major into the world of business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Plano, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

Very brief phone conversation due to lack of alignment with the position I applied to. We covered some basic "house-keeping" questions about where I'm located relative to the office I applied for, when I would be available to start, explanation of what the typical base salary is (Plano office is $50k at 50 hours per week as of posting) and what salary range I was looking for.

When I started to describe my job search, looking for analytics roles, my interviewer clarified that due to the newness of the office and small size, there are only customer service-type roles available right now. They are expecting to expand and have other roles present later, but did not offer much insight on how long out that would be.

For TEXAS job hunters looking for a non-customer service role, be aware that for the next several months (maybe years) there won't be any roles here for them to offer.