Fisher Investments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

VP Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

A headhunter hooked me up with their recruitment firm and it went from there. The process has been about 1 1/2 months so far. I loved every part of the interview. This type of business and atmosphere is where I thrive. Competition only makes you a better salesperson. I truly hope I get this position as I am ready to start with this company. They have a great story and have a lot of pride in what they do and the care they give the clients. I have been very successful in similar roles and ready to get back out there and pound the pavement (phone).

Interview Questions

• What keeps you up at night?   2 Answers
    • How much money do you want to make?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

I began applying for two other positions I was interested in. Both times I made it through multiple screening processes before I was rejected for other candidates. So I waited a few months an reached out to the HR manager for both the positions I applied for and she discretely told me they favored internal candidates and that is (most likely) why I was not chosen for those roles. Since I was a recent college grad , they suggested applying for an entry level position. I applied for the "Launch Your Career" option to see if they'd be interested. I got a call about a week later asking to schedule an on-site interview with three departments that were interested in me since I'd already done an HR phone screening. I accepted, and since this wasn't the first time I had been brought in for an interview, I did not recieve the typical 15-minute campus tour. Instead they sat me straight down, offered me water and a book as I waited. I ended up interviewing with three managers in sales and customer support roles. Each had a contrasting personality and asked certain kinds of questions. They also seemed impressed with the research I had done on them and the company. All went well, besides the slightly confused HR Coordinator (she was kind, but could not remeber my name and seemed generally overworked.) They told me they would contact me with a decision within 2 weeks. As per the rest of the process, I did not hear back until the afternoon of the 14th day where they said I needed to do one more interview with the VP. I scheduled this for next the week. During the interview they asked a few questions surrounding why I wanted to go into this role as well as why I wanted to work in Finance. They seemed to be trying to gauge which of the two roles they presided over that I would want. They gave me an offer and rundown of benefits at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you fixed it.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

It was pretty simple and the recruiter was pretty nice. She guided me into the interview, she paused too much. And kept insetting that most people think their entry level positions are difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself ?
      What makes you an ideal candidate?   Answer Question

Investment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA) in May 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by an external recruiter, referred to an inside recruiter, had a background check, invited to Portland/Camas WA HQ, interviewed with 3 managers and had a mock phone call about passive vs active investing and current market conditions.

The interviewers didn't seem very interested in much that I had to say. They all seemed tired, negative and very off-putting. One of the interviewers said that they were having 3 interviews that day. Another said that they are hiring a lot of people and interviewing a lot of people for positions. There seems to be a lot of growth there. The second interviewer mentioned that it's expected that you drink the coolaid at first, which was odd. That second interviewer did say that a huge positive about the position is the ability to move laterally or move up, which is nice.

The employees in the office there seem to like being there, there's a very diverse work force, hq is surrounded by beautiful scenery and mountains so it is a certainly impressive and positive work environment from my perspective.

The product sounds very far less than stellar. For those who are coming from a planning background like me, you will have really a difficult time. This is first and foremost a money manager not a financial advisory firm. Most portfolios are significantly or fully equity focused. There is also no financial planning tools. I asked how portfolios were created for each client and noticed that he didn't mention risk tolerance (only client goals, income needs and time horizon). So of course as a financial planner, I asked about how risk tolerance plays into the portfolio and it did NOT garner a positive response. It almost felt like the interviewer was talking down to me as if I didn't know why someone with a long time horizon would want to invest in anything but an all equity portfolio.

I can't say it's a bad company, but I'm certain that it's not something that I would be comfortable with. Hopefully for them there's no market crash.

Interview Questions

• They just asked about my background and why I wanted to move jobs. Make sure to answer how you think they want you to answer - not how you really feel. Review all their material - even the benefits stuff. The mock phone call was not what I was expecting - be prepared to answer why they shouldn't move their money to Vanguard.   Answer Question

Investor Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter that lasted about 20 minutes for the position of Investor Relations Associate in San Mateo. Asked about 5 questions and then my questions were answered at the end.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed   1 Answer

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Vancouver, WA).

Interview

Wasted my time. They contacted me for a sales role. I wasn't interested in that role and later was interviewed for other positions including client services, which I was interested in. They weren't interested in me for that and, according to company policy, they "can't" give feedback. Ridiculous.

Wasted my time and a lot of stress including a phone screening, 4 interviews back to back, an assignment, background check, and then another interview call. Forget this company and don't bother flying over.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

Extremely long process, but great people over all. It started with a series of phone and video interviews, and ended with a face to face. The initial phone interview was about 30 minutes. After that the progressively longer.

Interview Questions

• If you could tell me one sure way how to sell, what would it be?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

Basic questions on personal traits and goals. Mostly let me do the talking. Interviewer kept quiet for minutes after asking questions. Measuring your effectiveness on the phone while asking relevant questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get into finance?   1 Answer

Investor Relations Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments in April 2018.

Interview

This is a reveiw of the initial HR phone screening call. I first received a call asking if I was interested. I was scheduled to interview with the HR rep later that afternoon. The questions were pretty straight forward. This HR rep did a good job of prodding into my answers to find out more. Her interest seemed genuine. Questions revolved around their business model, my resume, and my career goals.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you failed at something and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

Investment Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments in April 2018.

Interview

Had a phone interview after I met a human resources representative at my Universities career fair. Flew me out to their office in San Mateo, CA where I met with one individual in person and then two video interviews with other individuals in their Camas, WA office. When I got home they scheduled me for another video interview with the hiring manager.