Grab Software Engineer, Backend Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grab Software Engineer, Backend Interview Questions

Interviews at Grab

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grab (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Small, well structured group in Seattle. Quick interview process, one meeting with senior director and then three SDE type interviews which were quite challenging. The team is good, efficient team.

Interview Questions

• Schedule meetings with least number of conference rooms, print vertical traversal of binary tree, AWS based architecture questions (how to handle failures, design Spotify like service), optimize a file sharing service running out of one box, solve maze with barriers.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Grab

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grab.

Interview

Onsite interview with 4 Grab Engineers, including Hiring Manager. HR was really professional. Hiring decision was faster too. Really liked their expectations in an interview. they were not looking you to solve an very hard algorithm questions rather they are looking if you can succeed in approaching medium problems with best solutions.

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grab.

Interview

Called people on week day for interview citing reason that people are coming from Singapore for it. But it was a plain lie. There was not a single person from there. Before they said there would be 3 rounds and it would be day processes. But when we reached there we were told that managers are not there so they will take two rounds only and next round will happen next week. But did not call me. I called them so many times but they did not respond.

Initially they show excitement but all change once you come back to home after the interview

Interview Questions

• Maze problem - Given a 2D matrix with 0 & 1 only, where 1 means you can move to that cell. You need to tell if you can reach to m, n from 1,1.

System design question. Design QR code system for a grocery shop.   1 Answer

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grab (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2017.

Interview

The Interview Process Was well organised and planned. I had 4 rounds.
    First round was Screening round, In which Arrays and Trees questions were asked
    Second and Third round was F2F @bangalore office, I was asked questions on System Design, Microservices, DS/Algorithm etc(Specially on trees).
    Final round was manager round In which the focus was on the work/projects done.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grab (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2019.

Interview

I participated in a hiring drive in Grab, Bangalore for the position of Software Engineer (Backend) role in Singapore.
    I was given a codility test to solve. It was an easy question.
    I got a mail a week later informing me about my selection for the F2F interview at Bangalore office.
    In the first round i was asked to code a real world problem. I reduced that problem to a basic algorithmic problem and told the data structure that I would use. The interviewer asked me all the internal details of the data structure I would use and some follow up questions.
    In the second round, it was a design round. The interviewer asked about scale the whole time.
    It didn't go my way in the round and I was asked to leave for the day.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of restaurants find the k nearest restaurants to the user   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Grab (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

I applied it through LinkedIn. Got the call from from HR. Who firstly schedule the first round(Telephonic) on any random date without asking me. Then after request she changed the date.I had Total four rounds of interview one (Skype call) and three onsite. Overall all interview level was good. After taking all these rounds, HR told me that she will call me on some other date. Their HRs are so unprofessional that they don't even bother to reply back to the candidate.
    After so many calls she finally picked up the call and talked so rudely. Even in the Hiring Manager round , Hiring Manager was busy doing his stuff as if he is forcefully taking the interview.
    Advice to the company is to hire some good and professional HRs.

Interview Questions

• Connect Nodes at the same level
      String Questions
      General thread based questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Grab in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through referral.
    I did a Codility test at first, you don't need to get 100% to get an interview invite.

In the first round, there was one interview - some basic coding problems, nothing too difficult. The interviewer was helpful.

In the second round, there were two back-to-back tech interviews. These consisted of much more difficult coding problems. The interviewers were again very cooperative.

The third round, the whole interview was system design and boy-oh-boy, it was seriously difficult! ( at least to someone like me - fresh graduate with some competitive experience and zero industry expereince ) The interviewer was much tougher too. I didn't feel I did well so, I was quite surprised when I got the offer 24 hours later!

Interview Questions

• Some typical and not-so-typical ones. Leetcode and Interviewbit should be helpful.   1 Answer

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grab (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

The recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn.
    Recruiter briefed about the interview process.
    1st Round, a screening round covering breadth
    2nd Round - 2 interviews -- This was focused on algorithms/problem solving/coding and design.
    3rd Round - Hiring Manager -- This was focused on Design, Problem Solving and I think Cultural Fit.

Interview Questions

• The first round was a Question and Answer session. Multiple Questions and simple answers to check for the awareness.
      Eg: How do you limit a content download if it exceeds an allowed size?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Interview

First codility test(Equi 3-sum of array), followed by 2 onsite technical rounds mostly on binary trees and arrays, some OS and networking questions followed by skype round which was again technical round from singapore. Hr communication in whole process was very poor, they don't bother to reply unless you drop mail to them multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Equi 3-sum of array.
      Mostly on binary trees, arrays.
      Library function to convert string to integer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Grab in June 2017.

Interview

1 coding round.

Telephonic interview ques:
    bitwise AND of 2 numbers
    flip the ith bit. Then without ~ .
    check if balanced parantheses.())() {[]}
    Regex for +6512345678 i.e. +65 followed by 8 digits
    Stream of digits, how to print avg of last n digits. How big can n be?
    debugger features? what is stackframe?
    How can you find an application running on a port?
    You are writing code for a client which downloads files from a server. How do you restrict the file size? eg.not allow download of more than 500KB (Hint: using HTTP)

Some ques were easy, some were quite confusing.

Interview Questions

• bitwise AND of 2 numbers
      flip the ith bit. Then without ~ .   Answer Question