Grassroots Campaigns Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Grassroots Campaigns

1.9

Political Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (West Palm Beach, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

The process was very rapid. I applied online one day and got a phone call the next day to set up an interview the same day. Took about an hour, because three other people showed up as well. We filled out about two forms and an authorization for a background check. The interviewer took us into a room for a very casual 1:1 and took at most 15 minutes until I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a part of this campaign?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the national office in Boston, and then a face-to-face interview. The phone interview was very casual, they were originally considering me for an assistant director role, but after talking a little about my experience they said they would recommend me to the regional office for a lead director role. The face to face interview was pretty standard. It lasted about 45-50 minutes. We discussed my experience and background and what I had studied in my degree. We also talked a lot about what issues I was passionate about. They really wanted to know about times I had been in a leadership role and if I could meet goals and deadlines and if I was comfortable recruiting.

They said they really liked me for the role and wanted me, but that it would be a week or so before I got a formal offer while they worked out salary, etc. with HR (we're in California and home office/HR is in Boston).

Interview Questions

• What's your experience with canvassing?   Answer Question
    • What do you think the differences are between working with volunteers and employees?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

this company is seriously the worst!!! don't not waste your time with them. my experience just attempting to interview with them was dreadful... let me start at I saw an add posted for the position
    on indeed.com. so I applied, easy application, and they got back to me a few days later extending a phone interview. so I called and we set up a phone interview about a week later. then the day of the interview comes around and I'm waiting on the call and... nothing. I wait for a little while think maybe the interviewer is running behind NBD; 45 mins later and I call the national headquarters and the call goes to a voicemail. then I get a call about an hour later apologizing that their systems were down so they were unable to make the call and asked to reschedule. I email back and said okay that's fine so we reschedule; they scheduled me for 4 days later. then that day comes and they call and we chat for about 10 mins (mainly them just talking about what they do and they ask you like one question about what kind of issues you're passionate about) after that they asked me the go onto the 2nd round of the interviewing process with an in person interview at their office. they scheduled the face to face interview for another 5 days later and asked me to email them 3 references. so I did just that, but like 2 days after we had spoken on the phone I get an email from them saying they all of a sudden couldn't get someone down to the affiliate office I was interviewing at so they requested to re-schedule me for a Skype interview another 3 days later *RED FLAG* (should have just declined the offer then but I accepted, naively). so then the day of the Skype interview comes around and I'm prepared in front of the camera waiting for the call and guess what (surprise, surprise...) NOTHING. I waited 30 minutes until I called their office again informing them of the situation and they put me on hold for like about 15 minutes trying to figure out what's going on and when they come back on the line they inform me that my interviewer is actually out sick and will not be able to do the interview today (irritated is an understatement). they could not have told me this via email or phone PRIOR?... I mean hello?? what kind of organization operates like this? so unprofessional. so like grassroots campaigns fashion, they ask to reschedule the skype interview AGAIN. so this time they send me a confirmation email telling me exactly who my interview, what time it will be, and conforming that they have my correct skype usernames to reach me. now it's 8 days later, finally the day of the rescheduled Skype interview and I thought by this time they surely would have it all together and boy was I wrong. so 30 mins past interview time rolls around and I still have received the Skype call and I'm beyond livid at this point. I call the office again :-)... they pick up and I tell them what happened all over again and this time they put me on hold for about 20 mins and the person comes back and says we want to get you on the phone to speak with your interviewer but he is currently not in the room so we'll have have him call you soon. at this point I couldn't care list of they deleted my name out of their system, I was so turned off by this organization. so in due timing (an hour later lol) they call back try to reschedule and I respectfully DECLINED! this organization is seriously a joke and if all the other million negative reviews didn't turn you away hopefully this one got the point across nicely.

Interview Questions

Such an unprofessional organization - it's sad.

Canvass Director Interview

Application

I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns in October 2014.

Interview

They were slightly too eager to hire...red flag. Also, they mislead about what the position really is, it is a door-to-door position with extremely vigorous hours and if you do not meet the quota then you are all but useless.

Interview Questions

Long hours small pay not worth it

Canvass Director Interview

Interview

I interviewed originally at my University's job fair which was fairly standard questions about leadership and my general experience in activism. After we had finished the interviewee asked me to come into their offices for a second round interview. About a week later I went in and met with one person and spoke for about 20 minutes about similar topics but she asked me more specific examples of tough situations.

Interview Questions

• If the lock to the office door was closed and you absolutely needed to get in to get canvassing materials to meet the team at the site in a very short time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (Berkeley, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Lies...lies...lies

I was first interviewed over the phone by an Assistant National Recruiting Director, I believe? She asked me about my experiences. After I told her my salary expectations (I was earning 45K in Texas) she told me the salary is 26-29K if I wanted to run an office in Kansas City!? She reassured me the cost of living would offset the salary and I told her that this was not what I was told in the initial screening and that I had to decline the job and then she pivoted to either NYC or Bay Area since they pay more. I asked "how much?" *btw the fact that I even did this informally shows how desperate they are* and she told me 49K. What she didn't tell me was this was hourly and I had to work 60+ hours a week at minimum wage w/ NO INCENTIVE PAY.

I wanted to leave TX to move to CA so I stupidly say okay. Even though the pay was 4k more than what I made in TX the cost of living is so expensive! Why they feel the need to pay canvassers/field managers/directors minimum wage is beyond me.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in canvassing?   Answer Question
    • They asked me about my BA, which is funny because that's the only way they consider you for a role like this.   Answer Question
    • Experience working with paid staff v volunteers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a fairly simple interview. Doing your research about the companies and the values that they claim to practice as well as knowing your strengths will leave you well prepared.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (New York, NY).

Interview

You get a call, and they have you meet at their office. Without really telling you what it is you are interviewing for until after you get there. Once you get there they finally give you what the job would be, and that if hired, (which it seems they hire almost everyone who walks in there, because several people I walked out with also got the job.) will have three training days to make a certain amount of money, or will be let go. You are then interviewed one-on-one.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had any canvassing qualifications?
      Which organization would you want to work for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Brief information session with some of the history of the company, followed by individual interviews with a Director. The only real way to screw up the interview was if you're anti-LGBTQ or women's equality.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you would canvass someone for a campaign for (insert partner organization).   Answer Question

Canvasser Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grassroots Campaigns.

Interview

Walked in, waited a while. Had a group interview. Then broke off into individual interviews. Got a call back when I got home. Really easy as long as you legitimately care about the organizations Grassroots works with.