Huron Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2017

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied for an analyst role my senior year of college. The interview process was pretty straight forward.

Round 1 was an on site campus interview that had a mix of behavioral/math/and case questions. The behavioral was relatively easy and straightforward as was the math question (they really just want to see how you think). The case question was also relatively simple. It is not like a typical case question instead they just want to see what you would look into to solve a problem a hospital is experiencing.

Round 2 - onsite interview in Chicago office. If you make it to this round, they are definitely interested. This is more to see if you will be a good fit for the company. no more case questions just behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Huron? Why this role?
      What would you look into if a hospital was having difficulties with its call wait time?   Answer Question

Travel & Expense Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online to their Chicago office, about a week later someone from HR contacted to schedule an initial phone interview. The engagement was very "cold" and felt like Huron's corporate culture may be similar. Prior to the interview, I reached out to someone at Huron to try connect and maybe get a feel for the company. Sadly I had no takers, which again raised red flags to the type of corporate culture one may find at Huron. You want a collaborative, friendly environment and when no one in the company is willing to engage or talk about how great the company is, that's a warning.

Huron categorizes itself as a Business Services organization, however, based on my conversations with them they don't really qualify for that sector. They have the feel of a very operational firm, still in its infancy, trying to grow into a business services organization. However, at their core, they appeared to be just an implementation firm helping companies do the actual software configurations and physical implementations. There was zero attention or focus on any type of strategy, customer engagement, customer experience, or anything you would get from the more advanced firms.

Huron is still trying to figure this department out. It has been moved around a few times and I wasn't convinced yet they really understand their market, their customer, or how to approach either. It is also one of their smaller departments with only 25 consultants nationwide. The role I was interviewing for was a managers role, however, their description of the role during the interview again felt extremely junior. They advertise personal growth and learning as part of their core values, but unless you are a new graduate with zero work experience I didn't really make the connection between their organizational talent pool and opportunities to learn and grow. I didn't have the impression they are looking to hire clever staff. It was more of a focus on hard skills and very operational.

Interview questions weren't really standard, in my opinion. They were fairly old fashioned. One question was, "walk me through your career timeline." This is a question people asked in the 80's. The modern take on this is, "tell me about yourself." So again, their line of questioning seemed very "junior" and evolving. The way an employer engages with you is a clear indication of what kind of organization you will be entering. If their interview questions are reminiscent of last century, then the way they engage with clients is probably not far off. So if you are fresh out of school with a technical degree, Huron would probably be a great stepping stone into the professional world. If you have more than 3 years of experience, Huron probably isn't the place for you.

During the interview, I think the interviewer forgot that the interviewing process is a two-way street. I was just as interested in interviewing Huron as they were interviewing me. So when I asked questions, I’m not sure the interviewer realized I was “sizing” them up. It was really an old fashion approach of here is a question, now give me your rehearsed answer. There was no form of real conversation going on. Huron was very good about getting back to me in a timely manner. Within a week I knew their intent for my application, this was very positive. However the second I hung up the phone, I wanted to withdraw my application.

In the end, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and instead sent a follow-up email trying to reshape the conversation into something more "managerial." However, I didn't have the impression it was well received. Again, an organization who is not flexible, innovative or approaches problem-solving creatively is a tell-tell sign on how they operate and how they will engage with you and their customers. Based on my conversation I can only imagine the type conversations they are having with their customer base.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your career. Why Huron? Why Travel & Expense? Have you written the auditing and tax site configuration policies for XYZ technology? Have you programmed and configured yourself, hands-on, for XYZ technology?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group in April 2017.

Interview

Employee referral that lead to a screen with a recruiter. Recruiter was 10 minutes late to the call and then said had a hard stop, so lasted only 20 minutes, so could not ask any questions. They said that despite 5 years of work experience since I did not have consulting experience would need to start as an entry level analyst. They said there were no roles at that time but would keep in touch in case anything came up. I tried to follow-up however the recruiter was not responsive.

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

Interview

Phone screening interview, then a phone behavioral interview. Then a morning at the office with a couple of interviews - I believe it was another behavioral interview, a case interview, a learning interview where you talk with someone about the role you are applying for, and a Q&A panel where you get to ask analysts any questions you have. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• The case interview was about a hospital cafeteria that needed financial help. What would you do to figure out the problem, what would you recommend, what do you think the possible downsides would be from your recommendation, etc. The interviewer asks guiding questions, which is really helpful.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

Interview

I applied, got an interview on campus about 2 weeks later, and then was offered a final interview that same day and went to New York for a half day interview at the end of the week. It took them 4-5 weeks to get back to me with their final decision.

The one on campus involved some behavioral questions, some about my resume, and a small case interview. The final interview took place in their New York office. An employee reached out before to help me with the interview process/ answer any questions. Once I got to the New York office, I had breakfast with two employees and three other applicants, where we asked questions about working at the company. I was then was taken to the office I would be in for the rest of my time there. I had two case interviews and one behavioral one. My first interview involved one of the employees coming in and explaining the case. He gave me a packet of four or five patients involved in a medical trial and a page describing the rules and regulations that surrounded medical trials. From there, I was given 45 mins-1 hour to determine whether the medical trail was compliant with regulations. The same person then came in and we discussed what I had found and working at the firm.

For the second case, I was given a computer. Someone came in and gave me another packet with three questions that resembled word problems. She explained the problems to me and gave me an hour to work on them. These questions regarded market growth, company growth, and what macroeconomic factors of could cause growth/ shrinkage. I used excel (mostly for relatively easy calculations) and had to do research. When she came back in, we went over the problems. She also asked me about where I found my research and how/why I trusted the sources.

The behavioral interview part was pretty straight forward. I was asked questions about my resume, strengths, weaknesses, and a time when I had to deal with conflict in a group and had to learn something quickly.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I applied through the career center on campus. The first interview was an on campus interview. First half was behavior and the second half was a case interview (order can be switched too). The interview was primarily interviewer led and fit a basic case format.

On site had an informal meeting with three entry-level consultants followed by two fit interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you were going to start your own company what would be five values you'd want the company to have?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Telephone interview with HR. She provided a very vague description of the job. Very direct no soft skills.
    Telephone interview with the hiring manager.
    In person interview with 6 people. One of the female interviewers was 20 minutes late for the interview. She was dressed in sneakers yet they felt the need to remind me to dress in business attire; they should pass the same to their management staff. Hiring manager did not know how to conduct the test he created. Myself and the smartest and most attentive interviewer walked him through how he should have conducted the test.
    The environment didn't appear diverse. Nepotism exist - the hiring manager and another interviewer were both hired by the CIO.
    The use out date technology.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laramie, WY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Laramie, WY) in February 2017.

Interview

The process involves an informational interview with employees at Huron, This was then followed by a formal interview with a managing director and an interviewer. I was then notified that I received the position by the interviewer.

Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Typical interview process, screening phone interview, in person one to one, then third interview with 3 different individuals. Hard process, but to be expected. They were wonderful in the process and gave me updates when they had them. Were always professional and they notified me with a phone call that I was the runner-up for the position, along with feedback of why. Extremely helpful and respectable in the way they did things. The way this team functioned as I candidated, I will be checking back for other open positions.

Interview Questions

• Many questions regarding very specific difficult situations one has been through professionally, also questions on specific experiences you have with each of their core values.   Answer Question

Life Sciences Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Huron recruits out of colleges but I applied online. I was emailed 1.5 months later about having a phone interview. First round interview on the phone, lasted approximately 25 minutes. Asked basic resume/ behavioral questions and the other half of the interview was learning about the role, the company, expectations for travel/ when to start.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work at (current employer).   1 Answer