National Instruments Engineering Leadership Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Instruments Engineering Leadership Program Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments in January 2017.

Interview

I talked to NI at my college career fair and they were there to specifically interview for ELP. After a 20 minute discussion with the recruiter, they said they'd email us if we got an interview. I received an interview and it took place a couple days later on campus. The interview was half behavioral and half technical. The technical questions were fairly easy and exactly the ones that are posted on this site. They haven't changed the questions in like 10 years.

Interview Questions

• How does a microphone work?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The National Instruments interview process is by far the most organized, talent-seeking, and mentally stimulating process I have been put through while applying for a job.

It began on campus while speaking to them at the career fair. A few general questions and they ask you and then they give you a chance to talk. The recruiters are great. Don't be fooled though, you are being evaluated right from the get go!

Second there was an on campus interview 2 days later. They interviewed 30 or so students on campus during the week they were there. The interview was 30 minutes biographical and 45 minutes of technical problem solving. Lots of questions about leadership and situational decision making. The technical portion was challenging, but they don't expect you to know the answers. They want to see how you think and the questions you ask. Everybody there knows what they are doing, so BS'ing will not work for the technical portion.

Lastly, you go to Austin for a few days of final round interviews. 4 students from my school were invited down for a full 8 hours of interviewing, then given 2 nights there to roam the city and see if you like Austin (all paid for). You are given a sponsor for the weekend and they will offer up some fun activities for you. Oh... And ALL THE FOOD IS AMAZING (and again, paid for).

The process was so wonderfully organized it took all the pressure off and you could just have fun. There are 6 interviews during your day on their campus -company fit, biographical, your choice of two company department heads you prefer in advance, another technical interview, and then a prepared 10-15 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. It is mentally draining, but an amazing experience.

Have fun and soak it up. I learned more in the interviews on some subjects than I have in many classes in college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I talked with the recruiter at the college career fair, which got me the on campus interview. The on campus interview was a 45 minute personality interview followed by a technical interview. If you want to work at National Instruments, make sure you know your DSP and hardware. I was asked about aliasing, minimum sampling frequencies, and the number of channels in an 8-bit DAQ.

Soon after, I was invited in about a week or two to an on-site interview. I was flown out to Austin, TX to complete the interview, which was an all day event. There was a cultural fit interview, followed by a behavioral interview, and two technical interviews. The systems engineering technical interview was particularly difficult, but I'm not a EE, so that may have been part of it. Afterwards, there was a tour of the office.

I received an offer and was given a generous extension to fit my university's recruiting guidelines. NI provides an interview buddy that helps you navigate the interview day and being able to ask them questions was very helpful. NI sounds like a great company to work for, but I'm not sure if it ultimately fits with my long term goals.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a bad leader you've worked under and why were they a bad leader?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interviewer asked me a few behavioral questions about leadership and community, then moved to technical questions. The technical questions weren't difficult, I think they wanted to see how you problem solve.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went out of your way to help somebody. Preferably within work or school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Davis, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Campus career fair and interview. The interview process was relatively painless. After a few technical questions they asked why I was interested in working at National Instruments and about my engineering background. They asked what were my long term goals for the future if I were to work at their company.

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments.

Interview

Went very well. Was interviewed by two people, one in the position and one that had previously been in the position. I went in and they asked me several behavioral questions and then a couple of technical questions.

Interview Questions

• You're given an array of numbers from 1-100, one number is missing, find the missing number.   Answer Question
    • How would you take someone's voice and convert it to a signal that can be used on a computer.   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at National Instruments in September 2015.

Interview

Met them at a career fair, they told me to attend an info session, and later that evening they called to schedule an hour long interview for the next day. I guess they wanted to make sure that the people who they interviewed were dedicated enough to go out of there way fro the career fair to meet with them at another time.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where a long cable has a lot of noise from circumstances you cannot change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (College Station, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Went to career fair and applied online and got an interview a week later on campus. Ask 3 behavioral questions and 2 technical questions. The behavioral questions were pretty simple and just asked how you worked in a team setting. The technical questions were a little more challenging but they helped out work it out and really wanted to know how you think rather than the correct answer.Then you had the opportunity to ask questions you had about the company or the program in general. It was overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you find a missing number in an array from 1-100? They wanted to see you write some pseudocode. The other question dealt with a microphone and connecting that to a computer. (The other questions I can't remember right now but they were generally the same questions as the ones already listed on glassdoor).   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments in September 2015.

Interview

Handed my resume to one of the recruiters at a career fair. Got an interview the following week. Pretty standard interview. Around 3-5 behavioral questions and 2 technical questions. 1 programming and 1 hardware question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Provo, UT) in September 2015.

Interview

I met with a representative from NI at a university career fair. I was interested in the ELP position so I gave them a resume and they called me later that day to set up an interview. I only had an in person interview, which consisted of 3 behavior questions, 1 hardware related question and 1 software related question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I handled a situation where I took the initiative on a project.   Answer Question