National Instruments Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Instruments Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at National Instruments

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online for the ELP position and heard back the next day. Later that week we set up a quick phone screen (basically do you know what the position is). After that we set up another phone interview that was about an hour long with some behavioral and technical questions.

After the phone interviews, I was invited out to Austin for an on-campus interview. They paid for the plane ticket and a nice hotel close to NI. The all day interviews were more taxing than I expected them to be but pretty laid back overall. As someone relatively new to the interview process, I made some mistakes asking questions that I probably shouldn't have. The on site interview also had technical questions that were more difficult than the ones in the phone interview but still manageable.

Interview Questions

• How to connect a microphone to a computer.   1 Answer
  • Missing element in 101 element array from 0 to 100.   1 Answer
  • Something about edge detection algorithm.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for National Instruments

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

Day long interview process with 1 group technical presentations and 5 specialty interviews. The interviews are relaxed and easy. The people that are targeted for ELP are typically friendly and highly communicative (with exceptions).

Interview Questions

• Technical, behavioral, salary, specialty 1, specialty 2   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview and then a day at the corporate campus in Austin. You are interviewed by multiple people throughout the day and have to give a technical presentation. There is a mixture of situation and technical interviews and interview questions throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• How would you code to find the value of a grey scale image?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Met on campus, then invited on site to their HQ in Austin, TX. Interview day consisted of 5 interviews and a 10 minute technical presentation. 1 Interview of background general HR questions about salary and other expectations, 1 technical interview which involved 2 lengthy questions (1 on hardware and 1 on software, everyone was asked the same question no matter what major you are coming from), 2 interviews for the specific role you are interested in (ex: Product Marketing or Sales or R&D), and then 1 more interview on behavioral questions I think it was. Technical presentation was a topic of your choosing and straightforward. After, you are taken out to dinner with current employees and your host employee (which every candidate on-site has for the weekend). The next day you are free to roam the city of Austin, and then you go back home the day after usually.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you decided on taking a more ethical approach to a task even if it made things more difficult. Other reviews on here were pretty helpful with general questions to expect. Especially for the on-campus interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at National Instruments (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The "technical" questions were the same ones you find on google. I didn't get the sense that they want tech talent. It was pretty obvious that they're drawing sales people from engineering majors, which is something I'm not interested. I would have gone into sales. The interviewers seemed pretty young, I got the sense that they don't have a ton of experience outside of their company.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I came into contact with them at a University career fair. I then had a in person interview the next day with one of the recruiters. He asked me two basic technical questions. After a while they asked me to come to Austin for an interview. They fly or pay to drive you down to Austin and invite you to stay the whole weekend. The interview is on a Friday but they pay for you to stay in a hotel until Sunday and even arrange hosts from the company to meet with you on Saturday and take you to different parts of Austin. They also give you per diem to pay for any meals or parking you may have to pay. They were very generous and accommodating throughout the interview process. The technical questions they ask generally they just walk you through a process. They are kind of tricky but if you just think aloud you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• If you have an array of 100 randomly arranged integers, ranging 0-100, how do you find out which element from 0-100 is not in the list?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

First round interview was at school campus. A few behavioral and technical questions.

Second round was at Austin, TX. Five half hour interviews in one day, and a 10 minute technical presentation on a topic of your choosing. Software/Hardware and some departmental interviews.

Response time was very quick, but not a lot of time given to prepare for interviews before. Everyone I interviewed with was extremely kind and casual.

Interview Questions

• What components would you need to set up an air conditioner, and how would you do so? Note: They were pretty good at helping think through the problem and explaining things if you didn't know. I didn't know 100% of the answer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Instruments (Austin, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

You went through an on campus interview, then were invited on campus. It was a full day with a host, going through technical, behavioral interviews, and you had to do a presentation on topics around your expertise. It was pretty formal and scripted, very organized. It was obvious that a lot of people were interviewing because it was done all together in groups.

Interview Questions

• What's something that would concern you about working at NI   1 Answer

Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at National Instruments (Newbury, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Personal interview with standard job interview questions.
    3 problem solving exercises individually. 2 were very easy, one was an algorithm for randomly shuffling cards I had to design. They weren't expecting a perfect solution, just to see you have a brain on you.

Group problem solving was also easy. Large amount of time to solve a relatively easy task. Just take charge of it in an appropriate manner and you'll come across well.

They took us for dinner afterwards as well which was a nice touch, to get to know the staff.

Applications (ELP) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Instruments (Taipei (Taiwan)) in January 2014.

Interview

First a English plus general engineering knowledge examination will be held to test the ability, followed up by your self-introduction about the topic of your thesis, also a bit about your self, then a 1 on 1 oral interview ends the first round interview. Second round will be mainly oral tests with HR director and Engineering manager. The last round will be with the GM of the branch