Nest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Nest

2.9

Audio Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the recruiter a few days later who asked a few standard early process questions (ie 'Why are you looking for a new job?' 'Why are you interested in Nest?') who then had two followup sessions scheduled: one with the hiring manager and a distance coding interview with another member of the team. I was then invited onsite to interview with the team and spoke with about 6 people. Most of the questions were pretty straightforward, until I interviewed with the hiring manager, who asked some more challenging questions. Overall I'd say the interview process was pretty polished and well managed. I wasn't surprised by any of the questions and everyone was quite nice.

At the end of the onsite interview the recruiter debriefed me and told me he had heard all positive things form those he had spoken with. He said he would need another day or two to speak with the team members he hadn't heard from. The interview was on a Friday and I received a phone call from the recruiter in the afternoon the following Monday saying they'd like to move forward and make an offer.

The offer process was not nearly as efficient as the rest of the interview process. After providing references and going through a background check I think it took about 2 weeks to receive an offer letter.

I ended up signing with another company, but I felt like Nest did a great job in the recruitment and interview phases of the hiring process. The offer phase was a bit slow.

Good experience overall.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

This might be a one off, but I have never experienced such lack of interest in the candidate you are interviewing. The interview started 5 minutes late, and first thing the interviewer said was, "hello, can you open the collabedit link?". One problem was then copy pasted from career cup and interview began without any introduction. I started my thought process and explaining what I wanted to write, and got interpreted as "ok ok just write code now". Coding question was done in 15 minutes, but There was a huge language barrier. The interviewer kept interrupting me, and not even speaking clearly. I mentioned that I don't understand what she was trying to say, but to no avail. Anyway, I took clues from few words I understood, and what she wanted me to write.

Interviewer then asked me to write recursive calls and parameter values as a walk through, which I did, and she said that was wrong. I wasn't wrong (I checked later on eclipse to confirm), but at that point I was talking to a wall. Interviewer had no understanding of pass by value or reference and kept 'correcting' me. I tried to explain thats not how java works, but I couldn't understand what she wanted.

The interviewer then cut the call without any closing questions, and/or saying anything. Oh well, I guess that was it. I have cleared several phone screens, but this one made me go 'hello! talk to me! I solved your question' in the middle of the interview. I somehow got onsite call, but I am not even planning to go onsite after this experience.

Interview Questions

• Sum of root to leaf nodes in a tree that equals to given input value.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest in February 2015.

Interview

Two technical interviews were conducted (over phone). It was a very quick process The interviewers were friendly and helpful. They gave a good description of the nature of work that I would be doing, and gave satisfactory answers to my questions. They moved really fast after I told them about other offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Nest's hiring process for Software Engineers seems pretty comparable to most other Silicon Valley companies. Despite being acquired by Google, they still have their own independent jobs board and hiring process. I went through the following steps:

Phone screen:
    - 1 coding

On-site interviews:
    - 3 coding
    - 1 system design
    - 2 behavioral (including hiring manager)

All the engineers I met seemed very smart and motivated. However, a common theme that emerged in my conversations was that many of them felt concerned that Nest was becoming more and more chaotic and inefficient (process-wise) with its recent huge growth in headcount.

After the on-site interviews, they took about a week to extend an offer. In the end, I declined as I had a more attractive opportunity with another major tech company, plus I felt a bit uneasy over what I heard about Nest's internal issues.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose due to NDA. But I can say that all the coding questions were pretty typical, just like the ones for most other Silicon Valley companies. The system design question was more focused on a Nest-specific scenario.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

The recruiters were quick with feedback but disappeared once they set an onsite date. Travel documents were incorrect and were not fixed until the last minute. Phone calls and emails were not returned. I had to follow up multiple times to submit expense receipts.

Interview Questions

• Standard tech interview questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. I had 2 telephonic interviews. I could not convince interviewers that I am good fit for nest. Questions were easy and standard. I was not that into nest after reading the reviews here.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest in March 2018.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter who asked me for multiple available times to talk to an engineer over the next week. Gave her the times, then she didn't respond until a week and a half later. Scheduled a call for the next day with an engineer in the Boulder office since I was off that day (it was my birthday, so figured why not?). Week later I emailed the recruiter to find out what the status was, but her email was disconnected. Contacted another Nest recruiter on LinkedIn, who forwarded my information off to another recruiter. Got this email back from him

"I'm a member of Nest's recruiting team and I work closely with our Apps teams. I received your information from my recruiting partner <redacted> who mentioned that you have been waiting to hear back regarding a recent phone interview from 3/15. I want to apologize for the long delay and promise you that I will have a decision by end of day tomorrow. We appreciate the time you spend speaking with us."

Although he promised to get back to me the next day, I didn't hear back so I emailed a couple days later. I finally emailed again a week after the initial email and still no response. Overall Nest's recruiters are some of least organized I've dealt with, and obviously they don't mean what they say or value the time of engineers that they're trying to bring on.

Update: Finally got emailed back after contacting again, and they mentioned they weren't moving forward via the interview. No actual feedback, so I'm not sure how true this is since I really don't trust their recruiters to be straight forward at this point. Probably dodged a bullet though.

Interview Questions

• Walk through making a dual linked list in Java, adding values to it, searching, etc. Talked a bit about his team and what they do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Interview

Beside calls with HR, the full interview process consisted of 1 phone coding interview of 45 mn and then 4 coding interviews of 45 mn each, plus a lunch in the middle at the cafeteria.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Scheduled a phone interview in a week. 45 mins interview. Interviewer described what the team does. Then asked one data strcuture design question. Interviewer was helpful. You must be very good at DS.

Interview Questions

• Gave a problem and asked to design a data structure for it. Then asked some follow up questions related to threading.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Introduce a project on my resume. Basic questions about concepts of OO Design. Two easy algorithm problems. My suggestion would be when preparing for the interview, make sure you are clear about all basic concepts of OO Design and the features of the programming language you are using.

Interview Questions

• Comparison of basic data structures and when do you choose each of them.   Answer Question