Nest Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nest Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2017

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Interview was pretty standard for a Front End position. Initial call with the recruiter, then a phone screen where the interview asked a mixture of HTML/CSS and JS questions. I was invited on-site and interviewed with 5 different people. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and every interview was polite and helpful.

Embedded Applications Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with online app for coding followed by an on site interview; the interviewers were very nice, we used mostly C since it is my strongest language and C++ and object oriented design were required for this position.

Market Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

First interview for 30 mins with recruiter was pretty basic and professional. Was told at the end of the call that I would meet with the hiring manager next and that was scheduled promptly. Next spoke on phone with hiring manager for 25 mins (she was late) but had a good call that was very situational regarding the role and the challenges they are looking to tackle. Was called in for a full panel of interviews (about 7 ppl). All great people and had very comfortable conversational discussions. I felt it went very well and was told the process would continue in a few days. I never heard back from them until I tracked the recruiter down weeks later via phone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were surprised by the data you were reviewing?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got call from HR about a software engineer position at Nest Lab. Based on the JD I am confident I got the right skill set for it. HR arranged a technical phone interviewwith one of Nest Software Engineer. The interview was scheduled for 1 hour, including a 45 min codepader online test.

The Engineer called me a few minutes later, he quickly introduced his company and asked me to introduce myself. I briefly explained my current position, and the previous company I worked for. It took no more than 5 minutes.

Surprisingly, the Nest Engineer concluded that this is the end of the interview. No any coding questions, no any technical question. I specifically asked him that the HR arranged online coding test via codepader and she sent the link, the Engineer said no, the interview is done.

The whole conversation took no more than 5 minutes.

This is really the most creepy interview phone call I ever had.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest in April 2017.

Interview

HR reached out to me after I had applied online to set up a technical interview. Interview was scheduled for 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about the company and its products and what his job looked like . He then started with tell me about yourself? Then some questions with respect to my projects, some questions on C and experience followed by a coding round where I had to correct a part of code and also write a code from scratch. Both were based on pointers. I was pretty bad at pointers at that time, couldn't nail it! Got a rejection after 2 days, which was as I had expected.
    C questions: dangling pointer, why and where are void pointers used

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

submit resume online. almost a month later get email to arrange online interview.
    a manager ask some questions according to my resume and a simple coding question.
    a engineer ask me to debug code and solve problem.
    each interview is about 45 mins.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

HR chat + 2 rounds of phone interviews. Quickly move to onsite interview. Meet 5 people there. Never get an update on the final result. I just assume I am rejected.

Social Marketing Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest in January 2017.

Interview

Screening interview. They barely asked anything - the conversation lasted less than 15 minutes. Didn't hear from them for weeks despite the recruiter telling me that they would be in touch. When I followed up after a few weeks he told me that they had moved on with other candidates. Really unpleasant experience - I know it's a Google company but they could show a shred of decency.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience (nothing else) and my salary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Introduce a project on my resume. Basic questions about concepts of OO Design. Two easy algorithm problems. My suggestion would be when preparing for the interview, make sure you are clear about all basic concepts of OO Design and the features of the programming language you are using.

Interview Questions

• Comparison of basic data structures and when do you choose each of them.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I had a phone screen and then met with 5-6 people onsite. I was impressed with the interview team and the interview process. I also liked the fact that we had lunch onsite in their cafe.