Netflix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Netflix Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got a phone call from the recruiter. I have studied the Netflix cultures slides before. The recruiter asks me about what i have done and some questions about what i learnt from Netflix culture from the slides. That was all. Next day, i received an email saying i am not a good fit for the position! Without any contact with the team or any technical discussion.

Interview Questions

• Just about Netflix culture. And why i want to join Netflix   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Interview

I had a great candidate experience while interviewing. My point of contact was communicative and in constant touch with me in case I had any questions. I was welcomed with great staff, a welcome bag and had great conversations with each interviewer.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

I interviewed in person with 4 recruiters and a senior manager in the group I would be recruiting for. Almost everyone I met is very new to Netflix and barely there for a year. I got the sense that each person interpreted "freedom and responsibility" differently. They emphasized the work atmosphere as high performing, non micro-managing, and an active feedback culture. However when I asked each of them to give me examples of feedback they have received, the responses appeared to show a "micromanaged" environment. One recruiter said another teammate told him to not reply all to emails because he was stepping on her toes. I received feedback as well, noting that I should respond to all recruiting emails with "a thank you and that I received the email". My understanding was that I would receive feedback that would help me improve as a recruiter, i.e. providing context about the bigger picture, not about irrelevant day to day issues. They boast a year long maternity leave policy, but 2 interviewers, who were pregnant were both taking less than 6 months. My assumption is that the benefit is all for branding and that anyone that actually takes the full time off would probably get blacklisted in the firm. The senior manager had an impressive background, and he definitely showed it. He came in late and didn't make a ton of eye contact. He said he partners with recruiting but acted like I was wasting his time. He loved to interrupt the interview process with his own thoughts and would stop me mid way to ask follow up questions when I hadn't even finished my initial answers. He basically told me so far they've tried everything possible to recruit and it's still very difficult to attract talent. Overall, the recruiting process was a bit disjointed, but that isn't out of the ordinary for a firm with so many new people. I would be surprised if any of these people will still be at Netflix in a year. I decided not to move forward in the process after this interview because it was clearly not a fit for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you were able to influence the business.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The interview went smoothly, even though I know they interview a ton of people. Although I didn't get the position, the recruiter is submitting my resume for other positions within the company.

Interview Questions

• Why animation?
      What do you enjoy most about the Netflix culture?
      Why are you choosing to leave your current position?
      Where do you see Netflix in 5 years time within film?
      Answer Question

Senior UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process started off with an initial phone interview with a Netflix recruiter that went very well. After that I was scheduled with a one on one video technical interview. The interviewer was approximately 10 minutes late, and then he had to fumble around to get everything set up on his end.

He disabled his camera before the video technical interview, so I could not see him but he could see me. I thought this was very strange, and gave the feeling of being watched through a two way mirror. The live coding was broken down into two parts (one replicating a layout and the other was a functional problem).

The entire process was very rushed, the wording for the problems was very confusing (could have and should have been worded better), and on top of that, the ending time for the interview was not adjusted ( to accommodate for his tardiness and preparation).

After the interview, I was left very disappointed in regards to the interview process, and thought that a company such as Netflix would supply a more prepared interview.

Interview Questions

• Replicate a layout and some functionality (js, css, html). Then solve a functional coding problem.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in March 2017.

Interview

My software engineer interview at netflix
    Spoke to recruiter after applying on their website, he gave me a cringeworthy corporate spiel about “netflix values” and asked me to read 125 page slide deck about it .
    Dev manager sent me an coding exercise and asked me to share it via github. Which I did.
    He called me next week and said he is rejecting me because of following reasons

I used java 7 instead of java 8 which shows them that I don’t keep up with new tech. When I responded that I actually use java 8 at work and all my open source code is written in java 8 for him to look and his exercise didn’t explicitly mention which version of java to use, he accused me of not taking feedback gracefully which is against netflix values.

2. private method takes concrete hashmap instead of map

3. exception class extends throwable instead of Exception.

Interview Questions

• why do you not like java 8   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

Interviewed for a software engineer position with heavy focus on analytical and measurement background. All three interviewers focused on analytical and experimental design questions, no software engineering questions asked at all. Several days later I was turned down with a reason "you qualified in the analytical and data aspect, but we were looking for a product engineer."

Interview Questions

• One PM asked about designing A/B testing, brainstorming how to get users back.

One Data Scientist asked SQL query questions, and probed some design considerations in creating A/B tests.

One engineer asked me to thoroughly design a staged launch plan including pre-launch A/B testings. He mentioned it's an open question and let me design it freely.
      1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in March 2017.

Interview

Manager direct contact. Scheduling failed to contact me. Followed up with initial contact. Scheduling set appointment, then rescheduled. Technical meeting was prototypical example of bad interviewing - looking for specific answers to domain specific questions without giving sufficent context. Looking for answers that match existing biases in the org. I didn't fit the mold, so although I was told I'd be contacted for more details, that never happened - and I don't mind.

Interview Questions

• Given a single day with a large sample size and a significant test result, would you end the experiment?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through the Netflix career website and then received a response the next day asking to schedule an interview. I prepared and took the phone interview a few days later. From the very start, the recruiter seemed pressed for time and rushed me through my answers. Interview lasted maybe 13 minutes. I felt as if I spoke confidently and gave good content in my answers, but I just felt from the start that she already knew she wasn't going to move forward with me. This showed me how willing Netflix will cast people aside and made me aware that I'm not comfortable with that kind of culture, as much as I do love their software and content.

Interview Questions

• Q: What resonated with you most about the culture deck?   Answer Question

Senior Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The phone round was setup pretty quickly. Turn around time to interviewing to receiving feedback was very quick. The Hiring Manager had reached out and we'd been in touch for a while before I was ready to interview. The interview experience was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Most of the conversation was like two engineers talking about various Android fundamentals, UI concepts and patterns.   Answer Question