Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is a joke at times but it depends on team and manager" (in 31 reviews)

• "High turnover rate, culture of fear" (in 30 reviews)

1. "Good company to work with"

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a good company with good culture

Cons

cannot think of anything right now

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck
    - So many good people
    - Such a great service
    - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix.

I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human".
    Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little).

Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days.
    But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound?

Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation?

Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life.
    The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place.

I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point.

Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired.
    Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right.

What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem.

I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations.

I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside.
    Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service.

As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past?

As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?"
    What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you.
    Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for.

- Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company?
    - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized?
    - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life?
    - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"?
    - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Advice to Management

Ask yourself those questions

3. "culture of tension and uncertainty - H1B visa holders think twice"

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good compensation
    - free lunch and snacks
    - engineers smart and competent

Cons

- atmosphere of fear and uncertainty prevails
    - the management can be ruthless, egoistical and political
    - projects get cancelled, groups consolidated and employees get terminated
    - most managers are stressed out all the time and encouraged to weed out employees no longer useful or not performing to "high standards"

Advice to Management

- start caring about your employees more and stop treating them as disposable
    - take constructive criticism positively
    - show some empathy

"Best company I have worked with"

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, a lot of independence, they truly live the culture

Cons

Very few opportunities to move to other roles, especially in upper management positions

Advice to Management

Have more mentorship programs. Create a career path to hire from ''within''. Instead of always bringing new people, help the people already there to grow.

5. "Miss the way it was"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coaching styles, teams, break rooms

Cons

Gave us up to a third party company

6. "Culture is a lie"

Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay above average
    Product is really good

Cons

Very political
    Upper management dont care about anyone

Advice to Management

Only the boss have the voice. Employees are just slaves that has no voice and HR has no authority to revoke bossy decisions.

7. "Awesome place"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Nice and open culture. Lots of use of open source and latest technologies

Cons

None that I know of.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insanely high salaries, smart and dedicated coworkers, high quality programming, tons of perks

Cons

Hypocrisy - Netflix claims that its culture is something special, but it's as political and hierarchical as any traditional studio or network

Advice to Management

Remember the culture that Netflix used to embody, and hold accountable the increasing number of directors and VPs who don't live up to the company's stated values

9. "Great job."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, environment, culture, overall great starter job.

Cons

Slow repetitive work, demanding attendance policy. Still super fair, well worth it.

"Very happy to have ended up here"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Impressed with common sense and focus and strategy from management (no joke; I swear I'm not a shill)

*Amazing pay

*Was worried about stress of 'firing' culture, but from what I've experienced the workplace is actually quite chill (everyone shows up at 9, goes home at 5)

*Very impressed at how truth-oriented and thoughtful the data science org is

Cons

*Sometimes not enough hustle in my opinion (too much discussion/consensus/curiosity)

*I mean, my job is trying to get more people to watch more TV

*Not clear to me that there's a fast path upward, given that hypergrowth in tech part of the business is probably over (but could be wrong)

Advice to Management

Stay focused, stay smart, keep common sense, keep the perspective of people who don't care much about Netflix