Netflix Reviews

Updated May 22, 2020

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
Pros
  • "The freedom and responsibility culture in practice allows you the space to do your best work(in 65 reviews)

• "Good pay and people are very smart and driven(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "Your job is always on the line, you can be let go at any point and people work in fear to the point that they expect to be(in 55 reviews)

• "The SLC call center is not like the Netflix you see on TV or in the media(in 41 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great place to work, smart people, leading the industry

Cons

You gotta love what you do

Netflix2020-05-19

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck - So many good people - Such a great service - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix. I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human". Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little). Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days. But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound? Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation? Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life. The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place. I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point. Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired. Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right. What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem. I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations. I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside. Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service. As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past? As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?" What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you. Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for. - Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company? - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized? - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life? - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"? - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Netflix2018-09-20
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

great people, great tooling, perks and benefits

Cons

really weren't any, this was a great place to be. I miss it.

Netflix2020-05-15

"Best Place I Have Worked At"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super supportive, inclusive, organized, systematic, and creative team. Culture and Values are off the charts, at least in my part of the org.

Cons

There is a lot of reading all the time. Don't join if you're not an avid consumer of information. It's table stakes for working here.

Netflix2020-05-08
  5. "Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Benefits Salary Flat hierarchy for ICs Freedom and responsibility

Cons

Highly demanding and competitive A lot of firing

Netflix2020-04-24
  6. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Developer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Netflix part-time

Pros

Pay is pretty awesome for any level.

Cons

Process can be a little jarring sometimes

Netflix2020-04-23

"Work there at your own risk for a short period"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, perks and Great resume buffer as well

Cons

Terrifying with anxiety 24/7. While working at Netflix it feels like you’re trying to survive rather than thrive. Your job is always on the line, you can be let go at any point and people work in fear to the point that they expect to be let go.

Netflix2020-04-01
  8. "It’s about fear and not about culture"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary higher than the rest of the industry

Cons

Culture of fear. Indoctrination into a culture that is focused on intimidation and unattainable aspirations. The company grew so quickly that right-fit managers for a startup are now managing large numbers of people and they are incompetent. Due to this incompetence, the culture has become cut-throat where many people have been rapidly fired without justification. Often it’s political because their management fears the person being fired would replace them. Management is dishonest about the “transparency” of salaries and raises where favorites are rewarded rather than those who actually perform. The higher people are in levels of management, the greater the pressure to give up all personal life including family and children. Successful executives are dysfunctional with no personal lives. The culture memo or “deck” is a deceitful document now. It’s become weaponized and is used to humiliate people and fire them. There is no warning before being fired. It’s a surprise process where people are often told they are no longer employed and told to leave the building immediately. Management then communicates a fabricated version widespread to many employees by email or meetings, often stating that there were repeated coaching and warnings. There is none.

Netflix2020-05-23

"Good pay, shady 'culture'"

2.0
    Former Employee - Technical Research Assistant in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, especially for a starter job. Free swag.

Cons

Phrases like "Use your best judgement" are repeated endlessly, while no real freedom to use your own judgement is provided. You either align to the culture, and make judgement calls exactly like those above you, or your judgement is wrong, even if you can speak to it. These phrases are created to explain the lack of structure and process that has been touted as 'creative freedom'.

Netflix2020-04-28
  10. "Great company, great benefits"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, flexible working hours, pay.

Cons

Environment gets political from time to time

Netflix2020-04-15