Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture of fear is real in some groups" (in 27 reviews)

• "Silicon Valley culture- work life balance can become an issue, things can get political" (in 25 reviews)

"Great diverse culture, work-life balance"

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart and talented colleagues, you work with mature people who know a lot but not full of themselves and take feedback seriously
    - Freedom and responsibility in day-to-day work, no micromanagement
    - Working with cutting edge tech and freedom to pick your tools/frameworks
    - Great work-life balance, there is no fear of being let go
    - The most diverse team I've worked at in Silicon Valley
    - Top of the market compensation
    - Company is super transparent about everything

Cons

Netflix hires mature people and trusts their employees to prioritize their work the best way based on all the business context they have. There is not a lot of manager oversight or direction when it comes to what to work on. While I personally love this, I realize some people can find it challenging especially during first few months at the company.

"Best culture, great colleagues, excellent pay, and real work/life balance"

Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* "Freedom & Responsibility" is a real thing, and is embraced by the entire company
    * Culture deck is taken seriously, and is a construct that everyone is constantly aligned around
    * Active & helpful employee resource groups
    * Interesting problems to solve, interesting industry, brilliant colleagues, lots of insights
    * Work/life balance is a real, attainable thing here
    * Unlimited PTO is respected
    * Excellent pay
    * Everyone has a proactive mindset and is always willing to reflect and iterate on "why" we are doing what we're doing

Cons

* If you yearn for that close-knit team feeling, you may not find it here depending on which team you wind up on. Everyone's awesome to work with, but outside of getting things done, it can be hard to feel a real sense of camaraderie. I think this is a by-product of having a culture of "Freedom & Responsibility", wherein the company isn't forcing initiatives and events and whatnot upon you, so if you want to do something with your team, it's really in your (and your team's) hands to get it done.

* Since there's no strongly enforced standardization of technology stacks, they can be very disparate from team to team, which can lead to duplicate efforts, or implementations that are too tightly coupled to its use case, making it hard to reuse much of what exists.

* LA office feels h e c t i c.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice—it's great to see our leaders leading by example and working hard to continue to improve (not preserve!) the culture here. Very refreshing and makes me excited to go to work every day.

3. "great place to work and lot of opportunities to grow!"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

great place to work and a lot of opportunities to grow!

Cons

You are basically a code monkey!

4. "Great Place to work for competitive"

Current Employee - FP&A Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - FP&A Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top or market pay
    Expected benefits from Silicon Valley (Food, shuttle, swag, phones, laptops, etc.)
    Autonomy
    Lots of career development opportunities

Cons

Company is growing significantly and struggling to maintain culture as it becomes a big company.
    Los Gatos is far down the South Bay for the SF employees

5. "Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of transparency and communication. Big focus on inclusivity and psychological safety. Team members are mature and I find have high emotional intelligence.

Team leader is great, delegates a lot, no micro management. She also challenges us constantly and give very candid and direct but always tactful feedback. I feel like I have a lot of opportunities to improve here.

Cons

Really struggling to find any meaningful con for now, but I've also only worked there for three months. I'm sure my perspective will change over time.

I've seen the "freedom and responsibility" motto used as what seemed like a way to avoid looking at a problem deeper. But it hasn't been a major problem.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch every day, lots of free stuff around the office, awesome co-workers- super open environment that encourages curiosity and questioning

Cons

Difficult to move between departments- easy to get stuck as an assistant in a department that doesn't interest you (aka a dead end, no growth)

7. "Data engineering manager"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

freedom and responsiblity. Loosely couple and tightly aligned model

Cons

high performance culture, need to perform everyday

"Netflix Product Engineering"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Work on cutting edge tech
    - Freedom & Responsibility culture is not just on paper but a reality
    - Never seen any other company give as much business context to employees.
    - Discussions, questions and debates with senior mgmt are encouraged
    - Risk taking is encouraged with room for failure. Senior mgmt and first level mgmt encourage you to move out of your comfort zone and grow.
    - Great culture. Company and HR takes efforts to make sure the culture remains great.
    - Competitive compensation and benefits
    - Helpful teams that are ready to help each other for the benefit of the company

Cons

- No formal mentorship program to help individual contributors grow
    - If you are not cut out for fast paced, learn something new everyday style of work, this is not the place for you

Advice to Management

- Keep investing in employees
    - Keep giving context and being transparent
    - Continue the "no brilliant jerks" value
    - Invest in mentorship program
    - Maintain the freedom & responsibility culture as the company grows worldwide
    - Tap into fresh grads for innovative and unbounded thinking

"Weaponization of culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some teams doing progressive, technically interesting work- content encoding, some machine learning teams

Cons

Most teams aren't working on anything very innovative. The tech is your standard microservices architecture, and everything gets open-sourced, with a blog post and a nice conference talk. Eventually these projects wither because no one maintains them, and sometimes they don't even solve very effectively the problems they tout, but it's good PR for the engineers and 'leaders'.

Culture of fear is real. My manager was toxic, he loved to talk about diversity even though he was the biggest mansplainer in the room. My interview was interesting, it was a monologue of his rather unique theories of engineering management, most of which was a bunch of gibberish culled from the culture deck. When I got there I found him to be a pretty ineffective manager. He didn't have any engineering vision, no idea of strategy, and wasn't technical. If you get into an interview room and the manager spends 45 mins talking about himself, that's probably a sign to run!

Pick and choose what team you join. You can have either a pretty cool time with some smart folks, or have to deal with narcissists who believe their own PR.

Everytime I run into a Netflixer- they've either 1) just been fired or 2) tell me stories about the people in common we know who've been fired.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care about my advice, and they won't care about yours too. lol.

"Fantastic place to work"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Super high performance culture. Always felt I was being compensated fairly and working on interesting projects.

Cons

Too many meetings. Starting to take on the worst of Hollywood (politics and power hierarchy.) Kindness really isn't encouraged