Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "culture of fear (lots of involuntary turnover)" (in 29 reviews)

• "Silicon Valley culture- work life balance can become an issue, things can get political" (in 27 reviews)

1. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very autonomous work environment - I was given more responsibility and freedom to take risks than at any other company before.

- Culture of transparency and feedback, there is a common understanding that timely and relevant feedback is key to one's development and healthy culture. Even in my short time here I was able to see the benefits of it - you always know where you stand.
    - Virtually no obstacles to getting top talent - lack of stringent process helps with being more strategic about our decisions

Cons

- No major cons come to mind

"Good pay and interesting work"

Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom
    Kind of work you love to do
    Work life balance
    Pay

Cons

Few brilliant jerks here and there

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck
    - So many good people
    - Such a great service
    - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix.

I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human".
    Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little).

Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days.
    But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound?

Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation?

Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life.
    The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place.

I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point.

Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired.
    Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right.

What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem.

I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations.

I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside.
    Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service.

As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past?

As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?"
    What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you.
    Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for.

- Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company?
    - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized?
    - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life?
    - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"?
    - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Advice to Management

Ask yourself those questions

4. "It's Alright Here"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

cool work environment and people here

Cons

long hours, management is a little pushy

"Netflix is the place to be"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

A great culture that focuses on freedom & responsibility and tries to avoid the pitfalls of typical Hollywood. You work among the best and brightest. You're treated like an adult in terms of how & when to do your work-- as long as it gets done and is done well. Plus, I mean, who can resist free food?

Cons

The culture isn't for everyone. If you're not performing at your best, you could be let go. Not a place for people who try to skate by.

"The right company for the right person"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Absolute transparency across the company. You can always access any information that any team is working on, big or small.
    - Strong culture and commitment to "Freedom and Responsibility"
    - Rarely are you told what to do, just a shared vision and you have the freedom to understand the tasks required to achieve that goal
    - Autonomy to address projects outside of your immediate purview
    - Great breakfast and lunch every day
    - Great compensation

Cons

- Location: The headquarters is an hour+ outside of San Francisco
    - Both pro and con, but being part of such a global company, lots of meetings happen over Video Conference.
    - Onboarding and transition from other companies can be difficult and generally teams at Netflix don't make too much effort to make the transition smooth. This can make the first few months particularly nebulous

Advice to Management

- Stay focused on the culture as our employee base multiplies

7. "Great culture - great place for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture - is an amazing place for growth

Cons

non yet - haven't worked greater than a year though.

"Culture of fear is real, tone deaf culture that ignores any voices that doesn't sound like their echo chamber"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place if you love a high base salary.
    - There's free food.
    - Benefits are decent.

Cons

- The culture of fear that's been talked about by some of the other reviewers is absolutely real and persistent at Netflix. People pretend it doesn't apply to them or they don't feel the fear (and will lie in meetings when asked about it), but deep down, the culture absolutely exists. While some of the involuntary terminations are fair and deserved, others can be for entirely political reasons - or it can literally just be because your manager stopped liking you, for reasons that may not be related to job performance.

Like just about every other company in silicon valley, there's a big push for diversity and inclusion. There's talks and usage of terms like "micro-aggressions," "safe spaces," and other BS made-up terms that needs to be distributed company-wide or department-wide. There are literally company meetings dedicated to talking about your feelings on some issue like this. Then entire departments will discuss it, and individual team managers will hold meetings with their teams to discuss it even more. It's so nauseating. If you even hint that you might be conservative, moderate, or hold any views other than the ultra-liberal, silicon valley social-justice-warrior mold, you will be discriminated against on the basis of your viewpoint, rather than trying to entertain a wide variety of thoughts and voices. Netflix ignores the fact that even in ultra liberal silicon valley, roughly 20-30% of their entire workforce voted for our current POTUS, circa 2016.

Advice to Management

"Diversity and inclusion" should really mean diversity of thought. Right now, what you have is people who look different, but think the exact same.

9. "CSR"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, subsidized meals, nice center.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about this company.

10. "Salary review"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great cafe

Cons

Back to back calls with no support for break time