Pottery Barn Interview Questions

Updated Dec 20, 2020

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Pottery Barn

2.1
HardAverageEasy
Found 168 candidate interviews
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Pottery Barn (United States) in Dec 2020

Interview

Applied to many of the open MC roles in mid Nov 2020, a few days after submitting my applications I received an email from the recruiter to schedule a time to speak. I spoke with the recruiter and it went fine -- she asked all the generic questions and told me I'd be moving onto the next phase of interviews which is with the team. This was scheduled for 2-3 weeks after my first interview and this experience was more of a conversation with the team rather than an actual interview. I was only asked "tell me about yourself" and what questions do you have for me and about the team. It was very relaxed and it seemed like they were just looking for a good fit more than anything.

Interview Questions
  • In the first interview round with the recruiter I was asked: Tell me about yourself Why do you want to work here How do you stay organized in a fast paced/stressful environment What is your skill level with excel Tell me about your merchandise experience
    Answer Question
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I interviewed at Pottery Barn (United States)

Interview

Fast, nice and easy. It lasted about 45 minutes. The person who did the interview was very friendly and polite. For some reason the interview was inside of the store with customers around us.

Interview Questions
Pottery Barn
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Phoenix, AZ) in Oct 2020

Interview

Three Interviews - with two different people - that manage the store. Very nice people who are just seeing how well you would fit in with their store. Interview was informal but thorough.

Interview Questions
Pottery Barn
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (United States)

Interview

Very quick and friendly, the process was a couple days long. The interview was just a few questions and was hired on the spot. Not to much paper work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

I applied through employee referral and it took three weeks to receive a response. It took another three weeks to get through two phone screenings before I was told to prepare for a writing challenge. After waiting a week for the challenge, I reached out and was told in an e-mail that Pottery Barn wouldn't be moving forward with my application. Why would you tell me to prepare for a writing challenge only to never send one and dismiss me later? After looking at the other interviews for this company on Glassdoor, it appears wasting the time of others is something the recruiters and hiring managers at this company are strikingly proficient in.

Interview Questions
  • Everything was pretty standard. Questions to see if you're a good culture fit for the team/company. History of work. Will you be okay with someone critiquing your work and making edits? Do you have an ego (without being directly asked if you have an ego)? Do you work well with others?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (United States) in Feb 2020

Interview

The phone screens (2) were fine but where they really showed their selfishness was during the assignment portion of the interview. Even after submitting a resume and expansive portfolio, they required a heavy writing assignment: - campaign concept - catalog cover copy - catalog inside copy - 2 editorial emails - catalog product spread copy - 2 page editing test After doing all this (6 hours at least) they passed on me without an explanation. I get it, it’s fine if I’m not the right fit.... but it’s not fine to require so much time, work and investment from candidates for free. They are an abusive company and I’m glad I know this now vs later

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (New York, NY)

Interview

I was called for the initial interview and showed up 10 minutes early for the interview. Miscommunication happened and the GM thought it was later. Once she got there she got pulled by a customer. In total my interview didnt start til an hour later. Things happen. Move forward. The interview was great, casual and fun. Felt a great connection with the GM and was later called for a second interview with the district manager. I pull into the parking lot the day of the second interview to answer a phone call from the GM apologizing that the district manager "forgot" but I could just come in and do a phone interview from the store. Ok. I'm a little bothered as to this is the second time of very scattered, disorganized actions, but again, things happen. The interview with district manager was casual but when pay was brought up he chuckled when I gave him a number. After 2 interviews, with the GM and the district manager, nobody called me or emailed to inform me of them obviously moving forward with someone else. I think its disrespectful to abuse someone's time like that. Also, I am very greatful for honest feedback and love to hear areas of opportunity for me to grow. But. If pay was the issue, be professional enough to communicate to the candidate that we are not a match based on those reasons. And if its for other reasons, be a leader and help people grow by giving them constructive criticism to better themselves for the next interview.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a coworker you helped developed. How do you keep your team motivated when times are bad
Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 5 months. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (New Haven, CT)

Interview

Ultimately required six interviews over a five month period. Unfortunately company went through a major reorganization during the recruiting process. Leadership turnover during my time interviewing caused the process to be extremely lengthy.

Interview Questions
  • When was the last time you shopped in our store? What was your experience? Tell me about your favorite product.
Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Birmingham, AL)

Interview

Asked a few questions about values and work ethic. Everyone was very nice and professional, whole process took less than 30 mins and was hired on the spot. I just walked in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA) in Jan 2019

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. I had a phone screen with a recruiter that led to an in-person panel interview. Everyone I met with was cordial and smart. After the interview, I followed up with the recruiter I had been corresponding with . She informed me that she was going out on leave, but introduced to me to another recruiter who would be my new point of contact. That was the last I heard from them. I followed up twice with my new contact asking for an update, and received no response. I will never understand why a company would invest 5+hrs in interviews with a candidate then drop off the map. I get the message and that's fine but it was delivered poorly. IMO this lack of respect closing out the interview process likely speaks to how the company (doesn't) values employees in general.

Interview Questions
Viewing 1 - 10 of 168