Pottery Barn Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Houston, TX).

Interview

Falsely mislead into part-time position even after specifications of seeking a full-time hourly position. Kept schedule charade going for a week or two after initial hire date. Management is known to do that continuously. They seem a little desperate for new employees because their turnover is so high.

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Palm Desert, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Brief and I was asked about my previous job. Interview lasted 25 minutes. I was offered the job on the spot verbally by the general store manager however they have not treated me as priority/new hire even after 2 weeks they still were not able to give me a call back after I called for the status of the background check which passed also all of my references which passed and still no start date. Very unprofessional. With my 8 years of retail experience this was the most uncalled process I have ever been through. If they are already treating me this way then that's usually how they will treat you behind closed doors. I don't think giving someone the waiting feeling is professional at all. It just shows how retail has incompetence of just a simple hiring process. I would not want to work here at all. I hope you are mindful when applying here.
    What you think I am still waiting around to hear from you? Get real and Get Professional. I am human and have student loans and 20 hours per week is not realistic especially when you have me waiting around. I know how retail is and hours are cut. How can they think someone can live off 20 hours per week. I hope the CEO see's this.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience?
      Are you okay with using a ladder?
      Are you okay with finding merchandise?
      Are you okay with 20 hours per week?
      Are you okay with unloading a truck?

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Tampa, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied at the end of January, 2017 and got a phone call within the next 4 days to scheduled an interview. The 1st interview happened 3 days later (sales manager interviewed me), then was requested a 2nd interview with the General Manager 3 days later. Everything was professional and not stressful. Both interviews, the managers were super friendly and made me feel welcomed.

Interview Questions

• 1st question: Why work here?
      Tell me one great experience while shopping at a store (name of the company was not required to be disclosed).
      Tell me one bad experience while shopping at a store.

Manager, Site Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process consisted of one phone screen, three interviews, and a project. The interviews were shockingly easy. For a site merch role, they didn't ask me any questions that had much to do with running an online business. E.g., no questions about how I would use data to make decisions or how do I handle sales slumps. They seemed mainly interested in styling and merchandising. They had me do a project where I remerchandise their gift department and recommend which product categories to drop and what to add. But then they don't give sales data so you can't really make quantifiable recommendations. I guess it didn't matter because when I turned in the project the said they thought I killed it. Yes, they used those words. "You're killing it". Then they hired a former employee and told me I was overqualified. Really bizarre experience.

Site Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied through the careers portal for multiple roles I was interested in and after about 6 months a recruiter reached out to me directly. The entire span of the interview process took about 2 months. First round: recruiter phone call/screening, second round: call with managers, third: onsite interview with a presentation on merchandising opportunities with VP of ecomm and managers. Ultimately the role went to an internal candidate, which made me question why I was interviewed in the first place (as an external candidate). I felt the process was much too long despite being told that the role needed to be filled quickly. I'll continue to keep my hopes up since I love all of the Williams-Sonoma brands and what the companies stand for (sustainability, high-quality products, philanthropy involvement, etc.). The HR representatives were very kind and helpful.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Incredibly drawn out process with excessive interviews over several months. I was extremely excited and interested when I first started the interview process, but lost faith and interest after about the fifth person I had to interview with. I was fortunate enough that I wasn't working during this interview process so I have no idea how someone who is employed could possibly dedicate the amount of time needed for PB's interview process. This process gave me insight into the lack of trust from senior/executive leadership in their district management team to make a hiring decision.

Marketing Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

I applied online and was reached out by the recruiter 3 weeks later. It was first a phone call with the recruiter then onsite with the team. The whole process was super informative and professional. The recruiter was super nice and really represented the company very well. She kept me informed throughout the whole process. Going onsite and meeting the team, they were so nice and immediately I felt I can work here. Questions were very straight forward, nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking?

What are your weaknesses?

Why do you want to work here and why this role?

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

HR was kind and helpful and also prompt. Then when interviewing with managers did a SWOT project and presented twice over Skype. Was never asked to meet in the office.

Interview Questions

• Swot on collection and favorite product they carry   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations were only bummed the original offer up 2K. they did not meet my minimum that another company was offering me.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Filled out an old-school paper application. This was surprising as someone who has an applicable degree, a resume and portfolio submission...i felt like being back in high school...first red flag. The interview was a piece of cake. After telling them about who i am, what i have done and what i can do, I asked several questions about the position; what the average day and schedule looked like and was given vague answers. The manager was evasive about what my actual responsibilities would be and said some days may start at 5am and others at 5pm. Their offer was the lowest of any firm i interviewed with. This is a retail position meaning you will be working Black Friday and every holiday. It is not an Interior Design career.

Additionally, they WON'T tell you or will downplay the constant heavy lifting and how physically demanding the job is. Your schedule will disappear if the store doesnt make money that week. The manager continuously emphasized tight payroll.

Ask specifically what duties will be required of the position you seek.
    Ask if the job is new or you are replacing someone who left.
    Ask what the rate of turnover is for your position and the store as a whole.
    Ask what percentage of the day will require heavy lifting (if this is a problem for you).
    Ask how many hours (minimum) you will work each week and if there are on-call or call-off hours.

After reading all the bad reviews of the both employees and customer satisfaction, i declined their job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? What days and hours are you available? What is your experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They called to offer the job. Again, pressed them for specifics and they wouldn't give me straight answers. They wanted a decision that day. A company who is actively recruiting you won't force a 24 hour decision. I said no thanks.

Designer Sales Position Interview

Interview

We were three applicants and and like group discussion. The interviewer will ask the same questions and one by one will give their insight or experience related to the question. The person conducted the interview was very accomodating and was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Give a situation where you handled a difficult customer and how things turned out well.   Answer Question