Pottery Barn Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pottery Barn Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.1

Design Studio Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

I came into a retail store for a career fair. After filling out an application and submitting my resume and cover letter I was able to speak with the manager right away. He was very courteous and friendly. He read through some questions, described the role including the sales goals, and inquired about my availability. He also shared a bit about his background and the direction the company was taking in future months.

Interview Questions

• We spent a lot of time discussing scheduling, hours, and my availability.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I was called into the store and we had a very casual conversation about my background and goals. They described the position, shift requirement and the need to work the stockroom. Very nice and unstressfull process. A second interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I could work various shifts, holidays and weekends.   Answer Question

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

First interviewed with the buyer and within 20 mins I met the divsional manager all in one interview. After that I received a call back and interviewed with an assistant buyer and associate buyer. Also they send you a couple of projects to do one being excel related.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Very quick and professional. There was an initial phone interview that lasted about an hour with the Director and a Senior Manager. We got to know each other pretty well very quickly. I had an opportunity to ask many questions that led to lots more helpful information about the role, team and company. This interview led to a panel interview. The team is great! Such great questions and discussion points. They were very transparent with potential challenges and I appreciated that.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

This was honestly the worst interview I've ever had. The recruiter called me 20 minutes late, and was not familiar with my application at all. It sounded like she was driving while she called me and I was on speakerphone. She was very distracted during the call, and was not paying any attention to my answers. At one point I explained why I left my last job, and right after she asked me why I left my last job. Totally unprofessional.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin Hill, TN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Franklin Hill, TN).

Interview

It took three weeks to get a response to my application. They called me to schedule an interview. The manager told me that since I had worked for Williams-Sonoma I would not be a good fit at Pottery Barn. The manager was rude and condescending. The "interview" lasted three minutes. She glanced at my resume, and then told me that I could not lift 50 pounds; I can. She didn't ask a question, and clearly was not prepared to interview me. To say that the interview was a disappointment would be an understatement.

Design Studio Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

It was a very casual interview. Myself and the store manager sat on a couch and talked for 20ish minutes. The store I applied at was brand new so they were hiring an entirely new staff of people. Since I am currently an interior design student, I think I had an advantage, but being so young, 19 years old, definitely made me feel a little our of place at first.

Interview Questions

• How would you keep customers buying items in the store instead of going online themselves?   1 Answer
    • What makes you passionate about design?   Answer Question
    • What would you bring to the Design Team?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Houston, TX).

Interview

Falsely mislead into part-time position even after specifications of seeking a full-time hourly position. Kept schedule charade going for a week or two after initial hire date. Management is known to do that continuously. They seem a little desperate for new employees because their turnover is so high.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

A recruiter called me for the role, about 3 months after I'd interviewed for, and not been offered, a different role. They asked me to do a project before coming in for the interview. I'd already done a project for the prior role I'd applied for, and told them I'd be happy to bring the same project back in, plus show examples of my work from my current job. Surprisingly, they agreed. I spoke with the hiring manager for about 40 minutes and was offered the job shortly after. It made not getting the first job all worth it.

Interview Questions

• There were 2 roles available and they wanted to know which one I was more interested in and why.   1 Answer

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Palm Desert, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Brief and I was asked about my previous job. Interview lasted 25 minutes. I was offered the job on the spot verbally by the general store manager however they have not treated me as priority/new hire even after 2 weeks they still were not able to give me a call back after I called for the status of the background check which passed also all of my references which passed and still no start date. Very unprofessional. With my 8 years of retail experience this was the most uncalled process I have ever been through. If they are already treating me this way then that's usually how they will treat you behind closed doors. I don't think giving someone the waiting feeling is professional at all. It just shows how retail has incompetence of just a simple hiring process. I would not want to work here at all. I hope you are mindful when applying here.
    What you think I am still waiting around to hear from you? Get real and Get Professional. I am human and have student loans and 20 hours per week is not realistic especially when you have me waiting around. I know how retail is and hours are cut. How can they think someone can live off 20 hours per week. I hope the CEO see's this.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience?
      Are you okay with using a ladder?
      Are you okay with finding merchandise?
      Are you okay with 20 hours per week?
      Are you okay with unloading a truck?   Answer Question