Roche Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Roche Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2017

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Roche (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview started with a recruiter picking me from LinkedIn and he put me in touch with a senior software engineer at Roche. The call was very very strange to begin with - she started off asking me what was "UC Berkeley Ex - if it was a random school or was it something else". We all have lived in the Bay Area and any professional in software industry would know BERKELEY! So anyways I explained what it was and what courses I studied up from there. Following that she only asked me about my coursework from my undergrad which I finished 10years ago! I have 2 degrees on top of that and have 7yrs of work exp. I don't know why didn't she ask me any technical question, anything on my work exp. but instead was fond of only grilling me on my under grad coursework. It seemed so silly.. either she was technically not competent to ask me anything at all or she wasn't interested in conducting the interview. Also she didn't know what was a "BE" degree and asked me what was that about. (yes, I was stunned to be still talking to her on the phone)
    Then upon telling her more about my courses (which was the only thing she was interested in) - she snubbed me 3 times on the call asking why didn't I do a Machine Learning Course from Coursera which was so famous and instead only took Berkeley courses.
    Towards the end she asked if I was interested in taking their coding challenge and I expressed my interest towards that. I told her i would be able to take it only the following week because I have 2 other challenges lined up and she responds back "Oh, do other companies also do coding interviews, I thought Roche was the only one doing so".
    That was the tip of the iceberg! because anyone in a software background knows that almost all companies (big or small) give coding challenges to review candidate performance before proceeding to next steps. But somehow she seemed to be living in a different world - she didn't know what was a Bachelor Engg degree was, didn't know of Berkeley and didn't know other companies were competent enough to conduct coding challenges.
    Roche was supposed to send me a coding challenge last week but I think they were just uninterested in my profile. I haven't gotten the coding challenge until 10days later neither I have a reject from them.

Interview Questions

• NO technical questions whatsoever - be prepared to revise up on all the undergrad, grad courses ONLY you have taken   Answer Question

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roche (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Three part, three different interviewers, very friendly interview process. This is a company every employer should model after. They contacted me, then set up a time via email, they slotted a 30min. slot and they called on time.

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roche (Redwood City, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The Diagnostics group is planning to do some wonderful things and the people I interviewed with were really positive. But be careful. It’s a growing team and it was difficult to get them to articulate what they needed or wanted. With the exception of one interview session, I was not asked questions which aligned with the technology area I had specifically applied for. I was told by the recruiter and SW director that I was brought in for an interview to be considered for a few different positions since they were growing. I should have paid more attention to the red flags - it's uncommon to be told that you’re being considered for multiple opportunities and not see any job postings for other positions. But what really made me rate this as a negative experience was when I reached out to the recruiter for a status and got very vague information about the results and had to press for clarification on whether I was still being considered at all.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to do? What are your interests? Algorithm problem   Answer Question

Helpdesk Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roche.

Interview

I Interviewed with 3-4 people. Each person had a set of different questions. Was asked scenario questions such as what happens if you get a call and the user tells you they received a blue screen.. Also had to think on the spot.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Branchburg, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roche (Branchburg, NJ).

Interview

The process itself was not long. I first met with the team and each person asked me a question regarding the role. After I met the head of the department and was asked a few questions as well.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Roche (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Received an interview after speaking with a recruiter at a university career fair. They went over my resume and then I got a call that night to schedule an interview. The interview was on campus and it was around 30 minutes long. It was not very conversational like other interviews I've been on. It was more of a question and answer interview with a little been of back and forth discussions with one of the two interviewers.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roche.

Interview

Received an email scheduling a phone interview for the following day. Received the call a few minutes late and the interviewer sounded very unorganized and not sure about what the position entailed. He was very awkward and not conversational in the slightest. I was told I would receive notice to schedule a video interview within the week, but did not receive any call or email whatsoever. Unprofessional and unorganized

Process and Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roche (Berkeley, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at a campus career fair, applied online, and was contacted for a video interview after about a month. Spoke with what would be two of the immediate supervisors to the possible internship positions. Very friendly interview and overall enjoyed the experience (although I wish I had prepared for more in depth technical questions about my resume).

Interview Questions

• They asked in depth questions on my research experience, "Give me your 1-minute elevator speech", "What could you bring to the table with us?", "Tell me a story about when you worked in a group and your role in it", and a few others.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roche in April 2017.

Interview

I first submitted a resume and form for a Project Management Intern position. Spoke to the manager for the internship for 30 min. Referred to Marketing Intern manager. Spoke to her and her manager, each about 30 min. Then spoke to HR rep for 30 min.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite brand and why?   1 Answer

Bioinformatics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roche (Pleasanton, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I did two runs of interviews. First run was with the director of project who I would report to. The second was with a colleague, not technical. The interviews were quite pleasant.

Interview Questions

• What's you career goal? Are you comfortable with linux?How do you typical get the data related to some cancer? How do you evaluate variant calling methods.   Answer Question