Shell Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Shell Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

3.4

Engineer Interview

Interview

telephone interview, 2 rounds. The 2nd round is major-related, and interviewed by engineers in the department that is considering to hire you. There are in total three engineers call me and ask questions about experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Shell

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Ithaca, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Behavioral questions and discussion of values. Very friendly and relaxed, not intense. Interviewer joked around, encouraged taking time to think. Discussed times in which I worked on related material, how I work with others, standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to change the way you thought about a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Shell (New Orleans, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

Difficult, long and lengthy. There were significant time gaps between each stage of the interview. I was not in a hurry for a job change, so this helped with the time it took. The HR rep was really nice and I made sure to follow up with her on the process. Otherwise, I would have started looking for other jobs.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online, was then requested to take a couple of online test (behavioral and technical), got an on campus interview, I am currently waiting to hear back from the company

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time you had to make a difficult decision by a certain deadline"   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shell in September 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position online through their website. Later received two assessments that had to be completed online. In first, you're given different industry scenarios and you have to come up with a response. Second assessment is more analytical based. Later, got a call the next day for an interview on campus.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to form a relationship with someone to accomplish something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

On campus interview. Very inflexible. Not a conversation style. The person read out a bunch of standard behavior questions and write down everything you said. You can ask the person questions later after answering the questions. This is different than my other internship interviews. No technical questions. At first I feel uncomfortable but later get used to the style.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavior questions like tell me one time that you go beyond your responsibility and take leadership. And other questions like how do you see your career path? But there are a lot of questions and it is timed.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Shell in July 2013.

Interview

I initially applied online for the position. Within 4 weeks I was invited to take part in a telephone interview. The interview lasted approximated 1 hour and was very detailed from a technical standpoint.

Around 4 weeks after the telephone interview I was invited to go to a final assessment. This was made up of three sections and lasted around 2 hours. The first section was a short presentation on my professional history and previous projects. The second was another round of technical questions based on the core competences required for the job, and the third was more behavioral based questions. The interviewers were looking for specific examples from past employment experiences.

Again around 4 weeks after the interview I received a call with a verbal offer.

The entire interview process was all done based on a predefined list of questions. There was not really much deviation from this.

Total process took around 4 months.

Interview Questions

• I was ask to talk about a time when I have been unable to cope with a work related situation. In hindsight easy enough to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I probably should have negotiated more!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Once you make it past the online assessments, I also had an in person interview at a conference and then was invited to SRD. It was honestly crazy and to break people down literally for 8 hours with different exercises and you still may not get the job.

Interview Questions

• It was more of being under pressure than anything.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shell (State College, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied online through the New Graduate application. Got an email about 1 week later to set up an interview on campus.

Interview: Lasted a total of 1.5 hours. They really don't look through the resume nor the transcript. Asking a series of situation based questions and your actions. They will then ask you to choose a situation out of 4 where you are a CEO then they ask a series of questions based on that. It is a long process and none of the questions are easy. I am Civil Engineer and no idea on any of the 4. Thus, I chose a business one but it was very complicated.

The interviewer was really nice and tried to make things comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are a CEO of a multi-national company, how do you motivate people?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

The phone interview lasted about 1 hour and 15 mins. The first 55 mins is basic behavior questions. Such like:
    1. The most difficult thing
    2. The most successful thing

Following 15 mins is choosing 1 topic from four topics which are about globel research group, CO2 emission. Cannot remember clearly.

In the last 5 mins, the interviewer will answer questions