Shell Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Shell Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2017

3.8

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

There was an initial interview at my college, followed by an onsite visit to their headquarters where there was a case competition type interview. There was dinner the night before the interview in Houston where were given materials to prep for the next day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Shell

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

1. Online screening test - tests your analytical and basic math skills with speed
    2. On-campus interview or phone interview (both are behavioral)
    3. On-site interview (Superday) in Houston office. Full day which consists of: fast-paced "email" test, group case study (work with all the other candidates to answer a problem), 1-on-1 interview about your performance on the "email" test and the group case, present an individual case study to 2 interviewers, wrap up with behavioral interview with last 2 interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you worked in a cross-functional team (team with diverse backgrounds and skillsets)?   Answer Question
    • Why Shell? Why would you want to work at a big oil company vs. a small one?   Answer Question
    • Do you prefer a rotational program or a direct role? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX).

Interview

SRD is not the best way to find quality candidates. The day consists of case studies that don't apply to the candidate's background and interviews. 100% of my group participating in SRD thought it was a terrible way to recruit (behind closed doors, of course).

Other offers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

SRD. They'll fly you into wherever, get you a hotel, and give you a dinner. You'll have a practice exercise to do that night - an email simulation that gives you some time to read some documents and then answer multiple choice questions about those documents in email format.

The next day is an experience. You'll take a similar test to the email thing you did the night before, but it'll be longer in material/content by a significant amount (10 questions --> 15 questions the next day) but the extra time given is not proportionate to the added material. Most everyone feels like they did horribly on this. Do your best and answer as many as you can accurately, but don't worry if you don't finish. They'll then sit you down and ask you a few questions about how you handled this process.

Next up in no particular order are a formal interview, a group presentation type thing where you (along with 2-3 other people) act like you're holding a business meeting in front of the people assessing you, and a case study where you're given ~15 minutes to study some material and come up with a plan, and then you present that plan to a couple of assessors. They'll change information and try to throw you off. React to what they're saying and have some confidence. May need to change your original plan based off what they tell you. Probably.

In between some of these activities, they'll sit you down for lunch with the entire group of assessors. Try to get to know as many as possible and don't just focus on one. This is a group lunch, not one on one.

Then you're done! It lasts all day and is completely miserable, in my opinion, but it sorts out people pretty well. It throws you off and makes you uncomfortable, which is exactly how Shell wants to see you. Anyone can come into a cookie-cutter interview and nail it, but Shell pokes and prods you and maybe even tasers you with that email thing, and then sees how you react and do the rest of the day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What was a time you worked in a group and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

I was invited to attend the SRD. It was a two-day event and is was very challenging. The first day we gathered in Shell building and HR gave us some orientation. And later we had dinner with some employees. Nothing would be assessed in that day. Actually they are going to assess your performance when they told you. Also, if you are a non-native, they would give you some extra reading time in some assessments. The first assessment is Etray. Basically you need to read the background information for 10 to 15 minutes, and reply 12 emails in 20 minutes. The reply are all multiple choices but its not listed like A,B,C,D, etc. You need to choice which one is the most effect to reply and which response is the least effect when you reply this email.
    And then comes the self-reflection, group work, case study and a final interview.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I interviewed through Shell Recruitment Day. The entire process was extremely in depth and they really get a good read on an individuals potential to become a future leader of the company. Not very technical as they are not looking for graduates who's potential is limited to individual contributor roles. The interview is more character and stragic visions based. If you make it to SRD they assume your GPA, resume, etc. already demonstrate your technical ability in your given field.

Interview Questions

• The entire Shell Recruitment Day was difficult, but something I enjoyed. There is plenty of opportunity to demonstarte your ability to to think out of the box in terms of business strategy, approach, and leading.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation as it was already much higher paying than the rest of the big players.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

During the interview my interviewer had lots of questions they wanted to ask me so the process was very long. However during the interview it was a very comfortable environment.

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

The Phone interview was a basic interview. Questions regarding greatest achievement, why do you want to work here, etc.

Interview Questions

• Biggest weakness, it is always a difficult questions but job be prepared fore it and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

I interviewed for 2 FA roles. All of the questions were pretty standard interview questions. You could tell they were going through the motions and weren't interested in getting to know you. I went through five interviews and it got to the point of where they were asking the same questions over and over again. The HR person didn't even tell me where to go for the in-person interview until the day of the interview! There are several shell buildings in downtown houston. The behavioral question I got was if you are the CEO and your production line releases a faulty product, What do you do?

I'm not sure why I wasn't selected for the first FA role but the second one I interviewed for was cancelled.

Rather than going thru the whole ordeal again I won't be applying to Shell and they can contact me if they want to speak to me. It seemed like it was a whole EEO interview process and they had an internal person in mind the whole time.

Interview Questions

• If you're the CEO and the production line releases a faulty product, what do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

Heavy interest in whether or not you have a broad range dealing with people from different backgrounds. Makes sense because of how diverse and international the company was. I was not a fan of their behavorial based interview. I think overall I did not click or mesh with the company.